Bobbi Brown BB Cream SPF 35 PA+++

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

That's Bobbi Brown's BB Cream summed up in one word.

Overview: "Moisturize, perfect and protect - instantly and over time. Now it's easier than ever to get great skin with Bobbi Brown's new BB Cream SPF 35. Inspired by a skincare/makeup hybrid that's a cult favorite in Asia, this formula combines moisturizer, treatment, Broad Spectrum SPF and a lightweight foundation in one. Plus, it's available in five skin tone correct shades carefully formulated by Bobbi herself. Consider it your skin's new best friend."

Price: I was so excited for this when it first came out, but I still had a bunch of other foundations I was using and loving, and this isn't exactly cheap. When I got a 10% code from Sephora's "Spin The Wheel" promotion, I decided I would just get it for the drier months. It's $42 for 1.35 oz while Laura Mercier's [in]famous tinted moisturizer is $43 for 1.5 oz. I suppose Bobbi's is more expensive because BB creams supposedly contain better-for-your-skin ingredients, but who knows.

Wear: I put this on about five hours ago and noticed some shine within an hour, and now my face is an oily mess. I normally have combo/oily skin, but it's been very dry here in LA and my skin is more normal (but still a little oily) than it usually is. It's also nighttime so it is quite windy and cool. It just strikes me as odd as Bobbi Brown consistently states in interviews that this BB cream is meant for oily skins and that her TM is for the normal/dry ones because this is not working with my skin at all! I'll need to powder throughout the day to make this work or maybe just powder more in the morning. I did not use any type of moisturizer under this and applied it to freshly cleansed and toned skin, as this was advertised to included the moisturizer step of our routines.

Color: The shades are so limiting! I'm about an NC40 give or take a little, and I am using the darkest shade, Medium to Dark. It matches the deepness of my skin pretty well, so if you're darker or a WOC, this won't be for you until she extends her shades. Bobbi prides herself in yellow-toned foundations, but to be honest, I found this to be pretty orange coming out of the tube, especially compared to Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer in Caramel. On my skin, it has turned a little bit more orange. However, getting a shade lighter won't fix this problem-- you'll just look a lighter shade of orange. If you are Asian like me, your really yellow skin will just be far too yellow to match perfectly with this foundation.

Weight/ Coverage: I don't really feel it on my skin, but I normally can't even notice Laura Mercier Silk Creme or Estee Lauder Double Wear (normal and light). I do feel oily though, but I can't tell if that's the natural oils in my skin or if it's from the BB cream. I would say this is a light-medium coverage product, leaning towards the light side if you consider it a foundation and definitely medium and maybe even heavy if you consider this a tinted moisturizer.This isn't designed to be a heavy coverage foundation though, so although the coverage is buildable, it's going to feel really heavy if you're trying to get it to look really heavy. I have some redness along my left jawline and I find that this covers it about 30% of the way, but even ELDW does not cover it 100%, even on top of a green corrector.

Smell: It smells like body sunscreen!!! Even face sunscreen doesn't smell this strongly. I am aware that artificial fragrances aren't good for your skin, but I don't see this being good for my skin either.

Conclusion: This isn't BAD by any means, after all, higher-end products use better ingredients so I'm sure this is better for your skin than $3 drugstore foundation. However, I'm not sure it performs that much better than something cheaper. It's just average. I doubt I will return this because I'm sure I'll need some moisturizing one day and it might prove handy. I'll keep using this and update this if I remember to, but honestly I don't see myself re-buying this.

on 11/5/2012 2:06:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This goes on beautifully but unfortunately doesn't stay that way. At the end of the day, I notice that it's sunken into my pores and flaky patches are highlighted. It also has a tendency to clump around my nose. I'm NC25-30 and was first colormatched with Medium, which was surprising because it's a pinch darker and appeared more orange than what I'm used to wearing, but somehow it doesn't appear orange once applied. A week later, I returned to a different Nordstrom and was colormatched with Fair, which also appears to be a good match and is much closer to my NARS TM shade, Alaska, in that it has yellowy/gold warm undertones but isn't as peachy as the "Medium" shade. Coverage is between light and moderate, so you'll still need a concealer for blemishes and scars, but it evens out skin beautifully. I was told that this product is great for combo skin but I do finish with a light dusting of loose powder to set it in the morning, and by the afternoon I have to blot but overall it's not bad in terms of oil control. I don't mind the sunscreen smell, which is very faint and barely noticeable, but it definitely has a thicker consistency that can be hard to blend and apply.

Between this and the NARS tinted moisturizer, I prefer the NARS.

Skin: Other, Tan, Warm

For reference I'm NC40/42 and wear Medium/Dark in this product. It's a real time saver in the morning since I can use this one item instead of layering on three others (moisturizer, sunscreen & foundation). I have combo-oily skin and only had to blot one time in a 12 hour period. It applies and blends quite easily. The coverage is pretty good... not too thick and not too sheer. I definitely took off a lippie because of the limited shade range. I mean I'm about the coloring of Nikki Minaj and wear the darkest shade offered. Crazy. Especially since Bobbi is known for being a great line for women of color.

on 10/29/2012 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I feel a need to write that I've only tried one other BB cream. I tried the Maybelline one and the color was off. So, I don't really know how the Bobbi Brown BB cream compares to other brands. All I can say is that I think I have found my HG foundation(like) product.

I've tried Bobbi's Tinted Moisturizer and Skin foundation, and I couldn't find a match in either. So, I was nervous to see that this only came in 5 shades. The Medium to Dark matches my skin perfectly.

It gives the perfect amount of coverage for me. My skin is pretty clear, but I have some dark spots where pimples have healed. This does cover the spots just fine. Overall, it makes my skin look bright and flawless. I do use a light dusting of finishing powder over this.

The only drawback to this BB cream is that it does not photograph well. That is to be expected since it has a rather high SPF. So unless you are being photographed, I highly recommend this.

on 10/22/2012 11:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

This is my first shot at a BB cream and I think I will stick with my Nars TM, I know both are 2 different products for different skin types.But I thought I should put that out there :P For ref I have normal skin.
Colors - Choice is very limited, has only 5 shade options. I am NC40 and was matched to Medium/Dark which is the darkest shade in the range.
Texture - Non oily, absorbs way too quickly for my liking..mind you this is my first BB cream..I dont know if this is how all BB creams are.
Coverage - Not that great, somebody with already perfect skin who does'nt need much coverage is a perfect candidate for this product.This did not do much for me in terms of coverage.Smells like the suncreen.
For the 42 dollar price, teeny looking tube..I will pass on this product.

on 10/20/2012 6:25:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

skin type is dehydrated and oily
I am in the shade Extra Light which is the lightest shade
Claims to hydrate/moisturizing , oil control , brighten , even out skin tone , target wrinkles and offers UVA/UVB protection.

Does it hydrate/moisturize?
Yes my oily skin felt really comfortable not too dewy and not too matte ( offers the right amount of hydration and moisturization for my oily skin )

Does it control oil?
By midday my skin is always shiny and greasy but with this I found that the shininess and greasiness was a lot less noticeable ( it's quite good )

Does it brighten?
I can't say it did because I have always had radiant skin.

Does it even out the skin tone?
I can't say it did anything for me because I don't have uneven skin tone but I did notice that my acne marks were fading a lot faster than usual ( my acne marks big or small take a month to fade completely )

Does it target wrinkles?
I cant say because I am only 15

Does it offer UVA/UVB protection?
Yes I found that it protected my skin quite well in the sun for two hours and forty seven minutes ( under constant harsh sun exposure )

Coverage wise it's very light to medium
It's medium coverage when I apply it using a damp sponge ( enough to make the appearance of my acne marks almost disappear )
And it's very light coverage when I apply it using my fingers ( enough to blur the appearance of my acne marks )

I cleansed my face using organic ( grinded ) oatmeal and toned with an ice cube
and then followed applied this BB cream

Would I buy it again ?
Maybe it's a good buy if you have the money but I know of BB creams that could offer the same degree of benefits for 30% less of the price

The packaging is ok

on 10/15/2012 8:00:00 PM

Over the last 10 years I have tried hundreds of foundations, concelalers, tinted moisturisers etc. I don't really know what "bb" means or what makes this "bb" but i dont care. this stuff is AMAZING. it covers, it's not oily, it doesn't break me out (my skin reacts to everything), the colour matches and it is spf 35!! it's almost unbelievable. pleasee buy it so they don't discontinue it ever!!

on 10/12/2012 10:07:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

i'm new to bb creams and i was curious, and as i need a daily sunscreen (i'm a fair-skinned NW20 australian) and i like the bobbi brown brand i thought i'd give it a go.

because of the limited number of colours offered i imagined it would be more of a tinted moisturiser than a foundation - relatively quick and easy to apply and forgiving colour-wise - so i was surprised to find the opposite is true. it's a lot stickier than a moisturiser (you can feel the sunscreen in it), and like a foundation it needs more careful application. i generally use spray foundation (applied with a brush) which has a very high water content and goes on like a dream, so i found this cream a bit stiff to apply (fingertips worked the best). and as with my foundation i needed to blend two colours (Fair and Light) to get the right shade. but it doesn't give the coverage a foundation does. it reduced uneven skin tone and looked natural - maybe a bit too natural ;-) - but i can get the same look with light foundation, or TM and concealer, so i'm not convinced i need bb cream as well. i will keep going with it though as the moisturiser / sunscreen combo could give it the edge during the summer months.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

oil control 3.8/5
(still need a touchup powder for t-zone)
balances moisturisation 5/5
brighten dull skin 5/5
UVB UVB protection 4/5
great choice for oily skin 4/5
lightweight buildable and flawless 5/5

on 10/2/2012 10:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Grey, Straight, Fine

I absolutely love Bobbi Brown Extra Spf 25 Tinted Moisturizing Balm in Extra Light and when it was time to buy a replacement I thought I would give this new product a try.
Unfortunately although I chose the same shade - Extra Light - this does not suit me at all. The colour is far too pale - it looks almost chalky white and clown like. The colour of the BB cream is much paler than the moisturizing balm. Such a disappointment. The texture is otherwise good and it is nice to have the high SPF.