April 19, 2014 | 1714 users online

Liquid - Bourjois - Healthy Mix Serum Gel Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2013 4:44:00 AM More reviews by felicitylw

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Other Eyes: Black

Pros:
- Worth the price.
- Buildable.
- Gives you a healthy glow: very natural-looking.
- Looks good in photos.
- Can be blended easily with other foundations.
- Packaging looks/feels like glass but is actually plastic: won't break no matter how many times you accidentally drop it!
- Can be applied with a brush, beauty blender or your fingers and will always give a flawless effect.
- Minimal to no transfer when it comes into contact with stuff.
- Lovely and very subtle smell that soon disappears.
- Doesn't break me out.
- Feels moisturising yet light.
- Easy to scrub off in the shower.
- Doesn't oxidise significantly (does a tiny bit, but it also 'settles into' the skin nicely and matches my skin tone more closely upon oxidisation).
- Lasts fairly well.
- A bottle will go quite far.

Cons:
- A little too dewy to handle my T-zone (I have combination skin) in summer or on particularly hot/humid days.
- Makes me look a bit ghostly directly after application, but this is resolved after it oxidises a little.

This is my autumn/winter HG foundation. I've been using this for just over a year and I still love it. A little too light for my summer skintone and a little too dewy to handle humidity/sweat/oil to be my spring/summer HG foundation.

I'm around an NC-35 and I use this foundation in 53-Beige Clair.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2013 6:06:00 AM More reviews by lil_pie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is PHENOMENAL. Better than any high end foundation I've tried, e.g. La Prairie, GA, Chanel, Dior.. And at 1/3 of the price!

I'm into products that enhance your appearance and is good for your skin. This covers every pore and crevice whilst looking like glowing skin at the same time, and is nowhere near as mask-like as traditional foundations. It is what it says- a healthy skin serum!

I have absolutely no complaints and pray this will NEVER be discontinued!!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/11/2013 7:07:00 PM More reviews by louiseannette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Definitely a foundation best suited to dry skins. I need to wear an oil controlling primer before applying and a mattifying powder after otherwise it tends to slide off my T-zone .However it sit beautifully on the skin and doesn't sink into pores. It also smells amazing and the packaging is sleek, hygienic and practical. I only wish they did a wider range of shades as 51 is slightly too dark for my very fair skin. So I tend to avoid using this unless I know I have alot of time to buff it into the skin to avoid looking orange.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2013 11:38:00 AM More reviews by kwill89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I never really wore full face foundation until recently, now I am obsessed with rotating between Laura Mercier's tinted moisturizer in Porcelain and this Bourgois foundation in shade 51!! My skin is dry/combination and at 23 I do not experience the breakouts I did when I was a teenager, though I still get blemishes and dry spots.
Bourgois is actually owned by Chanel, and as someone who has tried Chanel foundations, I find Bourgois to be INCREDIBLY similar, but even better. I have NC15 skin (extremely fair with yellowy undertones) and I found shade 51 in this Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Gel Foundation to be seemingly a little bit too dark, but it definitely is perfect!! I apply it with my Real Techniques buffing brush after applying Hourglass Primer Serum and my skin honestly looks amazing.
I get dry patches and this stuff just glides over them and moisturizes, but yet it never gets shiny in the T-zone or nose. It lasts all day on me, and so the verdict is that this stuff is just incredible. I was hesitant to buy this as it is a gel foundation and I associate gel products as being for oily skin types, but as I had heard better reviews about this product vs the Bourgois regular foundation, I decided to go for it and I am definitely glad I did! I'm recommending this to my mother who has an oilier skin type, as I know this will work wonders for her as well. At $27.00 Canadian, this is the same price as Mac foundations, but much cheaper than Chanel, Dior, Estee Lauder etc, but I personally believe it is better than all of them combined. If you're on the fence about it, JUST BUY IT!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2013 8:21:00 PM More reviews by emilytahni

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Sister company with Chanel, I was expecting good quality. Although it's not exactly on par with Chanel, the quality of this foundation is amazing (with a fantastic price tag!) -- it blends beautifully, gives a gorgeous finish (perfect balance between dewy and matte), lasts all day, and best of all, looks natural! It looks and feels like a second skin. I'm half asian, half white so my skin tone isn't pink or yellow, it's more neutral. Color 55 worked perfectly for me! Love love love this foundation and can't wait to try the rest of this product line.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/3/2013 4:37:00 AM More reviews by jessicar4bbit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Since I'm living on a budget and not able to splurge on fancy, expensive makeup products I was looking for something cheaper and decided to buy this on a whim. My skin is a pale ivory colour with yellow undertones so I went the lightest shade they had. It's nice. I wasn't looking for heavy coverage as my skin is clear enough on it's own - I do however have some spots and acne scarring on my cheeks, and this isn't enough to cover them so I have to use concealer as well but the overall finish is smooth and natural looking. Compared to other drugstore foundations I'd say this is up there with the best. If you use this in conjunction with the Bourjois Flower Perfection primer it stays put for hours. I did a test run yesterday and after 6 hours it still looked the same as when I applied it in the morning. I just used my fingers to apply it but perhaps a brush would give an even better finish so I'll have to try that too. My skin doesn't get profusely oily throughout the day, so if you have oily skin this may not be the product for you. But if you're looking for something smooth, light and natural and you have plain old combination skin give this a try. It retails in the UK at around 10 pounds so it's on the cheaper side but you get what you pay for.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2013 5:26:00 AM More reviews by sayakhansa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am in love. General background of me and my skin condition: 17, Southeast Asian with medium-tan skin, strong yellow undertone, acne prone, fussy skin (sometimes slightly oily but these days it's just Sahara dry).

I'm MAC NC 35-40 and I use this in number 55 which is slightly too pink but given the fact that it's sheer-medium, I can still tolerate the lack of yellow tone in this particular colour.

I love this. I haven't tried a lot of foundations, my previous favourite is MUFE FnB but it's really sheer and requires a brush to put it on, but it gives the same dewy finish. I love this Bourjois HMS because it feels so lovely on the skin and when I put it on with my hands, it's second-skin like. But the finish is what makes me fall for this stuff and I fall hard. It looks soooooooooo smooth! I swear, no dry patches are emphasised and I'm very flake-prone. It doesn't break me out, it doesn't make me look like an oil slick and it holds up really, really well. The fact that it feels almost like nothing on the skin, applies very easily and has a lot of sheen to it are ticking all the boxes that I have. It's very affordable and I actually prefer this to my MUFE and it's half the price of MUFE! Only thing is, my shade isn't available in my country but I've already stocked up so...

For those who like smooth, baby-butt-like skin and dewy finish, I highly recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2013 12:47:00 AM More reviews by Yuu

Rave reviews of this foundation on MUA caught my eye and when I heard it has yellow undertones it perked my interest. When I happened to see this in a drugstore I had to check it out. I have Asian colouring so it's quite hard for me to find products that are yellow-toned enough for my skin AND that works well among drugstore brands.

Price and availability:
I live in Canada and the only place I've seen Bourjois sold at is Shoppers Drug Mart(not all of my local SDM seem to carry the brand either). This retails for $27 and I do think this is quite expensive for a drugstore foundation, but I bit the bullet anyway since I don't use makeup much and therefore prefer not to spend big $ on high end brands or order online, despite the fact that I could probably get a high end foundation for a little bit more money.

Packaging: It comes in a hygienic pump bottle. One pump is enough to cover my face once. Since it's a gel that is not runny, I don't know how I'll get the last bits out of foundation from the bottom and sides of the bottle though as the bottle is long and narrow.

Colour choices:
It's quite limited, only 5 or 6 choices I think, and none for really dark skin. You may even need to mix the shades to get a good match. I use the 52 shade and 51 was too light, 53 was too yellow. It has yellow undertones so it's best to try it out in person to see if it will work on you.

Texture:
It's a gel foundation so it's really easy to handle. You can probably guess that this is a silicone based foundation so it shouldn't sink into your pores. Not too thick, not runny and blends easily. The coverage is light and natural so if you have acne scarring or other blemishes you will need to use concealer on top. You can also layer this foundation for more coverage if you like without messing up the first layer, but blemishes will still show through as this is not full coverage. If you have dry flakey areas they will be visible.

Although I have oily/combination skin, I have no problems with the foundation slipping off my face after lightly setting it with a powder. After 4 or so hours my face starts to look a bit shiny without powder touch-ups but even so it does not rub off when I accidentally touch/rub my face(I use a silicone based mattifying moisturizer and no primer). When I finally took it off after 12 hours my face was really shiny and the foundation had faded but you could still tell I had something on and it was not blotchy at all.

Application:
It's not as wet as a liquid so if you don't blend it out quickly enough you could end up patchy (but not terribly so since it's light coverage). You can use any method you like to apply it but I discovered that I get the best natural looking finish if I kind of dot it on a large area and then quickly blend out and all over with a fluffy dense brush. (I use the Ecotools bronzer brush. It makes quick, even, easy work of application but it's awkward for getting into those hard to reach areas around the nose with such a big brush). If you use a fluffy dense brush I recommend VERY lightly dabbing the brush in foundation slightly spread out on the back of your hand and blending out quickly with a light hand so that the brush doesn't absorb too much of the product).

Lasting power/claims:
It claims to last for 16 hours but I don't think it could unless you set it really well powder AND have skin so dry that you don't produce oil. This is a silly claim imo, who would need such light coverage foundation to last that long in the first place? As for the serum part that is supposed good for your skin, I don't know about that. There's only fruit extracts that make it smell good in it. It's silicone based so it's doubtful anything good in it will be absorbed by your skin anyway. I don't use it often but it doesn't seem like it clogs or breaks me out, and that's good enough for me.

Overall I really like the natural coverage and soft finish of this foundation, how easy it is to apply, how it doesn't stink (and smells good even!) and would buy it again despite the price. If you have a good mattifying moisturizer/primer don't hesitate to try it even if you have oily skin(even if it doesn't work out, you could save it for those dry winters).

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2013 12:05:00 PM More reviews by kata8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is the perfect foundation for my very dry skin. The best foundation ever.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/27/2013 5:38:00 PM More reviews by lizzylikeslipstick

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is just a great foundation- buildable coverage, great consistency, lovely velvet finish, no breakouts, nice scent, good value, decent packaging with a pump. It doesnt seperate through the day, just needs a bit of powdering after 6 hours and it hasn't broken out my sensitive acne-prone skin. But alas, it cannot claim holy grail status for me as it is too yellow-toned for my pale pinky skin (Mac NW10). It does a good job of correcting and the colour is very blendable, though I find if I apply too much I get a yellow tinge. It's still great for lower coverage days but it is a shame because I love absoloutely everything else about this.