December 19, 2014 | 1560 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Core Collection

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2013 2:37:00 AM More reviews by Heechul

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

So the three (Core/eye/travel) sets are the only ones available to the majority of Canada.
I picked up this one, and I fell in love. Flat out!
So mainly the buffing and the contour brush were what totally blew me away.
The buffing brush is fantastic for blending out my foundation, or setting a powder.
The contour brush I love for blush (in particular my Tarte blushes.) or contouring, of course. It's shape and the way it picks up pigment is flawless.

The other two, I've not found as many uses for however: I dislike dirtying or using my hands if I am going to be out all day with foundation, if I am in a rush. With the pointed foundation brush, I will dot my liquid foundation all over my face before I blend it out with a Shiseido brush (if it is a hard formula) or if it is a more liquid formula, i will use the buffing brush.

It's nice, and I did pick up another set. $5 per brush in Canada is an impossible deal to find.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2013 2:56:00 PM More reviews by Shaz809

Oh wow, I've had these brushes a week and two of them are my favourite brushes EVER! I have MAC, Ecotools, Sigma and other various brands but Real Techniques beats them all hands down. Even though they sell them in Boots I still ordered them on iherb.com because I was getting a Mint Julepe facemask (must review this soon) and it actually worked out cheaper.

I am in love with the Buffing Brush - my foundation has never looked so good, this beats the flat topped Sigma F80 because it is slightly softer but also less dense, so there is no streaks and really feels like the product is being buffed into the skin. The next brush I love is the Contour brush. You could easily use this brush for highlighting or for blush but I love what it is was designed for. I used this brush with my NARS Laguna Bronzer - contouring my temple, cheekbones and jawline - the effect is amazing. The foundation brush, like every other reviewer has said is waaay too small for foundation, you wont realize how small until you see it. I might start using this for concealer on days I wash my Real Techniques Setting Brush. Also the Concealer Brush is tiny - might use this as a smudge brush for eyeliner.

Even if I don't get much use out of the latter two brushes, the Buffing Brush and the Contouring Brush completely make up for this. Would be delighted these were sold separately...but until then, I would repurchase this set.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2013 6:22:00 AM More reviews by RachelisGreen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I am SO happy I bought this brush set! I actually bought a brush set for 17.99$ at Fred Meyers, and I got this brush, a contouring brush, a flat foundation brush, and a tiny concealer brush. I love them all! I love that I can use them with liquids OR powder. They all work phenomenal, but this is definitely my most used brush. This makes my foundation look airbrushed. I have used it with a few different types of foundation, so i know it's the brush that does all the work! I'm currently using MAC's Prolong Wear Foundation, and this is just amazing;. I love that I can use it everyday and that foundation doesn't gunk up in the brush and cause streaking etc. It's good to wash your brushes once a week, but with a hectic schedule I can't always do that and this still blends like it's brand new. This brush blows my MAC 187 stippling brush out of the water, it doesn't shed unlike my MAC brush, and it's just all together a much better brush for foundation. I always get compliments on my foundation when I use this brush, and I def notice the difference when I don't. My HOLY grail of all brushes. Do yourself a big favor and buy this set now!

rated 2 of 5 on 2/26/2013 10:41:00 AM More reviews by vuvie

I won't repurchase because I don't like all the brushes in the core set and wish they'd sold them individually.

Dries fast after cleaning. Does not shed. Oh so soft to the skin.

Pixiwoo really knows how to make brushes, that's for sure.

Sadly, I've only wanted 1 or 2 brushes from the core set so I bought the set anyway. The brushes are great but I don't like them all. A reviewer below gave a detailed review so I will spare the details here.

Love the case that it came with. Or I might learn to use and love the other brushes? Not sure.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2013 2:26:00 PM More reviews by NativeNewyorker

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been so pleased with my purchases of the Expert Face Brush and Starter set for Eyes, that I decided to add the Core Collection. I love these synthetic brushes that are so soft and not scratchy! Such a pleasure to use.

I love the buffing brush. I use it to apply my liquid foundation. It's not as dense as the Expert Face Brush, but it provides a very smooth, seamless application. I think both brushes work equally well for liquid foundation, with the Expert Face Brush edging out as my personal favorite. Both give a very polished look. My skin never looked better!

I use the contour brush for bronzer, blush and highlighter. I think it's great for shading and contouring along the cheekbone with bronzer. I also love it for applying blush and highlighter. I love the domed shape. You get just the right amount of color, so you don't apply too much.

I use the foundation brush for concealer under the eyes. I thought it would be too big, but it worked quite well for applying concealer and getting a smooth, even finish.

The detailer brush can also be used for concealer under the eyes. I find that the foundation brush is more effective for that purpose, but this tiny brush can also do a decent job. It's excellent for spot concealing on the face. It's also great as a lip brush. When you think that there isn't a use for a particular brush, you realize that these brushes are so flexible that they can be used for a number of different purposes. I think that is one of the most appealing things about these Real Techniques brushes.

I have been very pleased with all of the brushes that I have purchased. The Real Techniques brushes have set the bar high for synthetic brushes. I was so pleased with this latest purchase that I decided to buy the blush brush. I can't wait until I get it and then have a chance to use it and write another review.

These brushes are simply great value for the money. Again the case is the weak point. It's very flimsy and not well made. I did find it good for travel purposes.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2013 6:40:00 PM More reviews by johanas0719

LOVE LOVE LOVE the buffing brush! Absolutely the best for applying liquid foundation because it doesn't leave any streaks or lines. All the brushes are super soft and flexible and the bristles never fall out. I would recommend these brushes to anyone especially those of you who use a liquid foundation. Only reason I didn't give this collection a perfect score was because I haven't really found any use for the detailer brush, but that's just me.. other than that a really great set!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2013 11:48:00 AM More reviews by shadow102

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Many beauty gurus were raving about these brushes, so when I came across this set at my local drugstore I thought I'd give it a try. All the brushes are very soft. I use the buffing brush for bronzer and the contouring brush to apply foundation. I haven't used the other brushes or the case it came with. The price point is very affordable and I would repurchase as the quality is quite good.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2013 11:12:00 AM More reviews by Ladyleopard805

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Fantastic set,cruelty free, nice coloring. No shedding, wonderful will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2013 12:36:00 PM More reviews by anastacy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really love this brush set. I dont purchase high end brushes because I just prefer having large collection of brushes rather than a few expensive ones. Plus, there are really great cheap brushes that perform seemingly as good as expensive ones.

I got this set on BOGO 50% off on drugstore.com. These brushes are a great investment and the quality far surpasses the price tag.

They have a really good weight to them, sturdy and super soft bristles. Ecotools are known to have the softest brushes in the drugstore...but they just got beaten by Real Techniques.

The expert and contour brushes are dense but super soft and flexible. The foundation brush and detailer brush are also small and fits and flexes to the contours of your face.

I also like the carrier and how it can doubles as a brush stand. This is totally worth the money. I was so suprised how great this set was but I shouldn't have been, knowing that the wonderful and talented Samantha Chapman 1/2 of the Pixiwoo duo, wouldnt attach her name to any product that was anything short of spectacular!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2013 10:56:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I initially purchased these brushes because I really like my expert face brush so much, I wanted to try more of the Real Techniques line. However, it took some warming up for me to find uses for these brushes that made them HG (I don't like to keep brushes that aren't HG).
Buffing brush: I like to use this for a sheerer application of foundations, liquids, powders, etc. I love the expert face brush, but this is much less dense but still blends out beautifully.
Contour brush: like other reviewers have said, this is not the MAC 109. I get a much lighter application when I use this for blushes, bronzer, contour, or highlight than when I use the MAC 109. With my MAC 109, I have to dot the pigment on, then use another brush to blend because the 109 is so concentrated. However, this one is great for both application and blending out. I like to use this with my more pigmented brushes.
I found the pointed foundation brush to be the most difficult to fall in love, but when I did, it's great! I like using it for concealer, especially when I am not necessarily spot concealing but applying concealer for a red patch on my cheek, it's the perfect size and gives great coverage without soaking up a ton of product or just spreading it around. The synthetic bristles really make the most of the concealer product by giving great coverage while not eating up the product. I also like to use it for under eye concealer and cream eye shadows, especially as a wash over the lid, or for blending out eye shadow primers.
The detail brush is an even smaller version of the pointed foundation brush, and I found it has given my cream shadows HG status! I can actually blend and multi layer my cream shadows and place it in the crease with this tiny brush without having to rely on my bulky fingers, and it blends it out perfectly. I also like it for applying lip color, you can really sheer out or build up a lipstick's opaqueness.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No