MAC Candy Yum-Yum

4.5

Candy, rainbows and Unicorns

on 4/25/2011 5:00:00 AM

So i had been wanting a nice bright pink, matte lipstick from MAC...and then they came out with this! I love it, i wish i had bought more than one! I try not to use it so much because i am trying to make it last. It is nicely pigmented so i dont have to keep reapplying it.

This color is to die for beautiful. It reminds me of a matte version of fashionably fuchsia, which I love, so had the deep, bright shade but the WOW of being matte. I only wish it were more moisturizing and not so difficult to get the perfect look from as you need to exfoliate and moisturize first and even then it takes work to look perfect. When I top it with a gloss it kind of rubs it off even more. Still beautiful but tons of upkeep to wear!

Update: found a great dupe. Try Maybelline Colorsensational 140 Fuchsia Fever. Dead ringer but more creamy. Photo of me wearing Candy Yum Yum on top lip and Fuchsia Fever on bottom. Click continue to see:
continued >>

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Yes darker skinned gals can pull this off!!! I am a NC44 and it looks hot paired with a light base, winged blk liner and tons of mascarra... I used MAC's Prep and Prime for lips 2 moisturize after exfoliating to remove dead skin, applied it right from the tube, and it was FABULOUS!!! Exfoliating and moisturizing with the right product is extremely important!!! This is a serious matte pink and not 4 the timid or lazy lol...

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Just wanted to be one of the few voices of dissent.....not that this isn't a SPECTACULAR color, just that it will not look good on everyone. I am Somewhere around NW15 (but have to add MAC Face & Body in White to make it neutral enough for me) and this lipstick turned me straight into a jaundiced mummy!!!! I have never looked so immediately yellow in all my life......Except for that one time I tried to wear Gladiola....that did the exact same thing. This is not the same color as Gladiola (which has a way cooler undertone where CYY is NEON pink) but similar enough that I now know that I can't pull off matte hot pinks anymore.

I will try it when I am actually wearing face makeup, blush and some mascara and report back, but on my naked skin this color is laughably unflattering.

on 4/16/2011 5:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I love this lipstick. I bought the last one at my local mac store.

on 4/15/2011 5:59:00 PM

I fell in love with this lipstick when I saw it on Kelly Osbourne on The Talk. I agree with the other reviewers that this lipstick is not for the faint of heart. Albeit a bright neon pink matte lipstick it somehow ends up being wearable. If I apply with a lipbrush it tones it down a bit, or if I am going out I can apply right from the tube for more color. I use this with magenta lip liner and the girl loves boy plushglass. this is going to be a staple for summer. for reference I am MAC NW35.

on 4/15/2011 4:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

There's no point in repeating what's already been said about Candy Yum-Yum's brightness: it's off scale.

Unless you *seriously* LOVE bright lips, and pink, stay away; far, far away.

I already own the following MAC fuchsia/bright pink lipsticks: Hollywood Nights, Girl About Town, Impassioned, Show Orchid, Full Fuchsia, Fun 'N' Sexy, and Lickable.

Yep, MAC, I give up; keep right on cranking out the bright pink lipsticks, and I'll keep right on buying them.

Candy Yum-Yum is different, though, truly. It's not a deep bright pink like Hollywood Nights, nor a reddish bright pink like Girl About Town. I guess Show Orchid comes closest to being comparable to Candy Yum-Yum, and it's still different. Show Orchid is as uber- bright as Candy Yum-Yum, but the latter is pink, pink, pink, pink, and pink, while Show Orchid is ever so sliiiightly deeper, with a splash of purple. Both lipsticks are vivid and dazzling, but are definitely *not* dupes for each other. Believe me, Candy Yum-Yum is different from any other lipstick I've seen MAC come out with.

Even though it's billed as a matte, Candy Yum-Yum is more like a Satin or maybe a Mattene, to me, smooth, creamy, vanilla-scented, long-wearing, non-drying.

Candy Yum-Yum is light-bright piink, through and through. I can see where the "pink highlighter marker" references come from. To describe it as "fluoresecent" would be only a slight exaggeration. If you have an aversion to pink, this lipstick might make you physically ill.

But if you, like I, enjoy pink, the more intense the better, try to jump on Candy Yum-Yum. It's a fun, fresh, face-brightening, surprisingly wearable shade; just right for spring. Don't assume that you can't pull it off unless you're dark-skinned; I'm NW15, and it lights up my entire face. I like to wear it straight from the tube, blotted lightly, with Trimmed In Pink liner and a drop of Ms. Fizz Dazzleglass, paired with taupe eyeshadows. It's not for the timid, but for those of us who love bright lips, it's a real kick! :D

I've stopped buying backups, but this would definitely be worth buying again!

on 4/14/2011 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

For some reason, I thought this lippie was going to be a hot, matte, fuchsia lipstick. Once I received my package, which I like to add took forever to be shipped, I was quite disappointed in the color. It's not a fuchsia pink but a neutral hot, neon pink. I would say it's a cousin to Pink Nouveau. But, anyway, I'm not taking off two lippies for buying the wrong color. I have a problem with the application of the product. Candy Yum Yum is quite patchy when applied to the lips. And, another reason, I know this is matte lipstick and it's important to exfoliate and moisturize but after doing all that my lips, the lipstick emphasized my lines. CYY is a beautiful lipstick. I just wished it wasn't so patchy.

on 4/14/2011 1:16:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

the most amazing pink lippie on a brown girl!! I love it. It's matte so exfoliate and moisturize those lips first. It's a blue based pink that has a neon look. It's very pigmented. I love it. for ref i'm nc45-50

To prevent dry lips, as this is a matte lippie, i use Mac's prep and prime lip primer and i let it sit on my lips for about 3 mins then i apply the lipstick. Also, it looks really good with a cremesheen lipglass on top. I use ever so rich cremesheen. Just use a clear, light pink or light lilac lipgloss and it really pops, no liner necessary unless your a slave to your lipliner..

on 4/13/2011 5:28:00 PM

I only bought this color because I knew it was going to sell out and I had to have it. This color is unlike any other MAC color is is a beautiful blue based fuscia hot pink. It looks great on but I doubt I would ever wear it out because I am more of a nude lip girl. But worth it to have in your collection.

Popular Lipsticks