December 18, 2014 | 1792 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - One-by-One, Waterproof

rated 4 of 5 on 5/11/2012 7:11:00 PM More reviews by marianab16

I was used to "Volume Shocking" by L'oreal. It was my favorite mascara ever, but unfortunately it was discontinued. Finding a good mascara is quite difficult. I decided to try Maybelline "One by One". Firstly, because I prefer volumizing mascaras. Secondly, Maybelline as well as L'oreal tend to produce mascaras that have always satisfied my expectations (in the end, it's the same lab).
After trying it, I must say that "One by One" is a really good product. Really waterproof (almost hard to remove). Intense black. The brush called "the lash catcher" is very well designed. It's made of silicone. At the beginning, I didn't like that. Some years ago, I had tried Maybelline "Define A Lash" which had a silicone brush too and certainly, it wasn't big deal. But this case is different. The design of the brush is different and better. Its name, "the lash catcher", defines exactly what it does. It grabs every single lash, even the more difficult ones (the lashes of the corners of your eyes). The effect is great. It's not only a volumizing mascara. It's a lengthening mascara, too. Your lashes look defined, separated with no clumps. It lasts the whole day, keeping your eye makeup in perfect condition. I'm really satisfied with this product. I've tried a lot of brands: Lancome Hypnose, Revlon Grow Luscious, several mascaras from L'oreal and Maybelline and I'd say this product is among the best mascaras I've ever tried.
To be honest, the packaging is not the most elegant. In fact, I'd say is quite gaudy. But if I like the product, I don't care about that.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/7/2012 6:38:00 PM More reviews by LittleVntgeGrape

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I got a lot of mixed reviews on this product and after purchasing it, I'd have to agree with that sentiment. For the most part, One by One does what it says--It really defines and separates every individual lash one-by-one. I absolutely love how it grabs every lash and brings it to it's full potential--but that's it.You wont get any volume from it like the packaging indicates. It's an okay mascara for everyday (not dramatically dark, or voluminousness, or lengthy). Its kinda like an "Eh +" lol It improves what lashes you have but does nothing in the way of dramatizing them. Undecided if I'm going to buy it again. It does clump which I'm less than enthused about but I still give it a solid C+

rated 4 of 5 on 4/24/2012 9:02:00 PM More reviews by fuzzybee

It's waterproof (no, really - it is), it separates and lengthens lashes. I've found that one coat is quite enough. If you load up your eyelashes with more coats, the mascara will flake off during the day. I've been looking for a decent mascara like this for ages - Max Factor Masterpiece Waterproof was anything but, ditto Revlon, Rimmel, etc. So, please keep making this, Maybelline!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2012 2:45:00 AM More reviews by mirageangelhope

Your eyes but better was a great description.Goes on easily no clumping no flaking, very black formula.You can build this up without clumping.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2012 8:38:00 PM More reviews by beckaaayyy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I cannot emphasize enough just how amazing this mascara is!! I love it! It's separating, lengthening, and volumizing, all without flaking throughout the whole day! This is probably because it's a very waxy formula and that happens to be my preference over the more wet formulas. When i say "whole day" i mean from roughly 6:00 am to about 10:00 at night. However, some people might argue that it's hard to take off; i don't have that problem because i take off my makeup with olive oil. I also find that in some of the tubes that I've purchased, the rubber lining that would be responsible for wiping off the excess when you take the wand out, comes loose and almost completely comes out with the wand itself. But it's really just a MINOR inconvenience considering the fact that you can just pop it back into place, and that doesn't even happen that often. I have been buying this mascara at Walmart/ Target/ RiteAid/ CVS/ etc, and between these stores the price was always around $6- $8 which isn't that bad at all. I definitely would recommend this to others.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/7/2012 10:21:00 PM More reviews by coffeeholic17

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This waterproof mascara help up my curl amazingly well and gives lashes that extra "oomph" for a more "my lashes but better" look, although it can be layered for a more dramatic look. I like how this mascara layers without clumping. What i didn't like about this though, was its staying power. This mascara begins to smudge on me by midday like all the other mascaras I've used. A little disappointed, since i was hoping this would be my HG mascara. But if you're not like me and don't have problems with mascaras smudging on you, this mascara will be a good buy. Personally on the fence about repurchasing.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/22/2012 5:30:00 PM More reviews by clumpedmascara

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I didn't see much volume, but it did get to every lash w/o clumping! To me, it was kind of expensive since I didn't see that great of a difference. Probably wouldn't buy this again either.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2012 9:43:00 PM More reviews by lksandrock

I am very picky about mascara, and when I find a good one I stick with it. I happened to pick this up by chance at the local drugstore, and it does not disappoint.

I have very long lashes, and I often have problems with clumping, not so with this mascara (mind you, I do wipe excess mascara from the wand before applying AND I wait about 20 seconds between coats). I apply about 2-3 good coats depending on what type of look I'm going for and I'm out the door.

The only negative that I find is that it is a little difficult to remove, even with eye makeup remover.

For someone looking for a buildable mascara, this is definitely a good drug-store option.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2012 6:44:00 PM More reviews by darkmist

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

PROS:
doesn't clump*
large brush can still get into corners easily
really holds a curl
lashes don't feel crunchy
really is waterproof

CONS:
only average lengthening and volumizing effect
can be extremely sticky and clumpy**
can be harder to take off in comparison to other maybelline wp formulas

This mascara has its pros and cons, the weirdest and most frustrating for me was the clumping issue. When I first opened my tube and pulled out the wand, there were fat mascara clumps between nearly all the bristles. If I didn't immediately comb through my lashes with a lashcomb after applying this mascara, I would look like I had only 4 fat clumps of lashes per eye, no joke. I tried to compensate by dragging one side of the brush against the lip of the tube (when pulling out the wand) in hopes of getting rid of the clumps. This kind of worked but I would have to apply multiple coats since I was scraping off a lot of product in order to get a cleaner brush. I was quite irritated since the whole selling point of the One by One was that it doesn't clump. I tossed it into my makeup bag and ignored it for a few weeks. Then last week I decided to give this a go again since I didn't want to waste money - lo and behold, suddenly there were no clumps and this mascara applied so cleanly! Maybe this formula needs to settle and age a bit first but after waiting a few weeks, I can happily report that there are no more clumps at all. It really holds a curl, even with my stubborn straight Asian lashes and holds up well even in rainstorms. Docked a lippie though because I only get average lengthing and volumizing - it's good but not outstanding. And depending on what kind of makeup remover you use, this can be hard to get off. This doesn't make me go wow but it's still decent mascara.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/10/2012 1:28:00 AM More reviews by aeriekah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

-Does not weigh down my lashes, so I dont have to recurl my lashes after applying
-Very slight smudge underneath the eye
-It defines more than it volumizes contrary to the package description but I like the natural look, so it works for me

Unfortunately it is not waterproof. I had a crying session and the outer half of my lashes were mascara-less and straight.
Will continue my search for a waterproof mascara