John Frieda Go Blonder Lightening Spray

2.7

WATER, HYDROGEN PEROXIDE, POLYSORBATE 20, DISODIUM PHOSPHATE, PHOSPHORIC ACID, VP/VA COPOLYMER, FRAGRANCE, POLYQUATERNIUM-47, POLYQUATERNIUM-55, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, EXT. VIOLET 2, VITIS VINIFERA, (GRAPE) JUICE EXTRACT, ALCOHOL, CHAMOMILLA RECUTITA (MATRICARIA), FLOWER EXTRACT, CITRUS MEDICA LIMONUM (LEMON) PEEL EXTRACT, GLYCERIN, HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED EXTRACT, VITIS VINIFERA (GRAPE) SEED EXTRACT TOCOPHEROL, PEG-40 HYDROGENATED CASTOR OIL

on 10/6/2011 7:12:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

i love this product!! my colorist refused to take my color the 3 or 4 shades lighter that i desired so after a recent appointment i took matters into my own hands. i use the spray VERY liberally and finally have the platinum glow that i wanted after just one bottle. now my colorist is forced to work her way up to that stage each time i go in as opposed to me fighting her about what shade i "should" be. if you have a light color treatment/blonde base, you will see a big change in your color. be careful though. if you're not committed to all over color or are concerned about highlights, this might not be for you.

side note: my hair is naturally oil-prone and i find that this spray can be quite drying. once or twice, i've sprayed a little too much and noticed that my hair felt stiff. now that i have a balance, this product is essential for me and takes out a lot of my oil.

on 10/4/2011 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I see mixed reviews on this product and I'm not surprised at all. This is my experience with it. I naturally have ashy, dirty blonde hair but I get highlights, some lowlights, and a glaze with makes the rest of my hair a golden blonde color. In about 6 weeks I start to dislike the look of my roots and would always get my roots done every 6-8 weeks. I started using it and thought it was too good to be true because I was able to stretch my salon visits to every 3 months. However, this should be used in moderation and not a replacement to highlights. I wait 6 six after getting my hair done before using this about 4 times, every other time I wash my hair. Keep in mind I also use a very moisturizing shampoo and conditioner in addition to a deeply moisturized mask once a week. Basically, use this sparingly when needed and try to use in conjunction with moisturizing products and you should be good!

on 9/25/2011 3:38:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Didn't particularly like this I thought I would lighten my roots and maybe make it a bit brighter but instead turned my hair trashy gold yellow blonde eek no white tones at all it looked really un natural it also made my hair dry frizzy and dull looking won't repurchase!!!!!

no no no no no!!!!!!!!!
I have naturally medium-dark blonde hair, I get it highlighted to brighten it up a bit - my highlights were starting to grow out so i thought i'd use this as a temporary fix until i saved up a bit more money to get it done properly - REGRETS!!
At first it seemed to have done it's job beautifully, I was so excited as it really had sorted out my darker roots and lightened them dramatically with just one use. However, I noticed that when I was outside my roots were a lot lighter than the rest of my hair, so decided to do a quick spritz all over to make it vaguely the same colour.
It was fine for a couple of weeks - but gradually started to go a very brassy orangey colour, despite using colour correcting shampoos/conditioners on it. The regrowth is now terrible, my hair is a LOT drier than it originally was (never had a problem with it before) and the colour is horrible!! All this with 2 uses, so glad I didn't continue with it as I hate to think what my hair would be like if I had done.
Was SO embarrassing going to my hairdressers to admit what I'd done to it, will never touch this stuff again!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

When I first started using this product I was literally in love. I have light brown hair that I have been highlighting blonde for the past eight years. I just graduated college and started paying back my loans, so I had to cut my visits to the salon. When I first started using this it blended my roots perfectly. The results were a little brassy but I used the John Frieda purple toning shampoo once a week and my color looked great.

My hair looked great all summer, but I had to stop using this because my hair at the roots and crowns started to feel like straw ( and I have pretty oily hair so its always soft and smooth...almost too much so). Then those pieces eventually broke right off.

I stopped using this product because it really ruined my hair that was previously in very healthy condition. I have been using Hair One (Sally's version of Wen), argon oil, and a once a week protein mask, for the past couple of months since I stopped using this product, and it is just starting to get better. I had to get side bangs to disguise all the breakage at the top of my hair.

So I would only use this short term...it you must. I used this over the course of three months, and while the product really does work, it gives beautiful highlights and blends roots seamlessly, it totally ruined my hair.

on 9/19/2011 1:57:00 PM

I've used this 3 times now, and I'm impressed. I have dark blond hair, with highlights and in the sun it gets a little bit lighter. I always have the trouble when the highlights grow out, it's darker at the roots so you notice it more. After using it 3 times, it isn't fully blond, but a lot blonder than it was.
Not going to use it again till it grows out again, so I think a full bottle will go a long while. I've paid 5, for a bottle

(sorry for my english, it's not my first language)

on 9/15/2011 8:56:00 AM

GIRLS PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS!!!! I have totally ruined my hair with this product. What it fails to tell you is that it contains peroxide which is terrible for your hair. My hair is literally like straw from using this. I am even thinking of taking my complaint to watch dog (A UK complaints company).

The fact that it has no warning on how much you should use on coloured hair is dreadful. I am now having to spend lots of money on oils and shampoos to repair my damaged hair. Literally one brush and half my hair comes out.

I know it may be a cheap way to getting results but please do not use. It simply isn't worth it!

on 9/9/2011 8:14:00 AM

I bought this to help blend my mousey roots with my sun-bleached golden hair. First time I used it, it appeared to have damaged my hair and I swore never to use it again but my hair seemed fine afterwards so a week later I used it again and that's when I noticed subtle colour changes - my roots looked naturally lighter and overall it brought out some of the lighter tones in my hair. It looks natural and not at all orangey. However, I will use it sparingly - to protect my hair from any chemical damage but also to avoid going overboard with the colour. I don't know how well this would work for dark or chestnut brown hair though and I can imagine that heavy use might leave it quite dry and brittle. As this spray contains peroxide I would recommend doing regular conditioning treatments, I'm using pure jojoba oil.

on 9/1/2011 3:14:00 PM

I dye my hair blonde so wasn't really looking to use this product in the traditional way most people have. I picked it up at because I was about to go on vacation and didn't have time to book a hair appointment and was hoping it would slightly lighten my roots so the contrast wasn't so noticeable. It did that quite well I noticed a lightening and was really impressed with the results, I now also use it for a pick me up all over my head when I notice my color is looking a bit dull between salon visits. I really like the fact that it brings out the blonde without being orangeish or yellow. I took on lippie off for the fact that its a bit drying/ damaging so you wouldn't want to use too often esp. if you color your hair. My only other complaint it I found the bottle really small and I have to use quite a lot each time, doesn't seem to last very long for me, so its a little on the pricier side, but I will keep repurchasing because it saves me a lot of money by being able to go an extra week or two between coloring without the dreaded stripe.

on 8/29/2011 11:00:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I like this product a lot because it does work, fairly easy to use use- jus spray on wet hair and blow dry then use heat to get the best lightening.
cons: not cheap (my cost about 12$ and the bottle's not huge),hard to tell where you sprayed so it's not super easy to apply heat evenly
all over, i really enjoy this product and i've gotten numerous remarks of my hair looking blonder and i've only used this about 3 times.