July 22, 2014 | 2073 users online

Hair Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2011 12:31:00 AM More reviews by awonderland

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have naturally medium brown hair, with a long history of "hot roots". However, since discovering this product and taking a chance on it (at the time, I couldn't find any reviews because it was so new!) I can honestly say I have not had a single problem with brassiness. I had my hair significantly lightened at a salon in January, but it was still a very dark blonde because anything lighter has always turned orange on me. I figured something gradual might work better for me, but this was much less gradual than I expected! I was thrilled though, because my hair was noticeably lighter and shinier after one use (followed by blow-drying and a quick run-through with a straightener). After about 4 uses, it was the perfect cool-toned(!) medium blonde that I'd always wanted but had never been able to achieve. I don't know how, but this stuff manages to blend my brown roots perfectly in about 2 uses and I have not paid to get my roots touched up since buying this many months ago. I also use it all over my hair about once a month to keep it looking fresh and highlighted. I may stay blonde forever at this rate!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/15/2011 12:09:00 AM More reviews by SpicyCurry

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I give this a 3, only because it is a gradual lightening product, which is a type of product I happen to be a fan of, however this is simply a less effective version of Sun In at twice the price for less product. No thanks, I will stick to my Sun In w Lemon, which gives me gorgeous natural looking shiny blonde hair much faster, and much cheaper than this product does.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/14/2011 2:44:00 PM More reviews by nikki723

If there is one thing i can recommend about this product it would be not to use it. I had very healthy long blonde hair but i decided to go a bit lighter and thought i might give this product a try. I used it for about 2 weeks and the color pay off was very nice. I was overall very pleased with the product, but then little by little I began noticing that the crown of my hair was destroyed. It was completely burned, and to the point of it breaking off. I had little pieces sticking up because they had broken off the rest of my hair. For the last 2 months ive been trying to return my hair to its natural makeup. Ive been using masks and treatments left and right but my hairstylists told me the only thing i could do was let it grow out and never never never use this again. She said it might be because of the metallic something or other in the product but that it was a hellhole. I want to do my part and warn every person who might be thinking about using this. Sure it seems perfect for a little while but the end result will be the same. If i can say one thing STAY AWAY!!!!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2011 12:58:00 PM More reviews by wildrose83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Wow! I was skeptical going into using John Frieda Go Blonder Lightening Spray.. but holy cow! I have naturally level 4 medium-dark chestnut hair which I had been dying dark brown forever before going level 9 light blonde at home. As a result my hair was crispy, cooked, broken, you name it. It was rough. My roots were coming in and there was no way I could rebleach, because any overlap onto my blonde would result in inch long all-over breakage.

So in desperation I bought a bottle of Go Blonder spray for my trashy looking roots.. I figured it wouldn't properly lighten my dark hairs, but boy was I wrong! After 6 uses my roots are blended to a nice medium golden blonde. Much better!

Now the amazing thing - I was worried the chemicals would further damage my hair. Not at all! If anything my hair seems to love this, and it's finally in the shiny, healthy looking condition it would have been if I had blonded myself properly at a salon.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/28/2011 6:03:00 PM More reviews by ef604

Initially, I was very excited about the product. I was hoping to use it in between touch ups to help blend in my dark roots. I used it on my root area only and it took me like 7 or 8 applications to even notice a difference. The difference was not great - my roots turned into a lovely shade of orange! Gross. Anybody who highlights their hair knows that "orange" and blonde do not go together. This product does not have the ability to lift your hair enought to make it worthwhile. Also, it dried my crown area and I could see a bunch of little hairs sticking up, which is essentially damage!!! Not good. I tried to like this product, I liked the idea, but I would much rather walk around with healthy dark roots than with broken orange roots that look like a science experiment gone wrong. Will not repurchase or use again.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/28/2011 3:21:00 PM More reviews by BluntLogic

I wanted to boost my natural highlights and get a head start on summer, so my sister and I tried this product. It works effectively, but it's helpful to allow a few days time between each application to see the results. If you have any propensity to being a redhead, you might get a reddish or orange tinge with overuse. I like the strawberry highlights, but my sisters slightly darker hair looked orange-ish until she spent some time in the sun. I also dislike that I have to heat my hair to make it work, because I'm not much for blowdryers and straighteners and I have to work in a 45 minute blowdry for it to be effective. The bottom line though it that it works well for subtle improvements on a whole head of hair and the results have worked well for my hair colour.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2011 7:55:00 PM More reviews by ammyy7993

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have natural dark blonde hair with a few lighter blonde (artificial) highlights from a long time ago. So my hair was fairly dark when I started using this.

PROS
- my hair looked lighter from the first time I used it!
- works the best when used with heat styling tools
- doesn't look too dramatic, it's more of a sunkissed look so perfect for summer
- It smells pretty good, a little chemically, but with more of a hint of summer scents

CONS
- I don't think this would work for anyone with brown hair
- This does contain chemicals and it permanently lightens your hair, so if you don't want that then it's best to find a more natural method

All in all, I LOVE this stuff!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2011 12:36:00 AM More reviews by mac00chic

I love love LOVE this product! I was a little skeptical at first-- I didn't want it to damage my hair (it has hydrogen peroxide in it which is bleach...) but it didn't at all! In fact, I think it made my hair look shinier and healthier. Also, it was a little expensive for how much spray is in the bottle but soooo worth it. Trust me, my hair has been through the ringer: straightening (almost every day :/), blow drying, relaxing, you name it. All I wanted was a few shades lighter than my boring, thick, brownish/reddish hair, and that is exactly what this did. It gave me some beautiful golden highlights which was an added bonus. After 3 uses, I already noticed a difference. It works wonders-- thank you John Frieda!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2011 3:54:00 PM More reviews by alex193

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really didn't have high expectations for this stuff, but I am always willing to take a gamble with at-home treatments for my superlong hair. I was looking for a product that would give my hair naturaly looking highlights and basically just liven it up a bit. My hair is a natural neutral br-onde - about Jessica Biel-ish color. A bit of history - About 2 years ago I stopped bleaching my hair. Prior to that I had gotten professional all over, chunky foils every 6 months for about 5 years. I was BLONDE. I got sick of it, dyed my hair uber dark auburn, got sick of that, and used a color remover. The color I ended up with was pretty much exactly my natural color, which worked out well because I haven't had to go to the salon for color in 2 years. I really like it, except I felt like the front pieces were a bit flat and washed my face out.

So, I slick my damp hair back, spray liberally to get my long bangs, let it down, brush, spray a tad more on the longer pieces in the front, blow dry. I could tell the first time, but I wanted a bit lighter results, so the next week I did the same thing, and the week after that I used it one more time. It's perfect! I got a bit spray happy the last time and I sprayed more of the ends in the front which really brought out some of the older highlights, and I really like the effect. On my neutral hair, it had more of a warm tone rather than a cool tone, so I could see how this would give some ppl orange/brassy results. It probably would on mine if I kept lightening. I don't think this would work well if you are looking for more defined segments of lightening though - it's too hard to control with any precision. If you like the look of Giselle, Jennifer Aniston, or Lauren Conrad's hair color, you'd probably really like this stuff. Those are the kind of results I got - the kind of highlights that look like you were lucky enough to be born with them. (See my pics of this are the two with the blue shirt taken from a webcam, long hair, lots of eye makeup - the lighting wasn't perfect but you'll get the idea)

For the dry hair comments - Yes, your hair will feel dry right after you use it. It kind of felt like hair that has been in the ocean. However after I washed and conditioned as per usual, my hair felt normal. I didn't notice anymore breakage, although I didn't use it all over or in the more damaged ends of my hair.

I really love this stuff!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/14/2011 3:28:00 PM More reviews by cryst9

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is probably the worst hair product I've ever bought. Believe me, I have my fair share of things I don't like and don't use, but this one had the most negative effects.

My hair is naturally blonde, but it was looking ashy lately and I wanted to lighten it a little to freshen up for the summer. I found this product, read all the raving reviews, and decided it'd be perfect to get the color I want - easy to use, mild, and much cheaper than a salon + maintenance.

It made my hair feel very dry after application. Since I have long and thick hair, it was hard to spray all the parts uniformly. I ended up with some missed places in the back and overcolored parts in the front. It's hard to get highlights with it because the spray is pretty "wide". My hair started falling out all the time after a couple of uses. I would comb it, and there would be a big hairball on the brush.

But the worst part was the color. I thought it was ok on the first application, but it wasn't enough of a change. It quickly turned to a trashy yellow-orange after a few more uses. Absolutely unnatural and cheap-looking. I was hoping this product would be a money-saver, but ended up having to go to a professional to fix it.

It's also pretty pricey for the size you get, relative to other drugstore hair products. The tube is small. The only thing I liked about it was the nice smell.

I really wanted to like this product and, after reading all the reviews, didn't see any reason why it wouldn't work well on my hair. Now I really wish I had just gone to a salon in the first place.