September 22, 2014 | 1294 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Conair - Infiniti You Curl No Clamp Curling Iron

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2010 2:02:00 AM More reviews by breeknee

I LOVE this thing!

I brush my (dry but sprayed with Dove heat protectant) hair and take sections and wrap them around the barrel. Larger sections wrapped loosely around the barrel for less amounts of time gives me very soft waves, and the less hair I use, the tighter I wrap it, and the longer I leave it on, the tighter the curls.

I like to spray from about a foot and a half away with Tresumme Curl Activator then brush through to distribute, then curl, then give my whole head a light spritz of the activator again from a distance, let it dry, then finger comb through my hair. It will stay all day in Florida humidity!

I LOVE this iron and it is definitely the way to get that hair you see everywhere from Gossip Girl to Kate Hudson, etc.

If you like Taylor Swift's hair, twist the sections first just a bit, then spray, then wrap around the barrel tight and don't comb through all the sections, just some with your fingers afterward.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2010 8:35:00 PM More reviews by paintingitpink

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have shoulder length, VERY thin, straight hair that doesn't hold a curl well. I'm slowly growing my hair out, and it's almost long enough that I wanted to try a conical iron. I have hair that is about 2-3 inches below my ear and surprisingly a clip-less iron works great for me. Before spending big money on an expensive one, I thought I would try this one so I can easily return it if it's a big bust.

I bought this iron at Walmart in Canada this week and I'm so impressed that I'm keeping it. I WON'T be purchasing the Enzo iron. For starters they must of listened to consumer comments, because mine came with a FULL GLOVE. The glove has extra padding at the tips too. But I find that with a little bit of practice, it's actually easier to wrap my hair without the glove, so I just use my fingers and try not to get burned.

The iron itself works great. I actually like how the base is about 1" and it narrows to about 1/2". My hair is the right length where I can wrap it around the base for larger curls and volume, or the end for tighter curls. For me its like having two sizes combined. If you have long/thick hair it might be hard to wrap it around just the bottom or the top, so the curls might be somewhat uneven. I love how it creates volume curls at the roots. I have 4 curling irons and at best I'll get curl, never volume at the roots. I curl my whole head, spraying it with hairspray as I go. I then leave it for about five minutes lightly pull my fingers through my hair. This last all day or evening.

Couple of cons; I don't like where the button is. Occasionally I grip it the wrong way and it shuts off. It isn't that big of a problem because it heats up so quickly, but it's annoying. Also, I find that my hair SLIDES ALL OVER THE PLACE. Yes, it take practice, and I think part of the reason is because the rod is ceramic. It's hard because if the hair slides out of my hand I need to put the iron down and re-section. It definitely takes longer than the traditional iron. Both of these cons I can live with.

I've also tried wrapping my hair around my curling irons of various sizes, and they honestly don't produce these great results. I've never been able to produce that "bed head" curl look. Either the curls were too tight or messy. I've also tried wrapping my hair around my curling irons of various sizes, and they honestly don't produce these great results. So I do HIGHLY recommend this iron. Well worth the $40 at Walmart.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2010 9:23:00 PM More reviews by originalskin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love the idea of a clampless curling rod, and fell in love with my Herstyler because it worked great and came with 3 different sized barrels. Unfortunately, it died at a very unfortunate time (we were leaving that day for a cruise and I was supposed to bring the curling iron, though I suppose there is never a good time for your curling iron to croak) and I had to go to the nearest store I could find, which turned out to be a Walgreens. They had this Conair Infiniti You Curl, and I grabbed it without looking at the price. When I got to the register and it rung up at $39.99 I have to admit I cringed a little since my Herstyler was about $60 and had the three barrels, but I did not have a choice so I paid up and off we went.... Trying to use this is a challenge. I have no idea why the barrel is so tapered toward the end, but what happens is that all of my hair tries to slide to the end of the the barrel, even if I start the wrap right at the top. I have to wrap it very lightly to keep it from sliding off the entire barrel which it does if I apply any tension to the hair as I wrap it. So I end up not getting the same even heat distribution as on my old rod because the hair keeps sliding down to the end of the rod as I am wrapping it and then I am wrapping hair over hair, which is not what I am trying to do. My previous rod was only slightly, if at all, tapered, so my hair did not try to slide off the end. I like that the tip is cool on the Conair, but the curls were not nearly as nice or as long lasting as the Herstyler (with any barrel). A slight taper would be helpful in sliding the curl off the rod with minimal curl disturbance, but the strong taper was too much. I tried to use it on my daughters hair, my niece tried to use it as did my sister in law, we were all less than impressed. We did get curls, and the rod heats up quickly and gets really hot, which is great, but the shape of the rod itself gave all of us problems and resulted in strange curls that did not last as long as my old rod's did.

And who is the idiot who decides where to put the on/off button on these things? I hope I get to meet them one day so I can just smack them in the head! It is exactly where your fingers go as you are holding the rod, and I turned it off 6 times while doing my hair the first time, and at least 3 times every time after that. Perhaps that makes me a little slow on the learning curve, I accept that, but the design leads me to believe that the man (no woman who has used a curling iron would EVER put the button there, so it has to be a man that inflicted this on us!) who made the decision never bothered to even hold it in his hand.

Overall, while I can't say I am thrilled with my old rod since it broke for no discernible reason less than 7 months after I bought it, the Conair You Curl has a flawed design with both the barrel and the on/off switch that make it difficult to use and I would not recommend it. If you do decide to give it a shot, please keep your receipt handy, so you will not be out anything for having tried it. I saw a youtube video where someone simply removed the clamp from a regular curling iron and made her own curling rod.....genius! I am going to get an inexpensive ceramic iron and do the same thing for a fraction of the cost of either of these products.

21 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2010 12:36:00 PM More reviews by LindseyZ

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've had this iron for a few months and it's become my favorite styling tool. I can achieve loose waves or tight curls, depending on how much hair I grab. The waves/curls last all day even if I don't use a hardcore hairspray. My hair is very fine and curls typically don't last with me, so this is a very welcome change. I can only assume the combination of the tourmaline and ceramic and the high heat are what make the difference. It also hasn't fried my hair, but I'm pretty good about using heat protecting products.

My only complaint--and this is minor--is that it wish the barrel were a little wider. Other than that, it's easy to use and a good value (especially when you compare it to the price of Enzo Milano clipless irons).

I would absolutely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2010 4:23:00 PM More reviews by jerrykim22

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Just got this product home...let me tell you it is great. Did a whole head full of gorgeous waves in under 15 minutes. The only drawback is the placement of the on/off switch. There is a tendency to shut it off as you are working with it. Other than that, it's wonderful.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2010 2:50:00 PM More reviews by goldfish5555

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This curling iron has replaced all of the others, and I now use it daily to create soft waves. LOVE IT. The best thing about it is that I considered purchasing one of the super expensive Enzo Milano ones and seriously... I think this is just as good. Just use a heat protectant and you're good to go. If you're considering one of those super $$$ curling irons try this first.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2010 9:16:00 AM More reviews by i8alltheBacon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This isn't that big of a deal IMO....If you already have a great curling iron you can remove the clamp very easily..it's just on there with a couple screws....I have a Conair - Infiniti Tourmaline Ceramic Curling Iron .....which is awesome ...I paid $28 for it..this thing is $45........just saying

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2010 5:30:00 PM More reviews by OcMd

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

WOW!

Who would think that a different type of curling iron could make such a big dif! I have every size of regular barrel curling irons.I used to have to straighten my hair and then curl it.

I was looking to get Taylor Swift beachy curls for my fine, long (but lots of it) hair.

This curling iron is super easy to use and gives me exactly what i want: beachy curls. So So So recommended!

The one end is fat and the other end skinny, so it will work whether you have fine or coarse hair. I start half way down.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2010 6:29:00 PM More reviews by jmshimi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was teetering between giving this product 4 to 5 lippies only cuz my because my biggest drawback is the placement of the power button & temp settings. I have the tendency to accidentally shut it off or lower the temp. Aside from that I found this device fairly easy to use much to my amazement. When it comes to styling my hair I have barely any skill or patience for it whatsover; yet I am extremely vain & have no problem perfecting my makeup. Anyway this curling iron is a miracle! I just bought it last nite and used it right away just for practice & got perfect curls/waves in a matter of seconds. I moved thru my coarse medium length asian hair rather quickly. I am so glad I made this purch cuz I was actually debating buying the $130 version in Sephora! For anyone thinking about buying the more expensive version go buy this one first. Got it for $40 @ my local walmart! Also I was worried about burning my fingers but that did not happen nor did it hinder my ability to work at a speedy pace!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2010 11:48:00 PM More reviews by Crivera313

ahh what a genius idea! when I first purchased this I had the hardest time using it! I was burning my fingers and just couldn't get my entire head curled and still haven't perfected that either. For now when I let my hair air dry ( which is naturally curly) I just touch up the curls with this curler, its gorgeous! This is a must buy!