December 21, 2014 | 896 users online

Foundations - Lucy Minerals Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2011 7:25:00 AM More reviews by Facet

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am so happy I found LM! Finally a foundation that matches my skin, I cant believe it. After 10 years of gross yellow and pinkyness! On top of that it covers any redness I have, which sometimes is a lot, it doesnt break my hyper-sensitive skin out, it stays put, it does a fairly good job controlling shine (i have the OCC formula) and the price is great! Im in love.

Being pale to the point where my skin is basically off white during the winter, needless to say Its been hard (I was beginning to suspect it was impossible) to find a foundation that matches my skin. No liquid foundation Ive ever tried has been able to do this so I was thrilled when I finally stumbled upon mineral makeup in the form of EDM. Ive been using their intensive formula in fair neutral for quite some time thinking this will probably ever be my only option since it seems no company is willing to make foundation for us REALLY pale girls. At first I was just loving the fact Id found a foundation light enough for my skin, ignoring the fact that the undertone was slightly too cool for me and that the staying power and coverage wasnt all that great.

Then reading another pale girl's blog I found out about Lucy Minerals. I did some research and decided to give it a try and I do not regret it!
During summer Ive been able to use this in pale olive and get away with it without my face looking a lot darker than the rest of me. Now that whatever colour my face had gotten in the sun is starting to fade I just mix a little bit of snow white with the pale olive and Im good to go.
Since Im so light Ive also never been able to find a concealer that is lighter than my foundation to brighten dark circles etc. With this I just mix a little bit more of the snow white in, blend together with some moisturiser and voila!

Im yet to figure out the best way for me to apply this wet, mostly for fun though since it covers amazingly when dry but other than that I only have good things to say about this product!

Thank you so much Lucy Minerals for making my perfect shade!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2011 4:53:00 PM More reviews by michellemk

LOVE THIS!!!!! The coverage is awesome! Better than any other foundation I have used. I was using EDM intensive formula foundation... went to re-order, and found out they don't make it anymore. I'm so glad that they stopped making it, since I discovered Lucy Minerals while looking for a replacement! Lucy Minerals covers as well (maybe better) as Revlon colorstay. I like lucy minerals better since you don't have to worry about demarkation lines! It looks so natural, but covers everything! Yayyyy!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2011 5:22:00 PM More reviews by rimmela

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Lucy oil control minerals actually stay on all day. Better yet, it matches, has great coverage, is water resistant, and looks like skin. It also washes off like a dream. This is very close to a miracle!

I'm an nc15-20 and I match to cream, but pale olive is good for my winter skin. The OCS and OCC formulas are pure awesomeness for very oily skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2011 4:42:00 AM More reviews by amardjo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I love this Lucy Minerals. It's my new favourite, even better than Silk Naturals. I decided to try Lucy Minerals becuase I don't like to mix my Silk Naturals Foundation.

I have been using Cream Bisque OCC foundation and OCC Finishing Powder for 1 week.I am NC30. My skin is combination and has eczema around my nose area. I don't know why and how, but it seems that Lucy Minerals helps to calm my eczema. Maybe, it's the antioxidant. No new acne, so it's good too. Oil controlling is not so much, but it's fine as long as it can help my eczema. If you are an eczema sufferer, you know how bad eczema can be. So, anything that can help is good.

I experienced the cakiness if I applied too much foundation. But when, I apply less, it's just perfect.

For Lucy Mineral creator, please don't discontinue or change the ingredients. It's just PERFECT.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/1/2011 5:17:00 PM More reviews by lolsann

Oh, I wanted to love this product! Nicely priced, great customer service, just a really cute, small, new brand (like EDM USED to be I`d say)
I ordered the small samples, and I found my match (medium light).
Application: This foundation is sooo easy to apply (with EDM long handled kabuki) as far as minerals go, you can basically just smear it on, blend slightly and run out the door - and it looks good! And you only need a very tiny amount!
Look: Silky semi-matte finish - like it! The coverage was good, but you do need some extra concealer on spots and such.
Lasting power: Good, but my t-zone was oily at night. Mineral hygienics has better staying power.
Now, the problems: My skin absolutely hated this, unfortunately. Every single evening after wearing this, I would have new zits on my face. My skin would be irritated, red, dry, just blah, horrible.
Conclusion: looks good, super-easy to apply and holds well throughout the day, BUT: it broke me out and messed up my skin heavily.
I do recommend people to try it, because it`s great if it doesn`t break you out.

Ingredients~zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, mica, magnesium stearate, iron oxides, allantoin, Apple Poly® polyphenols, trans-resveratrol, green coffee bean extract, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate.

I think the coffe bean extract, apple poly polyphenols, allantoin, or trans-resveratrol is to blame for my breakout :-(

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2011 11:22:00 AM More reviews by prairiechild

I've tried many mineral foundations and this is my absolute favorite. Nothing else even came close. Now I did have problems with it accentuating fine lines and looking mask-like. I am 37 and I think I am too old to apply mineral makeup dry. I mix it with Mychelle Dermaceuticals pumpkin renew cream in my palm and brush it on with the ecotools bronzer brush. It looks amazing. It reduces redness, definitely improves overall appearance and acts as a sunscreen. I don't use any other sunscreen. It wouldn't protect from hours of sunshine, but is great for incidental sun exposure. I am very pleased and won't even bother trying anything else. I use the original formula. I truly hope this company never goes out of business. Yes, the regular prices are a tad high, but she constantly runs fabulous specials, so it's not that expensive. If you have problems with this, mix it with a moisturizer and it will look fantastic!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2011 9:12:00 AM More reviews by raucousrodent

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have loved this for months and am finally writing a review :) I am 19, Asian, have dark but generally flat acne scars, breakout prone. I use the oil control (calcium carbonate).

First thing: I switched to mineral makeup because I've been breaking out much more than usual since I started university in the UK, and wanted something that had good coverage but wouldn't aggravate my skin. This doesn't at all, unlike liquid foundation (the one I was using didn't break me out per se, but it did make existing acne last longer and make it itch. I always assumed this was just part of wearing foundation.)

HOW I APPLY: After letting my moisturiser/sunscreen sink in, I stipple it on in layers, a few specks at a time, using the Ultimate foundation brush they sell on the website (highly recommended because it is so soft and dense). I can't seem to get wet application to work. Then I apply oil-control powder over it.
The need for such thin layers makes application a bit slower than other foundations but it also means I barely worry about blending.

COVERAGE: really good, great for covering redness. I would need concealer for my rather dark scars if I wanted them 100% covered but on a daily basis the coverage is significant and makes my skin look so much better.

FINISH: Really natural, no complaints. At first in humid weather it would cake on my nose once I sweat (which is within two minutes in Hong Kong summer) but then I just applied less and the finish is even and natural as it is on the rest of my face. You really do apply VERY little per layer, literally a few sprinkles, with the excess tapped off. I know everyone's skin is different but I really believe the complaints about application are due to people applying too much.

* If I don't have time to let my moisturiser sink in I blot before application.
* I am prone to dry patches but I moisturise really well before use, I'm sure that like any other foundation this would look awful on flaky skin... but my skin is often slightly crepey from dryness and this doesn't worsen that. I have yet to try this in a very dry UK winter (which I think is partly why my skin started becoming much more acne-prone in the first place) but we will see.

LASTING POWER: I live in HK where 90% humidity, and of course heat, is pretty ordinary. I wouldn't expect this to last through, say, a night of clubbing - and while I wouldn't say it transfers easily, if I rub it does come off - but even in heat and humidity it lasts well on a daily basis and doesn't fade patchily.

OIL CONTROL: I think it's more my powder than this foundation that controls oil, but then nothing but blotting really holds off the oil for me. No better or worse than any other foundation.

COLOUR MATCH: I find it difficult to get a foundation yellow enough for me. I use Creamy Olive which is perfect. Also they do custom mixes. The swatches linked to on the site are pretty accurate.

The customer service is great and Annie seems lovely. Free shipping (including international!!!!) and offers are frequent so highly recommend giving it a try. I know everyone's skin and preferences are different but I find it hard to imagine anyone (applying it correctly) not liking this unless they are chronically dry or need a quicker application.

I love this for its wonderful finish and, best of all, allowing me to cover my acne scars well without worrying that I am creating more. :)

UPDATE: I've used this for almost two years now - if they ever stop making this, I will cry. A couple of additional points:
- Flaky skin: Recently my entire face has been a flaky patch (so, flakes and acne scars!). Even BB cream highlights the flakes horribly. However, for me, Lucy Minerals doesn't at all.
- Concealing: For fuller coverage I've found it best to apply with a concealer brush on specific areas, rather than spending years layering tiny sprinkles of foundation all over the face.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/26/2011 6:38:00 AM More reviews by Pernii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Like this very much, even thoug my favorite is Mineral Hygienics! The lucy-one is very soft and do not make my skin dry.
EDIT: Gives me whiteheads all over my chin. Can't use it anymore...

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2011 10:40:00 AM More reviews by ruby910

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Before LM I tried bare escentuals, which was okay but the closest shade was not quite a match and after a few hours I found it turned orange and patchy, even with moisturising.
Next I tried silk naturals which you mix the shade yourself so I did get an exact match but found it not to stick to face at all but fly off into the air and give no coverage. It too turned slightly orange after a while.

Then I came across lucy minerals. The samples are cheap so I ordered fair (the lightest cool tone) and snow white- although I didn't even need to use the snow white with the fair, and I have very pale skin! I found the fair slightly too white on my cheeks as my undertone is a mix of cool and a little bit of yellow, so I mixed samples of 1/2 fair, 1/4 light (the lightest warm undertone shade) and 1/4 snow making my perfect match, and they will mix upto 3 shades for you themselves at no extra cost!

It gives really good coverage for my red cheeks without looking cakey, you only need a bit so it lasts for ages but builds well, and you don't need another concealer- it does this job too!
It is reasonably priced ($14 for full size) with different ones for sensitive or oily skin (I use the original one).
It lasts a long time without sliding (I have normal skin though I don't know if this would be so with oily skin).
Definitely worth a try with such cheap samples.
They send a sample of eyeshadow or blush aswell which I love, and a handwritten thankyou note!

EDIT: I've just noticed one of the LM kits contains either a foundation and finishing powder or two foundations at $24, so if you use up your first foundation and are confident you are going to stick to it for a long time, get this kit with two and save $4!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2011 7:06:00 PM More reviews by phoebe9797

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this product from the amazing reviews it got alone. I could've been very disappointed but it lived up to all my expectations. I gave it a five star rating- as a mineral makeup- I would not give it such a high rating if it wasn't a mineral makeup. If your looking for a foundation and are worried about the chemical content, the clogging pores factors then this is for you. Although I did have to mix 2 shades for my perfect color, it is so incredibly easy to apply from the start. You need the smallest amount (this is crucial- don't treat this like any other mineral makeup, bare essentials etc.- it offers a much greater coverage and you will come out looking like a clown!) and just swirl over the face. You end up with flawless looking skin, quite matte but with a fresh clean glow to it. It lasts like this for the entire day and has fantastic staying power in varied weather conditions. This foundations comes as a relief to mineral makeup users like me who always thought that wearing mineral makeup needed to compromise my foundation coverage and the 'polished' look. Cheap too! The only criticism i have is that in Australia it takes about 2 months or longer to actually receive the foundation- shipping needn't take that long and would be great if they could sort that out, but it wont stop me from repurchasing.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No