October 1, 2014 | 1861 users online

Foundations - Lucy Minerals Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 8/1/2011 5:17:00 PM More reviews by lolsann

Oh, I wanted to love this product! Nicely priced, great customer service, just a really cute, small, new brand (like EDM USED to be I`d say)
I ordered the small samples, and I found my match (medium light).
Application: This foundation is sooo easy to apply (with EDM long handled kabuki) as far as minerals go, you can basically just smear it on, blend slightly and run out the door - and it looks good! And you only need a very tiny amount!
Look: Silky semi-matte finish - like it! The coverage was good, but you do need some extra concealer on spots and such.
Lasting power: Good, but my t-zone was oily at night. Mineral hygienics has better staying power.
Now, the problems: My skin absolutely hated this, unfortunately. Every single evening after wearing this, I would have new zits on my face. My skin would be irritated, red, dry, just blah, horrible.
Conclusion: looks good, super-easy to apply and holds well throughout the day, BUT: it broke me out and messed up my skin heavily.
I do recommend people to try it, because it`s great if it doesn`t break you out.

Ingredients~zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, mica, magnesium stearate, iron oxides, allantoin, Apple Polyģ polyphenols, trans-resveratrol, green coffee bean extract, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate.

I think the coffe bean extract, apple poly polyphenols, allantoin, or trans-resveratrol is to blame for my breakout :-(

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2011 11:22:00 AM More reviews by prairiechild

I've tried many mineral foundations and this is my absolute favorite. Nothing else even came close. Now I did have problems with it accentuating fine lines and looking mask-like. I am 37 and I think I am too old to apply mineral makeup dry. I mix it with Mychelle Dermaceuticals pumpkin renew cream in my palm and brush it on with the ecotools bronzer brush. It looks amazing. It reduces redness, definitely improves overall appearance and acts as a sunscreen. I don't use any other sunscreen. It wouldn't protect from hours of sunshine, but is great for incidental sun exposure. I am very pleased and won't even bother trying anything else. I use the original formula. I truly hope this company never goes out of business. Yes, the regular prices are a tad high, but she constantly runs fabulous specials, so it's not that expensive. If you have problems with this, mix it with a moisturizer and it will look fantastic!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2011 9:12:00 AM More reviews by raucousrodent

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have loved this for months and am finally writing a review :) I am 19, Asian, have dark but generally flat acne scars, breakout prone. I use the oil control (calcium carbonate).

First thing: I switched to mineral makeup because I've been breaking out much more than usual since I started university in the UK, and wanted something that had good coverage but wouldn't aggravate my skin. This doesn't at all, unlike liquid foundation (the one I was using didn't break me out per se, but it did make existing acne last longer and make it itch. I always assumed this was just part of wearing foundation.)

HOW I APPLY: After letting my moisturiser/sunscreen sink in, I stipple it on in layers, a few specks at a time, using the Ultimate foundation brush they sell on the website (highly recommended because it is so soft and dense). I can't seem to get wet application to work. Then I apply oil-control powder over it.
The need for such thin layers makes application a bit slower than other foundations but it also means I barely worry about blending.

COVERAGE: really good, great for covering redness. I would need concealer for my rather dark scars if I wanted them 100% covered but on a daily basis the coverage is significant and makes my skin look so much better.

FINISH: Really natural, no complaints. At first in humid weather it would cake on my nose once I sweat (which is within two minutes in Hong Kong summer) but then I just applied less and the finish is even and natural as it is on the rest of my face. You really do apply VERY little per layer, literally a few sprinkles, with the excess tapped off. I know everyone's skin is different but I really believe the complaints about application are due to people applying too much.

* If I don't have time to let my moisturiser sink in I blot before application.
* I am prone to dry patches but I moisturise really well before use, I'm sure that like any other foundation this would look awful on flaky skin... but my skin is often slightly crepey from dryness and this doesn't worsen that. I have yet to try this in a very dry UK winter (which I think is partly why my skin started becoming much more acne-prone in the first place) but we will see.

LASTING POWER: I live in HK where 90% humidity, and of course heat, is pretty ordinary. I wouldn't expect this to last through, say, a night of clubbing - and while I wouldn't say it transfers easily, if I rub it does come off - but even in heat and humidity it lasts well on a daily basis and doesn't fade patchily.

OIL CONTROL: I think it's more my powder than this foundation that controls oil, but then nothing but blotting really holds off the oil for me. No better or worse than any other foundation.

COLOUR MATCH: I find it difficult to get a foundation yellow enough for me. I use Creamy Olive which is perfect. Also they do custom mixes. The swatches linked to on the site are pretty accurate.

The customer service is great and Annie seems lovely. Free shipping (including international!!!!) and offers are frequent so highly recommend giving it a try. I know everyone's skin and preferences are different but I find it hard to imagine anyone (applying it correctly) not liking this unless they are chronically dry or need a quicker application.

I love this for its wonderful finish and, best of all, allowing me to cover my acne scars well without worrying that I am creating more. :)

UPDATE: I've used this for almost two years now - if they ever stop making this, I will cry. A couple of additional points:
- Flaky skin: Recently my entire face has been a flaky patch (so, flakes and acne scars!). Even BB cream highlights the flakes horribly. However, for me, Lucy Minerals doesn't at all.
- Concealing: For fuller coverage I've found it best to apply with a concealer brush on specific areas, rather than spending years layering tiny sprinkles of foundation all over the face.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/26/2011 6:38:00 AM More reviews by Pernii

Like this very much, even thoug my favorite is Mineral Hygienics! The lucy-one is very soft and do not make my skin dry.
EDIT: Gives me whiteheads all over my chin. Can't use it anymore...

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2011 10:40:00 AM More reviews by ruby910

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Before LM I tried bare escentuals, which was okay but the closest shade was not quite a match and after a few hours I found it turned orange and patchy, even with moisturising.
Next I tried silk naturals which you mix the shade yourself so I did get an exact match but found it not to stick to face at all but fly off into the air and give no coverage. It too turned slightly orange after a while.

Then I came across lucy minerals. The samples are cheap so I ordered fair (the lightest cool tone) and snow white- although I didn't even need to use the snow white with the fair, and I have very pale skin! I found the fair slightly too white on my cheeks as my undertone is a mix of cool and a little bit of yellow, so I mixed samples of 1/2 fair, 1/4 light (the lightest warm undertone shade) and 1/4 snow making my perfect match, and they will mix upto 3 shades for you themselves at no extra cost!

It gives really good coverage for my red cheeks without looking cakey, you only need a bit so it lasts for ages but builds well, and you don't need another concealer- it does this job too!
It is reasonably priced ($14 for full size) with different ones for sensitive or oily skin (I use the original one).
It lasts a long time without sliding (I have normal skin though I don't know if this would be so with oily skin).
Definitely worth a try with such cheap samples.
They send a sample of eyeshadow or blush aswell which I love, and a handwritten thankyou note!

EDIT: I've just noticed one of the LM kits contains either a foundation and finishing powder or two foundations at $24, so if you use up your first foundation and are confident you are going to stick to it for a long time, get this kit with two and save $4!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2011 7:06:00 PM More reviews by phoebe9797

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this product from the amazing reviews it got alone. I could've been very disappointed but it lived up to all my expectations. I gave it a five star rating- as a mineral makeup- I would not give it such a high rating if it wasn't a mineral makeup. If your looking for a foundation and are worried about the chemical content, the clogging pores factors then this is for you. Although I did have to mix 2 shades for my perfect color, it is so incredibly easy to apply from the start. You need the smallest amount (this is crucial- don't treat this like any other mineral makeup, bare essentials etc.- it offers a much greater coverage and you will come out looking like a clown!) and just swirl over the face. You end up with flawless looking skin, quite matte but with a fresh clean glow to it. It lasts like this for the entire day and has fantastic staying power in varied weather conditions. This foundations comes as a relief to mineral makeup users like me who always thought that wearing mineral makeup needed to compromise my foundation coverage and the 'polished' look. Cheap too! The only criticism i have is that in Australia it takes about 2 months or longer to actually receive the foundation- shipping needn't take that long and would be great if they could sort that out, but it wont stop me from repurchasing.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2011 2:35:00 PM More reviews by bambilion

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I started out with a few samples, and like many others who are pale with warm undertones i had to mix a few shades to get the perfect one. I have never used foundation before because my skin is prone to break outs and i just stuck with concealer and a light pressed powder, but i really did have issues trying to figure out how to use this foundation. However am a huge fan now. At first I applied too much then i had issues with it sliding off of my face (live in TN humidity is awful) but after purchasing the right brushes(ecotools) i really enjoy this foundation and the natural glow it gives. If you find yourself having issues make sure you always let your moisturizer/sunscreen dry all the way before applying that was one of my issues with it I have repurchased the full size and am contemplating some blushes now

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2011 3:27:00 PM More reviews by vivTL

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I cannot express how thankful I am to have found this product! So soft, natural and the coverage is amazing!

Appearance: I have a lot of scars so I always stayed clear of mineral foundation because they simply do not offer enough coverage, or if they do, itís after a lot of layers and then it looks cakey. This is not the case for LM! Itís just amazing how it looks, and how much you can put. I used it at first only when I had outdoor events because it looks natural and really covers everything. But now it replaced my daily foundation, Chanel Teint Innocent. I recommend layering it on rather than use it as a spot concealer because thatís when it gets weird, like the colors donít blend well anymore.

Lasting power: It lasts all day if I donít wear moisturizer (since I stopped using moisturizer in combo with LM, all my whiteheads are gone!!) but I do need to touch up during the evening. If I do wear moisturizer, it starts to smudge up around the nose.

Service: Prices are amazing and the customer service is the best ever! Annie is SO accommodating!

I would like to say to all of you who have acne-prone skin that you should really try out samples of this product because it is the only foundation that has not caused any pimples, I even slept with it a few nights (terrible, I know, but hey things happen!). Itís very gentle and all natural.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2011 5:47:00 PM More reviews by piecesofpurple

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am so happy with this foundation! At first, I thought it made my face itchy, but it was actually the Retinol night cream I had started using that my skin was getting used to and I tried the Lucy Minerals at a bad time. So, once my skin calmed down, I tried the makeup again and I'm so glad I did because it's perfect. It provides some of the best coverage I've found in a mineral makeup and really controls oil. I have very oily, acne prone skin, so I need a lot of coverage and I need some form of oil control, otherwise my makeup will just clog my pores even more. Mineral makeup is notorious for being bad for oily skin. I've tried brands that actually make me even more oily!

However, Lucy minerals does all that it can to at least control the oil, rather than exacerbate it. My only complaint is that their color selection is very limited, especially for truly pale women. The Pale shade is ghost white and cool toned, so it looked horrible on me. I'm NC 15 and have a warm undertone. So, I blend my own color using 3/4 Cream and 1/4 Snow White. When I placed my order, I just told them what my blend is and they custom make it for you at no additional cost, which I think is great. This blend is the perfect color for me.

Plus, this brand also has constant specials and sales going on so you get great deals. I was shocked when I received my order today because the foundation containers and finishing powder containers are HUGE. They say it's 30grams but it's the same size as a 50 gram jar from another mineral makeup company I tried. This will last you a really, really long time.

I also love the ingredient list. I get so frustrated because with other MMU brands, as soon as they add some beneficial ingredients to the standard mineral base, they charge so much extra for it. But, Lucy Minerals adds their own unique blend of healing ingredients and doesn't increase the price of their product much at all. I feel that this reflects how much they care about their customers by offering something truly beneficial without making it unaffordable to people in these troubling economic times.

I also love the ambrosia lip balm, the Afterglow Blush, and the Ultimate Flat Top Buffer Brush and the Full Coverage Concealer Brush.

Now, the true test is to see if this makeup actually helps my acne prone skin. I know it doesn't exacerbate it from using the sample size, but only time will tell once I completely switch over to using only their makeup for a prolonged period of time. I'll update later.

Update: I'm changing my original 5 star rating to 3 stars. Maybe this product would be better with normal to dry skin types, but with oily skin, it transfers like crazy! It also pools up around the nose and separates. If you wear glasses or sunglasses and take them off, you're left with two big marks on each side of your nose where your glasses were and if you try to smeer the makeup around to make it even again, it doesn't look right. If it was pressed powder, I'd say carry it in your bag to do touch ups (which is still annoying, but doable), but it's loose and there's no way you could really touch it up in a hurry. In the long run, it doesn't really help with oily skin (the oil control formulas and finishing powder). It does nothing to help with acne (no reduction in size through out the day and smaller ones that are going away don't seem to be positively affected by using this makeup). It may even be exacerbating my acne-prone skin, I'm afraid. It also seems to make my face itch, like I initially thought it did and since I've stopped using the Retinol night cream, I can't blame that anymore. I've never had a mineral makeup make me overtly itch before, but this one does. I think it may not be the added ingredients, but is actually the mineral base itself. I'm bummed. I love the company, the owner is helpful, and the prices are great. Maybe in winter it would be a better foundation, but in summer, it's not an HG product. Oh, and for my NC 15 skin tone (warm), the pale olive (3/4 pale olive, 1/4 snow white) is a good shade for me, rather than the Cream and snow white. Hope this review helps.

****EDIT****After many months of trying to make this foundation work for me, it just doesn't. It definitely breaks me out and aggravates my skin and feels very heavy on. Also, the limited color selections are annoying to me. I've tried so many MMU brands that have offered shades that worked for my coloring, so I must not be a difficult person to match. But, their shades "as is" aren't light enough, except for Fair, which is ghost white and cool. When I do color blends, of 3/4 pale olve and 1/4 snow white, it's too pale.

I just sampled Lauress Ethereal Foundation and it covers like a dream and feels air light on my skin. I found my perfect match with the first sample try. Now, I just hope it doesn't break me out! I figured I'd share this with you all because MakeupAlley is how I found out about it, so I'm passing along the good news.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2011 5:23:00 AM More reviews by hespera

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

i luv the coverage i hav acne scars so i need good coverage. ds powder on its own covers everdang 4 me. :) its cheap n it will last me a good six months. since i dont hav oily skin i realy dont gota do touchups n wit ds one it last all day till i wash it off n i dont gota do one touch up :D