November 22, 2014 | 1326 users online

Skincare - Face - Turmeric Mask

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2012 10:59:00 PM More reviews by libbylou972

I always wonder why so many people spend money on expensive facials with all kinds of chemicals when you can make so many fresh, natural and super effective mixes for dirt cheap. I love using turmeric in my weekly facials. I've tried turmeric using many different combinations. My favourite so far is to take an egg yolk and mix in 1/2 a teaspoon of turmeric and 1/2 a teaspoon of matcha green tea powder. I apply it after exfoliating in the shower and leave it on for a half hour. The matcha and turmeric have lots of antioxidants which is great for protecting skin from free radicals, sun damage and premature aging. The egg yolk softens my skin and reduces the appearance of blackheads. It`s a gentle mask that is super good for your skin and gives it a healthy glow.
Some people find that turmeric stain can be hard to rinse off, especially for those with fair skin. With this recipe I haven't had too much of a problem with that. I just soak a washcloth (that you aren't worried about getting dirty) in warm water and apply it to my face to get it all off. When I use plain turmeric paste for a mask I have stained my skin but a good tip is to use some baking soda and olive oil to remove any stain. To be safe only do a turmeric facial at night when you aren't planning to leave the house. I've never had a problem getting the leftover stain off the next morning in the shower.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2012 2:29:00 PM More reviews by nkar23

i have it around my spicerack anyway, and i used to use this mixed with some regular plain yogurt (unflavored of course). you can also squirt in a splash of lemon juice and apply as a mask.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2012 11:37:00 AM More reviews by lovely08

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've known about turmeric for awhile. I tried it years ago and used turmeric from either an american or Indian grocery store. I mixed it with water and applied it on but it was so messy and really made no difference with my acne. I only noticed back then that it made my skin a little smoother. I never used it again after that because the mess wasn't worth it to me. Looking back I realize I should have mixed it with milk. I recently had cystic acne and I applied a mix of turmeric and milk, left it on for a couple of hours (got busy) and when I rinsed it off, um let's just say an explosion happened. If you have dealt with cystic acne, you know this is a GOOD thing.

Anyway, I recently started using it again about a month ago. My focus now is getting rid of acne scars so all I do is mix a bit of turmeric with water and apply it with my fingers. I am using organic turmeric I bought awhile ago at Whole Foods and I don't know if i'm imagining things but I notice a HUGE difference. This turmeric doesn't stain as much as the turmeric I bought years ago. I even apply the paste with my fingers and when I wash my hands, the stain is almost invisible. Yes it stains my face like always but it doesn't stain it and my surroundings as much as the turmeric I used years ago. That was a DISASTER and I don't blame people for wanting to back away from it because of that.

Another thing I have noticed because my skin is now alot more sun sensitive due to alot of over-exfoliation and i've started to notice that this REALLY helps protect my skin against the sun (even with eating a healthy diet and getting my oils and fats in). I'm talking more so than just applying sunscreen, antioxidant serum (i don't use vitamin c though), rosehip seed oil and makeup with sunscreen. All those things help but turmeric goes above and beyond from what i've consistentently experienced. As previously stated, I make a paste with water and turmeric at night, apply it with my finger, leave it on for 30 minutes and after washing it off my skin is so smooth (and tinted of course!). The next day, I apply sunscreen as usual and whatever else and I can go through the day not feeling my face wrinkling up whenever the sun hits my face. This is amazing for me, especially during the summer here in Texas. On top of that, it's really clearing up my old and recent blemishes. The biggest one from the recent cystic acne is clearing up nicely. I'm so happy! I plan to either do the mask every 2 days or so or just apply grind it up to make it finer and add it to my moisturizer like someone claimed Thandi Newton does. Must do more research! So yeah, Turmeric really has amazing benefits to the body (even more powerful benefits when taken internally). It's going to be my power product this summer! I'll try to come back with an update in the next couple of months.

21 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2012 6:30:00 PM More reviews by sll74

i read that actress thandie newton adds tumeric to her facial lotion. i got the idea to add it to my mineral makeup. i'm brown with yellow undertones. i didn't add a ton but hopefully i added enough to get the anti-inflammatory effects. it looks nice and there are no adverse effects. this sounds easier than dealing with a mask, etc. i'll continue to do it.

11 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2012 2:16:00 PM More reviews by Hawko

Tried it out as a novelty, I don't have breakout, allergic nor pore issues, it did nothing for me, except I look jaundice for 3 days. I can still use it for cooking, no.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2012 1:42:00 PM More reviews by Sarsonator

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this once or twice per week in a mask with honey and/or yogurt. I leave for 20-30 then rinse. This takes redness out and gives my skin a lovely clarity. I also made a powdered face wash and included turmeric. I added Vicco turmeric cream to my skin care regime... Can't get enough turmeric! LOL. It's one on my new HG items! I have a separate washcloth and towel so I don't stain my good linens!

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2012 12:19:00 PM More reviews by Kalya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I get raw turmeric and make a paste of it by rubbing it with water on a flat stone (the old-fashioned way herb pastes are made in India). I also add red sandalwood to the rubbing mix. Turmeric gives a healthy, beautiful glow to the skin.

Turmeric, especially in the raw form is amazing. I had split my chin in an accident and a tablespoon of turmeric was applied by Mum, on the gaping wound. According to the doctor, this shortened the healing period significantly. Of course, 10 stitches were still required but there was no infection in the wound.
Raw turmeric root can also be pickled and eaten.
Beware of ready-made turmeric powder especially from unreliable sources, as they can contain contaminants which will only worsen the skin problems or 'burn' the skin!

Products provided by nature such as turmeric, neem etc should not be attempted to be 'patented' and if at all that is to be done, the native country growing these plants should be the one getting the 'product' patented.

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2012 8:54:00 PM More reviews by 1stone

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

After reading about the anti inflamatory benefits of turmeric and with some hesitancy (as I have sensitive skin that does not respond well to several natural products that many people on this board review as being wonderful, olive oil being one of them) I mixed some turmeric with greek yoghurt (that I know my skin likes) but with no honey, as surprisingly my skin does not like honey (!) and I left it on for 15 mins.

The mask left my skin feeling very soft and exfoliated with no pinkness whatsover, the next day my normal tendency to get slightly pink on my chin and nose did seem diminished. I had no flakiness over the next few days at all, a big thing for me as extreme dryness and flaking is something that happens all the time when I veer away from my usual tried and trusted skincare and try new products or treatments.

Nothing dramtic happened, I am not now flawless and perfect (but I am sure that treatment IS out there, and I shall be painting it ALL over my body when I find it) other than my skin felt very nice and it did not irritate (huge for me) rather it did seem to soothe to some degree. Based on how soft and calmed my skin seemed I tried the mask again a week later with the same results. As for lightening of hyper pigmentation, well, that surely takes time with any product and remains to be seen as there is no lightening on my one hyperpigmented spot (that showed up this year out of nowhere).

From what I have read on this board and elsewhere turmeric has been used in India for centuries, and I do have a thought. . .I was cotton balling off a very slight residue of yellow (not visible to the eye) even after washing my face, showering and washing my face again . . . if I had lovely golden Indian skin (instead of being pale) I wonder if that slight yellow cast, even barely visible, might actually look nice and sort of even things out, in a purely cosmetic way?

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2012 1:25:00 PM More reviews by shannon804

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Indian women have used turmeric to brighten their complexions for many years. As a kid, I thought it was gross and total BS, but as an adult, I've realized that it really does work. The way my mom does it is to mix some turmeric in powder form with enough coconut or olive oil to make a paste. Then massage the paste into your face and allow to sit. I usually leave it for about 20 minutes, and rinse it off in the shower. I haven't noticed any stains in my tub, but my skin is brighter and it's helped to fade some dark spots on my face. You could probably mix this with honey or yogurt, too, but my oily skin loves olive oil.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2012 12:42:00 PM More reviews by manimau3685

Hi,
I have been reading reviews here forever! This is the first time I am writing about some product. For all those ladies who already know how wonderful turmeric is for skin I have some suggestions to make the process of applying this tedious mask.
1) Wear some gloves to save your fingers and nails from staining. Its that simple!
2) use a sponge to apply, the kind that you use for foundations.
3) It is always better to have some oil like jojoba, coconut, olive oil as an ingredient in turmeric mask as this helps stain less and when you use a cleanser the stains come out with the oil. Be careful if you have very sensitive skin or are allergic to oils. Trust me when you take off the mask with water just pat dry using a paper tissue. I bet there will be no stains on your face and hands. THIS IS THE BIGGEST TRICK FOR USING A TURMERIC MASK. Do this and tell me how it worked for you guys!
4) I always wash my face in the kitchen sink, as its easy to just spray some bleach on it once in a week.
I hope this will make applying a turmeric mask easy for you.
And trust me it works!!!
My exact recipe: 3 heaped spoons of gram flour, 1 spoon of turmeric, 2 spoons of coconut oil, 2 spoons yogurt. Mix well and refrigerate for future uses.

24 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No