September 23, 2014 | 1884 users online

Skincare - Face - Turmeric

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2012 11:07:00 PM More reviews by Missy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I don't understand the hype over this. I've only tried it twice, but that was enough for me. Both times, my light scars actually seemed to darken and my skin broke out everywhere and just looked red and irritated. It seems to have the exact opposite effect that everyone else is describing. Perhaps I'm allergic to it. Whatever the case, turmeric is definitely not for me!

6 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2012 2:12:00 PM More reviews by fatimaaraja

I use turmeric powder, mix in egg white, honey and milk to make it pasty and apply it to my face as a mask. I leave it on for at least 20 minutes or until it's like completely dried on my face. I absolutely love it!!!!! It is really good for if you have uneven skin tone because you will deff notice a huge difference and it will be more even and it def gives a nice glow. I looooove it!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2012 1:58:00 PM More reviews by etherpowered

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Take two Turmeric caps and call me in the morning (to tell me how great your skin looks).
You don't have to use this on your face. Two caps a day will work just as well.
Indian people have trusted this forever to deal with skin issues. Freida Pinto, anyone?

17 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2012 1:12:00 PM More reviews by allymack

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Um, wow. That's what I have to say about this stuff. Two nights ago after reading reviews, I mixed together 1/2 tsp of turmeric with 1 tbsp of yogurt (mine was nonfat, not sure if this matters). I left it on for half an hour, washed it off well. No yellow stain on my face. Thought I might have noticed a minor difference, but I couldn't really tell for sure. Yesterday I was bored, had the leftover mixture in the fridge, and did it again for a half hour. When I washed it off my skin was left with more of a yellow cast than the last time, so it was hard to assess if there was a difference. Later, I had a shower, normal routine, and when I got out, all the yellow stain was gone, and instantly I noticed a *huge* difference. My skin is not the best: the tone is off, acne hyperpigmentation, active acne, etc. It just doesn't look healthy. I'm pretty self conscious about it without at least a tinted moisturizer. I am quite pale, and I wouldn't say this mask was whitening in the sense that it made me paler, but it somehow pulled all the yucky purple and red tones out, and left me with the pretty kind of pale skin I yearn for: even, porcelain, healthy, lit from within. I am thrilled. I've never before used a single skincare product that made this dramatic an improvement in my appearance. After two uses, no less. I can't attest to a difference in acne, because I'm not breaking out right now, and I'll have to try it longer to see if it's preventative. I do feel like my skin is producing less oil than usual since I tried this, though. I'm going to use this at least once a week, and I'll update with my results. p.s. I stained a towel when I was drying my face, be warned. Use one you don't care about.

36 out of 36 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2012 11:18:00 AM More reviews by snoopy68

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

LOVE turmeric/honey facial masks! When I use this mask (once per week) my skin glows and the tone is very even! I mix about a teaspoon with enough honey to spread evenly over my entire face, leave the mask on for 15-20 minutes, and simply wash off with warm water.

As other reviewers have warned turmeric will indeed impart a permanent yellow stain to all fabrics, so please use with caution.
I just buy the basic spice in the spice aisle of the grocery store and it works fantastically! It's very cheap, keeps forever, and you use very little in your masks. No nasty chemicals, fragrances, or irritants.

This is my go-to facial mask that works better than anything manufactured and marketed.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2012 4:57:00 AM More reviews by Katie411

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use this in a mask with besan flour and rose water and/or milk/yoghurt. I've found it to be very good at lightening scars and preventing future break outs.
I also take a quarter to a half teaspoon of turmeric, once a day, (in a mixture with other powders) with hot water to just heal my acne from the inside. It's has great healing properties. In the beginnig it was fairly horrible taking the powder, but slowly slowly i've got used to it and now know how to hold some warm water in the back of my mouth first, and just sort of tip the turmeric in quickly and swallow more water quickly to wash it down.
I know it sounds weird, but this has really helped my skin to heal quicker and scar less. Thought I'd just share it on here in case it can help anyone esle.

21 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2012 9:23:00 PM More reviews by TiaR

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Sigh. Unfortunately this *does* work, haha. I say unfortunately because it is messy as hell and stains like crazy. It isn't very flattering...but I don't have a boyfriend and I'm working from home so I'm fine for now, haha. I always try to remember turmeric, oatmeal, lemon juice, and sugar scrubs. honestly these are the best things that have worked for my rather persistent acne. Cheap too, hooray. my sister still swears by proactiv somehow haha.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2012 11:49:00 PM More reviews by bludvls849

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Turmeric is incredible. I find that a thick paste of turmeric and honey applied overnight on a zit greatly reduces scarring and redness. Of course, turmeric stains absolutely everything, but I'm willing to put up with it for what it does for my skin!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2012 11:49:00 AM More reviews by heavyboots

I mix turmeric powder with a tiny bit of water using a q-tip and then apply it to acne scars with the same. I have tried leaving it on overnight, but I think it sort of defeats the purpose as you cannot will yourself to sleep on your back the entire night. I have marks on my right cheekbone, and I found that turmeric only transferred onto my ear by the morning, making it so difficult to remove. Usually, I put it on when I know I don't have to go anywhere the rest of the day, so I can leave it on for as many hours as I can stand. If you mix it with ACV instead of water, the smell definitely lingers, but with water, there is virtually no discernible scent. I take it off with water and soap, and a bit later, I use my Queen Helene mint mask on the same spots. Once it dries, I find that it takes off much of the yellow tinge left on my skin. I always wait at least 30 minutes after to try to wash it away because it cannot be done at once! You will only irritate your skin if you try, which is why you should only use this if you have nowhere to be! I notice a slight fading of my scars after using turmeric twice, so I will definitely keep using it. Rose hip oil is the only other product that has worked on my acne scars, I massage it into my skin for as long as I can (I usually watch tv while doing so, for about 30 minutes), and I have seen results after about 2 weeks. As another reviewer said, it is best to wash away the excess in a stainless steel sink, as it does stain otherwise! And if you don't have an Indian grocery near by, you can always purchase the McCormick spice in any chain grocery store - it's about $3 for 26 grams and a little goes a long way, and it is just as potent.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2011 1:55:00 PM More reviews by mm6mm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

in india women often use a mask of turmeric, yoghurt, and besan (chickpea flour). the yoghurt exfoliates, the turmeric cleans and disinfects, and the besan binds the whole thing together to make it a pleasant experience. the recipe i use is 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1 tbsp yoghurt, 1 1/2-2 tbsp besan. it leaves an instant glow, my hubby always comments on how fresh i look after i wash it off, and it literally peels of all the dead skin so that you can post a before/ after pic and you would see a big difference. it is the most effective mask for acne, and hyper- pigmentation due to acne or sun damage. if u add like 1/4 tsp organic acv (albeit it will stink, so do it only if u can bear the smell on ur face for 1/2 hr cause it wont go away <-- IMO) it will make the mask a million times more effective, if i cud bear the stink i would def put acv in each time i use it but even without acv it makes a huuuge difference in ur skin. use it!!! the recipe i put up will make alot of it, u prob dont need so much but i do have a tendency to pack it on my face and neck like crazy so for me its just enough..

21 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No