July 28, 2014 | 1930 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal Waterproof

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2012 1:26:00 AM More reviews by LindaYAY

Edit: As the formula gets drier with use, the mascara flakes a lot more. As someone who wears contacts and cannot run the risk of irritating my eyes with flakes, I find this to be disappointing. Also, you get "crunchy" lashes.

This is one of the best mascaras I've tried for the price ($5, Target). I have long lashes, so I bought this for the volume. The wand is very bulky, and if you're not careful, you might make a mess of your upper eyelids. One coat is all I need for a little volume to perk up my eyes. It can hold a curl pretty well, but by the end of the day there was a little smudging. Also, with time, the wand bristles (not rubberized) can get clogged up, which causes clumping and flaking, so you'll have to wipe it on the tube when you use it. Overall, not too bad. Application is kind of a pain but I love the effect.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2011 11:38:00 AM More reviews by xyoru

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Other

Amazing. I love mascaras, as my eyelashes are somewhat straight, I look for something that provides volume and holds a curl. I also really like the natural look, on most days I just apply concealer and mascara and just walk out the door.
I LOVE the brush, when I first opened it there was little mascara residue on the tip of the wand, and it looked like there was barely any product on the wand itself!! But it evenly coated my lashes, didn't add a lot of volume (a bit), but I saw more length from this than volume, which I don't mind. It holds my curl really well, and when used on my bottom lashes there is no flakiness or smudging that occurs!
As with most maybelline mascaras, the formula is more 'wet' when you first open it. I'm not one to coat my mascaras but when I do, it is rather hard with this one to layer coat after coat, it dries quickly and gives my lashes the "hard"/"crunchy" feeling. But as I said before, I do prefer the natural look, which is why I rarely layer.
Overall I love this mascara! I don't often repurchase the same drugstore mascara (because there's SO many to try! :D), but this one will definitely be repurchased in the future

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2011 8:50:00 PM More reviews by momonro

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

So for reference I have very straight..pointed down eyelashes so waterproof is always a necesity to hold the curl. This one holds my curl really well. I have it in glam black which is the darkest black. Makes my lashes big and dark. My only issue with mascara is that the formula is wetter than most so it can get messy and also this mascara is no really buildable. But it do want to add more coats don't let it dry first because it will get flaky and clumpy. I pair this with my full and soft waterproof mascara to be able to build since that mascars doe not get hard and cause flaking and clumpinglike this one does if layered. Overall I always seem to go back to this mascara. Its good for the price jut the factor of it getting hard like most waterproff mascaras and not being buildable.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2011 5:44:00 AM More reviews by donnahsueh

After 3 months of using this mascara, I'm just about ready to throw this out after this week! I can also say that after 3 months with this mascara, I'm sad I will be parting from it and I will definitely buy more of these in the future!
So yes, right off the bat, I can say that this mascara has def. turned into one of my favorites and maybe even HG mascara! I was recommended by this from my friend a long time ago and I can't believe it took me this long to try it. I have itty bitty short sparse asian lashes, so I look for a mascara that can provide me lots of volume and something that can hold my curl. Seriously, every day that I used this, I had a huuuuuge smile on my face whenever I was applying. I loved the results it gave me! It gave me the volume I needed and a little bit of length AND it held my curl allllll daaaayyy looonnnnngggg! It does everything I look for in mascara!
I recommend this to anyone (esp. asians!) looking for a good mascara that will hold your curl and add a bit of volume and I will repurchase this in the future!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/26/2011 11:15:00 AM More reviews by angel2011

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this mascara because i was in definite need of something better than my regular great lash mascara which wasn't cutting it. So I saw this at the store and bought it. It's a great mascara with lot's of volume and a black that really made my eye color pop and made my lashes appear longer. The only "con" of this is it can get clumpy, the brush can get a tad messy when applying and is definitley big as well as the longer I had it the more it dries your lashes out. Especially with the waterproof one, it's incredibly hard to take off. I'd consider it to be just ok.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/18/2011 8:33:00 PM More reviews by lionheartmagick

I LOVE this mascara! Technically I give it 4.5 stars. I've been looking forever for a good inexpensive drugstore brand mascara that doesn't make you Ricky Raccoon by end of day and gives good, rich color while allowing volume. This is my everyday mascara for the past 3-4 months and I will keep buying it! For a long time I was using Maybelline's XXL Waterproof. That mascara is still my fav for the most dramatic look and better lengthening. The only problem is even the waterproof formula would give me dark under eyes by the end of the night and the same goes for the Stiletto waterproof formula. Both XXL and Stiletto work similar for dramatic lashes however.

I love the Waterproof Volum' Express Colossal because you can build the heaviness/drama, NO flaking (I hate flaking as I wear contacts), it curls more as it dries, and the best part is so far, it is one of the best waterproof, lash-curling mascaras I've ever tried. Which is HUGE for me, as I need the mascara not to smudge...ever! Also, I wear contact lenses and this is sensitive enough for them. If someone can recommend a formula to me that is more dramatic for length and volume (like the XXL's etc.) that is as waterproof as this one, please let me know. I highly recommend this waterproof formula!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2011 4:53:00 PM More reviews by eelkennaid226

I love this mascara! Plus for $5? It's a great drugstore product. It's not thick and makes my lashes look fuller and longer. It's not hard to take off too.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2011 9:53:00 PM More reviews by lilaznkitty11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really have nothing bad to say about this mascara. It doesn't clump and makes my lashes look fuller. The waterproof version is definitely better because it keeps my lashed curled (whereas the non-waterproof version makes them fall down) and it doesn't smudge at all. Not sure about how easily it builds since I usually use one coat.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2011 9:44:00 AM More reviews by pickles945

This is a great mascara! Blackest black and waterproof/smudge proof from 7:30 in the morning to 8:30 at night, even after a gym workout. And surprisingly it's easy to remove as well; some Biore face wash or Shu Uemura facial oil and it comes right off. Highly recommend for the quality and the price.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/3/2011 8:09:00 PM More reviews by guesses

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Honestly this mascara does wonders for my dull straight Asian lashes! I received compliments on how gorgeous my eyes were after using this. I absolutely adore this product other than the fact that it makes my lashes hard and 'crunchy' and it's hard to take off. For some reason, My lashes also fall off when I use this which obviously isn't ideal. I wonder why as this doesn't seems to be a problem for anyone else. It's also strange that other reviewers have commented that this makes their lashes soft..? Ugh, did I get a faulty product? I hope not. Anywho, I'll be testing this out again sometime soon.