October 24, 2014 | 2014 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 1 of 5 on 1/21/2013 2:34:00 PM More reviews by jakelovesmakeup

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I really wanted to love this face cream after reading the reviews (and since it's one of Oprah's fave products). Unfortunately it really wasn't for me. I hated the smell, and found it did not absorb into my skin, rather sitting on top like a filmy layer. I gave it a few tries and had the same results. Too bad.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/18/2013 8:54:00 AM More reviews by sealegg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

The consistency of this product is like whipping cream, which is something I find gorgeous about Hope in a Jar. However, I am glad I asked for a sample of this before I slurged and bought the whole jar.

If you have ever tried Clique Dramatically Different Lotion and gel, I would say this is the perfect "in-between" moisturizer you can get. I 'm not particularly fond of the scent of this product, and that's saying a lot because I've never had that reaction toward any makeup or skincare product.

If I liked the product enough I could get past it. Unfortunately, I don't. Though my skin feels supple after I use it, it leave a very slight greasy reside I do not like. For $53 those are factors I simply can't over come. Which is a shame because other than the grease factor it would have been perfect for the winter time.

For a reference I have normal skin, this will more than likely work perfectly for someone with drier skin.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2013 7:36:00 AM More reviews by leung

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I had high hopes for this miracle in a jar as it came highly recommended for a humid climate. Did not like it one bit! I feel it did not moisturise my skin. Also not keen on the jar packaging which makes it somewhat unhygenic.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2013 5:43:00 PM More reviews by Noboho

I was terrified to try this! I've read so many reviews stating that this moisturizer broke people out. I even recall a trip to a Sephora in Connecticut with my sister. I picked a jar of this up and she said "the salesgirl said that broke her out!" I have experienced some irritating breakouts in the past due to moisturizers I tried. I adore the philosophy brand. Their marketing is perfect. For Christmas, my sister-in-law bought me a Philosophy Skincare set that included Hope in a Jar, Purity Cleanser, Eye Hope eye cream, and a peel. I would have normally been super cautious and would have spent a week just testing this out on a small area of my skin. For some reason I thought "oh, what the hell" and I proceeded to slather this on all over my face. I have been slathering this cream all over my face ever since and I LOVE it! I haven't experienced a breakout and as a matter of fact my skin looks amazing! It looks better than it's looked in quite a while. The texture is light and non-greasy. I would actually like it if it were a bit richer, but it moisturizes beautifully regardless. Much has been said about the scent. I think it smells clean, very, very clean. It's a lavendery-citrus scent that I don't personally find to be as heavy as others have remarked. My skin stays smooth and soft throughout the night with Hope in a Jar on. Thank goodness I got this as a gift, because I was truly scared to try it, even though those QVC presentations make it sound miraculous! I would purchase this; I'm just not sure that I will. Nearly $40 for a 2 oz. jar is a bit steep for me at the moment. I'm going to keep using the rest of my jar and whether or not I purchase another one will be contingent upon how much deeper in love I fall with it. Overall, I suggest everyone should at least give this cream a chance. Minus one lippy for price, but BEAUTIFUL product.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2013 5:56:00 PM More reviews by kkelly98

I love, love love this. I have searched high and low for the right moisturizer and this is now my HG. I usually HATE lotion and the way it makes me feel. This is not greasy or heavy.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2013 11:04:00 AM More reviews by sanduhra

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have very sensitive, acne-prone combination skin, and this is the ONLY adequately moisturizing day cream that I have EVER tried that does not break me out. Seriously. The only other facial lotion that works is Olay Beauty Fluid, but it's just not moisturizing enough, and I get dry, flaky patches on my face in the fall. I have tried Kiehls Ultra (dry skin rash & broke me out), Clinique Dramatically Different Gel (drying, broke me out), Mario Badescu Collagon Moisturizer (broke me out), Cetaphil Daily (broke me out), Neutrogena Calming (broke me out) etc. Just to name a few.

I hate the smell, but I hate pimples/rashes a lot more. This doesn't seem to be moisturizing enough around my mouth, though, so I've been using Yes to Carrots Repairing Night Cream there during the evening. I'll be trying the dry skin version after I run out of this jar, but I will repurchase forever. Hallellujah, Philosophy.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/5/2013 7:36:00 PM More reviews by carotan

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Wanted to love it after reading all the reviews about it. All I can say is that it sits in one thick, sticky, greasy layer and didn't do anything much for my skin even after finishing it all. Makes me think twice about this brand.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/4/2013 9:27:00 PM More reviews by StupidUserNames

This to me is an average moisturizer and I get better hydration from oil of Olay seriously!! This also has an odor that reeks of wet dog. I've also heard people tell it smells like horse pee idk what that smells like but I've been told that. Everyone's skin is different so of course we are all going to react differently to skin care products!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2013 11:56:00 AM More reviews by CorelliaCalling

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Haters gonna hate. This is part of why I have such a beef with charging extortionate prices for beauty products—not everything is going to work for everyone. To me, clearing twenty-five bucks for even a prestige moisturiser, thirty for a serum, while marketing them as universal miracle workers, is pure and simple company hubris, and nothing gets smacked down harder or faster than smug overconfidence, especially in the consumer world. That said, I have combination skin that actively resents the weather, leading to an expanding oily T-zone in the summer, and a bit of flaking on either side of my nose come winter, both of which need to be addressed. Hope in a Jar seems determined not to fail me as it has a lot of reviewers, though there were moments of WTF? during my initial trial: after ripping off the protective seal, I actually recoiled a little from the smell—to settle the debate, I caught the lavender on top, but I also caught the burnt-chemistry-set part underneath, neither of which hung around at full strength long beyond application—and when I put it on, it stung the hell out of my eyes. But the texture of this stuff beats any moisturiser I’ve used to date, at any price you can name: at a glance, you’d think it was thicker than commercial cake icing, but surprise, it’s…well…imagine a mousse, only less airy. Truly luxurious. I barely skim a finger over the product and come back with enough to treat my face and neck, so it (somewhat) justifies its cost by being economical. And unlike a lot of sticky, greasy creams that just sit on top of the skin, performing a Jedi mind trick that only feels like hydration, Hope in a Jar doesn’t take the lazy way out. In the morning, after I’ve rinsed with cool water, my face still feels satiny and supple, so I’d say it’s earning its keep. It’s even preventing the red, crusty nose I get as a side effect from having a cold (with a little help from C.O. Bigelow Rose Salve, but trust me, the latter couldn’t do it on its own). Several people have accused it of causing breakouts. This is not an issue with me, but then, the only thing that breaks me out is my menstrual cycle: if it’s the right time of month, a slab of Crisco won’t wrangle a zit out of my face, just as the most airtight acne regimen in the world won’t hold them off at the wrong time. All in all, I’d say that those who sample before purchasing (or not purchasing) have the right idea…but that’s my mantra for anything on the market.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/28/2012 10:48:00 PM More reviews by shelbysahara

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I actually really like this moisturizer. I don't mind the smell one bit. It leaves my face very soft without feeling greasy and has not caused any breakouts. It's expensive though, and a jar seems a bit unsanitary, but hey, nothing is perfect.