September 20, 2014 | 1849 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2013 11:04:00 AM More reviews by sanduhra

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have very sensitive, acne-prone combination skin, and this is the ONLY adequately moisturizing day cream that I have EVER tried that does not break me out. Seriously. The only other facial lotion that works is Olay Beauty Fluid, but it's just not moisturizing enough, and I get dry, flaky patches on my face in the fall. I have tried Kiehls Ultra (dry skin rash & broke me out), Clinique Dramatically Different Gel (drying, broke me out), Mario Badescu Collagon Moisturizer (broke me out), Cetaphil Daily (broke me out), Neutrogena Calming (broke me out) etc. Just to name a few.

I hate the smell, but I hate pimples/rashes a lot more. This doesn't seem to be moisturizing enough around my mouth, though, so I've been using Yes to Carrots Repairing Night Cream there during the evening. I'll be trying the dry skin version after I run out of this jar, but I will repurchase forever. Hallellujah, Philosophy.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/5/2013 7:36:00 PM More reviews by carotan

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Wanted to love it after reading all the reviews about it. All I can say is that it sits in one thick, sticky, greasy layer and didn't do anything much for my skin even after finishing it all. Makes me think twice about this brand.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/4/2013 9:27:00 PM More reviews by StupidUserNames

This to me is an average moisturizer and I get better hydration from oil of Olay seriously!! This also has an odor that reeks of wet dog. I've also heard people tell it smells like horse pee idk what that smells like but I've been told that. Everyone's skin is different so of course we are all going to react differently to skin care products!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2013 11:56:00 AM More reviews by CorelliaCalling

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Haters gonna hate. This is part of why I have such a beef with charging extortionate prices for beauty products—not everything is going to work for everyone. To me, clearing twenty-five bucks for even a prestige moisturiser, thirty for a serum, while marketing them as universal miracle workers, is pure and simple company hubris, and nothing gets smacked down harder or faster than smug overconfidence, especially in the consumer world. That said, I have combination skin that actively resents the weather, leading to an expanding oily T-zone in the summer, and a bit of flaking on either side of my nose come winter, both of which need to be addressed. Hope in a Jar seems determined not to fail me as it has a lot of reviewers, though there were moments of WTF? during my initial trial: after ripping off the protective seal, I actually recoiled a little from the smell—to settle the debate, I caught the lavender on top, but I also caught the burnt-chemistry-set part underneath, neither of which hung around at full strength long beyond application—and when I put it on, it stung the hell out of my eyes. But the texture of this stuff beats any moisturiser I’ve used to date, at any price you can name: at a glance, you’d think it was thicker than commercial cake icing, but surprise, it’s…well…imagine a mousse, only less airy. Truly luxurious. I barely skim a finger over the product and come back with enough to treat my face and neck, so it (somewhat) justifies its cost by being economical. And unlike a lot of sticky, greasy creams that just sit on top of the skin, performing a Jedi mind trick that only feels like hydration, Hope in a Jar doesn’t take the lazy way out. In the morning, after I’ve rinsed with cool water, my face still feels satiny and supple, so I’d say it’s earning its keep. It’s even preventing the red, crusty nose I get as a side effect from having a cold (with a little help from C.O. Bigelow Rose Salve, but trust me, the latter couldn’t do it on its own). Several people have accused it of causing breakouts. This is not an issue with me, but then, the only thing that breaks me out is my menstrual cycle: if it’s the right time of month, a slab of Crisco won’t wrangle a zit out of my face, just as the most airtight acne regimen in the world won’t hold them off at the wrong time. All in all, I’d say that those who sample before purchasing (or not purchasing) have the right idea…but that’s my mantra for anything on the market.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/28/2012 10:48:00 PM More reviews by shelbysahara

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I actually really like this moisturizer. I don't mind the smell one bit. It leaves my face very soft without feeling greasy and has not caused any breakouts. It's expensive though, and a jar seems a bit unsanitary, but hey, nothing is perfect.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2012 10:56:00 PM More reviews by staciarose22

It moisturizes well, as far as I can tell by one use. I used a sample and the texture is a lot like Purity cleanser. It goes on not too thick and seems to absorb, but the smell is beyond anything I can tolerate. Looking over the ingredients, it must be lavender oil. I normally like lavender, but in this it's clashing with a heavy smell that is like spf. Too chemical for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/26/2012 10:05:00 AM More reviews by improxyble

This moisturizes alright but smells HORRIBLE. And the smell lingers! Got a sample from Sephora and couldn't hate it more.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2012 2:58:00 AM More reviews by lydiaxaidyl

Tried it as a sample. Smells terrible, but did moisturize my skin relatively well during the winter.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/23/2012 5:59:00 PM More reviews by irisjane01

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

why oh why. I seen the reviews on sephora and just thought, wow this must be a great moisturizer! wrong. hated it, hated the smell, and the feel. It has a lemony-chemical like smell to it. It leaves my skin feeling greasy, i wish i would have tried a sample out first before buying the full sized product. Was so happy when i finished it, I did not want to waste it. couple of months later, i got a sample of it for gratis, and it brung up old memories. I hate the damn thing, and the smell. not to mention if i tear up it starts to sting my eye! uhh.. yeah that's weird. I'll stick to my Sephora Instant moisturizer thank you very much!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2012 2:10:00 AM More reviews by cutelildeadbear

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Ok, I think you guys are being wicked harsh on this one.

I don't mind the smell, again it smells like lavender and I like that scent and it is not strong in the least bit. I grow lavender in my front flower beds so to me the scent is fine. I mean I have used a ton of moisturizers over the years and most of them have smelled like old lady perfume and this has been the most mild to me so I don't know what all the fuss is about. Sheesh! It does not smell like plastic though.

Moving on, I bought the trial size of this to see if I would like it mostly because I know better than to buy a huge jar of something if I have never tried it before (and if I don't like something, I'm not going to then go out and re-purchase another huge jar then complain about it). So for $10 to try this out, it wasn't a big deal.

As far as price, again, I guess I'm gong crazy because I typically use Shiseido and that is like $55 for a 1.8 oz jar and Hope is $39 for a 2oz jar. So all in all, it isn't what I would consider expensive. I have also shelled out $87 for Chanel moisturizer which I still think is a fair price, so compared to what I normally spend this is dirt cheap.

As far as the product itself, well, I'm going to stick with my Shiseido and once in a while splurge on my Chanel. I found this to not be moisturizing enough for my really dry skin. It didn't break me out though so that is a plus. Mind you, I have extremely dry skin; this would be good for someone with normal skin. It also was not greasy at all.

Also, it is in a JAR. The name gives that away. The packaging gives that away. If you don't like moisturizers that come in a jar, why buy it then complain that it is in a JAR? I don't understand why everyone thinks that jars are so unsanitary. I take a shower, wash my face and hands then use a toner with clean hands then use my clean fingertips in the jar and put it on my clean face. No one else touches my moisturizer and I have never had an issue with bacteria getting in it or any other "sanitary" issues with moisturizers in a jar as many of them come this way. If it is that big of a deal though you can buy those little spatula things to get the product out then wipe it on your finger, but I don't see the difference in that and sticking your finger in the jar. Call me crazy.

Anyway, I wouldn't re-purchase because I like my Shiseido much much better, but this is not as horrible as some are making it out to be.