Revlon Super Lustrous Matte - Really Red

4.7

Isononyl Isononanoate, Trioctyldodecyl citrte, Ozokerite, Silica, Bis-diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Paraffin, Microcrystalline wax, C10-30 Cholesterol/Lanosterol esters, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Pentaerythityl tetrethylhexanoate, Aloe Barbadensis leaf extract, Synthetic wax, Caprylyl Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol. May contain: [ /-: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, (CI 77891) Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140) Red 7 Lake (CI 15851), Red 6 Lake (CI 15850), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499) Red 27 Lake (CI 17200) Red 33 (CI 17200), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15895)] 21919

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've never worn red lipstick before. I went to MAC and was debating between Ruby Woo and Russian Red. I couldn't make up my mind, so I held off. I bought Revlon's Really Red after reading reviews on here and i'm so glad I did. It was only $5 and I think the formula is superior to the ones at MAC. The Revlon formula is just a hair creamier, so it applies much more smoothly than the MAC ones.

Skin: Other, Other, Neutral

This one arrived in the mail today. I put it on, went "Whoa, that's bright!" then went about my business about the house for a while, forgetting all about it. Well, bright red lips have a way of surprising you if you catch yourself in the mirror two hours later. But the finish still looks fresh. Nice shade of red, too - and I will definitely be checking out the other shades of this line as well. I feel so pretty! If you'd like a visual, the photo I just took of it is in my profile pics.

Other reviewers mention having exfoliated lips for application of this lipstick, and I would agree with that. But no lip balm on bottom for me, as I feel this would render this more of a Persian red - that's been my experience with red lipsticks anyway.

I usually like more of a candy apple to fire engine red (think OPI Big Apple Red), and I'd place the Really Red as almost a rufous. So if you're looking for something a smidgen deeper than a true red without going all-out vamp, Really Red is your play.

on 9/4/2011 7:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

This lipstick is inexpensive, it's creamy, it goes on matte, it doesn't bleed and it stays put for 4 hours if you don't eat. I'd describe the colour as a very opaque neutral-to-warm red with no shine but it's not one of those matte lipsticks that dries out your lips.
I usually do two coats of the lipsticks (blotting between first and second application) and then top up with a dab of Chanel Extrait gloss in Exces just on the centre of the lips to sharpen the pout. The combination looks very gorgeous on my tan skin (I match NC 40 in MAC) and I always get compliments when I wear it. For my skin colour, this works as a a classy evening-night red (No one is likely to come asking me what I charge by the hour!).
I don' think I'd be able to pull it off in the day without drawing too much attention. But perhaps if I skipped the gloss, and used just one coat of the Really Red, I'd be able to wear it in the day.
Revlon has made such a pretty red with this one, and so cheap. I'd recommend it for women who are trying to figure out whether this works for them. If it doesn't, you won't have lost much, and the colour can still be worn sheer, perhaps with a bit of colourless gloss.
+EDIT: I just realised that if I apply a light coat of colour and top it up with opaque nude gloss, I get a shiny coral lip colour.

on 9/2/2011 5:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

This colour has been raved about to the extreme. So raved about that even me a red-avoider purchased it because it was supposedly a dupe of Ruby Woo. Now for those who don't know - Ruby Woo is a shade that has been herald to suit all skin tones. Naturally I thought I would try the dupe to see whether or not I would find the perfect red (something a girl may dream about I guess). Alas, my search went on after this lipstick.

Really Red is Matte. Its also not too drying. The colour is very vibrant. On me it looks like a spicy orangey hot chilli shade. This was not what I was expecting. In fact it was suggested (by my mother) that it made me - a bit dull looking (... hmm). However, my lips by themselves looked great, they were making statements all of their own.

BUT - even though this shade did not (supposedly) work for the rest of my face- I fixed it by applying dark lip liner and gloss (and blending) to give me a more enlivened look. This lipstick is not for the faint hearted. I love it for its wow factor despite its somewhat ill suiting to my skin tone.

When I put the lipstick on, I always seem to smile. For that I give it 4 stars !! 1 taken off because its a shade I have to work with and I'm kind of a swipe on and out the door kind of girl. I would say to try it and if it doesn't suit you, well you can work with it and if you hate it, well umm give it away, I'm sure many people would love this as a freebie.

on 8/16/2011 4:36:00 PM

This is the best drugstore matte red lipstick without a doubt. The red is blue-based and has no hues of orange/pink/brown. The lipstick goes on very smoothly and creamily, no sparkle or gloss. The lipstick colour could suit anyone, it is that non-offensive. My only gripe is the lipstick doesn't last more than 1-2 hours for me, if I've been drinking or talking etc. It bleeds like crazy, but aficianados of lip pencils will get that sorted. Price - in the UK it is the equivilant of $17~ but then again it is a great product - with no other competitors in drug stores. Will repurchase.

on 8/10/2011 5:19:00 PM

This. Is. Amazing. There isn't a ghastly perfume smell or taste (like L'oreal), and it stays put for a bit. When it does fade, it's actually quite pretty and natural so I only touch up a few times a day.

I wear it both day and night as it's the PERFECT shade. It's sophisticated. I've made my two best friends try it and it looks amazing on them as well! I am a pale cool/pink undertone toned girl, friend one is an olive complexion and friend two is a deep chocolate gal.

It is a matte lipstick, so it acts like one. I always put a thick layer of chapstick on before I start my makeup, and then VERY LAST I gently rub my lips together to absorb the chapstick and then apply my clear liner (urban decay) and then Revlon Really Red Matte lipstick. After a minute of setting it's perfect. It doesn't budge and it doesn't feel stiff. If you REALLY want to, you can apply a light layer of lip gloss, but it WILL lessen the staying power of the color.

If you're looking for the perfect red lipstick to achieve that vintage look, or just because you want to rock a red pout, this is the best one out there. (PS- I get mine for $4.95 at Walmart!)

Side tip: if I feel like my lips are ever a little dry I gently brush them with my toothbrush after brushing my teeth at night and then apply Vaseline. It sounds weird, but it works great in winter! (my husband hates it though LoL!)

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I have been using MUFE Aqua Cream in #8 for a nice matte red lip color until I wanted a lipstick instead of a pot. After finding such great reviews for this Revlon Really Red I looked for it several times in Walmart, Target, drug stores, and could not find it. Finally at Ulta I found a tube. I really love the color of this lipstick it is a true glam red without any shine or wetness. It stays on even after I shower and will probably need a swipe or two of good make up remover!

The tube is alright, it clicks shut which lets you know it won't open until you want it to. But the design is kind of boring and the clear plastic window on top is also cheap looking. But, no one will see the tube, instead only my gorgeous red pouty lips!

on 8/2/2011 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Works great, nice colour, very matte.

on 8/2/2011 1:49:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is without a doubt my favorite red lipstick right now! I've tried countless MAC, NARS, Chanel, Lipstick Queen, NYC, etc. reds and this is my favorite of them all. It's not as cool as some blue-based reds or even those alleged "true" reds. Compared to my former favorite, NARS Jungle Red, Really Red is more pigmented and warmer, almost with a pinch of brick in it. It definitely suits my warm/yellow coloring better than Jungle Red, which was a tad too pink.

on 7/29/2011 3:59:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

The colour is a lovely bright matte red which I love. Not a fan of shiny lips on me. It is very pigmented so when I'm feeling a little shy I just dab it on and rub my lips together which I like because it's not overly obvious. I apply just a small amount of lip balm underneath it and then dab the colour on so it's not too drying. I wanted Ruby Woo but heard this was a really good dupe so I got it. I was a bit skeptical because it looked dark in the tube but it applies lighter. It has pretty good staying power and I don't find myself reapplying much unlike MAC lustres! It's not that dry surprisingly and applies really well and smoothly.

As for the packaging, I wish it was more like the Colorburst lipsticks because the tube just looks so much better.Oh and the lid has a little clear window in the top of the tube so you can easily see the shade through it. So that's helpful but for me, it makes it look cheap.

Popular Lipsticks