July 28, 2014 | 1832 users online

Brows - Castor Oil

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2012 11:38:00 PM More reviews by Adi96

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Other, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This + coconut oil = AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! Buy it! You won't regret it!!!

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/19/2012 10:04:00 PM More reviews by believe1234

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My eyebrow hair grows very slow but I'm really trying to regrow my eyebrows after excessive over-plucking.

I bought 2 bottles of castor oil. I've been using the first bottle, from CVS, for a month and haven't seen any results. (It seems that when I used olive oil, that worked better--after a month or so, a bunch of little hairs would sprout). For the second bottle, from Target, I just got it about a week ago and haven't seen any results.

My questions are:

1. What is the RIGHT kind of castor oil to use for eyebrow regrowth?
I read somewhere online that you need the 100% pure kind, or something like that, so I'm not sure. The kinds I have are definitely not pure, I don't think, because the CVS one is for relieving constipation or something..

2. I also read that Jamaican Black Castor Oil is great for regrowing eyebrows...has anyone tried this and if so, what were the results?

3. Some people on here said that castor oil smells and others said it doesn't...is it the 100% PURE kind that smells? Do I want the kind that smells, because it'll work better?

4. To be effective at regrowing eyebrows, does the castor oil have to be thick? Both of my bottles are not thick at all. They are just like any normal oil. I mean maybeee they are a little bit thicker than olive oil or something, but not to the point where I would comment on its thickness..... So what kind of castor oil is the thick kind? It sounds like that's the one that's working, I read somewhere....

Some help on this issue would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2012 1:41:00 AM More reviews by rachpeters99

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been using castor oil for several years now. I use it every night on my eyelashes, eyebrows and the ends of my hair. I love it!! I also rub the excess into the backs of my hands for extra moisture. My eyebrows and eyelashes are thick and long, thanks to this product! On my hair it works as a glosser to combat frizz. I love it, love it, love it. I get it in the digestive health section of any pharmacy, next to the milk of magnesia. ;) It's about $2. I have also used vasoline and vitamin E oil as a substitute for CO. Love those two, and they both have their place in my beauty regimen, but CO works the best!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2012 3:51:00 PM More reviews by TiffanieJean

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

Castor oil is my new found love. I finally bought the Heritage Products brand from Vitacost ($10 off referral at bottom of review) for $9 about 5 months ago . I have been using it in my hair masks and have noticed improvements in a couple areas. I started to go into a shedding cycle about a week or so before I first tried it, and the shedding immediately decreased. Overall, my shedding is very minimal now, even for a non shedding period. I have quite a few little hairs growing around the crown of my head now too. After I do a hair mask my hair feels very strong. The strands actually feel like they are thicker and breakage/split ends have decreased which means thatís not just in my mind! The shine is off the charts too (not in a bad way).

Background -
Castor Oil (Ricinus communis) is a vegetable oil extracted from the castor bean (actually a seed). It is very thick and has a slightly sticky texture. It appears as a clear to pale yellow liquid depending on the level of refinement (colorless being the most refined). Castor Oil is very useful for dry, brittle, damaged hair and particularly for hair loss because of the verity of beneficial Acids it naturally contains.

For the Scalp -
Castor Oil has strong antimicrobial and anti inflammatory properties because of itĎs high level of Ricinoleic Acid which inhibits the growth of bacteria, mold, viruses and yeasts. This is an acid rarely found and makes Castor Oil especially good for treating dandruff and other scalp ailments.

The small molecular size of Castor Oil allows it to penetrate deep into the scalp and roots quickly along with any other ingredients it is mixed with. At the same time Castor Oil clarifies your scalp and roots by dissolving any material that is causing clogged follicles and built up (accumulation of products, bacteria, dirt, hard water or excess sebum) while leaving behind vital nutrients and long lasting moisture.

It naturally contains Oleic, Palmitic, Linoleic and Linolenic Acidís which are commonly used in many hair loss products. Oleic acid is used to strengthen and make hair thicker as it grows. Palmitic Acid helps to prevent hair loss and is very good for nourishing, repairing, and protecting hair. Itís used in many conditioners and other conventional products. Linoleic and Linolenic Acidís block DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) which is a common cause of hair loss. High levels of DHT can be caused by stress or male/female pattern baldness as it increases in your follicles over time. This is why using Castor Oil decreases shedding and strengthens your hair follicles while stimulating your hair to grow faster, thicker and stronger over time. These properties of Castor Oil also make it ideal for preventing post natal hair loss.

For the Hair -
Many of the same reasons Castor Oil restores the health of your scalp and hair follicles apply to your hair as well. Itís ability to sink deep into the hair shafts can help to reverse damage done by heat styling, weather, products corrosion and stripping of moisture.The lasting moisture protects further damage, prevents frizz, makes your hair softer and appear healthier overall (unfortunately, there is no way to truly repair damaged hair other than letting it grow out). The added strength prevents split ends and breakage.

How to Use Castor Oil -
Because of the thickness of Castor Oil, I mix it with other oils for hair masks. It can be used on it own as well, but I find that itís easier to wash out when mixed. Allow the oil to soak into your hair and scalp for at least an hour or two. The longer the better. Always test new oils on a small section of your skin before you apply it to a large area. Just in case. If you experience any irritation it could be because of the concentration of the oil. Mix a higher proportion of another oil for the next use. It could also be an allergic reaction.

17 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2012 11:07:00 PM More reviews by jstehr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

So, while I was pregnant my hair became very dry and thick. After baby came out, my hair started coming out too, and was still dry and thick. I was tired of trying chemical remedies, because quite frankly I don't know if chemicals are the way to go. I did so much reading and research and castor oil has such rave reviews I figured why not? I paid $8 for an 8oz bottle, which is so inexpensive. I put the oil into a squeeze bottle and apply to my roots and massage in at least 3 times a week, put on a shower cap and leave it for a few hours. You're probably thinking "who has time for that?" but really it takes 3 minutes to apply then you can go about your business. It's not exactly glamorous but who cares. I shampoo it out and I don't even have to apply conditioner! I focus the oil on the hairline and roots, and apply also to my lashes and eyebrows every night (using a q-tip). I've only been using this for a few weeks and I have to admit that my hair, lashes and brows have never been glossier. My hair is breaking way less and falling out far less. I'm excited to see the results after 2 months of use!

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2012 4:42:00 PM More reviews by Euphoria93

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this product! First of all because it's really cheap (I use now foods) and because it actually works! But you have to be patient and use it at least every night over a longer period of time (I used it for 3 months before I saw a difference, and I still had to apply it for another month to really fill in the brows). I also used it on my eyelashes, but I focused mostly on the brows, so I guess I wasn't persistent enough to see much of a difference - but I noticed that less eyelashes fell off during application and removing of mascara. Thumbs up for that! But a little bit goes a long way - your brows shouldn't be sticky or wet, if that's the case the oil can be smeared into the skin and cause breakouts.

And I know a lot of people find this quite messy, but I found a solution that worked great for me: You know those supertiny test tubes in glas from decleor they use for the serum (neroli, rose)? Yeah, that made everything so much easier for me. I just poured it half full and has it lying around. No spilling, no huge and ugly bottle that has to be available on the sink. I don't even need a q-tip, seeing as the glas is formulated to only release a small amount. Just go to a skincare salon and ask pretty please with sugar on top if you can get a tester of the serum. Most of them should say yes, but if they say no you can also use perfume test tubes. I suppose those come in extra handy too, seeing as they have that stick tingy in it (used for applying the perfume) that can help you dot the oil into the brows.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/27/2012 5:09:00 PM More reviews by troglodyte

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Tried it every night for a month, didn't do a single thing to grow my brows.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2012 3:21:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

I began using CO in June of this year. I have a medical problem causing my moisture glands to atrophy. I always had long, thick, healthy hair. Now it has the look of an old doll left out in the rain. Extremely dry, brittle, and due to the brittle nature, breaking off in large quantities. No product can replicate the natural moisture our bodies produce when functioning normally so I have tried dozens of products to remedy my situation, few have helped and no other prevented breaking and shedding.

I have tried supplements as well, again, no tanglible results. I use CO the following way: if I'm going too be staying in I slather some on not just my scalp but the lengths. Its very thick in viscosity, think molasses not olive oil. It has a sticky nature I've not found in other oils. I apply pre-wash then add a small amt to my conditioner as well.

The difference in hair loss when using CO in this way is quite dramatic. I was losing a handful each shower which was devastating to me. Now I see minimal loss, almost the same as previous to my condition.

While I find CO to have a cumulative effect in that the overall health of my hair, if I skip using it prior to showering, I once again lose more hair though a lesser amount.

My hair has a gleam to it that I had as a child, but no way can my now porous, brittle, frizzy hair can reflect shine like that on its own anymore.

I add a small amt to my hair post shampoo. Easier to distribute if you mix with a leave in product. If hair is sticky, and looks greasy clearly you've used too much but its really trial and error. My hair is very porous now so I need more than most would. Start small, you can always add more.

My eye brows have always been thick but I began to see a small bald patch on one. This oil has helped to regrow that area in my opinion.

I've tried coconut oil and even a tiny amount is too difficult to remove. Its best for body for me and I love it for that. Jojoba is a favorite pre flat iron, or to just to add shine but it always made my back/shoulders, breakout in acne. Almond oil is nice too, no breakouts yet does not stop breakage/shedding for me. Olive oil is too thick post conditioning, I like it for skin more than hair for myself.

I notice no scent, just a clear thick liquid. I buy small bottles because I don't know if CO goes rancid or not and I keep it under the bathroom sink in high humidity.

I was seriously at my wits end with hair loss, now after using this for many months my hair is thicker simply by virtue of losing so much less. I can't comments much on regrowth yet, but will update this review if my results vary.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2012 10:18:00 AM More reviews by Yishabeila

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

It's probably the best thing I've found to combat hair frizz, and I've been waging war on frizz for many years now.

I put the oil straight on my hair, wet or dry. It's important to control the quantity. A few drops, spread in the palms, will do for my medium-length, thick wavy hair. More than that makes my hair crunchy. Less than that has not much of an effect.

Also, I've found that this doesn't mix well with a hair lotion I have (Motion Lotion, Kevin Murphy). My hair looks dull and dirty. Individually, both products work well.

A colleague started using it as a pre-shampoo treatment and she's quite pleased.

In all, a bit hard to manage (quantity is very tricky) but for the price, I can't complain.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2012 9:23:00 PM More reviews by AnonymousM

For a quick backround on myself, I have naturally light , Asian eyebrows. When I was about 12 years old I thought I should do my own eyebrows, the worst decision I've EVER made! Since then, my eyebrows have been ever so sparse and unattractive. Now in freshman year in highschool, I've gotten sick of looking at such sparse eyebrows. I googled everything and landed at castor oil, it's dirt cheap with little risk factor as this is a natural product. Basically, I bought this 2 weeks ago and have been applying it religiously at night with a spoolie and wiping the excess off with a Q-tip as I didn't want any unnecessary hair growth below or above where I wanted my eyebrows to come in. Well, it is said you need to wait 2 months to see results, but for me personally, I'm starting to see some real results! My "tail" of my left eyebrow, where overplucking had resulted in no hair growth for years, is beginning to grow back in a mere 2 weeks. But, the first week I started to use castor oil, I broke out in a couple small pimples over my left eyebrow. I can't say if it's the castor oil for sure because I was eating pretty unhealthy that week, but I'm just putting that out there. Also, I've been on an absolutely no pluck regimen for 2 whole months (except for the hairs I know for sure are not going to end up as part of my eyebrow, like on my eyelid). So, I'm not sure if that's why my eyebrows are coming back. If you notice closely, your eyebrows kind if grow in rows. My eyebrows had no more that say 5 hairs width, now I see more rows growing! Also, my eyebrows are getting noticeably darker! In 2 months I will be for sure updating everyone on this product and how it either worked or not and to what extent...

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No