August 22, 2014 | 928 users online

Brows - Castor Oil

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 7/8/2012 3:55:00 AM More reviews by TaniaThomas

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Castor oil is known for centuries which helps in think hair. Thought would try it out on my brow first. Tried it a few times. Initially I didnt feel anything but after a using a few times I noticed that the area around my brow was getting dry and flaky. Horrifying actually I personally wont recommend anyone especially if you have sensitive skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2012 6:33:00 AM More reviews by SavannahAbare

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This castor oil really helped me grow my lashes fast. Its a great natural eyelash growth product!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/30/2012 2:15:00 AM More reviews by Florantine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

this is a good general moisturizer but I don't think it's good to be used on the face, especially if your skin is sensitive to pore clogging stuff. It's really thick and hard to spread. It causes clogged pores for me. I find it work better when combined with other softer more spreadable oils to moisturize dry body skin. I wouldn't use this on my own face.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2012 11:41:00 PM More reviews by shopaholic14

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I really have to thank my mom for my long, thick hair. Since I was a baby, she has been mixing castor and coconut oils and massaging them into my hair twice a week. This combination really nourishes the scalp and the hair (of course you have to leave it on for at least an hour if not overnight and then shampoo twice to get it all out). I used to have waist-length, thick, lush, jet black wavy hair. Now that I am a mother of two, I simply don't have time or energy for oil massages and that has taken a severe toll on my hair. I'm going to start the castor+coconut oil regime again to get my lush mane back. Its a natural hair spa, the massage stimulates blood circulation in the scalp and as a bonus, the oil on ur fingers hydrates ur cuticles as well. I recommend this to everyone because I have seen what miracles it works. I do it for both my sons too and they have amazing hair!

18 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2012 11:38:00 PM More reviews by Adi96

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Other, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This + coconut oil = AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! Buy it! You won't regret it!!!

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/19/2012 10:04:00 PM More reviews by believe1234

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My eyebrow hair grows very slow but I'm really trying to regrow my eyebrows after excessive over-plucking.

I bought 2 bottles of castor oil. I've been using the first bottle, from CVS, for a month and haven't seen any results. (It seems that when I used olive oil, that worked better--after a month or so, a bunch of little hairs would sprout). For the second bottle, from Target, I just got it about a week ago and haven't seen any results.

My questions are:

1. What is the RIGHT kind of castor oil to use for eyebrow regrowth?
I read somewhere online that you need the 100% pure kind, or something like that, so I'm not sure. The kinds I have are definitely not pure, I don't think, because the CVS one is for relieving constipation or something..

2. I also read that Jamaican Black Castor Oil is great for regrowing eyebrows...has anyone tried this and if so, what were the results?

3. Some people on here said that castor oil smells and others said it doesn't...is it the 100% PURE kind that smells? Do I want the kind that smells, because it'll work better?

4. To be effective at regrowing eyebrows, does the castor oil have to be thick? Both of my bottles are not thick at all. They are just like any normal oil. I mean maybeee they are a little bit thicker than olive oil or something, but not to the point where I would comment on its thickness..... So what kind of castor oil is the thick kind? It sounds like that's the one that's working, I read somewhere....

Some help on this issue would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2012 1:41:00 AM More reviews by rachpeters99

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been using castor oil for several years now. I use it every night on my eyelashes, eyebrows and the ends of my hair. I love it!! I also rub the excess into the backs of my hands for extra moisture. My eyebrows and eyelashes are thick and long, thanks to this product! On my hair it works as a glosser to combat frizz. I love it, love it, love it. I get it in the digestive health section of any pharmacy, next to the milk of magnesia. ;) It's about $2. I have also used vasoline and vitamin E oil as a substitute for CO. Love those two, and they both have their place in my beauty regimen, but CO works the best!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2012 3:51:00 PM More reviews by TiffanieJean

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

Castor oil is my new found love. I finally bought the Heritage Products brand from Vitacost ($10 off referral at bottom of review) for $9 about 5 months ago . I have been using it in my hair masks and have noticed improvements in a couple areas. I started to go into a shedding cycle about a week or so before I first tried it, and the shedding immediately decreased. Overall, my shedding is very minimal now, even for a non shedding period. I have quite a few little hairs growing around the crown of my head now too. After I do a hair mask my hair feels very strong. The strands actually feel like they are thicker and breakage/split ends have decreased which means thatís not just in my mind! The shine is off the charts too (not in a bad way).

Background -
Castor Oil (Ricinus communis) is a vegetable oil extracted from the castor bean (actually a seed). It is very thick and has a slightly sticky texture. It appears as a clear to pale yellow liquid depending on the level of refinement (colorless being the most refined). Castor Oil is very useful for dry, brittle, damaged hair and particularly for hair loss because of the verity of beneficial Acids it naturally contains.

For the Scalp -
Castor Oil has strong antimicrobial and anti inflammatory properties because of itĎs high level of Ricinoleic Acid which inhibits the growth of bacteria, mold, viruses and yeasts. This is an acid rarely found and makes Castor Oil especially good for treating dandruff and other scalp ailments.

The small molecular size of Castor Oil allows it to penetrate deep into the scalp and roots quickly along with any other ingredients it is mixed with. At the same time Castor Oil clarifies your scalp and roots by dissolving any material that is causing clogged follicles and built up (accumulation of products, bacteria, dirt, hard water or excess sebum) while leaving behind vital nutrients and long lasting moisture.

It naturally contains Oleic, Palmitic, Linoleic and Linolenic Acidís which are commonly used in many hair loss products. Oleic acid is used to strengthen and make hair thicker as it grows. Palmitic Acid helps to prevent hair loss and is very good for nourishing, repairing, and protecting hair. Itís used in many conditioners and other conventional products. Linoleic and Linolenic Acidís block DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) which is a common cause of hair loss. High levels of DHT can be caused by stress or male/female pattern baldness as it increases in your follicles over time. This is why using Castor Oil decreases shedding and strengthens your hair follicles while stimulating your hair to grow faster, thicker and stronger over time. These properties of Castor Oil also make it ideal for preventing post natal hair loss.

For the Hair -
Many of the same reasons Castor Oil restores the health of your scalp and hair follicles apply to your hair as well. Itís ability to sink deep into the hair shafts can help to reverse damage done by heat styling, weather, products corrosion and stripping of moisture.The lasting moisture protects further damage, prevents frizz, makes your hair softer and appear healthier overall (unfortunately, there is no way to truly repair damaged hair other than letting it grow out). The added strength prevents split ends and breakage.

How to Use Castor Oil -
Because of the thickness of Castor Oil, I mix it with other oils for hair masks. It can be used on it own as well, but I find that itís easier to wash out when mixed. Allow the oil to soak into your hair and scalp for at least an hour or two. The longer the better. Always test new oils on a small section of your skin before you apply it to a large area. Just in case. If you experience any irritation it could be because of the concentration of the oil. Mix a higher proportion of another oil for the next use. It could also be an allergic reaction.

17 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2012 11:07:00 PM More reviews by jstehr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

So, while I was pregnant my hair became very dry and thick. After baby came out, my hair started coming out too, and was still dry and thick. I was tired of trying chemical remedies, because quite frankly I don't know if chemicals are the way to go. I did so much reading and research and castor oil has such rave reviews I figured why not? I paid $8 for an 8oz bottle, which is so inexpensive. I put the oil into a squeeze bottle and apply to my roots and massage in at least 3 times a week, put on a shower cap and leave it for a few hours. You're probably thinking "who has time for that?" but really it takes 3 minutes to apply then you can go about your business. It's not exactly glamorous but who cares. I shampoo it out and I don't even have to apply conditioner! I focus the oil on the hairline and roots, and apply also to my lashes and eyebrows every night (using a q-tip). I've only been using this for a few weeks and I have to admit that my hair, lashes and brows have never been glossier. My hair is breaking way less and falling out far less. I'm excited to see the results after 2 months of use!

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2012 4:42:00 PM More reviews by Euphoria93

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this product! First of all because it's really cheap (I use now foods) and because it actually works! But you have to be patient and use it at least every night over a longer period of time (I used it for 3 months before I saw a difference, and I still had to apply it for another month to really fill in the brows). I also used it on my eyelashes, but I focused mostly on the brows, so I guess I wasn't persistent enough to see much of a difference - but I noticed that less eyelashes fell off during application and removing of mascara. Thumbs up for that! But a little bit goes a long way - your brows shouldn't be sticky or wet, if that's the case the oil can be smeared into the skin and cause breakouts.

And I know a lot of people find this quite messy, but I found a solution that worked great for me: You know those supertiny test tubes in glas from decleor they use for the serum (neroli, rose)? Yeah, that made everything so much easier for me. I just poured it half full and has it lying around. No spilling, no huge and ugly bottle that has to be available on the sink. I don't even need a q-tip, seeing as the glas is formulated to only release a small amount. Just go to a skincare salon and ask pretty please with sugar on top if you can get a tester of the serum. Most of them should say yes, but if they say no you can also use perfume test tubes. I suppose those come in extra handy too, seeing as they have that stick tingy in it (used for applying the perfume) that can help you dot the oil into the brows.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No