Philosophy Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

3.7

Water, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Coco-Glucoside, Coconut Alcohol, Peg-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Geranium Maculatum Oil, Guaiac (Guaiacum Officinale) Extract, Cymbopogon Martini Oil, Rosa Damascena Extract, Amyris Balsamifera Bark Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Cinnamomum Cassia Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Piper Nigrum (Pepper) Seed Extract, Polysorbate 20, Glycerin, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Yellow 5 (Ci 19140).

on 1/5/2009 3:48:00 PM

sadly, this stuff just doesn't work for me. after reading all the rave reviews for it, i was so excited to try, and i really wanted it to work, but, alas, it just doesn't. it made me breakout horribly. not only did it break me out, but it dried my skin out terribly. even though i exfoliate regularly, i was covered in flakes the entire time i used this. i also can't stand the soapy, dish soap smell this stuff has. the only reason it gets a two instead of a one is because it does seem to remove makeup pretty well and you can use it all over your eyes without burning them. honestly, i wouldn't even recommend you try this, given the price. its just nothing special.

on 1/4/2009 7:44:00 PM

Unfortunately, I have not had much luck with Philosophy products in general. In regard to Purity Made Simple specifically, I could barely get past the horrible medicinal smell, but I thought I would give it a chance since it has received so many favorable reviews. However, the end result was consitent with my other experiences with this brand, as my relationship with this product ended in disappointment. Within a few days, my skin developed an orange-peel texture (on my cheeks, at least) and then started peeling in several areas. Apparently, there is an ingredient in Philosophy products that my skin just can't tolerate (am I the only one that develops contact dermatitis EVERY time I use a Philosophy product?) Oh well!

on 1/4/2009 10:22:00 AM

This is OKAY for me. Doesn't do anything particularly great, and yeah, I'd buy it again. Only because it does clean your skin without the hefty price.

on 1/2/2009 11:20:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Awful!! My friend uses this and just raves about it and she let me borrow it and it dried my skin out horribly!! Yuck!!!

on 1/2/2009 11:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Broke me out horribly after a few uses. Not just in certain spots either, but everywhere! Looking at the ingredients, it's no wonder I broke out!

on 1/2/2009 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

This is my second time giving Purity a chance. I have been using Mary Kay Time Wise cleanser in the bar formula in the morning, but wanted a different night time cleanser. I decided after looking at other reviews to give this cleanser a chance. I not pleased with the scent, but its not awful and I have a very sensitive nose. It does foam when you use a brush. I use the $5 face brush from Sephora. My skin feels clean and looks a little brighter after washing my face. It does leave behind a very thin film on your skin, but I think it like a type of moisturizer. I like it. It does not affect the rest of my product applications. I have normal skin that tends to be a little on the dry side and I do suffer with dermititis. So I have to be very careful because products will break out my skin easily. Normally within the 1st day or two. I have been using this for a week with no problems. I removes all traces of makeup. (not eye m/u) and its also a good brush cleaner.

Like many other reviewers, I use this at night. First I remove my eye makeup with Neutrogena Makeup Removing Pads (which work much better than the reviews would let on, at least for me), then I rub some almond oil into my face. This removes most of makeup and any other eye makeup that remains. Then I use Purity Made Simple with the Clarisonic...my skin is GORGEOUS now, no lie...(:
And no, it doesn't feel like it removes all your makeup if you use it without a skin brush, like the Clarisonic, but nothing ever comes off on a toner pad...so I would def. recommend this...also it doesn't dry your face out like some other cleansers that are supposed to remove all your makeup...give it a try, they sell little sample bottles of it at sephora for just a few dollars...and if you don't like it, you can always return it!

on 1/1/2009 7:45:00 PM

This product is very gentle, and i have not found another replacement which is just as good. Very good for combination skin, it clears the oil off my T-zone, and keeps my dry patches normal (surprisingly). Nice texture and smell, doesn't foam (and its not supposed to, there is another version of this that does, but is for oily skin).

I always try different cleansers from different brands that were even more expensive and just didn't do the job and i always end up going back to this one. I'm not really a fan of any of their other products, but this one has got to be the best of this brand. Its been my lifesaver, especially when i have had allergic reactions to many different brands, and had to wash the stuff off my face with purity to calm my skin. It doesn't clog my pores, it keeps my skin beautifully firm, soft and moisturized. I highly recommend this product.

I have sensitive, combination skin. I was breaking out around my chin (both bumps and acne). I could not get rid of the bumps and I tried the Neutrogena acne line (the one with the cleanser, bpo, & sunscreen) and they still would not go away!

I bought this (the small size) just to try it (I had read about it). I use it once a day (at night) and it's gotten rid of the bumps and helped keep the acne away. It has also helped a bit with fine lines on my face and my face appears 'brighter'.

The only con I can come up with is the smell. It is very 'herbally' and 'hippy-ish'. I will buy it again.

on 1/1/2009 4:26:00 PM

At first I was disappointed. It's low foaming (unless you use a face brush), and doesn't strip your skin and has oils to condition your skin so upon initial use, you wonder, "what exactly is this doing to my skin? It doesn't seem like it's doing anything." But that's the point. It doesn't do what the drugstore cleansers do that we're used to. It doesn't dry out your skin, it doesn't irritate your eyes, it doesn't cause sensitive skin to flare up and cause problems throughout the day. It has a delicate scent. It washes off completely and there's no need to tone afterwards. Moisturizer is optional, depending on skin-type and what kind of day I'm having. It washes off makeup nicely but not waterproof mascara. That's the only disappointment. This is no guarantee that it'll work for everybody but that's what return policies are for.

ETA: I now use this after shampooing and it really helps with volume and softness. It's also great as a body wash to get rid of the dirt and grime around those difficult places - behind the ears, under the arms, etc.