December 22, 2014 | 1055 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

REFORUMULATED 2012 Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=159975/Double-Wear-Stay-in-place-Makeup/Estee-Lauder/Liquid for the current formulation of this product

rated 1 of 5 on 8/3/2009 1:25:00 PM More reviews by Kemi1989

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I absolutely HATE this product (no offence) .....

I have very sensitive skin...and i live in a very hot n humid country....
and once i wear this foundation ---> OMG...its so sticky, THICK, uncomfortable...greasy....HEAVY LOOK.....and clogs my pores so bad that you can see the foundation has sinked into my pores....

jus very gross. Yuk..BIG NO NO...

currently using Chanel..The whitening one........and am very happy chappy :D

rated 2 of 5 on 8/3/2009 12:51:00 PM More reviews by nkar23

Ha! I hate this stuff. My mother uses it, so sometimes when she does my makeup she uses this foundation on me. First off, it makes my face look mask like, it doesn't fully "blend" in, and it makes my skin shiny and its so obvious that I am wearing makeup (not natural looking). I wore this to prom and a couple other events and by the end of the night I look sweaty and gross, and like I'm wearing a pound of makeup.
On the plus side, it doesn't cake up or lose it's color, it stays true but it just doesn't work for me. I think that if you have a dry skintone or if you are older (not in your twenties), this will work.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/3/2009 4:23:00 AM More reviews by claudi522

I had been using Neutrogena Healthy skin foundation for years. Recently they reformulated it and I have been in the search for a new foundation.

I tried Double Wear in hopes that it would provide good coverage while not breaking me out. My initial thoughts about this foundation is that it does feel thick. I never truly understood the term "mask-like" until this foundation. It really goes on thick and once on it feels sticky, almost as if it's not completely dry.

After about four days use, this foundation wreaked havoc on my skin. Before this, I had the occasional breakout. After this foundation, I am battling an armada of new red, inflamed zits, even in areas where I rarely, if ever, break out! I was very disappointed about this especially because I bought it based on its claims that it is "non-acnegenic". Although I must admit, while I was wearing it I figured it would cause me to break out because it was so thick and heavy, there was no way it wasn't going to stick to my pores. I understand everyone's face is different. I highly suggest trying a sample of this before spending the 30+ dollars that this costs. I basically paid for acne in a bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2009 3:59:00 PM More reviews by princessniah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the only foundation that lasts on my super oily skin and it also comes in a shade pale enough to match my skin tone. With a little Laura Mercier Setting Powder for touching up when i get a bit shiny this lasts quite a few hours on me and even when i don't bother to refresh it, it still looks ok.
My only complaint is that the bottle tends to leak so i keep it in its little cardboard container when carrying it in my handbag

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2009 3:15:00 PM More reviews by Starberri

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Update 2010:

I've found a new HG (see review for Alima Pure), but I did wear this recently on a day where I needed HEAVY coverage and I'll say that if you need buildable/heavy coverage, this is the makeup for you!

----
I recently realized, in a sort of backwards manner, that this is my HG foundation. I thought I could find a replacement that was cheaper/better for skin (mineral), or looked more natural. After trying several brands, I realized this was not the case, and I ran out to get another bottle of DW.

What I love about Double Wear:

1) It stays on all day - I'm oily, so many foundations disappear after my second blotting of the day; DW stays put all day and night.

2) The color is just right and it stays that way - I'm very pale and it's very difficult to find the right match. Even if I do, most foundations oxidize and by the end of the day, my face is a different color than my neck. DW matches perfectly and stays the same color all day.

3) It's buildable - Most makeup counter people will tell you their foundations are "buildable." Usually this is because they don't understand what the word means, or it's just a straight-up lie. For example, I recently tried a very expensive Guerlain foundation and tried to cover my red spots with it - I ended up with orangey/dark splotches all over my face. DW is actually buildable. I DO NOT NEED TO USE CONCEALER with DW; I just use a lip brush to dab extra DW on my red spots and *poof* they are hidden. Awesome!

4) A little goes a long way - One bottle lasts me for months!

5) It has a nice finish - I finally figured out the trick is to use a makeup brush for a more natural finish. If you put too much on, it can look makeup-ey, so it's all about blending (do it quickly, before it dries!).

6) It doesn't make me break out - Along with being very oily, I'm also acne-prone. Many, many foundations have made me break out over the years (the most recent being Make Up For Ever's HD foundation). I have never had any skin problems with DW.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2009 5:12:00 PM More reviews by sperryman

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my all time HG foundation. Wears like iron!! Stays on all day through the humid Texas heat and still looks great. Does not break me out or oxidize and turn yellow on my skin. Covers up my flaws and gives a smooth even glow to my face. You don't need powder to set or a primer before. Would highly reccomend!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/27/2009 1:47:00 PM More reviews by CarasGaladhon

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I am somewhat disappointed with this. First of all, reviews of this seem to rave about the 'full' and 'flawless' coverage this gives. I didn't find the coverage to be all that great. It didn't cover blemishes, it didn't cover my freckles, and it didn't cover my dark circles (all of which, my £10 L'Oreal Infallible has no problem concealing).
Second of all, I bought the lightest shade (Shell 1C1) and it was way too dark for me, I have to blend it into my neck for it to look more natural. This may seem like a problem that not many people will have and I shouldn't mark this product down for it, but the colour swatches on the Estee Lauder website make it look a lot lighter than it actually is, which really, really annoyed me.

Despite this, I have to say that the staying power of this foundation is phenomenal. Every single foundation I have used has had to be reapplied about 2-3 hours after first application. Not with this. I applied it at 8:00am and it was still fresh-looking by 9:00pm.
It is also very matte, so I'm guessing it'll be good for oily skin. Though for those with normal or dry skin, make sure you use a primer or a good moisturiser beforehand to ensure smooth application.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2009 9:35:00 AM More reviews by Faishi

Edit: MY shade is bonne (im also MAC NC20)

The coverage is medium/buildable. make sure you dun apply it too much as it will cakey.. before each use, roll the bottle in betwen ur hands rather than shake the bottle. this way, you're warming up the foundation also it didnt get drop easily(tends to drop when u shake the bottle!) it covers my imperperfections flawlessly such as open pores,blemishes,pimple scars, even my fines lines are invisible too! but you need to be careful with this, after you apply dots on five points of ur face (forehead,cheecks,chin n nose) you need to blend it as soon as u dot them on ur face. otherwise you'll find it hard to blend. i usually apply this all over my face. and only wear this for special outing. or for natural look, apply only wear u need it. then set it with loose powder. this foundation is very long lasting. at times, i do not need to touch up. but if i need to, i dab a tissue on the shiny area then dab w my loose powder. i store my Estee lauder LP in my bare esentuals compact(with shifter,brush n mirror). its so useful!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2009 4:07:00 AM More reviews by yayitsanne

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

After reading the raves on here about this foundation, I decided to give it a try, so I got a few samples from the Estee Lauder counter to try out. Well, I'm really glad I got samples before purchasing. Yes, this covers EVERYTHING, but it emphasized my pores, looked SO unnatural, and felt extremely heavy - and this is coming from a girl who favors fuller coverage foundations like MAC studio fix fluid/studio sculpt, MUFE mat velvet, etc. I tried applying it a number of different ways, and the results were always the same. It also didn't feel like the foundation ever really dried, but instead felt a little tacky all day even after I set it with powder, and it settled into fine lines I didn't even know I had. This might be good for some people who REALLY need coverage and are willing to sacrifice a little bit of not wanting to scream "I'm wearing foundation!" for that coverage, but it's definitely not for me - I'll stick with my MAC and MUFE.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2009 6:07:00 PM More reviews by jaden08

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So, i bought the sumptuous mascara, the double matte powder which i really really love and the take it away cleanser after deciding to try a sample of this bc i felt bad for not even trying it and making a judgment on it solely on the fact of how the makeup artists at the counter looked and especially after i support mac and alot of them look like drag queens, so anyway, im nc 45 in mac and they matched me to soft chestnut, knowing that these colors for this particular foundations run lighter than normal for woc, i got the next three shades as a sample to try at home, which were bronze, rich ginger and spice. So i tried them, bronze, soft chestnut and spice where to light and rich ginger was starting to look kind of reddish/pinkish on my face not too appealing, if anything maybe i could have blended two colors together to get a perfect match but no foundation to me is worth that effort and dollars, especially since my complexion is pretty workable with most foundation companies i tried. What i did notice was that, once applied this foundation goes on completely matte, so oily girls will love this and i was so upset bc i want that as well but this gives your face a very flat look in my opinion, so if your natural and don't like applying blush or bronzer to warm the face up, leave this foundation alone, next the colors were just off for me and it just wasnt natural looking at all. Prescriptives flawless skin and virtual matte, as well gives me what i need in a foundation. I gave it two lippies solely on the fact that you will stay matte and your face will be fully covered if there any type of blemishes or pimples on your face. This shouldn't be for people who have fairly good skin in the first place. Cannot recommend if you still want your natural skin to shine through. I do want to say however the individualist foundation seems 100x better but the lady told me its being discontinued!