August 23, 2014 | 1371 users online

Pressed Powders - Maybelline - Dream Matte Pressed Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2008 11:59:00 PM More reviews by killapriscilla

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I just love this stuff. I personally use this in either FAIR LIGHT 0-1 or IVORY 2-3, really depending on if the liquid foundation I am setting is a tad dark or a tad too light. I own this in a variety of darker shades for contouring and for use on darker faces. Texture is soft and velvety. I use a little for a natural look or use with a heavier hand for a more matte photo finish look.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/18/2008 6:59:00 PM More reviews by ygvo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my first foundation. I like the look it gives me, however, it only achieves a maximum of medium coverage. My mom loves this but she would also see more coverage from this product. During winter, it would pick up dry skin patches. The staying power isn't quite there, even with a translucent finishing powder it would rub off on clothing. My boyfriend loves to touch my face so it rubs off on his clothing and hands all the time. Even with all the makeup and greasy hands, I don't break out from this product. (combo skin).

I agree with everyone that says the packaging sucks. I am begging Maybelline to change the packaging!!!

I would purchase again, but I am going to try out other things because I am a newbie!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2008 7:52:00 AM More reviews by ziggy_medusa

A little about me first, I have combination, highly sensitive skin.

I tend to have trouble with fragrance in face products, resulting in a hive-like rash - lovely huh? I had been using YSL Semi Loose powder which i truly loved but a few weeks of continual use resulted in said rash so off it went to be loved by my mum instead! Considering that i had paid au$80 for it, i wasnt exactly eager to spend a hefty amount on a new setting powder when i didnt have any way of truly seeing if it would cause reactions (as it took a few weeks with my YSL).

I prefer liquid foundation and mainly need a little bit of powder to set my HG foundation (of the moment) MUFE F+B. I want something light, finely milled just to set and minimise a little bit of shine which sets in with this foundation after a few hours.

Pros: Finely milled, very soft especially for a drugstore powder. It is as soft maybe even a little bit softer than my YSL. I only use a smidge to set and i dont really have a great need for mattifying but this powder does effectively set my foundation and keep the end of the day shine at bay. It is well priced for such a finely milled powder. The colour range is quite decent. I wear cream (light 4-5) and i am around an nc20, it is a nice neutral shade that doesnt alter my foundation colour.

Non cakey. I apply lightly with a powder brush and it appears "invisible" and makes my skin seem a little bit more "airbrushed" looking. Finally, one of the best aspects of this powder is that it has not irritated my skin at all (have been using it for a few weeks and so far so good *touch wood*). It is fragrance free, unlike a large number of powders *ahem ysl and chanel*. I am not acne prone but i am prone to clogged pores. I have not had any problem with this powder clogging my pores.

Another positive feature is that it does not grab onto dry patches. I suffer from surface dehydration sometimes and nothing looks worse than when you put powder over the top and your skin looks dry and dehydrated! Maybe because i only use a bit of product, but i have not had any problems with this product accentuating dry patches.

Cons: The package is truly a PITA. When you reach for it the bottom bit swings out. If you try to lift the lid the bottom bit swings out. I swear you breathe in the general direction of this powder and the bottom bit swings out (ok...a slight exageration :P). As the product is so nice, I can overlook this design flaw even though it is highly irritating. I dont carry it around so i only have to deal with it in the mornings. As i dont reapply, i cant say if it cakes after reapplication but i have to say that it doesnt seem like it would unless you put large amounts on.

Aside from the packaging flaw, this is a very nice product which does a very good job (at meeting my own personal requirements anyway) for cheap! Very glad i picked this up. I would definitely buy it again as a setting powder. Whew...sorry for lengthy review! Hopefully you find it helpful.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2008 11:53:00 PM More reviews by MissHippo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a very impressive powder compared to the Loreal trublend powder. It looked very natural and matte as it says. Doesn't give me that powdery look.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2008 4:12:00 PM More reviews by munkey

I hadn't bought any Maybeliine products for years, as was so disappointed with their Great Lash Mascara when we first got it here in the UK. However, I bought this on a whim, and am really glad I did.
It is fantastic for setting your foundation and concealer - best for the T-zone, and all shine was gone, without looking cakey at all. I thought it would emphasize my pores, but actually make skin look smoother. Don't use too much - just one 'press' on the compact, and layer thinly if you want more coverage. My only gripe is with the powder puff - while it is super soft and applies product well, it looks nasty after only a few applications, and can get a bit caked in residue from your foundation. Problem solved if you buy new velour powder puffs cheaply separately. This is a great product for the cheap price, and performed much better than an Armani powder I had bought (and hated!). Will buy again.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/21/2008 3:56:00 PM More reviews by reasonle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

luckily i got this in a BOGOF sale... so i was able to get my hg fdn (maybelline pure) and this. this stuff is just not what i was looking for. personally, i like the dewy look, but becuase my face gets so oily i thought this might be ok. not so much. this was too opaque for me and it was just too powdery. also, even taking a fluffy powder brush makes this stuff come off everywhere and make a mess. the packaging is soooooo bad. the thing wont stay shut in my purse and it is just awkward to hold. i think i will be switiching back to the shine free powder.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2008 2:19:00 PM More reviews by unseelie_fae

this is a pretty good powder. Does what it's supposed to; leaves a velvety matte finish. Careful not to overapply, though, or it may cake up.

The packaging sux though. why in the world have a big thick compact in 3 joined pieces??? You have to rotate the mirror out from the bottom, and then the cover only opens half way, so it's clumsy as crap to apply and wastes room in your purse. I would buy the powder again, but the compact....I'm going to have to think about it. Do I want to deal with this clunky a$$ compact again?

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2008 8:44:00 PM More reviews by aneffigy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

After reading all the great reviews on MUA, I decided to look for this on my weekly grocery trip. To my surprise, all Maybelline was half off, so I had to buy this. I have the Ivory (Light 2-3) shade; I'm a 2 in the Maybelline Pure Makeup, which I love and have been using for years. Most powder foundations make me extremely dry, but this does not. It goes on very smooth and not chalky at all. Haven't tried it yet as a full foundation, but I put on a little over my liquid Pure Makeup to mattify my oily T-zone and it works wonders. Will definitely be keeping this handy.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2008 10:33:00 PM More reviews by Savvy890

Okay, so i was going to switch to organic makeup. which i did. but, i gave all my other makeup products away for the face except for this one. i was really looking for a makeup that didn't have parabens in it, but this one does. this worked so well that i didn't care what they put in it! i loved the packaging! this is awesome and i would definitely recommend this. i love the powder and i would definitely buy it again. it is very soft and has a luxurious silky feel, while being lightweight. by far, this is one of my favorite non organic products ever!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2008 4:34:00 PM More reviews by jazmina94

This is my first pressed powder.
And I love it.
I apply it with a brush and it goes on evenly and gives a matte look. Color is perfect for my skin. Will def. buy again :]