August 21, 2014 | 1820 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2010 1:29:00 AM More reviews by tulipsplash

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

(Me: 39 y.o., combination skin; light/medium skin with more pink than yellow undertones. Sampled this foundation in DUSK.

PROS:
*great mattifier for oily to very oily skin;
*color selection very natural for light/medium skin with pink undertones;
*does not clog pores, may help clear them
*when removed at the end of the day, my skin looked AMAZING!!! even the kids noticed!
*no need for setting powder
*great product for hot and humid climates

CONS:
*felt and looked a little like an oil-absorbing mask;
*made skin feel taut (especially around the eyes);
*color turned after several hours;
*matte finish magnified and drew attention to large pores and fine lines
*bottle packaging instead of more hygienic pump or tube

CONCLUSION: Unless you are very, very oily, MOISTURIZE BIG TIME under this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2010 2:08:00 PM More reviews by snochic469

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

There are a million reviews for this, so I'll try to keep this short =) This product is fabulous for people like me who have oily skin. It truly does stay on as advertised, and does seem to control oil a lot better than the mineral makeup I was using. It took me some time to figure out the best technique to apply it, but now that I've figured it out, I get compliments on my face all the time, whereas before people complimented my makeup (I don't think the mineral makeup was doing me any favors =). This sounds counterintuitive for someone with oily skin, but mixing this with my moisturizer and applying with a foundation brush gives me the look I want, and still lasts all day. This foundation on its own dries VERY fast, but mixing with moisturizer gives me more play-time and makes it easier to blend. Mixing it with my moisturizer still gives me great coverage, which I desperately need, yet still looks like skin and not foundation. I also bought a MAC pump, because my first bottle I BLEW through and was putting WAY too much on; it was hard to control the amount coming out of the bottle. Now that I have the pump, it's much less messy and I'm not using too much.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2010 1:44:00 PM More reviews by KASelway

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

ELDW is my first foray into higher end foundations (so take this review with a grain of salt). For a long time I thought I was content with Rimmel Stay Matte, but I found that the coverage wasn't great and it did not stay put for as long as advertised. I bought ELDW after reading the reviews on this site, and I've been really pleased with the product so far. I have very pale skin- the Shell shade really matches my skin. I was really impressed with the variety of shades Estee Lauder has available for us paler girls- which is my main problem with MAC, neither NC15 and NW15 match. EL Double Wear really covers, especially on my acne scars, and lasts from when I put it on at 7am till when I get home at 6pm... I have oily skin, so if I'm going out after work I just apply some translucent powder, and it does the trick. I've also had a lot of luck using the clumpy bits of product in the cap as a concealer. Applying with my Bare Escentuals concealer brush does the trick!

My only gripes about this product (and hence the 4 lippies) are the lack of a pump as others have noted- I feel like a pump would do a better job of both dispensing and preventing germs. Additionally, I've had an issue with the product sort of flaking if I don't blend it out quickly enough. Using a damp makeup sponge cleared that issue up quickly.

I haven't had any issues with removing this foundation with my regular face wash (Philosophy's Purity Made Simple) which is amazing since this product seems to adhere to my skin so well!

EDIT: Since writing this review, I've switched to Bobbi Brown Natural Finish Foundation with SPF 15. I've found that this foundation looks more natural the ELDW. But I still mean what I wrote in my original review - ELDW is good, but there are better ones out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2010 8:42:00 AM More reviews by chelseahig

I get pretty oily on my nose and tops of cheeks, so foundation seemed to just melt away leaving my pores and uneven skin exposed. I decided to try DW after hearing so many good things about it. Although I really wanted to try the Double Matte, they didn't have it in my shade. So i picked up DW in Dusk. It's a pretty decent match. I love the coverage. I've always had trouble with foundation staying put but this foundation does not budge. It has a decent finish as well. I'd like it to be a little more matte but i guess that's why EL made the double matte formula. I think this works very well with oily skin and I'm very satisfied so far. I would definitly repurchase because as of right now this is the best foundation i've found. The price isn't too expensive considering you spend around the same price for foundations at sephora. It would be nice if the bottle had a pump but i'm not complaining.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/24/2010 12:32:00 AM More reviews by watevayou

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Oh Estee Lauder, how you have made a dissapointing product for your fans. First off the smell is too strong and chemically for my liking. Secondly, this does not spread evenly at all. I bought this back in October and have had time to try this foundation out in every possible way. Primer, without primer, sponge, fingers, wet the sponge, prep the face, fdt brush, everythinngg. I really wanted to love this foundation because it has good coverage. It takes a long time to get it to smooth out enough so that your face doesn't look cakey or too heavy.

For those who are looking to cover mild imperfections this may work for you as you wont have to put a full face foundation on and just spot coverage.. but for anything like acne scars or emerging acne.. this won't cover at all. My best application I got out of this was with a wet sponge but the sponge soaks up a lot of product so its pretty wasteful. I'm almost done using it up and the bottle is a little thick.. just like the foundation itself. You can't shake it up or anything and im assuming since it binds so well together you dont have to worry about the foundation separating or anything.

Sad because I wanted to use this product for a while longer and stretch my dollar a bit.. I got this for around 38-42 bucks at nordies.. cant remember exact price. But it's expensive for what it is.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2010 10:07:00 PM More reviews by kblack

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

After reading reviews about this for a long time, and adding up what I have spent in high and low end foundation, I went with ELDW in Ecru, based on reviews of ladies who are MAC NW20 like me. I was wearing Shisheido in 02O, but it was leaving me oily and flaky by the end of the day. I have generally good skin,but it's oily, mature, and I get stress-related eczema near my eye area, which is a bit wrinkly on a good day.

The ELDW applied at 7:00 am is still looking good at 10:00 pm. No flaking, no oil slicks.

I applied it over a base of MCS's new face boost serum and Olay's wrinkle filler, and used a foundation brush--it does dry pretty fast. I found this easy to blend with fingers after application if I worked quickly.

I feel like I had less eyeliner migrating under my eyes, but I can't swear it was the ELDW.

Even with lots of cell phone use, which used to create a lot of transfer, it stayed put. Removal will be with EVCO followed by some Cetaphil so I don't anticipate any problems there.

This may be my HG of foundations. 900+ MUAers can't be wrong :-) And thanks to reviewers, I ordered a pump from MAC last night, so the hygiene issue of the open bottle won't be an issue.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2010 6:48:00 PM More reviews by bebemonte

This is my new favorite foundation!
I used to think that Laura Mercier Oil free foundation was the best (great coverage, matte, long-lasting) but I think this is even better! Zapped the oil slicks and did not accentuate the flaky dry spots -- GENIUS!
The only makeup ever I didn't have to apply powder on top of -- covers beautifully and stays on for hours.
Sand was a perfect match for my NC25 skin.
Highly recommend!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/20/2010 3:38:00 PM More reviews by paigeturner

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

oh. i wanted to love this product so much; i scoured the pages and pages of these reviews and finally convinced myself that i needed a 14th foundation to add to my collection.
big mistake, huge.

first off, the colour match is a little too pink for me but that i can deal with (kinda). the bottle looks quite old fashioned, but classy (ill give them that) and DOES NOT COME WITH A PUMP. so irritating and unhygenic; particularly annoying as the consistency of the foundation is more runny that colourstay, for example, so it swooshes out!
admittedly, it looks great when i put it on intially; good coverage and a fairly matte finish, but after a couple of hours, it had settled "on top" of my skin, if you know what i mean. it looked terrible and cakey and patchy and REPULSIVE.
ive never had a foundation look so bad; i wore it to an eight hour shift and was so embarrased when i looked in the mirror on my break; i looked a mess!

i wanted to love this, but couldn't. will definately not repurchase, especially at around £26; im so peeved im now stuck with a useless bottle of expensive foundation (im so jealous of you americans and wonderful returns policy!)

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2010 1:16:00 PM More reviews by knightranch

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Dang! I so wanted to love this and only purchased after scrutinizing the MUA reviews. I selected the shade Fresco which was a pretty good match - I'm fair-med and cool. It does have tons of coverage and a matte finish, but by days end looked masklike and heavy on me even though I had applied with a light hand. I used a foundation brush to apply and would have experimented with other application methods, but it caused a breakout (I keep hoping my temperamental skin will become more tolerable), so I am returning it. It did not work for me, but it's a fave of many MUAers, so give it a try and see if it works for you! I'm giving it a 3 for matte coverage and staying power.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2010 1:17:00 PM More reviews by jennixo

I have only been using this foundatoin for a week now and i love it!! It has the perfect coverage and works great on my combination skin.
The colour i picked online when i ordered it off the website- it matches my skin okay.. but i think a slightly lighter shade would of been much better.
I use it for my going out makeup as its quite thick in my opinion for every day use. But if my skin is having a bad day i do mix a bit in with my tinted moistruiser. Overall i love this product - its quite expensive however, but if it works the price doesn't really matter!