July 30, 2014 | 1013 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2010 2:02:00 PM More reviews by triniloveyxx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Awww i can't believe how great his foundation is. I've always stayed away from EL because I thought it was a 'grandma' brand lol but it was until I saw great reviews on here (thanks MUA) I went to an EL counter and got samples to try in 5w and 5n. I wore this before going to a club and I was dancing all night. My nose got shiny which is normal but the rest of my makeup was still in place! I couldn't believe it. I also like that it covers well without masking your natural skin. The 5W was too orange and the 5N is okay but might be a bit too dark. I'll experiment with 4N and see how that works. I really hope I find the perfect color to match!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2010 4:56:00 AM More reviews by kylies67

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've only just used a sample of this product which gave me 3 days worth but I must say Im impressed. For 10 years I have been using the Ultima ll Wonderwear and was bitterly disappointed when it was discontinued. I have sampled almost everything else on the market trying to find something comparible. Being 42 years old I've been finding that everything seems to build up in the fine lines under my eyes and looks terrible after a couple of hours! Well Good news!! The Estee Lauder Double Wear is almost identical - I actually think its even a little better. It goes on easier - the Ultima had to be put on fairly quickly because it dries fast. It stays looking perfect all day long and I think it seems to control the shine on my nose a little better. I'll have to buy a full bottle and use it for a few months to confirm that but for the 3 days in a row I've used it I've been very happy. It has the same perfect medium to full coverage and doesnt look cakey or overdone.
If you have been in the market for something similar to Ultima like I have give this a go I think you will be happy.
Good luck!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2010 7:57:00 AM More reviews by LilMizz

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've wanted to like this foundation so much that I've bought it again and again for years. I bought this inititally because of its long-staying power and the full coverage, but I've learned that these effects are simply not worth it if your overall face ends up looking.. awful.

On my golden-tan skin this has never looked right. I've been through several shades, from Shell-Beige to Softan to Wheat and every single time it left the same striking white cast over my skin. I then went darker and tried Bronze and the reaction to my face when I wore this to work was - by two MALE colleagues - that I looked like an orange. Having shelled out a fortune on this product I only now realise that the colour selection is simply poor. It doesn't provide for skin with yellow/golden undertones. It's either too pink or too orange and no inbetween.

In addition, this foundation always felt very very heavy on the skin. This is probably because of the full-coverage it provides which is great and all, but it looks like I'm wearing a mask and however hard I try to blend this it always looks the same - like I've layered on some paint.

Simply put, I've just realised how horrible this foundation really is. For me, a good foundation should provide coverage whilst also letting your own skin show through. My skin needs to breathe. A good foundation looks natural, it looks like your true skin but only better. A good foundation should NOT catch the attention of co-workers and colleagues who comment on how I look orange or even grey (yes, grey!) :(

And to add proof to this argument, I tested this foundation in photographs. I put the various shades of DoubleWear along my arm and then put my other foundations next to it (NARS) when I took a photo with my flash camera, ONLY the EL DoubleWear would show up as literally *white*.

Overall - DoubleWear would be good only if it matches your skin perfectly and I think it's better suited for fairer skinned girls for whom a white cast effect wouldn't look so awful. But on my golden/tan complexion this looked horrid and Im glad that I no longer try and wear this foundation just because of the good reviews it receives from others. I guess I've learnt to just stick to what works for me, not what works for others.

And to the question of would I buy it (yet) again.. NOOOPE! :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2010 1:29:00 AM More reviews by tulipsplash

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

(Me: 39 y.o., combination skin; light/medium skin with more pink than yellow undertones. Sampled this foundation in DUSK.

PROS:
*great mattifier for oily to very oily skin;
*color selection very natural for light/medium skin with pink undertones;
*does not clog pores, may help clear them
*when removed at the end of the day, my skin looked AMAZING!!! even the kids noticed!
*no need for setting powder
*great product for hot and humid climates

CONS:
*felt and looked a little like an oil-absorbing mask;
*made skin feel taut (especially around the eyes);
*color turned after several hours;
*matte finish magnified and drew attention to large pores and fine lines
*bottle packaging instead of more hygienic pump or tube

CONCLUSION: Unless you are very, very oily, MOISTURIZE BIG TIME under this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2010 2:08:00 PM More reviews by snochic469

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

There are a million reviews for this, so I'll try to keep this short =) This product is fabulous for people like me who have oily skin. It truly does stay on as advertised, and does seem to control oil a lot better than the mineral makeup I was using. It took me some time to figure out the best technique to apply it, but now that I've figured it out, I get compliments on my face all the time, whereas before people complimented my makeup (I don't think the mineral makeup was doing me any favors =). This sounds counterintuitive for someone with oily skin, but mixing this with my moisturizer and applying with a foundation brush gives me the look I want, and still lasts all day. This foundation on its own dries VERY fast, but mixing with moisturizer gives me more play-time and makes it easier to blend. Mixing it with my moisturizer still gives me great coverage, which I desperately need, yet still looks like skin and not foundation. I also bought a MAC pump, because my first bottle I BLEW through and was putting WAY too much on; it was hard to control the amount coming out of the bottle. Now that I have the pump, it's much less messy and I'm not using too much.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2010 1:44:00 PM More reviews by KASelway

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

ELDW is my first foray into higher end foundations (so take this review with a grain of salt). For a long time I thought I was content with Rimmel Stay Matte, but I found that the coverage wasn't great and it did not stay put for as long as advertised. I bought ELDW after reading the reviews on this site, and I've been really pleased with the product so far. I have very pale skin- the Shell shade really matches my skin. I was really impressed with the variety of shades Estee Lauder has available for us paler girls- which is my main problem with MAC, neither NC15 and NW15 match. EL Double Wear really covers, especially on my acne scars, and lasts from when I put it on at 7am till when I get home at 6pm... I have oily skin, so if I'm going out after work I just apply some translucent powder, and it does the trick. I've also had a lot of luck using the clumpy bits of product in the cap as a concealer. Applying with my Bare Escentuals concealer brush does the trick!

My only gripes about this product (and hence the 4 lippies) are the lack of a pump as others have noted- I feel like a pump would do a better job of both dispensing and preventing germs. Additionally, I've had an issue with the product sort of flaking if I don't blend it out quickly enough. Using a damp makeup sponge cleared that issue up quickly.

I haven't had any issues with removing this foundation with my regular face wash (Philosophy's Purity Made Simple) which is amazing since this product seems to adhere to my skin so well!

EDIT: Since writing this review, I've switched to Bobbi Brown Natural Finish Foundation with SPF 15. I've found that this foundation looks more natural the ELDW. But I still mean what I wrote in my original review - ELDW is good, but there are better ones out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2010 8:42:00 AM More reviews by chelseahig

I get pretty oily on my nose and tops of cheeks, so foundation seemed to just melt away leaving my pores and uneven skin exposed. I decided to try DW after hearing so many good things about it. Although I really wanted to try the Double Matte, they didn't have it in my shade. So i picked up DW in Dusk. It's a pretty decent match. I love the coverage. I've always had trouble with foundation staying put but this foundation does not budge. It has a decent finish as well. I'd like it to be a little more matte but i guess that's why EL made the double matte formula. I think this works very well with oily skin and I'm very satisfied so far. I would definitly repurchase because as of right now this is the best foundation i've found. The price isn't too expensive considering you spend around the same price for foundations at sephora. It would be nice if the bottle had a pump but i'm not complaining.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/24/2010 12:32:00 AM More reviews by watevayou

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Oh Estee Lauder, how you have made a dissapointing product for your fans. First off the smell is too strong and chemically for my liking. Secondly, this does not spread evenly at all. I bought this back in October and have had time to try this foundation out in every possible way. Primer, without primer, sponge, fingers, wet the sponge, prep the face, fdt brush, everythinngg. I really wanted to love this foundation because it has good coverage. It takes a long time to get it to smooth out enough so that your face doesn't look cakey or too heavy.

For those who are looking to cover mild imperfections this may work for you as you wont have to put a full face foundation on and just spot coverage.. but for anything like acne scars or emerging acne.. this won't cover at all. My best application I got out of this was with a wet sponge but the sponge soaks up a lot of product so its pretty wasteful. I'm almost done using it up and the bottle is a little thick.. just like the foundation itself. You can't shake it up or anything and im assuming since it binds so well together you dont have to worry about the foundation separating or anything.

Sad because I wanted to use this product for a while longer and stretch my dollar a bit.. I got this for around 38-42 bucks at nordies.. cant remember exact price. But it's expensive for what it is.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2010 10:07:00 PM More reviews by kblack

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

After reading reviews about this for a long time, and adding up what I have spent in high and low end foundation, I went with ELDW in Ecru, based on reviews of ladies who are MAC NW20 like me. I was wearing Shisheido in 02O, but it was leaving me oily and flaky by the end of the day. I have generally good skin,but it's oily, mature, and I get stress-related eczema near my eye area, which is a bit wrinkly on a good day.

The ELDW applied at 7:00 am is still looking good at 10:00 pm. No flaking, no oil slicks.

I applied it over a base of MCS's new face boost serum and Olay's wrinkle filler, and used a foundation brush--it does dry pretty fast. I found this easy to blend with fingers after application if I worked quickly.

I feel like I had less eyeliner migrating under my eyes, but I can't swear it was the ELDW.

Even with lots of cell phone use, which used to create a lot of transfer, it stayed put. Removal will be with EVCO followed by some Cetaphil so I don't anticipate any problems there.

This may be my HG of foundations. 900+ MUAers can't be wrong :-) And thanks to reviewers, I ordered a pump from MAC last night, so the hygiene issue of the open bottle won't be an issue.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2010 6:48:00 PM More reviews by bebemonte

This is my new favorite foundation!
I used to think that Laura Mercier Oil free foundation was the best (great coverage, matte, long-lasting) but I think this is even better! Zapped the oil slicks and did not accentuate the flaky dry spots -- GENIUS!
The only makeup ever I didn't have to apply powder on top of -- covers beautifully and stays on for hours.
Sand was a perfect match for my NC25 skin.
Highly recommend!