August 23, 2014 | 1008 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 1 of 5 on 3/13/2010 5:02:00 PM More reviews by sakinaskincare

I liked the shade when I tried it on, and already been lemming on this product for months.. when I finally bought it, I used it couple of times.. and I regretted it...
too hard to spread the foundation with whatever you use, because it dries too fast.. it looks so unnatural, and I felt like it was clogging my pores too much.. it wasnt a light felt foundation.. so I regret buying this.. I gave this to my mom.. and the price is just unreasonable compared to the quality of the product plus the packaging... I mean, come on... without a pump? anyways, dont buy this, this is way over-hyped..

rated 2 of 5 on 3/13/2010 4:40:00 PM More reviews by marlina10

When the woman at the Estee Lauder counter first put this on me, I loved how well the shade matched my skin. And, I loved that it would stay put for a long time during the day. HOWEVER, the minute I saw a picture of me taken while wearing this makeup I immediately stopped using it. It is not a photo-friendly make up. Even the woman at the Estee Lauder counter said this when I brought it back. It made my face look ghostly white, and it's not that the shade was too light. It was a good shade for me, she said the SPF chemicals in it reflect when you take a picture and causes the ghost face. With engagement pictures coming up, I'm not wearing a foundation that looks horrible in pictures!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2010 1:50:00 PM More reviews by Olgtat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

The bottle is too heavy, The texture is too thick, i could wear it just at night time, but i used it years ago, when i didnt have any troubles with my skin, so i didnt have to use anything during the day on my skin, so i just used this at night just to seem more make upable )))) And i used it as anti cerne for my eyes, when i had violet color there.
But it was favorite foundation for my friend.
I would probably buy it again..for night time..but i dont like its texture.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2010 2:37:00 PM More reviews by Rice27

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

i'm half and half on this one. i love the coverage and the first few hours of wear, my face looks great. as the day goes on, it starts to crack and look cakey...very fake. of course, with the type of foundation this is and the long wear, you'll have that. even with a light application with my foundation brush....i had the same cracking, dry, fake look. i do however recommend this for covering up scars, acne, etc etc. i'm your classic cystic acne gal with major scarring to boot and this does a WONDERFUL job with coverage. i'm not sure if primer and powder change the effect of this foundation as i use smashbox photofinish and MUFE HD powder (i'm not really a fan of these products either but haven't found anything better yet). also let me add that i tend to have drier skin on my cheeks, chin and jawline being that i'm always treating it because of acne. this may be the reason my skin just doesn't react well to the foundation and i find that in my oily spots, the foundation rubs off or melts.

*update!! I have to add one more lippie because, at this point, i haven't found anything else better that's worked for my skin condition and looks as natural as it can be with my awful skin. this foundation with a foundation brush, smashbox photofinish primer, MUFE hd powder, and MUFE mist and fix are getting me through the day and out the door with LESS oil and good coverage (minus concealer!) for my acne. i do believe that the mist and fix is making the foundation look more natural and less cakey and fake.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/9/2010 5:02:00 AM More reviews by kristinaa1985

this one did not work out for me, it dried out my skin, and made me feel like i had on a mask after applying it, and i really didnt use much, it did not work out for me, i will not buy it again..still looking for the right foundation for me!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2010 1:56:00 PM More reviews by ilexica

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

To date, Doublewear is probably the best foundation I've tried. (It's the one I rebuy, anyway). It doesn't transfer, the coverage is good and buildable, and it doesn't oxidise through the day.

However, I do find you have to be a bit cunning with the application. For a 'standard' application, apply with a foundation brush. However, I don't personally like doing this - it's very hard to judge the right amount, and since this stuff dries very, very quickly you can end up with a cakey, over made-up mess if you're not careful. Another method (which I prefer) is to buff it in with a skunk brush or kabuki. Again though because it dries so fast you have to be super quick.

However what really made me like this foundation was the discovery that it works great mixed with moisturiser. For daily wear I now moisturise my (very dry) skin, leave it to sink in, then mix 1:1 DW and simple oil-free moisturiser on the back of my hands. Apply with my fingers, and buff in with a kabuki. The finish is still pretty flawless but it's more buildable, doesn't dry as quickly, and it's more forgiving in that it's much harder to end up with a mask-like effect. Applied like this is lasts all day for me, and I regularly work 14 hour days where it's really tested! (I touch up the powder in the afternoon, but it doesn't come off on my phone or clothes, doesn't oxidise, and doesn't wear off).

One thing I'm not delighted about is the colour choice. I'm pretty damn fair - NW10, if it existed - and although I use 'shell', it's not a perfect match. It's a bit too pink and too dark. If they increased the range of shades this would be perfect, but alas, it is not to be!

I've taken off one lippy for the packaging. The lack of a pump is a real PITA because the head of the bottle is huge and you end up dolloping loads everywhere and wasting lots (given how easy it is to overdose on this stuff anyway, EL should really wake up to how rubbish the packaging is). I bought a foundation pump from MAC which I like a lot better since it dispenses a useable amount of foundation rather than covering my hand. Given the godawful bottle I think the price is bloody steep, but unless I find anything better I will be sticking with DW!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2010 10:21:00 PM More reviews by BRS

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I thought this product was fantastic! Except unfortunately, whether it was the foundation itself or the colour that was chosen for me, I found it very pink on my yellow-undertone skin.
It's lasting power is great! It actually lived up to it's claim and lasted longer than six hours of application! The colour stayed well on my skin - though the finish did not. I still had to touch up continuously through the day because I was so shiny. It also did not help my oily skin at all.
The application is easy as the foundation glides on to my skin easily and sets quickly. And it didnt even transfer onto anything my face touched (like my mobile phone)!
The packaging is a little difficult because there is no pump that fits the product and is easy to pour too much out! So be careful.
If you do not have shine issues, this product is brilliant! It's expensive, but for a product that works, I would buy it again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2010 2:02:00 PM More reviews by triniloveyxx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Awww i can't believe how great his foundation is. I've always stayed away from EL because I thought it was a 'grandma' brand lol but it was until I saw great reviews on here (thanks MUA) I went to an EL counter and got samples to try in 5w and 5n. I wore this before going to a club and I was dancing all night. My nose got shiny which is normal but the rest of my makeup was still in place! I couldn't believe it. I also like that it covers well without masking your natural skin. The 5W was too orange and the 5N is okay but might be a bit too dark. I'll experiment with 4N and see how that works. I really hope I find the perfect color to match!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2010 4:56:00 AM More reviews by kylies67

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've only just used a sample of this product which gave me 3 days worth but I must say Im impressed. For 10 years I have been using the Ultima ll Wonderwear and was bitterly disappointed when it was discontinued. I have sampled almost everything else on the market trying to find something comparible. Being 42 years old I've been finding that everything seems to build up in the fine lines under my eyes and looks terrible after a couple of hours! Well Good news!! The Estee Lauder Double Wear is almost identical - I actually think its even a little better. It goes on easier - the Ultima had to be put on fairly quickly because it dries fast. It stays looking perfect all day long and I think it seems to control the shine on my nose a little better. I'll have to buy a full bottle and use it for a few months to confirm that but for the 3 days in a row I've used it I've been very happy. It has the same perfect medium to full coverage and doesnt look cakey or overdone.
If you have been in the market for something similar to Ultima like I have give this a go I think you will be happy.
Good luck!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2010 7:57:00 AM More reviews by LilMizz

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've wanted to like this foundation so much that I've bought it again and again for years. I bought this inititally because of its long-staying power and the full coverage, but I've learned that these effects are simply not worth it if your overall face ends up looking.. awful.

On my golden-tan skin this has never looked right. I've been through several shades, from Shell-Beige to Softan to Wheat and every single time it left the same striking white cast over my skin. I then went darker and tried Bronze and the reaction to my face when I wore this to work was - by two MALE colleagues - that I looked like an orange. Having shelled out a fortune on this product I only now realise that the colour selection is simply poor. It doesn't provide for skin with yellow/golden undertones. It's either too pink or too orange and no inbetween.

In addition, this foundation always felt very very heavy on the skin. This is probably because of the full-coverage it provides which is great and all, but it looks like I'm wearing a mask and however hard I try to blend this it always looks the same - like I've layered on some paint.

Simply put, I've just realised how horrible this foundation really is. For me, a good foundation should provide coverage whilst also letting your own skin show through. My skin needs to breathe. A good foundation looks natural, it looks like your true skin but only better. A good foundation should NOT catch the attention of co-workers and colleagues who comment on how I look orange or even grey (yes, grey!) :(

And to add proof to this argument, I tested this foundation in photographs. I put the various shades of DoubleWear along my arm and then put my other foundations next to it (NARS) when I took a photo with my flash camera, ONLY the EL DoubleWear would show up as literally *white*.

Overall - DoubleWear would be good only if it matches your skin perfectly and I think it's better suited for fairer skinned girls for whom a white cast effect wouldn't look so awful. But on my golden/tan complexion this looked horrid and Im glad that I no longer try and wear this foundation just because of the good reviews it receives from others. I guess I've learnt to just stick to what works for me, not what works for others.

And to the question of would I buy it (yet) again.. NOOOPE! :)