Philosophy Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

3.7

Water, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Coco-Glucoside, Coconut Alcohol, Peg-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Geranium Maculatum Oil, Guaiac (Guaiacum Officinale) Extract, Cymbopogon Martini Oil, Rosa Damascena Extract, Amyris Balsamifera Bark Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Cinnamomum Cassia Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Piper Nigrum (Pepper) Seed Extract, Polysorbate 20, Glycerin, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Yellow 5 (Ci 19140).

on 2/11/2009 11:49:00 AM

I've used this product for a year now. Before I started using this one, I used the Clinique Mild soap for combination skin for years. And I noticed my cheeks were getting dry and reddish. So I went to sephora looking for a more gentle cleanser. This was recommended to me by the staff. I first bought a small bottle to try it out. It felt great. Skin doesn't feel tight or dry after the wash. But maybe i was too used to the soap so I always felt it doesn't clean as well. So I kept using the soap at night and Purity in the morning only. But after a while, I noticed that as I'm getting used to it, it feels just as clean so I completely stopped the soap. As long as you exfoliate your skin regularly, you won't have any blackheads problem at all. The big bottle lasted me 8 months and there's still enough for 2 more months. So it's definitely good value. I will probably buy it again unless I hear about something better.

on 2/9/2009 7:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I picked up a sample bottle of this stuff from Sephora to see what the hype was about. After finally feeling like I had a decent hold on my acne, I was ready to walk away from proactiv altogether and start on a less intense skincare regimen. Ten dollars will get you 3.5 ounces of this stuff, which is enough to use a moderate amount of it twice a day for about five weeks, which will give you adequate time to see what it does for your skin.

Pros- It smelled odd in the beginning, but I'm actually pretty into the smell now. It's kind of peppery, but in a fragrant way. Not in a "makes you want to sneeze" kind of way.
It took off my eye makeup pretty well. I don't use waterproof mascara, and I seldom use eye liner, but when I did, I noticed that it took it off with minimal effort, and it was nice to not have to use a separate eye makeup remover.
It's pretty gentle. It didn't dry me out, or leave me super oily. Most face washes end up doing one or the other, but this stuff left me pretty balanced.
The packaging is pretty decent too. Simple, and the lid stays closed well, so when I had to toss it into an overnight bag, I didn't have to worry about it opening up and getting all over, which has happened to me in the past with different products.

Cons- This stuff clogged my pores something FIERCE. I have never ever had more blackheads than I have as a result of this stuff.This is why I took off two lippies, because it kind of defeats the purpose of washing your face if you're going to do it with something that's going to clog your pores.
It also took quite a while before I saw any sort of positive change in my skin. I was ready to throw it out after the second week, because all it was doing was clogging my pores, but I stayed consistent and as time passed, I found I did get less cystic zits. But that could be because I switched foundations about 3 weeks into my usage of this stuff.

So all in all, it's not a terrible cleanser. It'd definitely be a keeper if it didn't clog my pores, but it's definitely not the worst cleanser I've ever used. I won't be buying it again on account of the clogging, but you might have a better experience. I strongly recommend checking out the sample size first. I'd probably be a little bit heartbroken if I had purchased the full size bottle of this stuff, because I'd still be stuck with 80% of it.

on 2/9/2009 1:25:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The only reason I gave this a two was because I like the smell, like a lavender type of smell and it's makeup removing is okay. The packaging was okay, i'm really not picky enough to judge a bottle unless it's horrible. But this product, I feel I have the right to judge it's horrible results. I paid thrity two dollars for the second biggest size which isn't big at all [Don't remember exact size]. I used it for a a week and I broke out horribly, but maybe thinking it'd get better I used it for a little longer then a month. I am not allergic to any of it's ingredients, but you'd think i was by how horrible my face looked. So i went to a Derm. and she prescribed me Antibiotics and my skin has never looked so flawless!

on 2/8/2009 2:51:00 PM

It's just OK; I probably won't buy it again, but I'll finish the bottle I have now.

A bunch of my friends are really into Philosophy products, so it's nice to come here and see that I'm not the only one who isn't having much luck with them--I think I'm done with Philosophy!

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

I am going to start off by saying I have insane overreactive skin ( i reacted to cetaphil cleanser)... It started two years ago when I got prego and never abated like it was supposed too--lucky me! So i have tried so many things, weirdly enough it is mostly cleansers that i have a reaction too. I have gone back to this a few times over the years because I really like how it cleanses my skin-- I use it day and night with my clarisonic and it does foam very nicely with my clari (heart) the only thing i dont like is the scent-- I know, i know (frag free) but technically it's not!! So that would be my only complant. So far so good, I just started using it again a week ago so we will see--but so far I am liking it again

on 2/7/2009 4:49:00 PM

This cleanser actually does what it says on the bottle. My face never dries out from this product and cleans my pores for an overall fresh face. No harsh smells or chemicals either which is a plus.

on 2/5/2009 10:52:00 PM

LOVE LOVE this..HG cleanser for sure. This takes off everything (maybe not all heavy mascara) leaves your skin clean and fresh. No toner needed. I use this with the Clarisonic and they both have changed my skin. Best cleanser for my combo/dry skin.

on 2/1/2009 10:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my go-to daily cleanser that lives in my shower, but often travels to the bathroom counter as well. I find that it cleans pretty well, but I still have to use eye make-up remover to get completely rid of the oil spill under my eyes after wearing mascara.

It seems slightly drying, but as long as I remember my moisturizer, I don't have any issues.

I appreciate the lack of packaging--I'm a bit of a package-phobe. I always feel like my trash takes a big hit after a trip to the beauty counter with all of the boxes within boxes within wraps and plastics and more boxes and instruction sheets and ads.

on 2/1/2009 4:22:00 AM

AMAZING!!!!!!
I have normal to combination skin, so I don't know how this product would work for those of you with acne/oily or really dry skin.
I use this product in the evenings to take off my makeup and it really does "melt" it all away. A lot of times I find that cleansers won't completely wash away all my makeup, but this stuff definitely does!!
Doesn't leave my skin feeling tight or dry either. Love it!

on 1/31/2009 8:32:00 AM

I have used this product for a long time now, Once in a while I will try something else but always go back to this one. It really does clean my skin and remove my makeup very well. If you find it to be to drying you are probably leaving it on to long. Leave it on no more then 30 seconds. Less if that still drys your skin out. But dont give up on it. Also if you break out dont just sit the product down and walk away. It is a deep cleanser and it gets down deep so you are going to break out some but after a few days your skin should calm back down if not thats when you should stop using it.