Philosophy Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

3.7

Water, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Coco-Glucoside, Coconut Alcohol, Peg-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Geranium Maculatum Oil, Guaiac (Guaiacum Officinale) Extract, Cymbopogon Martini Oil, Rosa Damascena Extract, Amyris Balsamifera Bark Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Cinnamomum Cassia Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Piper Nigrum (Pepper) Seed Extract, Polysorbate 20, Glycerin, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Yellow 5 (Ci 19140).

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Ok...Purity is my 2nd fave all time cleanser...especially BEFORE they changed the formula, which I know they did regardless of what they say! Still like it, but use a seperate oil cleanser (Devita Oil Cleanser) beforehand if I use eye concealor or foundation.....yeah yeah guys use those as well!!!! Stll like SSC's Glycolic Cleanser more but this does come in 2nd, though I just order Shu's cleansing oil so lets just see if this holds up!!!!

ETA: OK Shu Uemura's A/O Cleansing oil blows this out of the water...no comparison whatsoever!!! This cleanser, although still one of my fave is now my 3rd faverite, behind Serious Skin Care's Glycolic Cleanser and Shu's A/O Cleansing Oil.....

There's not much more I can write that hasn't already been said in other reviews, but here's my Cliffs Notes review:
- leaves my skin soft and clean feeling without overdrying (it has replaced my Shiseido gentle foaming cleanser as my daily face wash)
- pleasant scent
- don't have to apply toner afterwards since skin doesn't feel stripped of its natural oils

The consistency is more like a lotion - it doesn't get very sudsy or foamy. I don't get the "squeaky" feeling after rinsing off, but it's a good thing because my skin doesn't feel overly dry (I have combo skin - oily T-zone, flaky dry cheeks)

I found it doesn't take off my eye makeup for me (but I don't scrub super hard or anything) but it is gentle enough to rub over my closed eyes without stinging.

Price is on the more expensive side, but it's worth it to wait for sales/specials and stock up. I bought the big bottle with a pump on sale at Nordstrom.

OMG, this is my holy grail cleanser. Prior to using this many years ago, I would have to use a cleanser that didn't sting my eyes followed up with an eye makeup remover. What a pain! This, however, is all one step. It takes off even stubborn eye makeup without stinging! That's very important for a contact lens wearer like me. It literally melts away makeup and grime from your face. It doesn't leave my skin tight and dry at all. The fragrance is light and fresh, not overwhelming.

This I buy time and time again. A++++++++++++++

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Pretty much HG material in my family. DH has a bald head and LOVES this for his face and scalp. I've purchased the largest size repeatedly and kept re-filling smaller bottles in our shower. For me, it doesn't remove mascara/eye make up well (and I don't use WP mascara or even eyeshadow most days). Dunno what's up with that but maybe because I don't use this with a washcloth.....just wash and go. Leaves skin soft. For reference, everyone in my house is slightly oily and drier in the winter.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I have been using Purity for about 3 weeks now, and I have to say that I am pretty much in love with this stuff. I have acne-prone, dry skin - and this does not dry out my skin and REALLY cleans.
I love how I can now skip the step of using a separate eye make-up remover... I just lightly massage this into my eyelashes and it removes all of my mascara.
A little goes a long way too... after almost a month, I have only used up maybe 1/4 of the 8 oz. bottle... not even. So I imagine this will last me well over 2 months. I plan on buying the biggest bottle next time. Great stuff! I would recommend it to anyone!

I totally agree with the reviewer that called this the "Holy Grail" of cleansers. I have searched and searched for a cleanser that keeps my skin clear, but is not too drying as I have break-out prone combination skin that gets really dry in the winter. This stuff is absolutely AMAZING!! I have been using Purity for about a year now, and I am so thankful I have found it. Works great every time, and it is the only cleanser I have found that keeps my skin clear and soft year round. Its nice and creamy so I never feel dried out, but it also foams really nicely so it cleans extremely well. $20 is just slightly pricey for a basic cleanser, but well worth it for the amount you get. Not to mention, it actually works. I rave about this product to all of my friends, and everyone I know that has tried it has not bought anything else since. Thank you Philosophy!!!
**EDIT**
I have been using Purity Made Simple for a few years now, and even though I have strayed a few times here and there, I keep running right back to my Purity. It is truely the best cleanser I have ever used and works consistently day after day, season to season, year after year. I am now using it with my Clarisonic Mia and that has just improved my results by leaps and bounds, which I didn't think was possible as I was already in love with this cleanser. But my skin is so clean and bright thanks to my Purity and my Mia.

I use this cleanser in the mornings, to wash off my Neutrogena Anti-Wrinkle/Anti-Blemish treatment, and I really like it. It's a gentle but effective cleanser that's not too drying. I have oily skin and like a more powerful cleanser at night with SA, so I only use this in the am, but I do like it. It's a little pricey but a little goes a long way so the bottle has lasted me quite a while. I will definitely repurchase when I run out though.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This truly is a great cleanser. I was concerned about the mixed reviews here on MUA... luckily sephora was running a special for beauty insiders which gave a free sample of purity made simple and other philosophy products. I am sooo glad I gave it a try! After I finished off the 1oz trial package I promptly purchased the "best sellers" kit from sephora.

This is sort of a milky cleanser that foams just the right amount, especially when considering it is SLS free. It smells very similar to aveda products IMO... slightly herby and medicinal. I think it smells fresh and I like it. It does a great job of removing all my makeup, which includes foundation blush mascara liquid liner, etc.

I also like how this cleanser isnt too harsh... although I have oily skin, it still tends to flake right and feel tight after washing it. Purity made simple does not dry out my skin and has actually improved the overall texture (though not tone as of yet) of my skin. I also let my boyfriend use this and he absolutely loves it... he's on skin treatments like retin a and benzacline so he really liked how this didn't contribute to the dryness.... Overall great product, I'm so glad I stumbled across this and took the chance, even though it is a bit pricey.

I have quested for most of my 43 years for a facial cleanser that would leave me feeling clean enough without feeling stripped--quite a trick with my acne-prone, yet often dehydrated skin. Finally, the HOLY GRAIL. I love this cleanser. It foams just enough--only a tiny amount is needed to get the job done. I can use it to take off my eye makeup (critical, since I'm way too lazy to bother with multiple products for cleansing). It neither irritates nor clogs my skin. I love this. It replaces Purpose forever in my heart.

I use this at night to wash off my makeup. I have intolerant, sensitive skin and this hasn't caused any breakouts or allergic reactions. The only thing I don't like is the smell, which is why I took off one lippie. But I can live with the smell, as long as it does a good job of cleansing (which it does), and doesn't cause any bad reactions from my skin!

UPDATE: I started using this morning and night, and it makes my skin very dry. I still like it, but it's definitely too drying for my skin. I switched to another cleanser.