September 20, 2014 | 1226 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2008 7:59:00 PM More reviews by Mojie

I've found Philosophy products to be hit or miss with most of the ones I've tried being misses (aside from the shower gels, which are generally fairly nice, even if I'm not crazy about the scents most times). But I got a small bottle of this as a deluxe sample from Sephora and figured I may as well try it since it was free.

Since I've switched from washing my face by hand (except when I'm removing my makeup) to using my Clarisonic, I gave it a whirl with Purity, not expecting much. Up until now I've been using Fresh's Soy Face Cleanser (which I adore; it's incredibly gentle and removes makeup with no effort at all) and been getting fairly good results, but I was won over to using Purity instead and saving the Soy Face Cleanser for makeup removal and those times when I wash my face by hand (so as not to over-exfoliate).

Purity's a bit different than other cleansers I've tried. You apply it to dry or damp skin (I've been applying a nickle-sized amount to my face dry, then wetting my Clarisonic head) rather than a wet face like most cleansers. It doesn't foam and doesn't really feel like it's cleaning your face. It's almost like wiping a light lotion that doesn't sink in all over your face.

I saw a visible improvement in my skin after the very first use with my Clarisonic. Whether that's because of the thinner texture of Purity compared to the Soy Face Cleanser (which is a thicker, gel-like texture) or because Purity lends itself better ingredient-wise to use with the Clarisonic, I can't say, but my pores are smaller and there's no excess oiliness in my t-zone. My skin feels very soft and the couple of blemishes that were plaguing me have disappeared. I do find that my face (I have sensitive skin) is fairly red immediately after using Purity but the redness goes away quickly and there's no pain, itching or burning along with it, so it's not a big deal.

Purity rinses off cleanly, leaves no residue and leaves my face clean but not stripped. I can't say how well this works at removing makeup or whether I'd like it for use without the Clarisonic because I always use my Soy Face Cleanser to remove my makeup (nothing else is as gentle on my skin and eyes or as quick) and haven't washed my face by hand since I started using Purity.

Philosophy claims that this has a "unique, fresh scent" and I'd say in the bottle it smells okay. Non-descript and vaguely herbal. Nothing special, but not too bad. But on my face, I swear it smells like nothing but pure rubbing alcohol. It's bizarre since the only difference is that it's on my skin (and closer to my nose), but every time I put this on my face, I get that wallop of alcohol-scent. I prefer Fresh's cucumber scent any day (even though I don't like the scent of cucumber much, it's better than rubbing alcohol). Really, the scent is my only complaint about this cleanser. The price may seem high to some people, but compared to what I'm used to paying for Fresh, it's very reasonable (I can get a 24 oz bottle of Purity for a couple dollars more than a 5.1 oz tube of Soy Face Cleanser).

PROS: (1) easy to use; (2) leaves my skin clean but not stripped; (3) pores look smaller and oiliness has disappeared; (4) works beautifully with the Clarisonic; (5) more budget-friendly than Fresh Soy Face Cleanser.

CONS: (1) alcohol scent on my skin for some bizarre reason; (2) doesn't foam (which doesn't bother me, but may some people--the same is true of Fresh Soy Face Cleanser, incidentally); (3) can't be used around the eyes.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/16/2008 2:39:00 PM More reviews by megan77

I (along with many other reviewers I noticed) really wanted to love this product. I am sad to say it is just another expensive cleanser that not only smelled awful but stung my eyes as well. FRESH soy face cleanser is the only face wash I will ever use.......expensive but worth every penny.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2008 2:56:00 AM More reviews by erinallison

This product is amazing!! I've used really expensive skincare (Jan Marini) and I still had acne. I used this product once and the next morning it was gone. I haven't had acne since.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2008 11:59:00 PM More reviews by ishbeth

I love this product! It's the best cleanser I've ever used. It leaves your face clean and moisterized. I will never be without it!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2008 11:03:00 AM More reviews by glitterboo

I have pretty bad rosacea and this cleanser is amazing. It gets all my eyemakeup as well as any other makeup I have on. It isn't drying and my skin actually feels a little moisturized after using it.

It doesn't irritate my rosacea and even has helped clear it up.

The scent isn't at all like grapefruit as a previous reviewer mentioned. I can't really describe how it smells. It doesn't smell good but it also doesn't smell bad. It's just kind of light and earthy.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2008 9:55:00 AM More reviews by lilmisssunshine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This cleanser does nothing for me, I"m disappointed because the Sales Lady was saying this and that, the ONLY THING i liked is the grapefruit smell. But other than that, my face felt dirty even after using this to wash. It does nothing to my skin, overrated efficiency I assume, and the sad thing is, I've used it for a few weeks and WTF the sebum and the blemishes are coming back !!! (there are none before I use this cleanser) I mean, I HATE THIS cleanser so much. IMO, this DOESN"T EVEN DESERVE A LIPPIE.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/15/2008 9:54:00 AM More reviews by MsLeanna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This cleanser is just OK. Nothing special here. It does a good job of removing my makeup, and I do not have to use a seperate eyemakeup remover, so I liked that aspect. It just doesn't leave my oily skin feeling as clean as I like. Plus, it doesn't help with my blemishes. I think my cheaper Olay cleanser and Cetaphil works better at a fraction of the price, plus it's easier to purchase. Overall, very disappointing.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2008 7:23:00 AM More reviews by Emkat8

Got this in a swap, thank goodness. I'd be mad if I actually paid for this with my hard earned money. I really can't think of many nice things to say about this product. I sort of liked the smell. Thats it. Everything else about it was gross. It gave me LOTS of pimples, my face still felt dirty after washing, and I feel like I have to use quite a bit just to get some cleansing power going on. I really tried this for a quite a few weeks too to be fair, but no it still works horribly for me :( Too bad. But really, I think it is too overpriced anyway. Maybe I'm just frugal, but I honestly believe you can find just as good of a drugstore cleanser as you can high end. Pass on this one ladies, trust me. I picked up a bar of cetaphil cleanser at Wal-mart for $3 and it has done a 100 times better for my face.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2008 12:22:00 PM More reviews by tatornish

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using this for about 3 weeks now. I use it at night time and in the morning use dermalogica daily microfoliant ( which is awesome) in the morning. I was scared to use this because it has oil in it and i am prone to getting breakouts. But since using it , my skin has transformed. I use to use proactive, but i swear i started to age from that and it wasn;t helping my breakouts anymore anyway. Purity, combined with dermalogicas daily micrfolaint and gentle cream exfoilant has transfomred my skin. I look like i'm 16 again! ( i'm 24) At fisrt i didn't like it because i applied it to very wet face and very wet hands and it foamed more ( which i didnt like because more foam=more dry) BUT than i started to wet my face a litte and put about a dime sized drop on DRY hands and rub it into my face. It takes every thing off and cleans so well and DOES NOT dry my skin out. Give it about 2 weeks and you will love it.
Edit: After about two years this started to dry my skin out. Probably because of the sulfates. I just ordered bare minerals purifying facial cleanser (not sulfates or parabans) so hopefully that will work!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2008 9:49:00 AM More reviews by toffeebanoffee

I love this cleanser! It is the only thing that removes my Double Wear foundation. I have very acne prone skin and this does not break me out, I also have dry skin and this cleanser does not dry it out further. The only negative is that I find I have to use quite a bit so it's costly to keep buying, but I wouldn't use anything else.