April 20, 2014 | 1344 users online

Pressed Powders - Maybelline - Dream Matte Pressed Powder ] [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2008 7:25:00 AM More reviews by vanessa713

I have very little experiance with pressed powders (actually, I have none at all) so I really didn't know what to expect with this. I was looking for something to absorb the excess oil on my T zone throughout the day, and I think I've found a HG powder here!

IMO, the packaging of this product really couldn't be improved on, and is much more sophisticated than most other compacts I have seen. Most of the reviews here complain about the packaging but I think it's perfect for what it is - the swing out mirror is a god send. I remember my mums L'oreal pressed powder; she had to turn the compact upside down to look in the mirror because the mirror was on the back of it...crazy! Only bad thing about the packaging is that it decieves you as to how much product is actually in it. There is not a lot of powder provided in the compact, which is a shame. Looking at the packaging first off, I assumed there'd be a lot of product inside it, but upon opening it, I realised otherwise.

I don't use the free puff it comes with because it's cheaply made and it pretty much useless at applying the product flawlessly. I'd recommend you chuck it out and use either your own puff/sponge or brush. I personally use a kabuki brush and I find that this works best for me. I found that with the brush I could get a flawless complexion (yes, honestly) because it applied slightly less onto my skin so didn't look cakey as opposed to me just blotting it on with a puff. The powder seemed to blend itself with very little effort required on my part. I think this powder has the potential to go cakey, but only if you slather it on.

I really liked the texture of this powder because it is very finely ground, and the shade (Golden Sand) seemed almost identical to my olive skin tone. Whether I was just lucky I don't know, but this powder is quite lightweight so I'd imagine it'd suit all tan/medium/olive skin tones. Once on your face it wasn't visible that you had little particles on your face as it can be with some powders which aren't so good. To look in the mirror the powder looked really silky and slightly radiant, and my face felt like velvet. The shades available here in the UK are ridiculous - they only offer 5 shades! Golden Sand (the one I got) is the darkest one, so if you have a darker skintone than olive you will not be able to purchase this here in the UK. The lightest shade is Rose Nude.

I have combination skin - my T zone is oily yet my cheeks and chin are normal. So after applying my makeup I put some of the pressed powder on my T zone to mattify it and reduce shine. It kept most of the shine at bay for a good few hours which I was very pleased with. I used this in very humid conditions so I wasn't expecting 24 hour reduced shine. I had to touch up a slight bit half way during the day, but even then, I didn't really need much. Despite the powder giving a flawless matte appearance and long lasting result, I actually didn't feel much like I was wearing makeup. I dislike the heavy feeling you get when you've slapped on some makeup, but with this on top of my tinted moisturiser I felt almost natural.

I paid 16.50 for 4 dream matte powders...I had to buy 3 backups because I liked it so much! I would imagine they will last a LONG time because I only need a minimal amount to achieve the flawless effect. I'm not sure if this will cause me any breakouts in the long run, but I'll be sure to update if it does. I hate the fact that this powder contains Parabens, but it can't be helped - 90% of cosmetics have them and I am too lazy to fret about what my makeup ingredients are. At the moment I prefer a slightly dewy tinted moisturiser look, so I don't like looking matte. However, when I feel like using pressed powder then without a doubt I'd be using this one because not only relatively cheap, but it does the job so well. So if you're a firm believer in powdering your face to set your makeup, or to blot during the day to get rid of excess oil, this could well be an essential buy!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2008 5:08:00 PM More reviews by JohnnyTruelove

I bought this on a whim and I really love it. I bought Fair 4-5 (Cream) and Medium 0-1 (Sand). I use Medium for Spring/Summer and Fair for Fall/Winter. I've tried it all, believe me. MAC, UD, Clinique, Lancome, Shiseido, etc. Believe it or not, Maybelline's had kept me matte the longest. It lasted through the humidity in San Diego and the dryness of the high desert. It blends beautifully and is very finely milled. My only gripe is that the packaging is very annoying, and the powder is not brush friendly (it kinda gets all over the place). For $7.99, this is a great buy!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2008 12:33:00 PM More reviews by MMedina112

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ok the only reason i gave this a 4 was because of the horrible packaging, if it would have had a normal packaging like any other brand then it would have been a five, I honestly am surprised with this powder because its a drugstore brand (in no way am i putting drugstore brands down) but it is the only DS brand that i have ever used, I bought it because of the coloring, which is pretty perfect for my skin and also for the price which is damn good too!!! ;-) i love its matteness, i use it over my GA face fabric, I apply that with MAC 109 brush and then I use MAC's 182 brush to apply the powder and it works great, and it looks really good too! The color match is perfect to me!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2008 6:35:00 PM More reviews by desertwaya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

i liked the packaging, but i can't wear this it makes my face itch (like MAC MSFN does). Its weird because my face isn't really sensitive.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2008 9:57:00 PM More reviews by baileybabe7486

I have this in cream and sand, my winter and summer colors. The texture is gorgeous, creamy, refined, satin finish. It's not chalky at all, it's sheer and buildable, makes my skin look like cashmere. The puff it comes with is of course worthless, I much prefer to use it with a brush, but I like the mirror in the bottom of the compact. LOVE.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/27/2008 1:52:00 AM More reviews by dreamqueen

I bought this in light.I bought this after reading the reviews here & the reviews are true!!! Other powders ...well look like powders when applied but maybelline dream matte pressed powder goes on invisble & does not cake! It is finely milled. For the price it is worth it!!! You can reapply without it caking or building up like other powders. I should probably get a darker shade cause it's white in pictures.

EDIT: The reviews here convinced me but as i tested it, makes me oily fast. Substandard. Would not recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2008 1:08:00 PM More reviews by Teralynn

I would never have expected a pressed powder to be so finely milled and silky. The lightest color is a perfect match for my ultra-fair skin, which is rare. This powder gives an ultra matte, pretty finish. I actually stopped wearing foundation for awhile after finding this product and used only this and concealer and loved the result so much I gave up liquid foundations all together. Unfortunately, while this does provide great coverage for a powder, I have too many post-acne red marks to cover up and you can plainly see my concealer if I wear only this powder over it (I blend, I do !). What I loved most about this product however was that unlike every other foundation and powder I have tried it does NOT sink into the giant pores around my nose and apples of my cheeks and make them stand out even more. My pores are completely invisible with this product on, so I now use it as a sort of primer. I pat it on my nose and cheeks before applying my purestay powder foundation and viola! no more pores! This had also never caused my skin to break out. I will repurchase this product as long as they make it.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/25/2008 9:29:00 PM More reviews by badazzbarbi

I dont really like this, i bought it today for the first time and omg it goes on soooooooooooo cakey, i will have to apply it again tomorrow and see again but for right now this stuff sucks, i like the dream matte mouse better

UPDATE: This stuff freakin sucks!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2008 3:31:00 PM More reviews by adrenirushxaudri

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was skeptical, but I read the good reviews here, and as usual, I got curious and wanted to try this out JUST so I could offer a good review (or bad...depending on how it truly was.) I will warn you, for fairer-skin, these colors run a bit dark...it's usually not too bad, but if you've very fair skin, watch your choice.

Okay, I must agree with the majority, the packaging needs work...back-to-the-drawing-board type work. It's not attractive by any means, it's bulky, and flimsy. I do like the mirror attachment, but I wish it would maybe swing out & then turn up so I don't have to make a mess when I'm applying the powder & turning it over to see myself in the mirror. The puff that it comes with is, of course, useless. I threw it in a drawer that I keep all my crappy applicators in (for a rainy day, I suppose.) and I replaced it with 'Essential Tools' makeup puffs. I haven't used this with a brush yet, that might be better. It stays closed up in my makeup carry-along , but it's sometimes difficult to pop open in a moment's notice. Enough about the disappointing packaging...

The product itself is a dream. It goes on and blends smoothly...albeit, there doesn't appear to be a whole lot in the compact...but you can't tell with the bulky disc. It makes your skin feel airy and soft. It's not cakey or too powdery at all...very blendable. I can't rave enough. The coverage is great too! It's got a medium coverage at best, but that's all I'd expect from a powder. I just ask that Maybelline revise their packaging plan, re-release this with a good, useful powder puff (why not start a trend?) And I'd be willing to pay more than $7 easy for this powder. It's wonderful.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2008 7:05:00 AM More reviews by Gimferrer

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

UPDATE: I have bought since Chanel Pressed Powder Universelle #Peche 50 and I must say that the colours of Maybelline are much much better and more forgiving as for the quality Chanel is good BUT maybelline is just better, when I use it the Powder doesn't fly everywhere like Chanel... I wish they change the Package though. is the only Powder I hit pan twice !

..................................................................

Or I buy the most expensive High End or the cheapest... There is nothing that feels better than buying a cheap MU that works and feels lovely on the skin

I bought shade 02 (Ivory Rose) is nice Neutral undertone with a hint of Pink indertone , the next one was a bit too yellow /orangy mask on me.The reason I bought this is b/c I wanted a Pressed Powder that would matify the shine I have left on my face after applying a Sunscreen. So I only use it for that not for full coverage. I love it ! although like most reviewers the package is truly a nightmare, the sponge is rubbish but I use a MAC #187 brush to apply that I only need to use it once a day and stays put all day long.
    ----------------------------------
    Skin Tone: MAC NC25NW25N6. (Fair Olive Neutral)
    Skin Type; Baumann DRPW