August 23, 2014 | 1885 users online

Pressed Powders - Maybelline - Dream Matte Pressed Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2008 10:17:00 AM More reviews by reggie717

After randomly breaking out all over my left cheek early February, I have been trying to find a pressed powder with good coverage...but without it looking caked on. I tend to break out from liquid foundations, and most other powders were too sheer. Surprisingly, after testing a bunch of expensive brands (assuming they're most promising), I tried my roommates Dream Matte Powder--purchased at CVS. I loved it! I was pretty stuck on Aveda's dual powder foundation, but this felt very light and it covered my post-acne redness. I do have to apply it more often than Aveda's, but definitely worth it.

I find the packaging intriguing, but it does make it a hassle to use the compact mirror. Still a great buy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2008 11:41:00 PM More reviews by YellowroseofTexas

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been using this as a foundation the majority of the summer. I live in HOT as HELL Texas and need something to get me through the day w/out looking like an oil slick. Most foundations tend to give me the dewy look lots of you like but it's not good for me.
The powder is pigmented and leaves a nice unpowdery look that blends into my skin.I use my BE kubuki brush to apply. It's not sheer but gives me the coverage I need w/out looking heavy or made up. It also keep the oil slick away for a couple of hours. I still have to blot mid-day w/MAC blot. It also doesn't fade way. I use concealer on my problem spots and Dream Matte Powder and I"m good to go.
I'm a DDD (NW45) and I wear Hazlenut. It's a perfect match. Really cheap (about $6- at Walmart) and a good find. continued >>

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2008 10:57:00 PM More reviews by Missy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Okay, I usually don't comment on cosmetic packaging, but I have to say something about this. The design of this compact is downright STUPID. It took me a good 2 minutes to figure out how to open the dang thing. The bottom compartment swings open to the side to reveal a puff, so you can awkwardly teeter it in your hand while applying powder. It's just dumb. Why redesign the simple compact when everyone in the world already knows how to use one?

Okay, aside from the obvious design FLAW, the powder is just okay. It's a bit on the heavy side and it oxidizes pretty badly. I actually washed it off after only an hour because it had oxidized to a shocking bubble gum pink. This is going back to Rite-Aid tomorrow!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2008 3:40:00 PM More reviews by starladear

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this product on New Year's Eve when I was caught in NYC without my pressed powder for the evening--I made a mad dash into k-mart, and this is what I came up with. I didn't expect much, but was pleasantly surprised--I did not dump this as soon as I got home in favor of my usual favorites. In fact, I am not averse to carrying this around with me as an every-day; it is cheap, so I feel like it saves my Benefit and MAC powders. This powder is a tiny bit heavy, but I don't mind that--it gives good coverage, if not absolutely undetectable. The fairest shade is fair enough for my pale skin, which is not always the case with pressed powders. Decent oil control, which is important to me. The packaging is a bit gimmick-y, however. I didn't mind it at first, but a few months down the line, the twist-and-slide motion you need to use in order to access the puff and mirror began to destroy the puff. If you are responsible enough to buy a new puff when you should, this won't affect you, but I am lazy. All in all, I am impressed with this ds pressed powder and would recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2008 7:25:00 AM More reviews by vanessa713

I have very little experiance with pressed powders (actually, I have none at all) so I really didn't know what to expect with this. I was looking for something to absorb the excess oil on my T zone throughout the day, and I think I've found a HG powder here!

IMO, the packaging of this product really couldn't be improved on, and is much more sophisticated than most other compacts I have seen. Most of the reviews here complain about the packaging but I think it's perfect for what it is - the swing out mirror is a god send. I remember my mums L'oreal pressed powder; she had to turn the compact upside down to look in the mirror because the mirror was on the back of it...crazy! Only bad thing about the packaging is that it decieves you as to how much product is actually in it. There is not a lot of powder provided in the compact, which is a shame. Looking at the packaging first off, I assumed there'd be a lot of product inside it, but upon opening it, I realised otherwise.

I don't use the free puff it comes with because it's cheaply made and it pretty much useless at applying the product flawlessly. I'd recommend you chuck it out and use either your own puff/sponge or brush. I personally use a kabuki brush and I find that this works best for me. I found that with the brush I could get a flawless complexion (yes, honestly) because it applied slightly less onto my skin so didn't look cakey as opposed to me just blotting it on with a puff. The powder seemed to blend itself with very little effort required on my part. I think this powder has the potential to go cakey, but only if you slather it on.

I really liked the texture of this powder because it is very finely ground, and the shade (Golden Sand) seemed almost identical to my olive skin tone. Whether I was just lucky I don't know, but this powder is quite lightweight so I'd imagine it'd suit all tan/medium/olive skin tones. Once on your face it wasn't visible that you had little particles on your face as it can be with some powders which aren't so good. To look in the mirror the powder looked really silky and slightly radiant, and my face felt like velvet. The shades available here in the UK are ridiculous - they only offer 5 shades! Golden Sand (the one I got) is the darkest one, so if you have a darker skintone than olive you will not be able to purchase this here in the UK. The lightest shade is Rose Nude.

I have combination skin - my T zone is oily yet my cheeks and chin are normal. So after applying my makeup I put some of the pressed powder on my T zone to mattify it and reduce shine. It kept most of the shine at bay for a good few hours which I was very pleased with. I used this in very humid conditions so I wasn't expecting 24 hour reduced shine. I had to touch up a slight bit half way during the day, but even then, I didn't really need much. Despite the powder giving a flawless matte appearance and long lasting result, I actually didn't feel much like I was wearing makeup. I dislike the heavy feeling you get when you've slapped on some makeup, but with this on top of my tinted moisturiser I felt almost natural.

I paid 16.50 for 4 dream matte powders...I had to buy 3 backups because I liked it so much! I would imagine they will last a LONG time because I only need a minimal amount to achieve the flawless effect. I'm not sure if this will cause me any breakouts in the long run, but I'll be sure to update if it does. I hate the fact that this powder contains Parabens, but it can't be helped - 90% of cosmetics have them and I am too lazy to fret about what my makeup ingredients are. At the moment I prefer a slightly dewy tinted moisturiser look, so I don't like looking matte. However, when I feel like using pressed powder then without a doubt I'd be using this one because not only relatively cheap, but it does the job so well. So if you're a firm believer in powdering your face to set your makeup, or to blot during the day to get rid of excess oil, this could well be an essential buy!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2008 5:08:00 PM More reviews by JohnnyTruelove

I bought this on a whim and I really love it. I bought Fair 4-5 (Cream) and Medium 0-1 (Sand). I use Medium for Spring/Summer and Fair for Fall/Winter. I've tried it all, believe me. MAC, UD, Clinique, Lancome, Shiseido, etc. Believe it or not, Maybelline's had kept me matte the longest. It lasted through the humidity in San Diego and the dryness of the high desert. It blends beautifully and is very finely milled. My only gripe is that the packaging is very annoying, and the powder is not brush friendly (it kinda gets all over the place). For $7.99, this is a great buy!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2008 12:33:00 PM More reviews by MMedina112

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ok the only reason i gave this a 4 was because of the horrible packaging, if it would have had a normal packaging like any other brand then it would have been a five, I honestly am surprised with this powder because its a drugstore brand (in no way am i putting drugstore brands down) but it is the only DS brand that i have ever used, I bought it because of the coloring, which is pretty perfect for my skin and also for the price which is damn good too!!! ;-) i love its matteness, i use it over my GA face fabric, I apply that with MAC 109 brush and then I use MAC's 182 brush to apply the powder and it works great, and it looks really good too! The color match is perfect to me!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2008 6:35:00 PM More reviews by desertwaya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

i liked the packaging, but i can't wear this it makes my face itch (like MAC MSFN does). Its weird because my face isn't really sensitive.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2008 9:57:00 PM More reviews by baileybabe7486

I have this in cream and sand, my winter and summer colors. The texture is gorgeous, creamy, refined, satin finish. It's not chalky at all, it's sheer and buildable, makes my skin look like cashmere. The puff it comes with is of course worthless, I much prefer to use it with a brush, but I like the mirror in the bottom of the compact. LOVE.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/27/2008 1:52:00 AM More reviews by dreamqueen

I bought this in light.I bought this after reading the reviews here & the reviews are true!!! Other powders ...well look like powders when applied but maybelline dream matte pressed powder goes on invisble & does not cake! It is finely milled. For the price it is worth it!!! You can reapply without it caking or building up like other powders. I should probably get a darker shade cause it's white in pictures.

EDIT: The reviews here convinced me but as i tested it, makes me oily fast. Substandard. Would not recommend.