October 25, 2014 | 1226 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2008 12:46:00 AM More reviews by MacPops

I'm not really sure what the hype surrounding this product is all about. It makes my skin feel too tight after using it. It does a fair to mediocre job of cleansing away my makeup, and it's expensive for what it is. Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser does just as good a job. Both it and the Philosophy require a wash cloth to finish the job, so I prefer the cheaper product. When used with a wash cloth, the Neutrogena actually does a much more thorough job or cleansing. The Neutrogena product also leaves my combo skin too tight and the pump style bottle is aggravating. My search for the perfect cleanser continues. Glad I purchased a small bottle of this stuff.

I've edited my review to say that this product is pretty good. I'm getting used to it and find that it doesn't dry my face as bad as the Neutrogena cleanser does. I will be trying the Loccitane sensitive skin cleanser next so I'm still on my quest. I'm so glad I purchased the little bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2008 6:50:00 PM More reviews by honeymoonxoxo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have used this cleanser for quite a while, and I always go back to it. I have skin that is always either very oily or very dry, and I have cystic acne but I treat it with tazorac, so I am either acne prone or sensitive, depending on how it feels like acting that day. Also, I am a makeup artist and I do wear quite a bit of foundation/eye makeup/etc.

I have not been overly impressed with the majority of philosophy's products, but this cleanser really does it for me. Regardless of my schizophrenic skin, I never break out from it, or feel oily or dry. It simply does what it is supposed to, which in my opinion, is remove all of my makeup (including the 17 layers of mascara I wear daily) quickly and leave my skin feeling clean. Nothing takes my mascara off a so quickly, and most eye makeup removers leave the skin around my eyes feeling weird, but ths one doesn't. Also, I wear contacts and this does not irritate them. I am occasionally lazy about washing my face,especially if I know it will take 17 steps to get my makeup off before I go to bed, but I know with purity I just have to put it on, rinse, apply my serums and moisturizer and go to bed. It makes it a lot easier for me to be good about taking it all off.

Also, it makes a great brush shampoo and the packaging is great. I wish I could buy the giant pump bottles they have at sephora (I'm sure they sell them somewhere if I looked hard enough), because I would easily buy it in this large of a size. That is saying a lot for me as I am not a very loyal product person, I like to try everything.

Price-wise, I feel like it is decent. I understand that it cost a lot more than a drugstore cleanser, but it does a better job and lasts a very long time. I have tried much more expensive cleansers than this and been disappointed.

Sidenote, I do not notice a strange scent to it at all.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2008 5:24:00 PM More reviews by Krylyn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Okay. I like Philosophy's philosophy of beauty. I also like many of their products that I've tried (the 3-in-1's, Microdelivery system, lip gloss, Supernatural foundation). This, however, will always be a staple for me.

This doesn't remove *everything*, but that's okay. I use long-wearing eye makeup and mascara, and would never place that type of expectation unless I followed the demonstration they show on QVC (applying it dry, and scrub!scrub!scrub!), if one can believe it. This does, however, remove most of what I'm wearing, and leaves my skin feeling somewhat moisturized, not stripped. The smell is... unique, to put it nicely, but it's not terrible and you do get used to it.

I buy the 32 oz size from QVC, they also offer it at Nordstrom's Anniversary sale for $48. Right now, it's still slightly cheaper to buy it from QVC than to wait until the Anniversary sale. 32 oz lasts over a year for me, with daily usage by both myself and occasionally, my husband.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/8/2008 4:33:00 PM More reviews by Java

I have to admit that the one-step cleanser concept is so tempting! However, this cleanser irritates my face leaving it red after a couple of weeks' use. Had to stop. Also suspect it broke me out too, those large painful ones. I don't mind the smell of pepper in Purity, but it might be the pepper extract that is upsetting my skin.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2008 11:47:00 PM More reviews by Cinnabuns

I received a 2 oz. deluxe sample of this in a gifset. So far I haven't had any adverse effects. It actually left my skin feeling more hydrated than usual. The bottle says this is a fragrance free formula, but right below that the bottle says, "contains a proprietary blend of extracts for a unique, fresh scent. Hmm...apparently the latter statement is true since it definitely has a unique scent. I prefer a foaming cleanser so when warmer weather comes I will try the foaming version. If I don't have any negative effects, I will purchase again for the winter months since this is a cream cleanser.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2008 12:33:00 AM More reviews by Hooptie72

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using Purpose cleanser for years. I bought this because I tried a sample and thought I would really like it. For several weeks, I started having little whiteheads pop up on my nose. I used it on and off and went back to using it daily about two months ago. I haven't had the problem again. After I finish the bottle, I will probably go back to Purpose. I miss having a pump on the bottle, plus I don't like the smell of Purity. I also find that my skin feels a little dry after using the Purity, not so with Purpose. Plus, the Purpose is alot cheaper.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/3/2008 1:51:00 AM More reviews by kelly8112

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is not a bad product for the price. I was in a bit of a pinch and I needed a face wash that would work with my clarasonic. I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised to find that this product worked quite well, even removing stubborn mascara. I think it's a pretty good value for the price.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/1/2008 10:28:00 AM More reviews by dorkynerd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This was an alright cleanser...as long as you weren't trying to get mascara off. I have heard many people say they use this for removing mascara and I just can't get it to work for me. I always had to go back and use something else on my eyes.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/30/2008 2:20:00 PM More reviews by missfitch

Pros -

- Pretty easy to use, quick and effective
- Works, my skin has become alot clearer
- the packaging is adorable
- really does minimize pores

Cons -

- Strong chemicaly smell
- drys out my skin and leaves it feeling tight
- to lather on effectively alot is used
- runs out quickly

overall very appealing packaging and works well. however it has its draw backs.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2008 1:12:00 PM More reviews by juliajane79

I just started using this product with my Clarisonic. So far I love it. The combination of the two does wonders for my skin. I am prone to breakouts and haven't had one in a week! This review might be premature but so far I love it. There is also something about the smell, I really like it!