Philosophy Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

3.7

Water, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Coco-Glucoside, Coconut Alcohol, Peg-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Geranium Maculatum Oil, Guaiac (Guaiacum Officinale) Extract, Cymbopogon Martini Oil, Rosa Damascena Extract, Amyris Balsamifera Bark Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Cinnamomum Cassia Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Piper Nigrum (Pepper) Seed Extract, Polysorbate 20, Glycerin, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Yellow 5 (Ci 19140).

on 1/28/2009 4:35:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I used a sample of this cleanser after testing out all kinds of makeup on the back of my hand at Sephora and was so impressed with the results that I bought the trial size to try on my face. Well, I've repurchased several times with the bottles getting bigger and bigger each time! It is very gentle yet effective and rinses off easily, leaving my face clean but not stripped. I use it in the morning before Philosophy's Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash (can't get that stuff too close to the eye area) and after removing my makeup with MAC Cleanse Off Oil at night but this cleanser is wonderful on it's own as I've discovered if I'm lazy, rushed or traveling.

on 1/25/2009 4:11:00 PM

I really like this cleanser. It's not over drying and really removes all traces of makeup and dirt.

on 1/24/2009 12:14:00 PM

I LOVE this. My HG, i'm never using anything else. It is wonderful for my acne prone,sensitive skin. I use the foaming version at night.

love love love.

on 1/24/2009 1:57:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I received a sample of this and only used it once, so I can't speak on the long term results....however, my skin felt tight and dry immediately after using this. I don't like it. I don't like the smell and I can't believe it made my fairly oily skin feel so dry. I'm back to my Chanel cleanser. It's more expensive but at least it smells nice and makes my skin feel good.

on 1/22/2009 11:45:00 AM

When I first got this, I thought it was amazing stuff. It made my skin feel good and I like the lemony scent. However, it contains Sodium Trideceth Sulfate. After a while it gave my skin the texture of an orange peel and I think it is because of that chemical. I also stopped using their face lotions. So lately I've been washing my face with just water and moisturizing. I'm trying to get my skin back to its normal state. I believe the foaming cleanser does not contain this chemical so I would be tempted to try that instead.

on 1/21/2009 11:19:00 AM

Philosophy Purity is the best facial cleanser I have used. There are others that I also use that I like almost as well but this is my favorite because...It removes ALL makeup including waterproof mascara, foundation, shadow and eyeliner. It's so easy and simple to use and that is why it's my go-to cleanser for a busy schedule. When I use a toner after cleansing with it, there is no residue on the cotton ball. Unlike some of the other reviewers I have not had a problem with it drying my skin. I do use a good moisturizer afterwards, though...Hope in a Bottle for daytime and various others for night, including Murad, Clinique and Perricone M.D. products. For me, it works great!

Pros: Nice packaging
Cons: Expensive, surprisingly abrasive

The simple philosophy printed on the bottle is a bit misleading. Skin care is anything but simple these days. I have oily skin, but in the winter it tends to get really dry and flaky. Add to that sensitivity and acne-prone. This cleanser was nothing special, it dried my skin out and stung when I used it. Will be returning it to sephora.

This stuff works fine and has nice subtle scent. It does a good job of removing make-up and giving you a deep clean without leaving your skin parched and tight afterwards. It's kind of like a better-smelling cetaphil.

My only complaint is that it's not really a 'pure' product in any way. Philosophy uses tons of synthetic chemicals in their stuff (like most companies do). This stuff has parabens in it, and I've been trying to avoid products with those lately.

I'm still on the lookout for my HG facewash.

on 1/16/2009 12:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I actually tried this a couple of days ago and now my forehead has lots of pimples! I broke out after using this. The first time it was okay but then the second time and 3rd, 4th time I noticed it was not getting better and was actually getting worst. I won't be using this again. Back to my Clean and Clear Morning burst.

on 1/15/2009 8:55:00 PM

My skin does really well with the oil cleansing method, but I noticed that this process wasn't removing ALL of my makeup. My co-worker (who has dry skin) recommended this product, raving about how it cleanses completely without overdrying. It definitely removed all the dirt and makeup, but it also dried me out....not enough to where I flaked (which is the usual reaction), but enough so that my skin broke out because of the moisture loss. I did like the squeeze bottle and that it was a practical size for traveling, and at $10 for 3-some odd ounces, it was a good deal (which was why I bought it in the first place).