July 31, 2014 | 1016 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 3 of 5 on 11/21/2008 10:41:00 PM More reviews by shellyy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

There is definately a learning curve for this product. I've finally figured out that using more than a dime-sized dallop results in a mess and unclean skin result. Best to put a dallop in your palm, wet the fingers of your other hand, and use them to dilute the stuff a little before messaging into your dry face. Keep messaging for 60 seconds, add more water if needed to keep it easily moving around on your skin. It will dissolve eye makeup, though not the waterproof type, if you are patient. Also, I've noticed MAJOR differences it product performance when used in a hard-water environment. Doesn't work with hard water at ALL! Plan on adding a separate exfoliator, because this won't do that at all. Maybe that's the reason some of the other reviewers ended up with increased acne/clogged pores after using this for a few weeks?

rated 4 of 5 on 11/19/2008 5:05:00 PM More reviews by blushinglara

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

nice fresh smell - works well!! but not great with mascara... my only complaint!!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/18/2008 4:31:00 PM More reviews by naazyousaf

i saw a review for this on youtube along with a clarisonic. i immediately went and purchased the cleanser and the clarisonic. together it works very well in removing my makeup. i wear A LOT of makeup and it makes my skin look fresh and hydrated afterwards. my pores look clean and the appearance of blackheads are reduced.
there's a couple of things i don't like - (1) i don't like that the bottle doesn't have a pump to dispense the cleanser (i have a large size bottle) and (2) i don't like that it doesn't remove my eyemakeup and (3) it's expensive!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2008 12:48:00 PM More reviews by stephanierose21

love this cleanser!!! i've been using it for years through all seasons. although it is more expensive than most drugstore brand cleansers, a little goes a long way so a bottle lasts for quite some time. this cleanser reminds me a little of cetaphil because it is gentle and mild but really cleans without stripping.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2008 8:29:00 PM More reviews by cherylrodes

After using tons and tons of face cleansers, toners and such... this one takes the cake. Offering a great base, not too taut but perfect, for the next step in your regimen.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2008 7:59:00 PM More reviews by Mojie

I've found Philosophy products to be hit or miss with most of the ones I've tried being misses (aside from the shower gels, which are generally fairly nice, even if I'm not crazy about the scents most times). But I got a small bottle of this as a deluxe sample from Sephora and figured I may as well try it since it was free.

Since I've switched from washing my face by hand (except when I'm removing my makeup) to using my Clarisonic, I gave it a whirl with Purity, not expecting much. Up until now I've been using Fresh's Soy Face Cleanser (which I adore; it's incredibly gentle and removes makeup with no effort at all) and been getting fairly good results, but I was won over to using Purity instead and saving the Soy Face Cleanser for makeup removal and those times when I wash my face by hand (so as not to over-exfoliate).

Purity's a bit different than other cleansers I've tried. You apply it to dry or damp skin (I've been applying a nickle-sized amount to my face dry, then wetting my Clarisonic head) rather than a wet face like most cleansers. It doesn't foam and doesn't really feel like it's cleaning your face. It's almost like wiping a light lotion that doesn't sink in all over your face.

I saw a visible improvement in my skin after the very first use with my Clarisonic. Whether that's because of the thinner texture of Purity compared to the Soy Face Cleanser (which is a thicker, gel-like texture) or because Purity lends itself better ingredient-wise to use with the Clarisonic, I can't say, but my pores are smaller and there's no excess oiliness in my t-zone. My skin feels very soft and the couple of blemishes that were plaguing me have disappeared. I do find that my face (I have sensitive skin) is fairly red immediately after using Purity but the redness goes away quickly and there's no pain, itching or burning along with it, so it's not a big deal.

Purity rinses off cleanly, leaves no residue and leaves my face clean but not stripped. I can't say how well this works at removing makeup or whether I'd like it for use without the Clarisonic because I always use my Soy Face Cleanser to remove my makeup (nothing else is as gentle on my skin and eyes or as quick) and haven't washed my face by hand since I started using Purity.

Philosophy claims that this has a "unique, fresh scent" and I'd say in the bottle it smells okay. Non-descript and vaguely herbal. Nothing special, but not too bad. But on my face, I swear it smells like nothing but pure rubbing alcohol. It's bizarre since the only difference is that it's on my skin (and closer to my nose), but every time I put this on my face, I get that wallop of alcohol-scent. I prefer Fresh's cucumber scent any day (even though I don't like the scent of cucumber much, it's better than rubbing alcohol). Really, the scent is my only complaint about this cleanser. The price may seem high to some people, but compared to what I'm used to paying for Fresh, it's very reasonable (I can get a 24 oz bottle of Purity for a couple dollars more than a 5.1 oz tube of Soy Face Cleanser).

PROS: (1) easy to use; (2) leaves my skin clean but not stripped; (3) pores look smaller and oiliness has disappeared; (4) works beautifully with the Clarisonic; (5) more budget-friendly than Fresh Soy Face Cleanser.

CONS: (1) alcohol scent on my skin for some bizarre reason; (2) doesn't foam (which doesn't bother me, but may some people--the same is true of Fresh Soy Face Cleanser, incidentally); (3) can't be used around the eyes.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/16/2008 2:39:00 PM More reviews by megan77

I (along with many other reviewers I noticed) really wanted to love this product. I am sad to say it is just another expensive cleanser that not only smelled awful but stung my eyes as well. FRESH soy face cleanser is the only face wash I will ever use.......expensive but worth every penny.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2008 2:56:00 AM More reviews by erinallison

This product is amazing!! I've used really expensive skincare (Jan Marini) and I still had acne. I used this product once and the next morning it was gone. I haven't had acne since.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2008 11:59:00 PM More reviews by ishbeth

I love this product! It's the best cleanser I've ever used. It leaves your face clean and moisterized. I will never be without it!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2008 11:03:00 AM More reviews by glitterboo

I have pretty bad rosacea and this cleanser is amazing. It gets all my eyemakeup as well as any other makeup I have on. It isn't drying and my skin actually feels a little moisturized after using it.

It doesn't irritate my rosacea and even has helped clear it up.

The scent isn't at all like grapefruit as a previous reviewer mentioned. I can't really describe how it smells. It doesn't smell good but it also doesn't smell bad. It's just kind of light and earthy.