August 20, 2014 | 1975 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #187 Duo Fiber Face Brush (Stippling, Skunk Brush)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2005 3:34:00 AM More reviews by nutsaboutmakeup

Short story: I like this brush so much i wanted to buy 2 but it sheds & cos of Mac lousy cs, i wont be buying mac anymore...

I really, really liked how this brush worked with my blushes, powders, bronzers & foundations! It kinda buffs ( i always wonder what that means but now i know) the product into your skin until the product becomes you skin...if you get what i am saying...You like dab the brush into the product & then swirl it in circular motions over your face/cheeks. So it not only works but its soft too! Unfortunately, mind shed like hell! At first i thought its okay for new brushes to shed...washed a couple more times, used a few more weeks & everytime i twirl the damn brush on a particular spot i have to pick up hairs that stick to that spot.

so i went to the local mac store, they wouldnt exchange cos i had bought the brush at a dutyfree airport counter & i din have a local receipt to prove i bought it. so i emailed mac. while waiting for mac to reply (2 months) i went to another mac counter & they still refused to exchange it cos ma said i shouldnt be using the Mac brush cleanser to cleanse the brush & i should be using any cheap shampoo to wash the brush twice a week & while doing that i should make sure that the water & shampoo soaks right into the ferrule to ensure all hair drops out & the sa said its common for brushes to shed!

then mac replies & sent me a reply paid "label" for such a huge company they din even bother to sent me a reply paid envelope but i just wanted an exchanged. so i finally received my new brush & i emailed to let them know i had it & their rep emailed back that i "needed to know the proper way of washing brushes & to use the correct products to wash the brushes & that i should approach local MAs if i didnt know how to take care of brushes. then she went on to say she hadnt had a problem with her mac brushes for 6 years." How insulting...

Plus I found out I wasnt the only one who had a #187 which sheds. so if anyone is interested, apparently Flirt cosmetics sell an identical brush for USD$6! continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2005 1:18:00 AM More reviews by perpetuallycute

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

From maccosmetics.com:
A large full circular brush used for lightweight application and blending of face powder or pigments. Use to create soft layers or add textures. Made from a soft blend of goat and synthetic fibres.

I love this brush. A few months ago, I was looking into purchasing a bronzer and the MA recommended this brush to me. Although I did not leave the store with bronzer, I definately left with this brush. I love to use it when I'm applying anything shimmery (mineralize skinfinishes, bronzers). It was simply made for distributing shimmer perfectly!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2005 2:26:00 PM More reviews by earthmonkey

Apart from seeming melodramatic, this brush is the softest thing ever to come in contact with my face. The Makeup Artist at the counter said that the white bristles on top are synthetic (the soft ones), and the ones on bottom are goat hairs. I'd rather stay away from animal products, but I was assured that "they aren't hurt," not that she would know. At $40 it's rather pricey, but as long as you shampoo it regularly, it's the last brush like this you'll have to buy. My face certainly thanked me for it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2005 5:58:00 PM More reviews by jennyb

This is a useful brush to have, but it's not my favourite for blush application. The circular head is flat and layered, making the tips much less dense than the classic blush brush. Because it's flat, it works better for placing product directly rather than wiping or circling. I originally bought it for applying densely pigmented blushes, but found the application somewhat blotchy and uneven compared to a large soft blush brush. It works much better for tapping on shimmer or highlighting powder, when you want a fairly precise but not over-dense application, and you don't want to buff the product into disco glimmer. The flat head is perfect for this, and by tapping on lightly rather than rubbing I get just the hint of shimmer I'm after. This counts as a luxury rather than an essential for me, but nevertheless it's nice to have and certainly gets used.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2005 9:24:00 PM More reviews by Libellule1985

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

My fave brush!! You can use it for foundation, powder, blush, highlighter, bronzer... My blush look so smooth and natural when I use it!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2005 7:26:00 PM More reviews by LunaBella

I first bought this brush to apply blush but I found it better for applying powder. It feels delicious on my skin. Maybe I will try again later with blush but I feel I got my money's worth because it is versatile.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2005 12:05:00 AM More reviews by BeneBaby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Am I on Crack??? I hated this brush! I bought it to go with the scarily pigmented NARS Exhibit A blush. I'm a PPP and needed some serious diffusing of color. I asked the MAC MA what to use and he pointed to this "skunk" brush. The very next day I decided to give the blush and the brush a whirl.....bad idea. I was super red and super blotchy. Not cute at all. This went back to the MAC store and rightfully do. Skunk brush is right...it stinks! I'll stick to my $16 fan brush.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/9/2005 6:13:00 PM More reviews by Kate_NS

Lovely brush, which does just as everyone has promised: picks up reasonable but light amount of product so that fine-milled, high-pigment blushes are user-friendly, or so that harder milled or lesser-pigmented blushes can be gradually built up. Nice weight, not the most expensive of my brushes (although a tad costly), but have found that after washing (even with MAC Brush Cleanser) the colour from the black bristles 'migrates' into the snow-white tips leaving them grey looking (esthetics is EVERYTHING to me!) Not a good bet for NARS high-shimmer blushes such as Orgasm and Deep Throat, as the delicate tips tend to pick up more shimmer than colour, and they tend to just move the shimmer over the surface of the blush. great for the more satin finish, brights tho.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2005 1:41:00 AM More reviews by UWMsGirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

OMG what a great brush, I finally got it after all the raves on it, plus I am in LOVE with NARS blushes which are very pigmented and thought this brush would be a great investment for me and it IS! I love this brush for applying my NARS blushes, applies it on evenly and with great pigment! This brush retails for $40 USD and worth every cent!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2005 8:43:00 PM More reviews by lovermac

A very nice brush for putting on powder. I didn't like it for putting on my blush. I still prefer the 129 brush for that. My powder application is lovely though and doesn't go on so heavy or chalky like it did with the 150 brush. The price is quite high, but I would buy this brush again.