November 27, 2014 | 1537 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #187 Duo Fiber Face Brush (Stippling, Skunk Brush)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2005 5:29:00 AM More reviews by glamourgirl76

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow, this is by far one of my favorite brushes. I was hesitant to spend 42.00 (USD) on a brush, but I decided to give it a try. This is perfect to apply the heavily pigmented blushes in my collection. I have tried the CVS brand of the "skunk brush" and while it works, this MAC brush is far superior. IMO, you get what you pay for. Yes, it's expensive but it's worth it. It gives a flawless, even application when applying pigmented blushes. I use this to apply NARS Crazed, my Shu blushes and Cargo Panama. I would buy this again, if I happened to lose this brush, but I think it will last a long time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2005 11:52:00 AM More reviews by patty88

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Just recently bought this brush to go with 2 skinfinishes I bought (Stereo Rose & Porcelain Pink), and I must say that it is has lived up to all the raves I've been reading about. It gives the lightest touch to blushes and highlighters, picking up and depositing just the right amount. In fact, I originally bought it for the skinfinshes, but am now using for other blushes. The trick as my MA taught me, is to buff it in round circles on your cheek when using the skinfishes. Only drawback is the price, ouch! But I guess it's good investment.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2005 2:29:00 PM More reviews by PoisonedIvy

I finally bit the bullet and purchased a nice brush to apply my Aromaleigh mineral powder foundation. I'd been using a flocked sponge, and while it was delighfully quick, it was simply getting too heavy a layer of makeup on my face. My skin is clear, but flushes and gets blotchy easily, so I need a sheer to medium foundation. The sponge was definitely getting a medium-to-full coverage effect, which unfortunately creates havoc with my oily skin mid-day; it makes for a much nastier mess when it breaks down, as all foundations inevitably do when faced with the oil slick I call my forehead.So I headed to the MAC counter for a brush, specifically. The SA immediately recommended this little goodie, and it was so heavenly soft I had to go for it, despite the ouch price. (Usually I'm lame and spend $6 max on brushes.)Anyway, when I used it with my foundation, I fell in love. I applied two thin layers, and it distributes powder foundation like an airbrush, sheer and diffuse but buildable. It takes much more time than a flocked sponge, but so worth it. My foundation looks great, and lasts all day, FINALLY. (I do apply a translucent powder over it too, with a powder puff, not the brush, since I need as much of that as I can get!)Also tried it with blush. It is fantastic- it creates a soft hint of color blended just perfectly. Especially nice with a shimmery blush. I needed something just like that, since most blush applies too strongly on my pale skin. I'd actually be willing to try a NARS blush with this brush, I think it would sheer out the strong pigment enough.Anyway, a big splurge but absolutely worth it. The size is perfect for me, not too unweildly huge as many powder brushes are, small enough to double as blush brush, and sooooo soft! Highly recommended if you need a good multipurpose brush. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2005 5:36:00 PM More reviews by AgentLunacy

This is a great brush to apply the Mineralize Skinfinishes and other cheek products. It's so soft but still keeps it's shape. If I lost it I would buy it again.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2005 3:34:00 AM More reviews by nutsaboutmakeup

Short story: I like this brush so much i wanted to buy 2 but it sheds & cos of Mac lousy cs, i wont be buying mac anymore...

I really, really liked how this brush worked with my blushes, powders, bronzers & foundations! It kinda buffs ( i always wonder what that means but now i know) the product into your skin until the product becomes you skin...if you get what i am saying...You like dab the brush into the product & then swirl it in circular motions over your face/cheeks. So it not only works but its soft too! Unfortunately, mind shed like hell! At first i thought its okay for new brushes to shed...washed a couple more times, used a few more weeks & everytime i twirl the damn brush on a particular spot i have to pick up hairs that stick to that spot.

so i went to the local mac store, they wouldnt exchange cos i had bought the brush at a dutyfree airport counter & i din have a local receipt to prove i bought it. so i emailed mac. while waiting for mac to reply (2 months) i went to another mac counter & they still refused to exchange it cos ma said i shouldnt be using the Mac brush cleanser to cleanse the brush & i should be using any cheap shampoo to wash the brush twice a week & while doing that i should make sure that the water & shampoo soaks right into the ferrule to ensure all hair drops out & the sa said its common for brushes to shed!

then mac replies & sent me a reply paid "label" for such a huge company they din even bother to sent me a reply paid envelope but i just wanted an exchanged. so i finally received my new brush & i emailed to let them know i had it & their rep emailed back that i "needed to know the proper way of washing brushes & to use the correct products to wash the brushes & that i should approach local MAs if i didnt know how to take care of brushes. then she went on to say she hadnt had a problem with her mac brushes for 6 years." How insulting...

Plus I found out I wasnt the only one who had a #187 which sheds. so if anyone is interested, apparently Flirt cosmetics sell an identical brush for USD$6! continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2005 1:18:00 AM More reviews by perpetuallycute

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

From maccosmetics.com:
A large full circular brush used for lightweight application and blending of face powder or pigments. Use to create soft layers or add textures. Made from a soft blend of goat and synthetic fibres.

I love this brush. A few months ago, I was looking into purchasing a bronzer and the MA recommended this brush to me. Although I did not leave the store with bronzer, I definately left with this brush. I love to use it when I'm applying anything shimmery (mineralize skinfinishes, bronzers). It was simply made for distributing shimmer perfectly!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2005 2:26:00 PM More reviews by earthmonkey

Apart from seeming melodramatic, this brush is the softest thing ever to come in contact with my face. The Makeup Artist at the counter said that the white bristles on top are synthetic (the soft ones), and the ones on bottom are goat hairs. I'd rather stay away from animal products, but I was assured that "they aren't hurt," not that she would know. At $40 it's rather pricey, but as long as you shampoo it regularly, it's the last brush like this you'll have to buy. My face certainly thanked me for it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2005 5:58:00 PM More reviews by jennyb

This is a useful brush to have, but it's not my favourite for blush application. The circular head is flat and layered, making the tips much less dense than the classic blush brush. Because it's flat, it works better for placing product directly rather than wiping or circling. I originally bought it for applying densely pigmented blushes, but found the application somewhat blotchy and uneven compared to a large soft blush brush. It works much better for tapping on shimmer or highlighting powder, when you want a fairly precise but not over-dense application, and you don't want to buff the product into disco glimmer. The flat head is perfect for this, and by tapping on lightly rather than rubbing I get just the hint of shimmer I'm after. This counts as a luxury rather than an essential for me, but nevertheless it's nice to have and certainly gets used.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2005 9:24:00 PM More reviews by Libellule1985

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

My fave brush!! You can use it for foundation, powder, blush, highlighter, bronzer... My blush look so smooth and natural when I use it!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2005 7:26:00 PM More reviews by LunaBella

I first bought this brush to apply blush but I found it better for applying powder. It feels delicious on my skin. Maybe I will try again later with blush but I feel I got my money's worth because it is versatile.