BeneFit Cosmetics They're Real

3.4

2036 reviews

Water (Aqua), Paraffin, Polybutene, Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, C18-36 Acid Triglyceride, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Vp/Eicosene Copolymer, Acacia Senegal Gum, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Phenoxyethanol, Tetrasodium Edta, Butylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Laureth-12 Sulfate, Glycerin, Potassium Sorbate, Sericin, Calcium Chloride, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tilia Tomentosa Bud Extract, Citric Acid, Bht, Sorbic Acid. [+/-: Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499), Ultramarines (Ci 77007), Chromium Oxide Greens (Ci 77288), Chromium Hydroxide Green (Ci 77289), Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891)]. N° 05827/N

on 6/1/2013 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I absolutely LOVE this mascara. At first, when I saw a rave about this, I didn't understand why. But when I got a sample size from SEPHORA and tried it out, I was IN LOVE. It impressed me soooo much that I'm going out to get the full size. It made my lashes look super long and it actually curled my lashes. I put it on without curling them to test it out. It didn't give that much volume but it gave a lot of length! It was starting to turn clumpy but when I continued and was careful with it, it worked out perfectly!! It doesn't go on dry, it's actually kinda wet. For me, I don't care whether a mascara is wetnor dry as long as it works well! After the mascara dries, it doesn't feel thick and fake or sticky and gel like, it actually feels NATURAL like ur real lashes while they look fake! I would say a good dupe for this is maybelline the falsies!
This mascara also lasts super long!!!

on 6/1/2013 1:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

This mascara really does make your lashes look bigger, longer, and thicker, plus it held it's curl. I found it to be quite clumpy (but not overly clumpy where I have spider lashes) and you do need to be careful to slide off some excess. The brush is very handy. It is the generic silicone bristle brush (like Lashblast from CoverGirl) and has a little bit ball-ish end (kinda reminds me of L'Oreal's older version of the Telescopic brush). It really helps to cover every lash. The formula is alright; it doesn't hurt my eyes and it really does make my lashes stand out. However, I find that you can feel the mascara (if that makes sense): I found it to never dry properly and remained tacky for majority of the wearing time and that it felt heavier throughout the day/night. Luckily, it did not take out any of my lashes, but for a mascara that never dried properly, it is painstaking to take it off. I ended up using a whole makeup remover wipe just for mascara (and I did what I warned in the beginning: slide off the excess). As beautiful my lashes are with this mascara, it is too high maintenance... especially for it's price.
I got this (probably like most people writing this review) as a gift from Sephora. I am aware that it is $23.00 in Ulta, Sephora, and any Benefit counter. Right away, the one thing I can tell you that I do not like is the price. I am use to spending half of that on a drugstore mascara. To me, unless I'm getting it as an added bonus to a purchase, I do not use high end mascaras.
In my opinion, I do not find this mascara horrible, nor do I find it great. If I could be more precise with my lippies, I would have given this mascara a 2.3 out of 5. Would I purchase this on my own? No. I feel that I can get a decent mascara that does something similar (might not be as false-lashes-like... but lengthen and thicken) with a cheaper mascara.

on 6/1/2013 11:51:00 AM

It looks seriously AMAZING on me. Like, seriously. It fans them out, adds volume, is not clumpy, and is the blackest black I've ever seen. It looks fierce.

Now the bad side. After it's on for a while, I can *feel* it. It gets hard and stiff and I am actually conscious that I have on mascara. I have never had this happen in my life! I have got to say that I now get the appeal of "soft" in Maybelline Full and Soft. Because this mascara is actually uncomfortable.

The other thing is that it is hard to take off! It wears like iron, but be prepared to wrestle it off like it's waterproof. Bifacil did the job, after holding a soaked cotton pad on my eye for like a full minute...ain't nobody got time for that!

I think I'll wear this only for special occasions. It looks amazing, but wow, what a pain in the ass it is.

*came back to add: if you remove this mascara with oil it comes off easily. I use extra virgin coconut oil and really massage it in to work the product loose, then I use a hot wet wash rag to remove it. The oil also conditions your lashes so you aren't getting the damaging removal some others have mentioned.

on 6/1/2013 9:17:00 AM

I wanted this mascara for so long after hearing so many people raving about it and calling it their "holy grail" mascara, but I have to say for me personally, I was dissapointed.

Firstly, on a positive note, I think the packaging really does portray that high end and sleek look, but it is the product itself that really let's BeneFit down. For me, the formula is verging on watery and I can't seem to get any kind of volume on my lashes at all. It is most definitely lengthening as my lashes were the longest they'd ever been but that took various coats with a very scratchy and plastic brush. I can see why people love this mascara as it does genuinely stay exactly the same as you apply it to when you go to take it off at the end of the day. I think this product is very similar to the Maybelline Illegal Length mascara as they both tend to give dramatic length and lack on any volume.
Overall I seem to prefer more thick and I supposes almost dry mascaras rather than this one as I'm not really fussed aout length in comparison to volume.

on 6/1/2013 12:57:00 AM

OMG!
Through all the years of trying numerous mascaras—drugstore and high-end ones—I have finally found the one. I'm not sure how it translates for other people, but for me, it's the best.

I have long lashes, so they tend to get clumped together when the wrong mascara comes by. What I really need is one that straightens everything out, lengthens, separates; basically, that works like a comb but that leaves my lashes photo-ready all day long!

The formula is great. I've never once had to scratch my eye after a long day and I'm allergic to pretty much anything.

However, it is really hard to remove. I used the Neutrogena wipes that supposedly "frightens makeup away", but this one is a brave one.

The brush is great, though. And you've got to love beneƒit's flair and personality.

on 5/31/2013 9:13:00 AM

I received a sample of this mascara from Sephora in their Benefit birthday gift that also includes Watt's Up!. I've always wanted to try this mascara, but the price tag has given me much hesitancy as the most I've ever spent on mascara was at MAC, with MAC at least I could count on the item being used for their Back 2 MAC program. After one use I was absolutely blown away by this mascara!! It added so much length, volume, curl, and separation to my lashes without clumps. Wore exceptionally well during the day without flaking, smudging, or lashes looking droopy. Personally I love the wetter formula and I think the brush is so unique and brilliantly constructed. Those bristles grab and separate my lashes easily and effortlessly. I was so impressed that I have repurchased a full tube, but I got mine at Shoppers Drug Mart (in Canada) during one of there 20x the points events to help me justify purchasing this expensive, but wonderful mascara. I will continue to repurchase from time to time as a special treat to myself, as I do have and love many other less expensive drug store mascaras in my collection.

on 5/31/2013 7:05:00 AM

My hands down holy grail mascara! I've gone through countless tubes of this and I just cannot get over how astounding it is!! Whenever I wear it (which is whenever I'm not at school) I get people asking me if I'm wearing falsies; no joke!! The look and effect it gives on the lashes is so astonishing I get told off for wearing it to school! It makes your lashes amazingly long and full and false looking! I've introduced to many friends and family to this mascara and even though it is a little pricey, they all now swear buy it! If you want an even more dramatic look I layer Benefit Bad Gal Lash in black over the top to make them thicker! Or if you don't want to splurge on bad gal as well as they're real, Maybelline the falsies flared works great as an alternative! Definitely will repurchase again and again and again!!

on 5/31/2013 1:11:00 AM

This is probably my favorite mascara! It gives unbelievable, ludicrous length. When you curl and separate your lashes, then apply this mascara, your lashes look lifted and fanned out, providing an incredible false-lash effect. I also got amazing wear: over 11 hours, without ever smudging, flaking, or clumping.

The wand had dense, spiky bristles that hook onto the lashes. There's also a small ball of bristles on the tip that make applying product to the small inner lashes a breeze. However, the bristles are sharp, and hurt if you may poke yourself. A full size is $23, but for the amazing results, I believe its worth every penny. I especially like to layer this over a volumizing mascara for even more of a false-lash effect.

(read the full review on peakvolume.blogspot.com)

on 5/30/2013 10:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this mascara!
I received a sample, and was immediately impressed. It has a hard, plastic brush, which makes application very easy, and has a rounded tip to get harder to reach lashes. Also makes for virtually no clumps.
The formula is great, probably the best I've ever used. I don't think I will try any other mascaras now that I have found this one. Gives lashes tons of volume without them sticking together.

on 5/27/2013 10:24:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is a nice mascara. It is very volumizing. It's not clumpy and it's long wearing, although due to its weight, lashes may droop if your lashes don't curl naturally (mine don't). It's a heavy formula, on the wet side, and it feels like it takes more makeup remover to get this off than with my normal mascara. I also feel like my lashes would not be in good shape if I wore this every day. It does not appear to be a conditioning formula.

I think the brush is gimmicky and useless. Unless you are ambidextrous, your mascara will not apply the same on both eyes, using this brush. I would prefer a normal brush. I got this free as a Sephora birthday gift, and I do not think I would buy a full size. It does last quite long before it needs replacing, so I think if your lashes are in good shape and you want a decent thickening and lengthening mascara, that this would be a good choice. Just not for me.

Video Reviews & Tutorials