December 22, 2014 | 1567 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 2/3/2010 4:58:00 PM More reviews by mari42000

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

So I jumped on the ban wagon because everyone was talking about this foundation I have to say it totally broke me out. I am acne prone and just 3 weeks ago I was acne free until I started using this foundation and now I can't get my skin back on track. However the color I got was spot on so that is the only good thing about the foundation.
Edit- I got my acne under control and wanted to give this another go I have been using it for the past 3 months and its been perfect. I have been using this foundation with the cover fx primer and my makeup comes out flawless I also apply the foundation with the MAC 109 brush. No more break outs..yay!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2010 9:58:00 AM More reviews by Crump360

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been using this product for a few months and I think that this is a great foundation. Although (for me) it is not the best but I really do like using it. I got this in Cadiz which matches my palish winter skin. I like liquid foundation that has buildable coverage and this foundation can be used excatly in this way. It is easy to blend and gives great coverage in my opinion. I have found great results using a foundation brush, my fingers and a sponage. It feels very light on the skin and covers imperfections flawlessly. Also, not a lot of product is needed for good coverage. I much prefer this foundation to their other NARS varieties (such as the firming foundation and the sheer matte foundation which was too light for me in the Cadiz color). NARS has definately stepped up it color game and added a bunch of new colors (esspecially for us women of color) to the Sheer Glow and Matte foundations to ensure the perfect color match. Because of the sheerness of the foundation, most people will be able to find a color that will work with their skin tone.

But like I said before this is not the best foundation I have ever used. It does need to be retouched by the afternoon, so the staying power is not incredible but very typical of most foundation (at least on my combination skin). Also, I think the name of this ("sheer glow") is misleading. Although I think that this foundation is sheer and buildable, it does not give you a "glow". There is no brightening affect with this foundation (but that is not saying that you are not going to get a flawless finish). I think that is why people are disspointed by this foundation, because they expect it to live up to its name. Also, I hate that there is no pump because it makes the bottle a little messy but it does not irritate me all that much. Overall, I would recommend and purchase again. I prefer light foundations that have sheer buildable coverage and this foundation fits the bill, but if you are looking for heavier full coverage, with light refecting particles to give you that so called "glow". This is not it, and good luck finding that foundation.
UPDATE (3/26/2010)****
I added another lippy to make 5 lippies! This foundation has great lasting power! I applied it this morning before work 730am and 8 hours later I haven't needed to touch up. Also, I feel like it helps to keep my blush from fading away as well, LOVE THIS STUFF. SO FAR THE BEST FOUNDATION I HAVE USED.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2010 3:10:00 PM More reviews by heebz9984

Def HG material! this foundation makes you look very natural.

Now the name is a little misleading. Me being a girl with oily skin bought this a honestly didn't think I would like it. When I heard "sheer glow", I thought that this would not cover any of my redness and would make me look like a oily slick. But trying it, I am very very happy with it. I looks natural on. You can apply it with your fingers and well as a wet sponge. It covered me redness completely. It does not make any expression lines stand out. It last a while, but not a long as my day (which is 13 hours) but what does. After about 6 hours it makes my skin look alittle oily, but not WHOAH OILY SLICK LIKE. It makes it look like I am glowing. It is made for normal skin. It has not caused my acne prone skin to break out. This might be HG!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2010 10:34:00 PM More reviews by Lulette

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

After using Mac Face & Body for over a year and with a waning loyalty to it, and after numerous rave reviews for Nars Sheer Glow, I decided to give it a try. I found my match in "Barcelona". Pros: the color is spot on for my tanned olive complexion, and blends beautifully. A little goes a long way with this foundation, though even when layered it still appears natural and provides good coverage. Cons: It can be drying, and it will highlight flakes if I don't use a good moisterizing base. Overall, this is the best foundation I have used as it looks natural and wears extremely well.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/28/2010 11:29:00 AM More reviews by Helenaray

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got punjab for my NC 25-30 skin. The colour is too gold for me. I have to find better colour probably more yellow tone. So this review is about the quality.

I used this product with a clean brush. At the end of the day, when I removed my makeup,I got dark spots on my both cheeks where I applied little heavier than other areas. I also got some small pimples on my chin. Later, my skin got worse.

This never happened to me when I used Makeup For Ever.

I am not sure if this was caused by Nars Sheer Glow, but when I read other reviews, other people seemed to have similar problems who rated 2 or 3 stars.

Conclusion: I am not giving up with this product. I plan to try it again and will update my review later. But if you have sensitive, dry or acne prone skin, I don't recommend this product.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/27/2010 11:48:00 AM More reviews by IslandLover

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I decided to get a sample of this after hearing many rave reviews and I was very disappointed when this didn't work for me. I do like the consistency of this foundation but the coverage was just "okay" for me. I understand that it's not supposed to be heavy coverage but it didn't even feel like medium coverage for me. I felt like I could find something similar for much cheaper. Another con is that for the price, there seems to be no applicator on the bottle. For that much money, NARS can opt to include a pump at the least. Also, the finish of this foundation simply did not work for me. I do tend to have pretty oily skin but primers & oil absorbing powders help me out a lot. And generally in the winter, my skin is not nearly as oily. I use MAC's Studio Sculpt foundation with no problems in the winter. But this foundation made me look like an oil slick which really surprised me. I just looked too shiny for my liking. The color selection is nice but the biggest reason I will not be repurchasing is because it made me break out. The only other foundation to ever break me out was Bare Minerals original formula because of that one ingredient so I was very surprised that Sheer Glow made me break out - especially if I can use MAC's foundations with no problems. In any case, this seems to work well for a lot of people but I warn everyone to obtain a sample first to try out before splurging on the bottle. For reference I am an NW35 and used the color "Barcelona."

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2010 6:49:00 PM More reviews by honeybeeyy

I have been using this for couple months. The texture of this foundation is very nice. It gives you a nice glow and it is not heavy at all. However, I have stopped using it due to the color. I've bought Fiji, but it is too yellowish on me (I'm asian with a light to medium skin tone). Gobi is too white, Deauville is too pink, and Ceylan is too dark for me. I like the texture and finish of this foundation, but I just cannot find a color that matches my skin tone.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2010 6:16:00 PM More reviews by cookielicious82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this now for a few months. I loved the glow it gives and the coverage is just enough not to look to heavy. i use retin a to get rid of all the acne so i tend to have dry skin. i found the foundation didnt work well with the dry skin and at times i felt it looked very powdery and sank into fine lines. overall a good foundation but probably suit oily skin more. perfer the chanel pro lumier for the dewy finish.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2010 12:52:00 AM More reviews by rachybloom

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

EDITED: After initially writing this review, I have found that if I apply the foundation with anything BUT my fingers, it smears and smudges all day. I had two friends comment on my foundation and (quite honestly) tell me that it looked like it was just SMEARING. And I have dry, dehydrated skin. I shelved this product for a couple months, vowing to NEVER touch it again since it decided to stop working with my skin. However, one day I saw pixi2woo on youtube say it applied beautifully with the fingers. So I used a bit of the new L'Oreal Studio Secrets Primer (in the pot, the clear one) on well-moisturized skin, then rubbed this in with clean finger tips, making sure to blend it in very well. VOILA. It looked amazing all day. I have also found that setting it with Guerlain Mythic Meteorites is the only powder that works with this. My previous method worked at first, but then it began to look terrible. My advice? Try applying this with your fingers. Normally, I HATE applying foundations with my fingers since I have five foundation brushes, but this foundation, in my opinion, works best when blended well with fingers.

I'm on my second repurchase of this, and behind MUFE HD, it is my second favorite foundation. Although the name implies a dewy finish, I actually find that this is a "satin" or "natural" finish. It's neither matte nor dewy and looks incredibly natural. The word "Sheer" is also misleading, this is a definite medium coverage foundation. I apply with the Sephora 55 brush, using either Dior Skinflash Primer or Giorgio Armani Master Light Fluid Primer as a priming base. I've set this foundation with MAC MSFN, MUFE Duo Mat, and Guerlain Mythic Meteorites all to great success. However, I prefer the meteorites for this specific foundation. Every time I wear this, I get compliments on my skin. I'm a match to MUFE HD 110 (PPP with slight pink undertones) and wear NARS Sheer Glow in Siberia, which is a big lighter than 110, and less pink, but I think it matches my neck better anyways. So why do I slightly prefer MUFE HD? Although Siberia matches me SLIGHTLY better, I think MUFE HD lasts longer. NARS Sheer Glow has a tendency to slip around on me a little bit, and I have dry skin! I may trying using it without a primer (I tend to use moisturizing primers), or with a less emollient moisturizer to see if that helps. However, this is the only flaw I have found with this and will update if I find an improvement in my routine that makes this last longer! All in all, this is an amazing foundation that provides a natural finish. I would definitely recommend!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2010 6:13:00 PM More reviews by draginl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was scared to use this, since I don't want anything resembling a shine on my face. I have combo skin that can get very oily as the day goes on. I tried the Sheer Matte with a beauty blender and I found that it is wayyyyy too time consuming for me in the am. It definitely keeps your skin matte all day but it is somewhat drying and difficult to work with. My skin is too dry in the am and too oily at night. If anything, I loved the little extra moisture the Sheer Glow gave me. Kept my oil glands from working overtime to compensate for morning dryness.

I LOVE SHEER GLOW. I have it in Ceylan and at first I thought it was a little yellow, but after it sets, it looks great. A little goes a very long way! I haven't tried to build the coverage. IMO I think that would ruin the intended finish. I bought Punjab for the Sheer Matte. The Sheer Glow foundations are slightly darker than the Sheer Matte's so you definitely have to be careful. It is best to try them out in a few different lights (store lighting vs. natural lighting). The Sheer Glow doesn't look or feel like I am wearing anything. Honestly, at the end of my work day (9am-6pm) I do see some shine, but that's just my oily skin building up throughout the day. I have somewhat better results shine-wise with the Sheer Matte, but not enough that I would stick with it every morning. Besides, at the end of the day, I can definitely do a blot or two and it works fine. The Sheer Glow stays in place. My routine in the am: moisturize well, apply Lorac aquaPRIME, apply Clinique Pore Minimizer Tzone Shine Control (my oily skin HG) and THEN the Sheer Glow. The aquaPRIME is a water-based primer. Since Sheer Glow is a water-based foundation, they work really well together. It probably seems like a lot of stuff to be putting on your skin in the morning but my skin gets really oily throughout the day, UNLESS I use these products. With this stuff, my skin doesn't start getting oily until about 3 or 4.

The packaging is HORRIFIC. I always dump too much out onto my hand. They definitely have a pump now but I didn't know that when I picked this up at Sephora and no one there offered me the option.

I absolutely HATE liquid foundation, I've never found one that I liked. But Sheer Glow has completely changed my everyday look and my morning makeup routine. I apply it with a kabuki brush and buff it into my skin. Super super easy, super blendable, super fast. The best part about it is it's ability to make your skin look fantastic in any light. I work in an office with big windows in LA, so sometimes I'm under those awful flourescent lights and sometimes I'm in a huge conference room with tons of bright, natural sunlight. This foundation doesn't discriminate with lighting, it looks flawless consistently. I still use my Cargo concealer (HG) with this for undereye circles and blemishes, because it is light-medium coverage foundation. Also, no breakouts so far and I've been using this for two weeks!

Never tried Sheer Glow at night. If I go out, it's usually to a club and I don't think this stuff would hold up very well with any sweat or too much moisture like that. It may, but I'm still getting over my liquid foundation phobia and I feel safer not using it. I still use my Clinique Pore Perfector primer (the darker shade) and my Bare Minerals Matte foundation for nights out.

Bottom line, dont let the "Glow" name turn you off, oily girls. It turned me off and I'm definitely sorry it took me so long to try it. I feel like it is the only liquid foundation I will ever need!