October 25, 2014 | 1073 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

REFORUMULATED 2012 Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=159975/Double-Wear-Stay-in-place-Makeup/Estee-Lauder/Liquid for the current formulation of this product

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2009 12:14:00 PM More reviews by gigiberry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I received a very generous sample of Double Wear in a swap. The sample lasted me about a month or so, with me wearing it almost daily. I believe I used Ecru which was a great match for my NC15 skintone. This has the best coverage out of any liquid foundation I've tried. And I've tried....a lot. I usually use Revlon Colorstay but the DW applied with my MAC 187 brush covered all imperfections, no concealer needed. It was easier to apply than the Colorstay in that it went on a bit smoother and didn't dry as quickly. It also didn't emphasize flaky skin which occasionally happens with Colorstay. It was just as long-wearing as Colorstay for me and lasted all day. However, I suspect this may have contributed to breakouts. But for a special occasion, this is truly the best foundation I've tried for that flawless, porcelain-doll look.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/8/2009 12:19:00 PM More reviews by mayarc87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I really wanted to like this. It feels really good on your skin, the rubbing off is very minimal but for some reason at the end of the day my forehead had no more makeup.

The color match was terrible to do. I've read a lot of reviews of people complaining about the match. I use MAC studio fix fluid in NC25 in the summer and NC20 in the winter, I was first matched to 2N1 desert beige, then at another counter 2N2 fresco. I bought the fresco because it looked to be the best shade. The C shades were to pink and the W really yellow, the N after really close look at my house had this salmon look. I should have gotten samples. It did not look natural, more like a mask, but the feel of it was good when you touch it.

After 4 uses I got this dry patch/bad reaction and had to return it. All of my forehead and the side of my cheeks had this feel and look like I have spread crazy glue over it (if you ever let crazy glue dried on your fingers you know what I'm talking about). It took me 3 weeks to fix my skin.

They should have a pump, we shouldn't have to buy one from MAC to make the application better.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2009 1:35:00 AM More reviews by gabby73

It is the best foundation ever! I recommend for everyone to try it

rated 3 of 5 on 10/7/2009 4:03:00 AM More reviews by pradachic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I was really excited to try this after all the reviews that it got, I was looking for a foundation that wouldn't budge from my face and that would last all day. Luckily SA gave me a 10 day sample in Rich Ginger. The product was very drying and I dont think the coverage was great either. I am NW45 and I think i would need a slightly darker colour. I will try again but I dont think this is for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/6/2009 11:08:00 AM More reviews by Toyotacarina

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The first time i used this foundation i thought i'd found my HG.
    I have acne prone skin with a very uneven skin tone so
    after years of confusion at make-up counters i was extatic. The colour was perfect (shell) and it seemed to glide over my smashbox primer well.

Buuut..after an hour or so i started to feel my skin tighten, not in a 10 years younger way but in a: my face is drying up way! I looked in the mirror and was shocked at what a mess my makeup had turned into. It had sank into every pore and line on my face (some i didnt even knew existed!) and had literally sucked all the moisture out of my skin. Blemishes appeared flakey and it looked extremley mask-like. GUTTED!
    However i was willing to give Double-wear another chance because the coverage is amazing as i have some acne-scaring.
    So i purchased a heavy-duty moisturiser (Elizabeth Ardens 8 hour cream) hoping it would protect my skin under the foundation.
    It did work and i found you have to play around with this makeup to find how to make it work for you. Personally i use Macs #187 duo fibre brush to apply. It gives a more subtle buildable coverage than your regular foundation brush.

Also i found even over a primer it needed alot of touch ups through the day. Not great.
    So basically-the only thing this foundation has going for it is its coverage. If you need full coverage it does the job but beware! It is very heavy and paint-like. It is extremley drying so make sure you use a good moisturiser and primer. It goes on very matt so i suggest using a good illuminator too.
    You have to be very careful with this makeup because it can go horribly wrong.

Ive recently been steered in the direction of Laura Mercier and Lancome for full coverage foundations without the mask effect.
    Surely there has to be something better out there for us girls who need a little more coverage!?
    So the search continues....

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2009 3:53:00 AM More reviews by rosec239

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

this works well, at first i didnt like it because without a primer or moisturizer it just doesnt blend well. other than that i love it, it doesnt give me any breakouts at all.
    the price is kind of high but estee lauder gives away a lot of gifts so it kind of made up for it. mine came with 3 make-up bags, mascara, a mirror, a moisturizer, and my now favorite eyeshadow quad.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/1/2009 10:22:00 PM More reviews by happyfeet071223

I have to say its really long lasting and almost covers everything...but also really dry...even for my combination-oily skin. Im not sure but it seems bring me some acne...i still like the bobbi brown luminous foundation better. Double wear makes me feel I wear double foundation...

rated 3 of 5 on 10/1/2009 10:15:00 PM More reviews by k4waii

It cover really well but I hate the smell. I think the shade I got was a little too dark for my skin (ivory beige). It cover really well but it looks cakey like people can totally tell I put foundation on. I like that is long lasting and covers super well but is too noticeable and blocks pores. I don't really use it only when im going to somewhere where i want to cover everything on my face.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/30/2009 9:46:00 AM More reviews by angeladrylie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Grey

Ingredients: Water, cyclopentasiloxane, trimethysiloxysilicate, titanium dioxide, butylene glycol, tribehenin, peg/ppg-20/20 dimethicone, sorbitan sesquioleate, magnesium sulfate, tocopheryl acetate, phenyl trimethicone, polymethyl-silsesquioxane, methicone, laureth-7, xanthan gum, alumina, bht, sodium dehydroacetate, imidazolidinyl urea, chloroxylenol, phenoxyethanol. May contain iron oxides, mica.

So this was sold to me as a medium coverage, long lasting, semi-matte liquid, and I have to say it lives up to all of that and more. I bought this as an alternative to Lancome's teint idole which I have used for years and love but am abandoning due to Lancome's animal testing. This gave me better coverage than the Lancome, was more matte and lasted better so I am very happy, I did however find the Lancome felt nicer on - more "breathable" and velvety, more kind of elegant, and was easier to blend as well as having much better packaging (a pump which was unscrewable so you can get the last little bit out).

I feel this is more than semi-matte, and gives medium to full coverage. I recently experimented with Estee's sister company, Clinique's superfit foundation and that was a disaster - orange, streaky, irritating and greasy. This is so much better it's unbelievable that the same people make the two products. I have only just started using this, but I am loving it. It lasts all day, and is a beautiful colour that doesn't oxidise the way superfit did. I have the shade 2N2 Fresno 01, which is a neutral shade and it is great at hiding my redness from sensitivities and redness around pimples etc. I do still use concealor, but I am using less.

This also has SPF in it which I like, although it is only SPF 10, and it seems to be a physical sunscreen - the titanium dixiode - which is generally better for sensitive skin than chemical sunscreens, although this may show up in photo's as a whitish cast - haven't been photographed so can't say for sure. It also has vit E in it, a powerful antioxident (the tocopheryl acetate is vit E). In the brief time I have started using this my skin has also improved - less dry, flaky and red, although this could be just from stopping using superfit.

I do find it feels a bit plasticy on and it is quite heavy which some people may not be comfortable with, and you do have to blend fast but overall I may be in love. The one thing I hate though is the wide open neck on the bottle. It is impossible to dispense the right amount and I feel like I am wasting it, which at AUD $68 a 30ml bottle I am not happy about. If only they could put a narrower neck or a pump on it, but overall, one week in, I am pretty happy. Will update if I change my mind.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2009 2:55:00 PM More reviews by caoscalmo

I LOVE this product! I tried it after reading the reviews on here and I have to say that it really does wonders :) It gives me clear looking skin and People often compliment on my skin when I wear it ;) Even on the days when I have acne breakouts (I have small red-ones usually allover the face esp. nearing that time of the month) when I slather this on, it evens out the tone of my skin and gives an illusion of clear radiant skin! I put it with a foundation brush or using my fingers, I don't have to use a lot because it already has such great coverage.my bottle last me for a long time. I don't use any powder on top of it because I like it the way it is (unless for party purposes that needs heavier looking make up). It has staying power as advertised ^_^

I have combination skin and prone to acne. I didn't experience any breakouts or irritation due to the usage of this product. I Definitely will repurchase again and it's now my ultimate foundation, I reccomend it to everyone- my sis is now hooked on it as well ;)