December 22, 2014 | 1664 users online

Pressed Powders - Maybelline - Dream Matte Pressed Powder [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2008 2:26:00 PM More reviews by Bhree

I have used this powder for about a year now and I wonder why I never got around to reviewing it. I love it. It's cheap, comes in a large selection of colors and the coverage is amazing. It's very smooth and makes you look flawless. I was surprised at the quality like a lot of people seem to be. I've just about run out of this powder, even through heavy use it's lasted a lot longer than my loreal powder. Even if you reapply this stuff, you have to WORK at it to look cakey. No wonder they call it "Dream Matte".

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2008 12:53:00 PM More reviews by marmiran23

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

AMAAAZZZZINGGG!!!!!! Seriously, I'm in shock that Maybelline made such a high performance powder. Ladies, if you want your skin to look poreless and satiny soft, this is the powder for you! I use it over my MF Pan-Stick foundation and the finish is FLAWLESS. I love this stuff!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2008 10:22:00 PM More reviews by RavenBeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am in shock as I write this! Dream Matte caught me completely off guard here! I am the type of person who is willing to spend any amount of money to find that perfect powder. I've spent as much $150.00 on a powder because I've been that determined and that desperate. I am super pale, super oily and need real time coverage without looking cakey (tall order in the cosmetics industry). Usually if you get the coverage you want, you also get the cakiness that comes with it or the shade is not pale enough or it oxidizes or something. I have tried everything from drugstore brands to mainstream department store brands to elusive hard to find lines and back again. Chanel, Lancome, Clinique, Lauder, La Prairie, La Mer, Cover FX, Prescriptives, Mac, Shiseido, Dior, Yves Saint Laurent, T.LeClerc, Kanebo, Cle De Peau and the list goes on and on trust me. I've tried most drugstore powders too, but for some reason this one got by me and I had never tried it until today. The reviews have been through the roof for this powder here and everywhere so I picked one up for less than $6.00 in Fair Light 01 which is their palest shade and perfect for my porcelain skin (even though it looks like it could be a tad too dark in the pan).

I can't get over this powder which covers like nothing I have ever seen in my life and goes on like the finest powder you could ever hope to find at ANY price. It looks like pure, finely milled silk and stays that way (and I am as oily as they come)! I have a lot of red in my skin that I try to camouflage as much as I can without looking too golden and this is the perfect shade. It gets rid of the red and yet it looks totally natural. This is so highly pigmented that it actually covers acne and discoloration better than any powder foundation I have ever tried (and this is just a setting powder)! It looks totally natural and doesn't even remotely cake on top of my favorite liquid foundation. I wore this over Estee Lauder's Double Wear Liquid Foundation in ICI Shell and it not only didn't make me look cakey, but it softened my foundation and set it beautifully! OMG where did this stuff come! If you have any ruddiness or acne or anything, this stuff acts like a silk blanket and makes your skin look airbrushed! Best of all it helps to control oil very well (I still have to blot with it about every two to three hours because I am super oily, but even then it does not cake and makes my make up look so fresh and renewed)! I don't know whether to laugh or cry really.

I have spent hundreds upon hundreds in my quest to find that perfect powder and here it was all this time under my nose at less than $6.00! If this is a dream please don't wake me (by the way this stuff looks awesome on it's own without any foundation too)! The only downside here is the design. I get the feeling that Maybelline thought we would love this two part design where the mirror swivels out from beneath the compact with the puff in the secondary compartment, but I found it to be the one thing I dislike about this amazing powder. It would be much easier if I could just open up the compact and take the puff out and touch up, but it requires me to take an extra step and it's a bit of a hassle (one I can live with for this incredible finely milled jewel of a powder and also I use a better puff anyway that doesn't even fit in the compartment)! continued >>

71 out of 76 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2008 11:04:00 PM More reviews by Baiju

Good powder for oily skins, especially in summer. I use color medium 1. I tried Medium 2-2.5 and my face turned orange by the end of the day. Really awful packaging.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2008 10:05:00 AM More reviews by Tricho

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I saw the rave reviews on this and decided to buy some after I'd been looking for a powder for a while.

Gotta say it's a brilliant powder, does what it says on the tin (although I wish the tin was prettier). I think the colour selection is lovely and I found a brilliant one to match my skin tone although I couldn't tell you what it was (one of the lightest).

It's good to know that even the d/s stuff is good sometimes - a lot of the time I dont' find this to be the case.

I would definitely buy this again but I would really like to find a high end version, it's not that i'm a snob, it's just that I like my mu to look pretty if it's making me look pretty.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2008 7:27:00 PM More reviews by Sua

I accidently purchased this on whim thinking it was a foundation. I already have MAC's Full Coverage + MUFE HD Powde, so it's actually unecessary now! However, I love using it as a light foundation when I'm lazy. It definitely has sheer coverage, buildable to medium. Even piling it on with my 183, it still looks great and not cakey.

I have not tried it without a primer, but MAC's P+P spf 50 and this keeps my oily oily t-zone away all day! The only complaint is that if I touch my face it feels all gunky. Yuck!

Also absolutely LOVE the fact this d/s line had my color!! I'm super light and have yellow undertones. MAC NC15. I was so freakin' shocked. I have never seen such a FAIR and YELLOW d/s color! (as well as loreal). Mega props to you Maybelline!! I use this in light. This stuff is good, and I do not mind paying $9 for this.

I think I may buy this in pairs each time, in fear of the color being d/ced..

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2008 2:49:00 AM More reviews by mizsassy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this powder in walmart for less than ten bucks and I honestly wonder why did I go through the trial and error wasting money on expensive branded makeup to find the perfect powder. Maybelline dream matte pressed powder is the best powder I have used so far (alongside with Loreal bare naturale mineral pressed powder, which I also bought), and the packaging is very cute, it comes with a powder puff and hidden mirror under the puff. Great stuff! I'm using the shade honey and it is perfect for my slightly tanned skin. It gives a matte finish and makes my skin look smooth. It is quite lasting too, I only had to touch up once in a day. Seriously, the expensive makeup brands aren't necessarily better than the cheap ones. By the way I'm NC 30 in MAC and the shade Honey is a good match for my skintone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2008 11:55:00 AM More reviews by juliaesands

This is hands down the best pressed powder I have ever used and I have used MAC, Clinique, Estee Lauder, Fresh, Cover Girl, Armani, etc etc. The texture is wonderful- very very soft finish with coverage that is buildable and feathersoft- to be quite honest I didn't expect the texture of my skin afterwards to be as silky. It gently blotted out the shine and my skin stayed that way for several hours. (Texture is more important to me that the powder lasting hours without touchups, which I think are actually a nice way to escape to the bathroom). The compact is fine- I mean for a drugstore makeup brand it was nice, nothing special and the puff it comes with is easily replaceable when it gets too dirty. I am NW25 and I bought this in Sand. Excellent!

update: this is the EXACT SAME PRODUCT as Armani pressed powder! compare the ingredients...they are IDENTICAL. Incredible purchase!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/30/2008 3:25:00 PM More reviews by ChanelDoll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product is really nice, I like the packaging and love the colors, gives a nice matte finish-just like the name says!. Unfourntunetly, I got whiteheads everythime I used it. Some emollients break me out in whiteheads and the 3rd ingredient is one. I did get lots of compliments about how great my skin looked . I may give this powder another shot down the road though so a special occasion or to see if i get the whitheads again. This powder comes in a gorgeous selection of colors, which imo is surprising for maybelline-never got a good match with their foundations or concelars. I am about NW20 in MAC and have very neutral skin. Because I am fair lots of products can make me look too orange, yellow or pink. got this in Sand and it is a beautiful neutral color that is slightly darker but not orange. It just gives me a slighly tanned look that I love. I want to help some people out who are trying to save some $$. L'oreal owns both Maybelline and Giorgio Armani. I posted the ingredients to both underneath and they are basically identical!!! I have never tried the Armani, but I think it is safe to say it is a VERY similar product!
Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Powder:

[+/- MAY CONTAIN
MICA
CI 77499, CI 77491, CI 77492 / IRON OXIDES
CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE ]

These are the ingredients that were both sent to me from Maybelline and Armani. Hth!

66 out of 66 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/28/2008 12:07:00 AM More reviews by navywendy

so far i really like this..for a DS powder it works quite nicely. i purchased this as i needed a new powder and didn't want to shell out 35 bucks for LORAC, which is what i use for my foundation. so far this powder has stood up to the 7 dollar price tag (bought at walmart on sale) so, i am so far impressed.