July 23, 2014 | 1945 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #187 Duo Fiber Face Brush (Stippling, Skunk Brush)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2005 5:01:00 AM More reviews by makeupadorer

This is probably my most treasured make-up tool. It is incredibly soft so it buffs like a dream. I bought this brush to apply liquid foundation on the advice of a MAC SA. I thought she was joking when she said this is her favourite brush for applying foundation as I had expected her to produce the MAC foundation brush. She gave me a demo and as the result was really good I thought that 'okay, I'll give this a go.'. I reckoned that if I'm unable to reproduce the results she produced with this brush then at least it would be a handy brush for my make-up bag anyway. I don't use MAC foundation - I use Clinique Dewy SMooth and I have to say that I was literally stunned at how well this brush applies this make-up. As previous reviewers have said, little circular movements really buff the make-up into your skin and the result is FLAWLESS. My make-up also seems to last longer with this brush. I liked this brush so much and it also did such a good job of applying my Guerlain Meteorites, Bronzer and Blusher, that I decided to try the traditional foundation brush and keep this one for these other purposes. BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!! What I should have done was buy another one of these but instead I wasted money on a foundation brush which I never use now except for applying cream blush sometimes.

This brush is very very versatile - it is expert at giving that professional 'natural' look. It is also extremely comfortable to use so I would highly recommend one for anyone's make-up bag as it works so well with so many products. The only criticism I have is that it sheds a bit when applying the liquid foundation and the dye really runs out when you wash it. It is quite pricey (27) but it is an investment in your grooming kit and doesn't come out that much more expensive than many other higher end make-up brushes which are only half as versatile and often less superior in quality. I'm not a great MAC fan - I find their make-up collection a bit over the top and quality wise only 'alright' and their foundations only 'so so' BUT their make-up brushes are fantastic!!!! I used to spend much more money on BB brushes and I think the MAC collection is superior as a tool and cheaper.

If I could start my make-up brush collection again I would have 4 of these: 1 for foundation, one for blush, one for bronzer, one for finishing powder (highlighter). I LOVE THE #187!

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2005 3:58:00 AM More reviews by Artbabe

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Wow is this brush soft. It is also incredibly versatile. I have used it to apply powder foundation, blushes and highlighters. You can just softly buff the color into your cheeks, very subtle but still noticable. This works with both pigmented blushes (as has been raved about already) but I am also using it with lighter colors. It won't completely replace my trusty 168, but it's nice to have options.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2005 10:31:00 AM More reviews by Fabfame

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have no idea how I applied my blush without this brush before and seriously thought I did not look like a clown. This brush has made a huge difference for me and even though I winced at the price, it was definitely worth buying. The good news is that like all my othe MAC brushes, it will last forever!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2005 6:44:00 AM More reviews by MoneyMaker

Love, love, love this brush!!! I can't rave enough about it; it picks up the right amount of color and deposits it smoothly exactly where I need it and want it. Everyone needs this brush!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2005 2:26:00 AM More reviews by Stilalady

5 lippies for this baby! It rocks! I read reviews on this brush how everyone raved that it works unlike any other brush. Finally, I got it! It's true, it's unlike any other brush, it picks up just the right amount. I have only used for my much adorded skinfinishes, but will now use it for blushes too. It is pricey for a brush, but totally worth it. If you are thinking about getting it, well think no more and go get it! You'll love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2005 5:29:00 AM More reviews by glamourgirl76

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow, this is by far one of my favorite brushes. I was hesitant to spend 42.00 (USD) on a brush, but I decided to give it a try. This is perfect to apply the heavily pigmented blushes in my collection. I have tried the CVS brand of the "skunk brush" and while it works, this MAC brush is far superior. IMO, you get what you pay for. Yes, it's expensive but it's worth it. It gives a flawless, even application when applying pigmented blushes. I use this to apply NARS Crazed, my Shu blushes and Cargo Panama. I would buy this again, if I happened to lose this brush, but I think it will last a long time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2005 11:52:00 AM More reviews by patty88

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Just recently bought this brush to go with 2 skinfinishes I bought (Stereo Rose & Porcelain Pink), and I must say that it is has lived up to all the raves I've been reading about. It gives the lightest touch to blushes and highlighters, picking up and depositing just the right amount. In fact, I originally bought it for the skinfinshes, but am now using for other blushes. The trick as my MA taught me, is to buff it in round circles on your cheek when using the skinfishes. Only drawback is the price, ouch! But I guess it's good investment.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2005 2:29:00 PM More reviews by PoisonedIvy

I finally bit the bullet and purchased a nice brush to apply my Aromaleigh mineral powder foundation. I'd been using a flocked sponge, and while it was delighfully quick, it was simply getting too heavy a layer of makeup on my face. My skin is clear, but flushes and gets blotchy easily, so I need a sheer to medium foundation. The sponge was definitely getting a medium-to-full coverage effect, which unfortunately creates havoc with my oily skin mid-day; it makes for a much nastier mess when it breaks down, as all foundations inevitably do when faced with the oil slick I call my forehead.So I headed to the MAC counter for a brush, specifically. The SA immediately recommended this little goodie, and it was so heavenly soft I had to go for it, despite the ouch price. (Usually I'm lame and spend $6 max on brushes.)Anyway, when I used it with my foundation, I fell in love. I applied two thin layers, and it distributes powder foundation like an airbrush, sheer and diffuse but buildable. It takes much more time than a flocked sponge, but so worth it. My foundation looks great, and lasts all day, FINALLY. (I do apply a translucent powder over it too, with a powder puff, not the brush, since I need as much of that as I can get!)Also tried it with blush. It is fantastic- it creates a soft hint of color blended just perfectly. Especially nice with a shimmery blush. I needed something just like that, since most blush applies too strongly on my pale skin. I'd actually be willing to try a NARS blush with this brush, I think it would sheer out the strong pigment enough.Anyway, a big splurge but absolutely worth it. The size is perfect for me, not too unweildly huge as many powder brushes are, small enough to double as blush brush, and sooooo soft! Highly recommended if you need a good multipurpose brush. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2005 5:36:00 PM More reviews by AgentLunacy

This is a great brush to apply the Mineralize Skinfinishes and other cheek products. It's so soft but still keeps it's shape. If I lost it I would buy it again.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2005 3:34:00 AM More reviews by nutsaboutmakeup

Short story: I like this brush so much i wanted to buy 2 but it sheds & cos of Mac lousy cs, i wont be buying mac anymore...

I really, really liked how this brush worked with my blushes, powders, bronzers & foundations! It kinda buffs ( i always wonder what that means but now i know) the product into your skin until the product becomes you skin...if you get what i am saying...You like dab the brush into the product & then swirl it in circular motions over your face/cheeks. So it not only works but its soft too! Unfortunately, mind shed like hell! At first i thought its okay for new brushes to shed...washed a couple more times, used a few more weeks & everytime i twirl the damn brush on a particular spot i have to pick up hairs that stick to that spot.

so i went to the local mac store, they wouldnt exchange cos i had bought the brush at a dutyfree airport counter & i din have a local receipt to prove i bought it. so i emailed mac. while waiting for mac to reply (2 months) i went to another mac counter & they still refused to exchange it cos ma said i shouldnt be using the Mac brush cleanser to cleanse the brush & i should be using any cheap shampoo to wash the brush twice a week & while doing that i should make sure that the water & shampoo soaks right into the ferrule to ensure all hair drops out & the sa said its common for brushes to shed!

then mac replies & sent me a reply paid "label" for such a huge company they din even bother to sent me a reply paid envelope but i just wanted an exchanged. so i finally received my new brush & i emailed to let them know i had it & their rep emailed back that i "needed to know the proper way of washing brushes & to use the correct products to wash the brushes & that i should approach local MAs if i didnt know how to take care of brushes. then she went on to say she hadnt had a problem with her mac brushes for 6 years." How insulting...

Plus I found out I wasnt the only one who had a #187 which sheds. so if anyone is interested, apparently Flirt cosmetics sell an identical brush for USD$6! continued >>