December 22, 2014 | 882 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

REFORUMULATED 2012 Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=159975/Double-Wear-Stay-in-place-Makeup/Estee-Lauder/Liquid for the current formulation of this product

rated 4 of 5 on 10/30/2009 3:00:00 PM More reviews by Mizumi

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using some samples of this foundation for 3 weeks (I ran around Stockholm looking for Estée Lauder counters and got samples) and so far it is truly the best foundation I've ever tried. It looks really natural and you get medium coverage, but can be sheered downed if wanted. The staying power is really great, for the first time my make up looks the same on me when I go to school as I get home in the afternoon.
However I will not purchase this since it's quite expensive in Sweden (almost 60$) and I still want some more coverage, So I will probably get the RCMA foundation soon.

Still it is an exceptional foundation!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2009 1:32:00 PM More reviews by Baiju

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Full coverage. Gets cakey when applied too much. Slid off my face in 2 hours and my face was left shiney.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/27/2009 2:06:00 PM More reviews by tammyhegefeld

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have dry skin with red under tones and this product has great coverage that doesnt enhance your dry skin. I feel that it gives me a hollywood glow and I always get compliments on my makeup when I have this product on with Bare Minerals over the top. The only thing is, this makeup is not photo friendly. If you take a picture with this makeup, your face will be white as a ghost in every picture. I actually went out and bought a darker color after seeing myself in a photo and this didn't correct the problem. I had some friends that I took pictures of and some of them had white faces too and they had on double wear as well. Everybody I know loves this makeup, we just wish they could fix the photo issue.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2009 3:39:00 PM More reviews by taliaseki

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been searching for a better foundation for months but double wear wins everytime because it can satisfy my special needs. First of all i have an oily face so though i love mineral makeup, after a few hours batches of foundation begin flooding over oil sea on my face. But double wear is great. It never floods instead it stays put on my face and oil comes on its top. So i can blot without loosing shape and double wear stays on my face unless i took it off. It stays on my face even at saloon after an hour of aerobic. Coverage is also great and a must have for me because i have a reddish sensitive skin. But to take it off you need an oil cleanser like preCleanse which is great either.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2009 5:06:00 PM More reviews by MackiesMummy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I don't wear foundation on a daily basis, but wanted to for my wedding day. I also wanted to do my own make-up. I researched loads and decided I wanted to try either the EL Double Wear or the EL Double Wear Light (which is the slightly newer, sheer one). I had a make-up consultation with EL and I had my face made up with half Double Wear and the other half Double Wear Light. Straight away I could see a massive difference between the two. The Double Wear was the one I choose as it gave me complete, flawless coverage. The Double Wear Light looked more like a tinted moisturiser (without the moisturising!) I bought the Double Wear in 2N2 Fresco, which is the shade the SA matched to my skintone and I have to say she done a fantastic job. I wore it on my wedding day with Smashbox primer underneath and my make-up was flawless and looked perfect all day until I took it off in the early hours of the morning. By the end of the day, my skin did feel a little dry, but that was the only downside. My photos came back fantastic, I looked completely natural and flawless again and many photos were taken outside in broad daylight. I would definately recommend this as a foundation for complete coverage, but it's not something I would wear daily; mainly as I don't wear foundation everyday. I would prehaps use the Double Wear Light daily when going out to work, but as a stay-at-home Mum, I rarely wear make-up now. Thanks EL for making my make-up perfect on my big day!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2009 1:11:00 AM More reviews by pvslinda

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have used Estee Lauder Double Wear for years, but for some reason, I thought I might something better out there. Was never totally happy with the shade I wore. (Fresco and then changed to Dusk). So I went on a foundation search. I tried Smashbox High Defintion. Didn't cover well and wore off as the day went on. Laura Mercier, Silk Creme; stayed "soft" all day and rubbed off easily. Makeup Forever, coverage not enough for my discolorations and looked a little chalky. MAC Sculpt, just got this one, still deciding if I like it or not. However, I did change to a different shade in the Double Wear and I've come to the conclusion that there is nothing out there that beats this foundation. It literally stays on all day. Doesn't feel sticky. Has great coverage, but doesn't look heavy and caked. Keep in mind though, I use a serum product first, then a moisturizer, then a primer before applying this. Makes a big difference. I've spent a fortune trying the others and I'm pretty much sold on the Double Wear.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2009 6:01:00 AM More reviews by machrina

It's amazing!! after all those years and i keep coming back to this.
whenever my skin is in trouble (very sensitive - there is almost no foundation that doesnt cause breakouts) i always reach for this.
its oil free, it stays all day and if you apply it with a good foundation brush (i use the louise young) you dont end up with an overdone face. personally i never felt like im wearing a mask. if it had a pump it would be perfect.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2009 2:47:00 PM More reviews by Brahbrah

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is my HG foundation. I used to use Revlon's Colorstay, but I like this much better. I rationalize the extra cost by only buying it when it's Gift time...then I get several EL extras!

The Shell is the perfect color for my pale skin. The staying power is very strong.

I recently tried to buy it in Canada and was told they discontinued the Shell color. Hope they don't do that in the U.S. (was able to buy it in the states). I'd be lost without this stuff!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2009 2:40:00 PM More reviews by LindsayLovesYou

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

The gal below me "solyaska" describes this foundation perfectly! You'll look very polished and flawless when you wear this, BUT it isn't an au natural look, but it isn't cakey either. I am NW20 and wear Ecru, and it's the perfect shade for me. I've been using about a year and this is the only liquid foundation I will wear! Doesn't make me break out at all and it's full coverage.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2009 1:20:00 PM More reviews by solyacska

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using Double Wear liquid for more than a year and sometimes I get annoyed about how fussy liquid foundation can be in the morning. I swap to something else, have my skin look horrible in it, reach for DW with a sigh and swear I'll never be without it again.

Coverage - this is definitely full coverage and not a natural look. It will look like you have makeup on, but it makes you look very polished. The finish is slightly dewy and also a bit sticky, so I dust with some pressed powder (currently Rimmel Stay Matte) for a matte look.
You don't really need concealer with this. I wouldn't suggest using it under the eyes though as it can be a bit drying there.

Colours - the colour range is fairly wide, although they could have catered better for very light and very dark skintones. The lightes shades (Shell, Ecru and Bone) will cater for NC/NW 15-20-ish skin.

I really like how there are 3 tones of each shade (warm, neutral and cool). The cool tones are really pink, would mostly suit white British skin. The neutrals are good, but still have a slight orange/pink tinge. The warm tones (which I use) are not as yellow as I'd like them to be, but it can be fixed with any powder on top so no biggie there.

If in doubt about whether to get a neutral or warm colour, go for the warm one. They're not very yellow-based at all and they look much more healthy than the neutrals.

Application - I've tried applying this with a brush, sponge and fingertips and sponge wins. It's very creamy and thick, so I dab a few dots on my face, spread with a sponge in downward strokes and then dab the flat side of the sponge over it to create a smooth finish.

The bottle is a little clumsy without and pump and all, but it's easily taken care of. I take the handle of an old makeup brush, dip it into the bottle and dot it on my face. Sorted.

Also, less is more. If you apply too much, it will look ugly and messy. Smooth it on gradually, you only need a tiny dab for the whole face. One bottle lasts me more than 6 months with daily use, it's really worth the price.

Lasting power - probably the best on the market. I have a very, very oily forehead and nothing else holds up. I set it with pressed powder and it easily lasts 10 hours with one or two touch ups.

For those who can't decide between the DW powder and this - the liquid offers much better coverage and a much more sculpted look. It also lasts about 3 times longer than the powder. However, the powder is much quicker to apply as the liquid needs to dry for at least 5 minutes. I wouldn't recommend using the powder on top of the liquid, it will look much too heavy and the powder doesn't control oil very well.

EDIT: Just a few other things I wanted to add.
- This is completely waterproof. I walked home in a massive English downpour and it didn't budge at all. It even stayed matte.
- It won't work with a foundation brush because a brush doesn't spread it very well. You need a larger flat surface to smooth it out, latex sponge or beautyblender works best. For a sheerer coverage use a wet sponge.
- This photographs HORRIBLY. I was actually tempted to knock a lippy off because it makes my face ghost white in photos, it's just awful. Titanium dioxide is listed twice among the ingredients so now wonder. I wouldn't recommend this for weddings or parties or whenever you'll be photographed with flash.

22 out of 27 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No