December 17, 2014 | 1703 users online

Pressed Powders - Maybelline - Dream Matte Pressed Powder [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2008 4:13:00 AM More reviews by jessicaho

Right now, I have been doing some harsh BP (benzoyl peroxide) therapy for my acne, so my skin is WAY out of whack (swollen in the red patches that are irritated by BP and flaking in the dry parts that were caused by BP as well), so I guaged my rating appropriately by judging it according to my normal skin.

Since it's winter, I'm an NC30 now and Medium 0-1 Sand works very well with my skin tone (the non-red parts, anyway).

This mattifies like it says it does. You want matte skin? You got matte skin. This works even better than just as a mattifying pressed powder, though. It's almost like a light to medium coverage foundation, even--I used it over the red patches (lightly daubed over with concealer, but with still apparent red) and it made my skin look like its normal colour again--I was quite impressed. Put too much, though, and it'll turn cakey.

I'd say that if your skin in normal-to-dry or drier, I'd skip this product because it won't be right for you. It would just emphasize dryness (very easy to see on the areas of my face dried out with BP). But it's just PERFECT for the oilies.

The idea for the compact is bulky but ingenious. Although the mirror gets powdered up, I like having the puff in a separate compartment to keep the dirt and oil I got on it from my face from further contamination.

I am honestly quite impressed with the calibre of the product, though. I bought it mostly because another reviewer listed the ingredients for this powder versus the Armani one and the closeness in the listing completely pursuaded me into choosing this one for my BP-affected skin (I just CANNOT walk out with these giant and embarrassing red patches all over my face. It's too awful.) because I can't get Armani products anywhere where I live and Maybelline is obviously cheaper. So, 5 lippies and I will repurchase when I need to replace this.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/9/2008 1:42:00 AM More reviews by SKSS

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This powder is very good. All the reviews rave about it! It is very silky and smooth yet it gives decent oil control too. I use this in fair, no pink in it thankfully. Gives the skin a good finish, no drying and oil controlling! I said to myself is this a drug store powder? LOL! I like the presciptives one virtual oil control powder, but too expensive, no bonus, and the clinique clarifying one the light shade seems a bit dark. This is a good drug store alternatives! Wish they put some antiacne salicyclic in this one it would be perfect!! Yrs ago girls i don't know if u guys remember maybelline did put out a antiacne powder in a purple compact but unfortunately they d/ced it ! Don't know why companies discountinue good products! But this powder is very nice!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2008 5:02:00 PM More reviews by hapapower

I've used this for a week so far, and I am most impressed by the silky, fine milled texture. This powder is more lightweight than CG Clean (my HG for eons) and yet covers nicely with a great matte finish. I get decent oil control from this. And Sand is a great shade on my NC30 skin. The price is nice too, about $8 but BOGOF. I have never believed in spending sick amounts of money on pressed powder. I use it too much on my oily/combo skin and I also make sure I have one in my bag, in my car, and at work. So the cheaper the better.

I even like the compact design. Once you get used to it, it's not bad. I can't be as discreet using this as with a traditional compact design, but that's okay.

Here's where I am worried. The day after I started using it, I got four small pimples on my chin. And I rarely break out. No, it's not that time of the month either. So I am a bit concerned that this is breaking me out. I will try to confine my usage of this powder to all areas except my chin and see what happens....UPDATE: So I avoided my chin and guess what? No new pimples...I used some of this along the left side of my jaw and got 2 zits there the next day...boo...I'm pulling this down to three lippies because of it...

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2008 4:05:00 PM More reviews by hipchick77

Great Product! I love the way it feels on my face. It is very light and covers my imperfections nicely. Also gives the illusion of smoother skin. The packaging is not the best as you have to twist the back to get to the mirror which has the puff on it.

All in all this product is worth the money and more!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2008 3:34:00 PM More reviews by emyj

I cant believe this stuff. So glad I never have to search for a matte powder again. I was outside walking around for 4 hours in a hot muggy weather and when we went home I got a glimpse of my face in the mirror & omg! Ive never seen my make up withstand weather like that. Didnt even need to blot. I use this on top of Rimmel 16 Hour Oil Free Wear.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2008 12:50:00 AM More reviews by chali26re

I hit the jackpot w/ this one.
I ran out of my Lancome and needed a quick supplement, so I grabbed this in Sand @ Walgreens. OH. MY. GOD. Is this stuff for real? It's amazing! SOOooo luxe, super-long wearing, and unbelievably skin perfecting. I really can't believe it's so inexpensive. Seriously. Not sure how Maybelline pulled this one off. It's mind-boggling.
Bye bye Lancome! (I can't believe I'm saying that!)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2008 2:54:00 PM More reviews by chicgirliegirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is one AMAZING pressed powder, definitely my HG! I found the perfect color match with 'Sand'. This gives my face a beautifully matte, smooth finish. My skin is very oily and acne-prone, so keeping me shine-free all day is quite a feat, and this powder achieves this wonderfully. I do not have to touch-up at all throughout the day. I apply this with a large powder brush, I am not a fan of the traditional puffs included in any powder compact. Some reviewers have dissed the packaging, but I think it is quite ingenious. Give this a try, Maybelline does not disappoint with this perfect powder!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/26/2008 1:51:00 PM More reviews by tlw

This is a great ds compact. I just brougt in my Origins compact and put it next to Maybelines colors and found my perfect match. The price is great. I paid under $8.00 at Target. This compact works well with my large pores too!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2008 5:47:00 PM More reviews by MBROOKS425

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this powder today after reading all the great reviews, and I like it! I dont think it's a HG powder, but its probably the best at a drugstore I've tried. I found the perfect shade for me, which is rare being Asian with yellow undertones yet still tan.. so great color selection, and went on smoothly! A much better color match than many other brands I have tried, and equal or better texture than the last powder from Origins that i bought, and half the price! I would buy it again. The only thing was I thought it smelled a little funny. But I can deal with that.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2008 5:11:00 PM More reviews by Peaches1027

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is not your ordinary drugstore pressed powder. I love this so much I would repurchase it at any price. I only need a little bit, and it controls shine all day (12 hours) without having to reapply. It also leaves my skin looking smooth and my pores smaller without being cakey. The compact comes with a mirror, and I love that the mirror and the puff are inside the bottom of the compact, which swivels open. I hate putting a dirty, used puff on top of my pressed powder, and this eliminates that problem. In brief: Good color selection, outstanding at shine control and making skin look smooth and flawless. I paid $9.99 for this at Walgreen's.