April 17, 2014 | 1649 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2010 7:02:00 PM More reviews by xxchinadoll

I can't even begin to name how many foundations I have tried. I have really oily, acne-prone skin and I have found "okay" foundations that work for me but still makes me an oily mess within 2 hours. Well problem solved with this foundation! I can wear this for at least 5 hours before my face starts to get shiny but even when it gets shiny, it just makes this foundation look dewy on my face which is nice! I can't even describe how happy I am to have found this! I use the colour Linen (I'm NC20-25, asian w/yellow undertones for reference). People with oily skin NEED to go out and try this now!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/15/2010 10:49:00 AM More reviews by thankGodformakeup

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I chose Estee Lauder as the first high-end brand to try. I've used a couple of drugstore foundations before but never got satisfying results so I figured investing in a really expensive yet good foundation would be worth it.

Let me start off with the shade selection. It does have a fairly wide array of shades to choose from and Shell Beige is the perfect one for me but what I hate about it is how even the "warm"-toned shades such as Tawny or Shell Beige still have a slight pink undertone to it. And you can see that in certain lighting. Not very good for my asian skintone.

Application seems just fine for me, I apply it over their Smooth Matting Base primer with my Ecotools foundation brush and it goes on my skin wonderfully. What I love about this foundation is that it really gives a lot of coverage, perfect for my acne scarring. But I still have to be careful as it can look cakey, so a little does go a long long way. Good thing about that is that it shows it'll last you a really long time. My friends who use it long before I did say one bottle lasts them at least a year.

Staying power I'm skeptical, claims to last over 14 hours but sometimes I feel like it last for 6-8 hours at most. Almost weightless in the first wear but by the end of day starts to feel really heavy and thick on the skin and it just makes me want to run home and wash it off. I have really oily skin so that could be a factor why it doesn't seem to last as long and stay matte.

Doesn't change color no matter how long I've had it on so that's good. Always had that problem with much cheaper foundations. Overall, pretty OK product but did not reach the expectations I've had after all the raves here.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2010 9:04:00 AM More reviews by Adriana265

I'm rather disappointed with this foundation. I was expecting it to be HG material due to all the rave reviews. I'm an NC37-NC40 and got the shade Tawny/3W1. The colour selection, whilst wide, pretty much sucks. They're all either too pink toned or too beige for my yellow undertoned skin. I settled with Tawny because when I swatched it at the store it looked a bit yellow and I'd seen picture swatches online which looked like it'd match me. It must have been the lighting in the store, because in reality, this is very beige and slightly pink toned. Doesn't look very good on me. It's wearable, but...my face looks lighter than my neck.

Packaging-wise, I like it. It's a cute glass bottle which I think looks very sophisticated. There is no pump, but that's okay with me. The texture of the liquid when poured out the bottle is somewhat runny, but not too liquidy. You *must* apply this on moisturized skin, because if you don't, it will show flakes on your skin that you never knew even existed. I have normal-combo skin and if I didn't moisturize well beforehand, my face looked like the Sahara desert. I find that it applies ok, not too hard to blend. It does dry very quickly though, so work fast.

The thing I'm most upset about is the look this gives my skin. It looks like a mask. You can tell I'm wearing makeup. It doesn't look natural at all. Yes, this is supposed to be medium-full coverage, but really...does that justify the mask-like-look? However, I do agree with the coverage claim, it does cover quite a lot. I'm usually a sheer/light/medium coverage girl so it was a bit of a change for me, and I didn't like it. It's too heavy. If I apply a teeny weeney bit, it looks a bit better, but still...you can tell I'm wearing foundation. And not in a good way.

Lasting power is very good - this stuff sticks to my face like glue. I went to the gym for a cardio/boxing class wearing this to test if it would last...and it did. Yes, some sweat had broken through, but I wasn't excessively oily and the foundation hadn't come off. Whilst part of me thinks "yayyy!" that my foundation stayed on throughout a 2 hour high intensity class in a hot room, another part of me feels a bit....iffy. Imagine how much this stuff must suffocate your skin if it doesn't even budge one bit!!!

Needless to say, the claims for this being long lasting are true. I do experience some breakouts if I wear this more than once or twice a week, which isn't so good as my skin doesn't break out much usually. The price is very high (just under 25 for 30ml) and not something I feel all to happy paying!

Overall I'm not really a fan of this foundation and I will not use it anymore - it's going in the trash. Too heavy/cakey, breaks me out, crap colour match....it's just not for me. However, the added SPF and long lasting power are good, hence the 2 lippies.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2010 2:36:00 PM More reviews by makeupaddict02

Im a NC37 and I got this foundation in TAWNY. I have combination skin and this has just worked great so far. I am currently applying it with my Sonia Kashuk blending sponge (damp) and it applies beautiful and makes my skin look flawless. I seal it with MAC's MSF in MEDIUM PLUS and it just looks great. Stays almost all day and I havent had to touch through out the day as with my other foundations used. It stays matte and I dont get that oily feeling on my face. I also purchased the Estee Lauder shadow base and let me say I really like the staying power on this stuff. Highly recommend to try this. Another color that fit good on my skin tone was DESERT BEIGE i got a free sample with my purchase and it looked great as well.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2010 9:13:00 AM More reviews by payyar89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

this looks like a pretty good foundation. i have terribly oily and acne prone skin and this hasn't seemed to irritate it yet - it only has one acnegic and pore clogging ingredient, lsited as the 8th ingredient - sorbitan sesquioleate - but other than looks like a fairly acne-prone skin friendly foundation.

this stayed on for most of the day, i have very oily skin so i was expecting it to budge a little (and it did) - i was a faithful user of revlon Colorstay up until now, both apear to be very similar.

the only major difference i noted - i could use a LOT less of the double wear foundation to get a heavy coverage as compared to my colorstay. and it appears to be far less acnegic. brilliant! worth the money, im glad i bought and would recommend it for sure.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2010 12:24:00 PM More reviews by wendiizhou

I have very oily skin and whilst this foundation doesnt stay matte for hours, it does stay on for a very long time. It's full coverage and it is a little thick so if you use your fingers it will streak. i recommend stippling it on with a MAC 188 brush. I think this foundation only suits oily skin as if you have dry skin the foundation will show it.

I have tried studio fix, colorstay etc etc and I've finally found my HG foundation for oily skin.

I'm a NC25 or NC30 and Tawny was the closest match. I do wish they had more yellow in their foundation as tawny is a little too pink.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2010 7:44:00 PM More reviews by JolieBelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is my n-th review, kept deleting and rewriting because i think i wasn't doing this product justice.

The only complaint i have about it is the packaging. I don't necessarily dislike the pump thing, yeah it's more hygienic blah blah but i honestly sometimes prefer it this way, when i just smear my tiny concealer brush on the inner part of the nozzle rim to pick up the tiniest amount of product for the undereye area...a pump would dispose too much product i'd end up throwing away. Also, the consistency of this foundation works best if you DON'T have a pump because it takes a while to dry out completely, but it does start to set itself instantly, so a pump would release a certain amount of product you might find either excessive or insufficient, depending on your routine, the tools you use, the pace you're applying your makeup, etc.

My problem with the packaging is that the glass being solid (duuuh!) makes it impossible for you to squeeze out even the last drop...which i am seriously planning on doing, this stuff is like liquid gold to me. You have to let it sit upside down to collect the leftovers...which drives me crazy!!! other than that, i love the frosted glass bottle, squared thus 'ergonomic' when i'm traveling.

Now the shades. Unfortunately in Sweden they seem to cater only to very light shades (Bone and stuff) and a weird orange one (Tawny), though most Swedish girls (actually all of 'em..) use tons of self-tanners. Aaanyways.

My color is Ivory Beige which i honestly think is the best match for my natural skintone. However i'm not that worried about the color itself because this foundation is so versatile, it seems to adapt to any skintone and undertone (used my foundation on my friend, she's very light toned). I do like their shades because they seem to cater to almost everyone, which is great.

The coverage- it is amazing for a foundation, but nor surreal. I need another drop of foundation for my undereye area after i applied it on my face, and i split that drop for both my eyes and any blemishes/pimples. It does cover like nothing else does so for a liquid foundation (that is available to everyone, doesn't bear that 'professional' etiquette or something) it is admirable. I will continue using this for as long as i live because nothing covers as well as this one.

The staying power- the second huge quality of this stuff. THIS is out of this world. The coverage, yeah you might have to work on it, one sheer layer may not cover everything if you have major scars or acne, BUT the staying power is amazing. Truly unbelievable.I can't believe this stuff exists in a liquid form in a bottle. I applied it in the morning one day, around 17.00 went to take a nap (and didn't take my makeup off for just a nap..), crisp white bedsheets and fresh pillow cases. NOTHING on them when i woke up. My makeup didn't budge an inch. Holy moly guacamole! seriously, NOTHING compares to this.

Finishing- yeah you have to use a heavy duty moisturizer even if you have oilier skin because this stuff really dries everything out in its 'solidification' process. It's like cement, adheres like crazy and you might end up with dry skin around your eyes or in the corners of the mouth. I use the Nivea blue tin cream and couldn't be happier. DON'T use it with any oil-free primer like Laura Mercier's, or something that cuts oiliness, it will look extremely dry on your nose and forehead at the end of the day. This stuff has that lasting power exactly because its ingredients are calculated to absorb the natural oiliness of the skin and just stay on.

Hands down, THE HG foundation; i never use powder with this one because i find it excessively drying and useless since i'm looking for a dewy, porcelain finish. I'm thinking of purchasing Chanel's Vita Lumiere just for a change, maybe mix it with my ELDW or dab it on the cheeks at the end of the ELDW application...however...

DON'T apply any drugstore foundation/water based foundation together with this one, it will streak like crazy and you'll end up with ashy spots on your face. You can gently dab some other foundation on top, if you're crazy like me lol, for dewiness or whatever your reasons are, it does work, as it works with concealer for example. But don't mix it.

Also, i find the best way to 'fix' this foundation and really bring all its amazing potential out is to gently pat your face with a clean wet sponge at the end of the application (concealer included). The water molecules will 'tame' the foundation's tendency for dryness and give it that fresh, clean and healthy glow.

Will keep repurchasing this stuff FOREVER (i think i already said that, haha!). Thanks to Estee Lauder, i can have my 'face' on for the entire day and not have to worry about touch-ups AT ALL. I highly, highly recommend it- you'll never find anything remotely similar to this product's staying power.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2010 3:13:00 PM More reviews by gypcy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

ok girls if you find ur self touching up even ur whole face you shud try estee lauder double wear thhis is the best foundation I ever used I have combo skin which I have dry cheeks around the chin also and I get break outs around my cheeks !! This foundation has not made me brake out at all ! I use to use mac studio fix because I like the full coverege and that's the only foundation I thought was good and full coverege but it made me break out so I stop uusing it and got estee lauder it's way better it's full coverage and stays on for 15 hrs I love this

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2010 2:47:00 PM More reviews by tapatiadivina4u

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this foundation. I have been using it for about 2 weeks now and love it!!! So far this foundation has not break me out. I break out with MAC studiofix, Revlon Colorstay, so sad. Am MAC NC42 which for some reason looks a bit orangie but with Estee Lauder in shade 4N1 Wheat matches my skin perfectly! Love it so much, my face looks flawless and covers my acne scars and any other blemishes. I even forget about my blemishes until i remove it at night. Love love love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2010 8:00:00 PM More reviews by SiiLLYxMEE

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

Awesome coverage, although I don't really have much to conceal. So I don't know if it'll be defined as "heavy coverage". It evens out my skin tone well & it looks pretty natural IMO. I don't find it cakey or anything & it feels naturally smooth. It's really blendable and light. It can easily be applied by hand but I hate how I get too much of it sometimes because of how the jar opening is like. I use a pressed powder afterwards & throughout the day so it'll make my face look even more radiant and plus, it makes it stay longer :)