February 27, 2015 | 1901 users online

Mascara - BeneFit Cosmetics - They're Real

rated 3.4(1939 reviews)

rated 3 of 5 on 5/11/2013 8:40:00 PM More reviews by louiseannette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

There is definitely a knack to applying this mascara which I haven't quite mastered yet. I got the sample size in the most recent edition of elle UK, excited to try it out, I applied it as soon as I got home to uncurled lashes. My lashes are very straight but pretty long, this mascara only accentuated the straightness by making them look cakey and sticky out- like spiders legs. I tried to add curl by starting right and the root of the lashes but this only created smudges on my eyelid as the brush was loaded with product. The mascara sets quickly so as I tried to gently comb through my lashes, they stuck together and ended up looking sparse and clumpy. On my second attempt, I curled my lashes, brushed off as much product as I could into the tube and applied slowly from root to tip once. This gave much better results but I still found that the stiffness of the product meant that lashes are stuck together rather than defined. The staying power is no doubt very good, but this is at the cost of dry clumpy lashes. I also was disappointed with the packaging- I expected more from benefit as their packaging is usually retro and cute. Perhaps it might work for people with curly eyelashes but I think I will stick to my volumnising and curling mascaras.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/11/2013 5:39:00 PM More reviews by iamjoelle

Got this as a free sample from Sephora; makes my lashes look very long and full. 4 stars because its very difficult to get off, leaves a stubborn waxy coating on my lashes no matter what I do. Maybe I'd buy it ..hard to say as I didn't purchase this--I'm pretty devoted to my $4 NYC mascara.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2013 3:37:00 PM More reviews by curlycuesue

(The following review is based on the free birthday gift I got from Sephora) For my upper lashes, this mascara is a definite no; however, for my bottom lashes, it's amazing! For my uppers, I use Jordana Volumizing mascara, and it's jet black, volumizes, lengthens, defines, is super cheap, and just fabulous! When I tried They're Real on my uppers, even though it separated and defined the lashes, it didn't volumize or amplify at all.. they just looked too "natural". Now even though it was free, I didn't want to throw it out, so I thought why not try it on my lower lashes? I normally don't wear mascara on my lowers, but this has changed that. It separates, defines, and slightly accentuates my lower lashes, giving me that wide-eyed, dolly look. Plus, it stays put and doesn't smudge (though I haven't tested it out in a pool, rain, etc.). I'll keep using this for my lowers until it runs out. Then, I may go out and try Clinique Bottom Lashes.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2013 5:30:00 AM More reviews by SurayaFarrah

I was lucky enough to be given this product by a friend who had used it once and didn't like it... I don't usually bother writing reviews but as this product has mixed reviews I thought I would post one! Have to say, this is the BEST MASCARA I HAVE EVER USED. I have been a loyal Maxfactor Masterpiece Max fan for years but I am well and truly sold! It's super easy to apply, my lashes don't stick together at all (thank god) and it builds up really quickly. I usually have to apply coat after coat of other mascara's but with this one I literally applied 2-3 coats! My eyes looks loads bigger and kinda like I am wearing falsies lol. It gives you that lovely baby doll look (especially with a slick of eyeliner on upper lids only!). I will buying this mascara for the rest of my life, much to the horror of my fiancÚ as it's not cheap but hey ho!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/8/2013 3:31:00 AM More reviews by somnambular

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Such a rubbish mascara. For me, anyway. I got this, like many others, as a sample with my Sephora birthday gift. If you like a lengthening, defining mascara, this might be okay for you. My lashes are naturally long but straight and sparse, so I look for a thickening/volumizing mascara that gives some curl.

They're Real is a very wet mascara with an enormous rubber-bristled brush that has little spiky bits on the end. This type of brush tends to hang onto a ton of mascara and makes application difficult and messy since I have small eyes. A metric ton of mascara comes out on the brush - maybe the packaging is different if you pick up the full-size version, but for me it didn't matter because I hated the formula so much. One coat made my lashes look long and shiny, but grouped/defined them so much it looked like I had a grand total of 5 lashes. Once the mascara dried, it was pretty stiff and made my lashes look stick straight. Two coats was spider-leg city.

Probably going to throw this away, if we're being honest. If you like a lengthening/defining mascara maybe give this a go, but if you're like me and prefer a drier, volumizing formula then run, don't walk away from They're Real.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/6/2013 10:13:00 PM More reviews by Kb777

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I like this mascara a lot. One coat gives a nice, shiny , deep black finish. Two coats can really create a dramatic look, though on occasion it seems to get a little clumpy. The formula lasts a long time though there is a slight thickness to it that makes it a little sloppy. That said it definitely seems to lengthen.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/6/2013 5:22:00 PM More reviews by katieagnew

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

"They're Real" mascara was a massive disappointment. I've tried an array of mascaras, from Urban Decay to Maybelline to Dior; this was one of the worst. Clumpy, gloopy and dried out within a week even though the tub was only open when applying the mascara i.e once or twice a day for a matter of minutes. Definitely would not recommend I love Benefit but hate this mascara. Go for Dior Blackout or Maybelline Rocket Volume!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/6/2013 3:51:00 PM More reviews by Aliciaprior

Got given as a free sample, defiantly going to go out and buy it, long full lashes after just 2-3 coats !

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2013 2:30:00 AM More reviews by lesliexbane

This is my holy grail mascara!!! I just wish it wasn't so pricey :(

rated 4 of 5 on 5/5/2013 4:15:00 PM More reviews by bbBearBear

I got this from my Sephora birthday kit. Overall, I like the results. It's not a dramatic mascara, but a bit of volumizing & mostly lengthens. Like other reviewers have said, my lashes stick together too, however I always use a metal teeth lash comb and it solves the issue. Instead of applying a 2nd coat after the 1st coat is dry, I find that i can sweep multiple times to build up the coverage while it's wet. Not a lot of black bits/ fall out I've experienced, which is big thumbs up, because I hate some mascara that has a lot of fiber and it falls all over my face / eyelids in the middle of the day. The tip of the brush just has too much mascara and I never attempt to use the tip to lengthen just as the package suggested. Smudging is minimal. It's much better than Clinique High Impact mascara, and many other Japanese mascaras that I've adored for many years. I will purchase full size because the most important thing for me is to stay put w/out smudging. This mascara achieves this!! Second is no/ little fall out.