November 27, 2014 | 1413 users online

Mascara - BeneFit Cosmetics - They're Real

rated 2 of 5 on 2/17/2013 9:51:00 PM More reviews by mcasarez

The first tube worked fine. However into 3 wks w the second tube... Clumping, hard to completely remove. And The last 4 days I have noticed the center of my lashes have brake off.. Not sure if the formula changed but this mascara is the only thing I have used on my lashes.. Not good

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2013 12:51:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Benefit's They're Real! is a wildly popular. Never have I ever wanted to try a mascara so badly, so I was overjoyed to get a mini tube as a gift with purchase at Ulta. Benefit says that this mascara will "lengthen, curl, volumize, lift, and separate. Our jet black, long wearing formula won't smudge or dry out. A specially designed brush reveals lashes you never knew you had!" Benefit claims that their consumer panelists say "94% more visible lift and volume", "90% base to tip curl" and "100% say long wearing results". Benefit's They're Real! mascara retails for $23 for an 8.5g (.3oz) tube. Don't want to invest in a full size? This mascara is also available in a $10 mini tube, and in multiple Benefit value kits. It's also frequently offered as a gift with purchase. Benefit does not test on animals. This mascara was made in France. Benefit products can be purchased through the brand's website, at Benefit counters and free standing boutiques, Sephora, and Ulta.
Like just about every Benefit product, They're Real! comes in pretty cute packaging. The mascara comes in a black cardboard box. The name of the product is printed on the front of the box, clinical claims and a "before and after" photo can be found on the side of the box. Directions and a full ingredient list are offered on the back of the box. The mascara's tube is grey and topped with a silver metal cap. The name of the mascara is printed vertically on the tube in black and orange lettering.
What's supposed to make They're Real! so special is the brush. They're Real!'s brush is quite large, about an inch long. The rubber bristles are pretty average and uniform in length, except at the tip of the brush, which comes to a rounded poit. The bristles on the tip are significantly longer than the ones on the body of the brush; these longer bristles are meant to separate and catch the shortest lashes. These elongated bristles are loaded with product and can be difficult to clean off. Benefit has a suggested method for using this unique brush. You're meant to wiggle and sweep the brush from root to tip, as usual, but you're then meant to turn the brush vertically and use the rounded tip to separate and add lift to the lashes.
So how does that work out for me? Not so well, sadly. I find Benefit's They're Real! very clumpy, heavy, and hard on the lashes. One coat of this mascara looks nice, but doesn't deliver the dramatic false lash look Benefit promises. Well, that's an easy fix right? Just apply another coat or two. It's not that simple with They're Real!, this mascara begins to clump immediately when I begin to apply the second coat. I've tried a few application methods, including the one suggested by Benefit, all with no luck. The formula is very heavy and quite stiff on the lashes, causing my lashes to lose any curl they had and stick almost straight out. They're Real! is quite lengthening, but the length is canceled out by the heavy formula. This mascara also leaves weird little balls of product at the tips of my lashes that eventually flake off if I don't manually remove them. So They're Real doesn't give me dramatic lashes, but does it live up to the long wearing claim? Oh my yes. Aside from the weird clumps on the tips of the lashes, They're Real stays in place all day. It's actually pretty difficult to remove even with my best makeup remover. I don't think this mascara is truly waterproof, but it certainly performs that way.
Benefit's They're Real! is one of their bestselling, most buzzed about products. Its been recommended to be by friends and bloggers alike. I'm so disappointed that it didn't work out for me. Application can take some time and practicae. The formula doesn't layer well, more than two light coats and my lashes stick together. The length They're Real delivers is awesome, but they stiff, heavy formula uncurls my lashes, and what good is length without curl? If you're looking for a super long lasting but non-waterproof mascara, Benefit's They're Real! might be a good choice for you. I wouldn't repurchase this mascara, I'll stick to BadGal Lash when it comes to Benefit mascaras. I really wish They're Real! was as great as it is for almost every one else. If you're looking to try this mascara out, check your local Sephora or Ulta for the mini tube first.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/13/2013 10:11:00 AM More reviews by EozS

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I got this by accident when I ordered something else, and the vendor let me keep the mascara.
Pros:
- Really does make your lashes look mega long
- Brush works well, no clumps
- Gives your lashes some curl without using a curler
- So far, the formula seems to be staying nice and liquidy
Cons:
- The little tip of the brush has some little bristles as well (to get your corner lashes) but I find the mascara tends to stay stuck in these bristles so you get a big glob on your brush that you have to wipe off.
- It gives you what I call "spider lashes". I don't know how else to describe them, I guess they remind me of spider legs? Long, and dark, but still kind of thin-looking. Some people like that, so that might be a "pro" in your books. I prefer my lashes to look a bit shorter (mine are naturally long anyway) and thicker.
- Minor flaking (deal breaker for me)

In conclusion: this is an ok mascara. I can see a lot of people liking it. I don't think it does anything any other decent lengthening mascara can't do, but this one is as good as any. I wouldn't buy it again because it's not my jam and I wont use the tube I have unless I'm really desperate.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/12/2013 9:31:00 PM More reviews by ohcaitlin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This took me a bit of getting used to in order to perfect utilizing it's capabilities. The brush is wonderful, a thick, spiky little brush with a spiky ball on the end great for the outermost lashes. I apply it with one coat to separate, allow to dry (I'll do my blush in the mean time) then apply a hefty second coat. This works wonderfully for thin sparse lashes to add volume curl & depth. Is suggest purchasing in America for $21 instead of Canada for $29 plus 13% tax :/! Canadian ladies, any upcoming trips to just south of the American border PLEASE buy at least two!

rated 2 of 5 on 2/12/2013 2:39:00 PM More reviews by adm71csu

i received this in this year's birthday gift from sephora. i've read the mixed reviews on here but i was happy to get it to try it for myself. i must say i'm super disappointed with this product. although it adds length, it makes my lashes clump together and actually straightens their natural curl. i hated it. then i tried it layered over my smashbox mascara and then i could see it added length without leaving a clumpy mess. i would not buy this. all the drugstore brands i've used before have been way better and the price of this bad mascara is ridiculous.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/9/2013 4:37:00 PM More reviews by bichmac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this mascara as a free birthday gift sample from Sephora, along with Benefit's Watt's Up. The first thing that I noticed is that the formula is very different from regular mascaras. It seems almost waxy, like it coats your lashes rather than paints them as a lot of mascaras will smudge under my eyes, but this one did not.

I like and hate the wand. I like it because it is innovative with the bristles on the domed tip, which allows for more precise separation of the lashes. This being said, I have very short, sparse and thin black lashes so prefer a wand with more bristles, which makes my lashes look thicker. This wand only makes my lashes look long, I usually top it up with another mascara.

I would probably not buy this mascara at full price as I don't love it and there are A LOT of good drug store mascaras. I would take it again if it were free :D

rated 3 of 5 on 2/9/2013 4:17:00 PM More reviews by jenfercl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This mascara is sticky and and very wet! It is not good for people with long lashes.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2013 2:52:00 PM More reviews by bellasera973

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Wow, I guess I'm in the minority here.

This mascara is very wet, and immediately weighed down AND got rid of the small amount of curl I achieved with my eyelash curler. It also clumped my little lashes together, causing them to look like 10, thick, spider legs.

I have fine, straight lashes to begin with, so for anyone out there with the same kind of lashes as me, I strongly do not recommend this mascara.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2013 5:30:00 AM More reviews by ALF1969

At last I have found a mascara that doesn't flake into my eyes by the evening, that doesn't give me panda eyes, that does a decent job and, most importantly, that I'm not allergic to. If you don't have sensitive eyes and don't worry about a bit of flaking then there will be better and certainly cheaper mascaras out there for you. This mascara does lengthen and thicken but is not buildable - once it is dry applying another coat results in spidery clumpiness instead of natural long lashes.
The wand is good for applying to top lashes and there is a ball on the end for getting to the corners and for bottom lashes. Make sure you wipe off the excess or it can clump and cake.
For my sensitive eyes I haven't found a better mascara.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2013 7:56:00 PM More reviews by shaesquared

I got this in a sample size through one of their holiday kits and I'm in LOVE- this mascara is perfect for getting those teeny tiny bottom lashes! It's precise brush is great for separating every lash, and the formula delivers great length. However, this easily comes off with water- not good when working out or raining outside.