BeneFit Cosmetics They're Real

3.4

2090 reviews

Water (Aqua), Paraffin, Polybutene, Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, C18-36 Acid Triglyceride, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Vp/Eicosene Copolymer, Acacia Senegal Gum, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Phenoxyethanol, Tetrasodium Edta, Butylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Laureth-12 Sulfate, Glycerin, Potassium Sorbate, Sericin, Calcium Chloride, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tilia Tomentosa Bud Extract, Citric Acid, Bht, Sorbic Acid. [+/-: Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499), Ultramarines (Ci 77007), Chromium Oxide Greens (Ci 77288), Chromium Hydroxide Green (Ci 77289), Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891)]. N° 05827/N

on 7/15/2013 4:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I received this as part of my birthday gift from Sephora. I have to say that it takes some getting used to and you do have to be somewhat careful as to how you apply it, but once I got the hang of it I really loved it. The first time I applied, I applied 3 separate coats. I did that mostly out of habit, because with some DS mascaras I use (and that's pretty much ALL I use) I usually have to apply that much. I was NOT impressed. My lashes looked clumpy, stuck together, and spidery. I couldn't understand what the hype was all about (all I had read at that point were the reviews on sephora.com which made it sound like the best mascara ever made) but I wanted to keep trying it. I gradually learned that the key to applying this mascara is NOT to overdo it. I apply one coat and that's it. That separates my lashes and lengthens and volumizes beautifully. They look soooo long and thick. I use Careprost (generic Latisse) so my lashes are fairly long and have a bit of a natural curl to them. This mascara emphasizes them so much! And I love that it lasts all day; my lashes never fall or start to look naked. No flaking or smudging. I do plan on purchasing a full size tube when my sample runs out. It's kind of a pain for me because I don't live near a Sephora and will have to order it every time I run out, but I think it's worth it.

on 7/14/2013 11:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Got this in a sample size to try out because I keep cautiously approaching the Benefit counter and the 180 dB thumping music, onslaught of sickeningly contrived kitsch and stripper-makeup SAs with chola eyebrows make me too overwrought to think straight. Anyway, I figured that because I'd lurked around their counter about four times I should buy SOMETHING to make them think I'm not a shop lifter.

This mascara is just okay. Drugstore quality, but not as good as all drugstore mascaras. It has good staying power and doesn't irritate my eyes as much as other brands, which is nice. It also doesn't flake off or transfer onto your lower lid.

However, it's not particularly lengthening, not particularly volumizing, and makes your lashes look gunky and fake. I'm a supporter of understated, natural mascaras and They're Real is definitely NOT that. However, it's not particularly dramatic or transformative either.

The packaging is nice, and the applicator is made from a sturdy plastic rather than from dinky bristles. I'll give Benefit points for that.

Glad I got the small size--would not purchase again.

on 7/14/2013 11:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Made my lashes look REAL-ly spidery and all around crappy. I have the deluxe mini that comes with this year's Sephora birthday gift. I was SO excited to try this super-hyped mascara. To me, it's honestly nothing special even in comparison to my drugstore mascaras. It does lengthen, but the formula is wet enough to stick my lashes together and form spider lashes, regardless of the technique I use to apply it. I have to really work with this mascara to get minimal clumping. I did not notice much smudging though, even in the heat. For the price tag, I wouldn't give this one a 2nd chance.

on 7/14/2013 10:01:00 PM

I got a sample size of this from Sephora and I am glad I did not splurge on the full-sized product. This product can lengthen your lashes almost infinitely. The black is a very nice color (quite black) but the one thing I find unusual about this mascara is that it does not thicken my lashes at all. My lashes are not particularly spindly, but they look like spider's legs when they are one centimeter long and very thin. This mascara also has a tendency to clump after a coat or two. I would not repurchase this mascara.

EDIT: After giving it a few more shots, I would like to reiterate that I hate this spidery mascara!

on 7/14/2013 8:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I'm involved in a love/hate relationship with this mascara. I will start with the bad. My overall rating was 4/5, ONLY because a quality I look for in mascara is easy to take off with make up wipes. I tend to remove my makeup when I'm half asleep because I procrastinate. This mascara is very hard to remove. I've tried different brands of wipes, but the mascara is the problem. On a good note, I don't have to curl my eyelashes to wear They're Real. My eyelashes are pin straight and short, but very full. As soon as I apply this mascara, my eyelashes come to life. It doesn't fail during sweaty days or long days. I get a TON of compliments when I wear it. If you have patience to clean your face, go ahead. If not, try Babydoll from YSL. That's my new pick.

on 7/14/2013 5:16:00 PM

I've always used Clinique high impact mascara , but got a gift voucher for house of Fraser so decided to try this mascara . I would say its the same as Clinique , very good , doesn't clump, gives really long and thick lashes , would buy again :-) best mascara joint with high impact

on 7/13/2013 1:10:00 PM

It's a good mascara, long lasting, good formula and best packaging. But it's very hard to remove and even when you think you've made it, you're going to wake up and look like a panda. I don't think I'm going to buy it again, I prefer cover girl/max factor one with the same kind of applicator , but lighter so no panda effect!

A premium mascara that sells for over $20, but it's pretty worth it.

Lengthens really well AND looks natural, as the product promises. Your lashes will look amazing.

Doesn't clump, flake or smudge.
I thought it smudges, but that might be my liner, and not the mascara. Everyone else is saying it doesn't smudge, so I'd go with them on that; I always wear shadow and liner, while some people might just wear the mascara, so they can really tell if the mascara smudges or not.

on 7/13/2013 8:00:00 AM

I'm really impressed with this! Doesn't smudge at all, it's very pigmented, and both thickening and lengthening. Great for girls with poor lashes like me!

on 7/13/2013 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I received this as a gift for my birthday at Sephora. I seriously don't like it! It doesn't make my eyelashes long and it flakes:/ I prefer to wear my Loreal Telescopic in carbon black:)

Video Reviews & Tutorials