October 1, 2014 | 1580 users online

Moisturizers - Desert Essence - Jojoba Oil - 100% pure

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2003 4:28:00 PM More reviews by lapin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Jojoba oil is a staple for me. Period. Like the other reviewers have said, I was scared to put an oil (or oil-like substance, since technically this is a liquid wax ester) on my already oily, breakout-prone skin, but this has proved that not all oils are bad (in fact, I've found I can tolerate oils pretty well, like hazelnut).
I've been using a drop or two in the morning, patted over my face that's still damp from toning (I use flower waters), and wait a few minutes. Then to help with the finish of it, and help with some of the natural sheen of it, sometimes I'll pat something silicone-based over my t-zone, like PC Skin Balancing Moisturizer or Origins Matte Scientist. And that's it. I use it around my eyes, too. At night I use it more liberally and don't use anything additionally on my t-zone.
My skin is a lot calmer since using jojoba oil (I've been using it on and off for over a year, more 'on' these days). I'm thinking part of why this is is because I'm not using so many products with artificial ingredients in them, especially when it comes to emulsifiers. These are in 95% of moisturizers, and their job is to keep the ingredients mixed together, and to also help with penetration of the ingredients into the skin. As a side effect, they break down the skin's natural barrier, which I've read can lead to more irritation and breakouts. Personally, I'm tired of feeling 'raw' after using a moisturizer. The jojoba oil soothes my face and helps it to feel protected, without feeling coated and suffocated. And I'm not breaking out as much.
Sorry for the length of this review, I'm just really happy to share my experience with it. By the way, I've been getting it from mountainroseherbs.com. The oil is organic golden (meaning unrefined) jojoba oil, and it's the best I've tried. The price is great, too. I just transfer it into an amber bottle to protect it better, although it's pretty stable on it's own.
*edit* I don't really use this much anymore these days, but not because I don't like it anymore, but only because I'm using other things. I don't believe jojoba to be a miracle, but I do like it as an ingredient, and look for it in products that I buy. I like a little bit more in the way of active products these days (sunscreen, retinol, light serums).

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2003 6:35:00 PM More reviews by agarber

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff is great. I tried it based on other reviews here, and I couldn't agree more. I couldn't believe I was putting oil on my face, but it made my face so smooth. The only downside is the packaging, but this will be a lifetime keeper in my medicine cabinet. I mix a few drops in my facial moisturizer, and in my body lotion. Also, it removes my eye makeup, which is not waterproof.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2003 3:25:00 PM More reviews by Mindy13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Jojoba oil is THE best thing I have ever put on my face. After all of the searching for something to control my acne yet give me a glow without drying me out...that time has finally come. This stuff has made a huge difference in my pore size, less breakouts, and overall glow. Its dirt cheap too...
I feel that this is skincare's best kept secret. I try to tell everyone I can about it. To think something so simple could provide this much improvement!
The MUA reviews helped me to decide and go ahead and order it. I get it on ebay for $6.75 for 8 oz. I'm going to now start adding other EO's and come up with a jojoba oil blend for added enhancements. If you have any doubts in this product...don't decide until you try. get to the closest health food store and get some today.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2003 12:01:00 AM More reviews by Janemarie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

TERRIFIC!!! I, too, read the reviews, looking for a moisturizer that 'does it all' - and jojoba oil does! One week's time, and the three large cyst-like bumps I had on the side of my cheek are practically gone (and NOTHING ever worked on them - I've had them for practically a year)! It feels like it just sits on the skin, but my makeup goes on smooth over it. I use it just before bed, and right after my shower in the morning. This is so much IT that I HAD to write a review!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2003 7:44:00 AM More reviews by violinistgirl

Hooray! My skin mauled by years of Tazorac and benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid is beaming after just days of using this moisturizer! Superduperlight-mattifying-fancy-pants formulas for my oily t-zone and acne just weren't enough for my dry flaky medicated areas. With a heavier moisturizer, I only ended up with more oil and more zits and more chaos.
Like others MUAers, I'm absolutely impressed this product doesn't cause breakouts or lead to a slick, greasy, shiny face. What I have now is softer, smoother, calmer skin. Finally something with which I am HAPPY. Wonderful! You must give this a try!!!! --one suggestion: avoid the eyelids when moisturizing--my (Stila) eyeshadow that usually stays on well creased within a few hours due to the oil, even after a preparation and finish with translucent powder--

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2003 11:56:00 AM More reviews by lisadoc

After reading all these wonderful reviews on how great this product is. I got convinced and went out and bought it (Sun Harvest) 7.99
for a small bottle. Not Bad! I've only used it for 2 nites now.... So far my skin is soft as a baby's bottom and I haven't worn that much makeup lately. So I would say it's working and fast. It's also great for dry hair! I will be repurchasing. You should Give this a try!**UPDATE** It has been a little over two weeks since using this product and I must say I bought this because I didnt have much $$ for my regular HG moisturizer. And man, I am so impressed with this stuff!! I have had NO breakouts my skin is so soft and even makes my makeup look clean. I use this for my hair, makeup primer, moistuizer, and on those dry patches on my skin. This is such a WONDERFUL product that i even went out and bought sweet almond oil and add a drop or two to this oil. Good results! I dont think I can live without this stuff --- i highly recommend! I took off one lippie because the packaging sux! So i use a small bottle with a dropper. way better!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2003 8:03:00 AM More reviews by slinky501

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I tried this product after reading other reviews on here (I'd never heard of it before), for use on my oily/combination/spot-prone skin that had been going through a bad patch and just wouldn't seem to calm down and clear-up. Well, I've only been using it as a night time moisturiser for less than a week but already I've seen a HUGE improvement in my skin- in the morning when I get up it looks clear, smooth and supple. I haven't had any new spots or breakouts since I've been using it and the old ones are beginning to fade. My pores are no longer blocked and as a result look smaller. I also gave up smoking a couple of weeks ago, which I'm sure has helped as well, but I'm sure that I noticed a real difference when I changed to this product. It's cheap, it's not gimmiky, and is 100% natural with no chemicals or other crap that might stress your skin out- I would definitely recommend it. The only downside is the bottle, which is a bit silly, but even that doesn't pose any massive problems if I'm careful.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2003 10:02:00 PM More reviews by momerath

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Another one I read about on the boards and in Productville. This one lives up to all the hype. It's a great moisturizer for my oily/sensitive skin. It doesn't leave my face oily and it's great to use under makeup or alone. Seems counterintuitive to use oil on oily skin, but this doesn't clog my pores or make me break out. It makes my skin produce less oil. It's cheap too. The bottle sucks, so I'm buying a new one with an eyedropper. Otherwise I am completely happy.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/20/2003 10:03:00 AM More reviews by pixash

I have oily to combination skin, and this has not made me more oily. Instead, my makeup stays on so much more better and longer, and it helps in my dry areas(esp when its dry due to acne treatment creams). Im still waiting to see if it is going to cause any zits on my face. I have breakouts, but I already had them before I used jojoba oil. Overall, it seems to last a long time, and I think its a good natural replace for synthetic and much more costly moisturiser!
UPDATE=Using this regularly and this has aggravated my breakouts and im not sure if its caused by this or my new cleanser, but I suspect this is the culprit! what a pity...

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2003 12:02:00 PM More reviews by Kathyq

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I read the reviews of other MUA members. I went to my local natural food store and purchased same. I have the pregnancy mask and have been using products prescribed by my dermatologist which have dried out my skin. I now mix a few drops of the Jojoba Oil in with my broad sprectrum sunscreen and use it on my face as a moisturizer. I then use the new Cornsilk shine control Invisible Mattifying powerder in Translucent (this powder is great for someone who has an olive complextion. It reminds me of T-Lerec Bananne powder which is very expensive.) For instance, I went to my dentist and the dental assistant commented how beutiful my makeup was while she was cleaning my teeth. I of course was under a hugh light where she could see every flaw. I am using the Jojoba Oil every day and it gives just a nice sheen after you have applied your make-up. Note, after you use the Jojoba Oil you really need to use powder. I don't think I will go back to the traditional moisturizers. Thanks MUA and others out there who have recommended Jojoba Oil. I will continue to repurchase this product