July 30, 2014 | 2041 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2010 4:26:00 PM More reviews by Wrenaria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This foundation is a moderate to full coverage makeup, but it does not have to look heavy! It's all about how you apply and blend it! And since a lot of low reviews complain about it drying too fast/spilling out too much/looking too heavy, I am going to throw out a few tips, since it took me a few days to get the application to work for me and not look overdone.

#1: BUY A MAC FOUNDATION PUMP! It's the best purchase you can make for this particular foundation and I can do my whole face in 1 pump (some people might need two). Fits the bottle perfectly, even if it's not super pretty.

#2: USE A FOUNDATION BRUSH! A cosmetic sponge would probably work too, but use a fresh one every day to avoid bacteria buildup (which can cause breakouts). (EDIT: I actually use a combination of fingers/flat-top brush now - I spread it over my fingers and literally pat it on my face, then blend with the flat-top foundation brush, and it looks the most natural/smooth for me)

#3: USE SMALL QUANTITIES! Pump the foundation onto the back of your (clean) hand. Dip the tip of your brush into the foundation and blend that small amount onto your face in short, brisk strokes - almost more like dabs - until it is evenly distributed and blended. If you do it in sections like this, it will not dry before your blend it, and you will have much more control over how it blends. (EDIT: Even when applying with fingers I only use 1-1.5 pumps to cover my whole face).

#4 USE IT WHERE YOU NEED IT! This foundation is buildable, so you can go back over sections that need more cover and blend it out into the first layer. I tend to keep it thin across my nose/upper cheeks/forehead and build a little more over the blemishes/scars I have in my chin area/lower cheeks.

It took me a few days to figure out how to do this properly and not look overdone/plasticky. This stuff truly lasts all day and does not slide, and now that I've got a technique down that works for me, I love this stuff. I use a bit of blush on the cheeks and a touch of bronzer now that it's heading into summer, but don't feel the need for powder. This may be my new HG foundation now, and my face is actually clearing up a bit since I stopped using MAC (their Studio Fix powder broke me out fiercely).

If this is still too heavy for you, try Double Wear Light. It has just as good staying power, but more natural coverage. You can see my review on it, if you're curious.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/19/2010 9:00:00 PM More reviews by jasminesnow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I purchased this over a year ago after hearing it would be really good on my oily, acne prone skin. A couple of people who look amazing use it, and I have no idea how it works so well for them as it was awful on me, and the person I passed it on to, after trying it once and knowing I wouldn't wear it again. It felt thick on the skin and dry, and very obvious like a mask. The colour didn't match well, and I was very disappointed with it after hearing great things. Not fond of the bottle as it can all easily spill out while trying to get the right amount. I didn't like the smell either.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/19/2010 6:59:00 PM More reviews by Shotgun

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this product! For years, I've had to blot my skin 3-4 times a day because of my oily skin. I've tried lots of different foundations, including Revlon's ColorStay, Clinique, Ultima II, Makeup Forever, etc. After reading a bunch of reviews online about Estee Lauder's Double Wear, I decided to try it. My skin's quite light (I'm an NC20 in MAC), so I ended up with Ecru. I tried Shell, but it was way too pink for my half-Asian skin (I'm half-Asian, half-Caucasian). This stuff lasted all day and felt great. I just dust some loose powder over it, and I'm good to go. Sometimes, if it's a humid day, I'll feel a little oily, but my skin doesn't *look* oily. I occasionally blot, but I need to do it only once, which is awesome.

I also tried EL Double Wear Light, and although I liked it, and the lightest colour is a slightly better match than the Ecru, I didn't like the coverage. I have some dark marks from old acne, and the regular Double Wear covers them so much better! In addition, I haven't had a single breakout since I started using this stuff. I do think you have to have pretty oily skin to wear this, as I imagine it would look heavy if you were dry.

The packaging isn't great as it's next to impossible to prevent contamination. A lot of other people have commented on the less-than-stellar packaging, too. I bought a pump from MAC (about $7 Cdn), and it works perfectly. Another thing I did is I bought Sephora's platinum foundation brush, and I use that to apply the foundation--it does a great job of evening it out and making my skin look pretty damn fantastic!

In addition to the packaging, I didn't give it a perfect 5 rating as the foundation is tough to take off. Usually I have to cleanse my skin twice to get it all off. Also, I don't buy my EL in Canada, I get it in the States. It's $43 Cdn and $34 US. Huh? Despite all that, though, it's totally worth it, and I plan to continue buying this (I'm on my second bottle, and am buying a third in a couple of weeks).

UPDATE: I've worn this long enough now that I can definitively say it doesn't break me out. I still get pimples at 37 :( but DW hasn't caused any. A total bonus for me! And the price has gone up! It's now $35 US. Sigh.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/18/2010 1:58:00 PM More reviews by Ververa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Yes, it offers a full coverage and stays on the face all day long. But, unfortunately, this product is not for me – I could not blend it properly (it dried too fast) and it looked so artificial on me. I also look unusually pale on the pictures where I'm wearing it (I think somebody on here mentioned that too!) even though a SA matched a shade for me. However, I gave this foundation to my mom and it looked really good on her.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2010 10:44:00 PM More reviews by misscruella16

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This wore off on me throughout the day and my skin isnt even that oily., and its not really full coverage either. I prefer Revlon Colorstay

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2010 12:55:00 PM More reviews by carlafd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The BEST foundation. My HG. It is medium to full coverage and it can save your life when you have bad skin or break outs. It has an amazing staying power and when I wear it it remains looking the same for 16 hours. The only bad thing for people with drier skin is that it can dry you skin a little bit, so when my skin is drier I can't use it on a daily basis. One of the best foundations up there for someone who doesn´t have good skin but wants to look flawless. I think it works best with a stippling brush (like a 187 or something), because when I apply it with it it does look natural and airbrushed. If applied with a foundation brush (like a 190) can look a little bit cakey if you're not careful.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2010 11:46:00 AM More reviews by JCMR

This foundation is really good, you don't need to 're-touch' it at all and it covers a host of imperfections. No parabens either as far as I can see from the ingredients list.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/11/2010 4:38:00 AM More reviews by YourCoff1nOrM1ne

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I think i quite like this product, im nw25(sort of) and the consultant gave me ecru and i was pretty pleased with it, as long as i wore my Napoleon camera finish powder (look1) on top.

it lasts a good 6 hours or so, feels fine on and doesn't seem to separate on me at all, so that is a winner.

not a fan of the bottle, nor the price. Might just keep an eye out on strawberrynet for this one!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2010 8:31:00 PM More reviews by Hothead

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I agree with the prior review -- there is way too much hype on this product.

If I want to feel masklike, this is the product I would pick. If I want the wrong color, I will pick this foundation. EL has a lot of foundations, and this one, imo is not the best -- also I have found that it can occlude pores and thus create some skin distress (i.e. whiteheads and pimples). If you take any pictures with this product you will get a whitish halo effect on the pics... of course, photoshop will help it out but it is not a clean look.

not a bad product but not the best either as EL has some better foundations.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/10/2010 6:57:00 PM More reviews by labellemaldo

I don't get the hype on this foundation. The color range is terrible. I'm an NC40 in MAC and nothing came close to matching my skin color, leaving a pinky tone to my face.

It also felt like I was wearing a mask on my face, an obvious appearance of a cakey foundation on my face. It reminded me of a porcelain doll, or the women from back in the 1800's in those big dresses. yuk!

Did it stay on my face as it claims to do? That's a definite yes! Unless you buy their makeup remover, that junk does NOT come off properly. I thought I got it all off the first few days but after I bought the Estee Lauder makeup remover lotion, woah, I was shocked at how much more foundation I removed off my face. It grossed me out as I am a fanatic about cleaning my face before bedtime.

In my opinion, a more dewey natural look is so much more attractive than the porcelain matte appearance that this foundation gives. A positive note though, the only good thing about this foundation is that Estee Lauder refunded my money!