August 23, 2014 | 1954 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2010 11:02:00 AM More reviews by Kathy123

I tried this foundation just recently and I fell in love with it. One word of caution is that you should try the foundation on your face to see how it looks versus on your hand or inner wrist. I also suggest that you still use a primer like L'Oreal underneath. This will get you a flawless and very natural skin. This foundation unlike others does not look fake or cakey although it gives a great coverage. Also, the foundation being of great quality, has improved my skin tone and texture altogether. I am NC 30 and I use Tawny. This shade has enough yellow to blend into my neck which has a different shade than my face. I do not set with powder and it stays until I wash it off. I can go on living with this foundation for days and it stays put. Remove it with an oil based cleanser or mix some Vitamin E in liquid with your cleanser to take this off. Overall, this is a dream for people with oily skin-

rated 2 of 5 on 5/30/2010 1:26:00 PM More reviews by JSX

After reading excellen reviews about thisproduct, I decided to splash out and buy it, however was very dissapointed. I have combintion fair skin, and used colour bone. It was a pefect match to my skin which I was pleased with, although I found it impossible to blend it tying foundation brushes, sponges and my fingers. Is consistecy was far too thick and it really showed my dry patches around my cheeks. I used a small amount which was enough, but it was far too drying for my skin which I don't usually find. On the plus side, it lasted the longest a foundation has ever lasted, through water and oil on my face. The packaiging isn't great and the glass bottle makes it difficult to carry round.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2010 7:47:00 AM More reviews by hotmom37

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product blows away my former hg, Colorstay. I wear Linen and it is a perfect creamy color that stays all day, doesn't clog pores, has exceptional coverage, but doesn't look matte or chalky. I went to an amusement park yesterday in 90 degree heat and this stuff lasted! Gorgeous and worth the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2010 9:48:00 AM More reviews by November185

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

This foundation has taken the place of my Studio Fix Fluid! I love it! It is the only foundation that has looked good in direct sunlight. For me, this is huge-I would do my makeup and look good in my bathroom mirror, but when I would go outside, the color match and texture would be completely off. With this foundation, I look good in and outdoors. In this foundation I wear 6W1-rich ginger which is perfect; in SFF I wore NC50 because the NC45 seemed too light, but the color is way too dark on me. I just don't have a match in MAC.
I also have the oiliest skin in the world-even SFF would melt off me within 3 hours. With this foundation, I don't blot once. I go to work at 8:30am and when I take my makeup off at 10pm it is still flawless. The only cons I have about this foundation are that it doesn't blend the best (I find it goes on best with fingers) and it is expensive for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2010 6:34:00 PM More reviews by GiveMeChocolate

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

So, having used this foundation for a few months now, I think the time has come to write a review.
I am someone that buys foundation after foundation trying to find the right one.
First let me explain my skin type... it's oily, especially in the t-zone and the sides of my nose. My biggest problem with foundations is after a couple of hours I can scratch my face, and it will leave a tide line, not attractive.

I had read many reviews about this foundation and was wary about buying it due to the expensive price, I needn't have worried though as when I went to the counter the sales assistant gave me a sample which lasted quite a while to try out, so no one has an excuse not to try it!
I use this in the colour 'ecru', I'm not sure this colour would match a lot of people, as it looks very orangey-yellow coloured in the bottle. I am about an nc20 and am a mixture of irish and spanish, so therefore have quite a strange pale-yet-olivey skin tone and this matches me very well. I'd recommend getting a sample even if you intend to buy the foundation just to check the colour as the lights in department stores can be misleading.

Onto the foundation, I've tried pretty much every way I can think of to apply this foundation, and this way I have found is the best:
Step 1 - cleanse, tone, moisturise. Prime if you want to, I find the foundation goes even nicer with a primer (I use the L'oreal studio secret one in a tub, but I don't use this every day, it looks fine without too)
Step 2 - take a DAMP make-up sponge, put the foundation onto the back of your hand and stipple on your face using the damp sponge. DON'T wipe it, just stipple it in.
Step 3 - leave the foundation a little, don't apply powder straight away as it's a bit tacky untill it sets and the powder will cake.
Step 4- powder. I use Maybelline dream matte powder.

I really wouldn't recommend using a foundation brush as this seemed to make it quite cakey, yet not provide enough coverage. Applied damp with a sponge this looks flawless, it also applies well using fingers.
I have tried using other foundations in order to not use this up so quicky, but I break out whenever I go back to my old foundations. I've had a lot of trouble with breakouts in the past which have stopped since I started using this. I think it may be because it's a better quality of product.
This is a long wear foundation so do make sure you remove it properly, make-up wipes probably wont cut it.
I really do recommend this!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2010 8:54:00 AM More reviews by katrina02

It's a great foundation if you are after full coverage. I've been using it for years and i love it. If you have dry skin then use a good moisturiser before applying it. Few people recommend Revlon Colour Stay and said that it's similar but cheaper but i hated it! It felt like a mask and made my skin so dry so i'm sticking with this one. I found that it's the only foundation that doesn't rub off and stays on my face for hours. The down side.... it makes me look like a ghost in photos taken at night! :( That's why i gave it 4 stars.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/23/2010 12:01:00 AM More reviews by ilikeyellow123

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I loved this at first, until i started noticing the completley off colour when i stepped outside. i loved the coverage but it needs a hefty moisturizer under it. Feels kinda masky and heavy which i didnt realise until i tried different foundations again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2010 4:26:00 PM More reviews by Wrenaria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This foundation is a moderate to full coverage makeup, but it does not have to look heavy! It's all about how you apply and blend it! And since a lot of low reviews complain about it drying too fast/spilling out too much/looking too heavy, I am going to throw out a few tips, since it took me a few days to get the application to work for me and not look overdone.

#1: BUY A MAC FOUNDATION PUMP! It's the best purchase you can make for this particular foundation and I can do my whole face in 1 pump (some people might need two). Fits the bottle perfectly, even if it's not super pretty.

#2: USE A FOUNDATION BRUSH! A cosmetic sponge would probably work too, but use a fresh one every day to avoid bacteria buildup (which can cause breakouts). (EDIT: I actually use a combination of fingers/flat-top brush now - I spread it over my fingers and literally pat it on my face, then blend with the flat-top foundation brush, and it looks the most natural/smooth for me)

#3: USE SMALL QUANTITIES! Pump the foundation onto the back of your (clean) hand. Dip the tip of your brush into the foundation and blend that small amount onto your face in short, brisk strokes - almost more like dabs - until it is evenly distributed and blended. If you do it in sections like this, it will not dry before your blend it, and you will have much more control over how it blends. (EDIT: Even when applying with fingers I only use 1-1.5 pumps to cover my whole face).

#4 USE IT WHERE YOU NEED IT! This foundation is buildable, so you can go back over sections that need more cover and blend it out into the first layer. I tend to keep it thin across my nose/upper cheeks/forehead and build a little more over the blemishes/scars I have in my chin area/lower cheeks.

It took me a few days to figure out how to do this properly and not look overdone/plasticky. This stuff truly lasts all day and does not slide, and now that I've got a technique down that works for me, I love this stuff. I use a bit of blush on the cheeks and a touch of bronzer now that it's heading into summer, but don't feel the need for powder. This may be my new HG foundation now, and my face is actually clearing up a bit since I stopped using MAC (their Studio Fix powder broke me out fiercely).

If this is still too heavy for you, try Double Wear Light. It has just as good staying power, but more natural coverage. You can see my review on it, if you're curious.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/19/2010 9:00:00 PM More reviews by jasminesnow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I purchased this over a year ago after hearing it would be really good on my oily, acne prone skin. A couple of people who look amazing use it, and I have no idea how it works so well for them as it was awful on me, and the person I passed it on to, after trying it once and knowing I wouldn't wear it again. It felt thick on the skin and dry, and very obvious like a mask. The colour didn't match well, and I was very disappointed with it after hearing great things. Not fond of the bottle as it can all easily spill out while trying to get the right amount. I didn't like the smell either.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/19/2010 6:59:00 PM More reviews by Shotgun

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this product! For years, I've had to blot my skin 3-4 times a day because of my oily skin. I've tried lots of different foundations, including Revlon's ColorStay, Clinique, Ultima II, Makeup Forever, etc. After reading a bunch of reviews online about Estee Lauder's Double Wear, I decided to try it. My skin's quite light (I'm an NC20 in MAC), so I ended up with Ecru. I tried Shell, but it was way too pink for my half-Asian skin (I'm half-Asian, half-Caucasian). This stuff lasted all day and felt great. I just dust some loose powder over it, and I'm good to go. Sometimes, if it's a humid day, I'll feel a little oily, but my skin doesn't *look* oily. I occasionally blot, but I need to do it only once, which is awesome.

I also tried EL Double Wear Light, and although I liked it, and the lightest colour is a slightly better match than the Ecru, I didn't like the coverage. I have some dark marks from old acne, and the regular Double Wear covers them so much better! In addition, I haven't had a single breakout since I started using this stuff. I do think you have to have pretty oily skin to wear this, as I imagine it would look heavy if you were dry.

The packaging isn't great as it's next to impossible to prevent contamination. A lot of other people have commented on the less-than-stellar packaging, too. I bought a pump from MAC (about $7 Cdn), and it works perfectly. Another thing I did is I bought Sephora's platinum foundation brush, and I use that to apply the foundation--it does a great job of evening it out and making my skin look pretty damn fantastic!

In addition to the packaging, I didn't give it a perfect 5 rating as the foundation is tough to take off. Usually I have to cleanse my skin twice to get it all off. Also, I don't buy my EL in Canada, I get it in the States. It's $43 Cdn and $34 US. Huh? Despite all that, though, it's totally worth it, and I plan to continue buying this (I'm on my second bottle, and am buying a third in a couple of weeks).

UPDATE: I've worn this long enough now that I can definitively say it doesn't break me out. I still get pimples at 37 :( but DW hasn't caused any. A total bonus for me! And the price has gone up! It's now $35 US. Sigh.