September 1, 2014 | 1043 users online

Mascara - BeneFit Cosmetics - BADgal Lash

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2009 12:30:00 PM More reviews by jezseeca

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

If you are willing to put the work in (i.e. spend time adding lots and lots of coats) then this mascara rocks.

My absolutely top fave for dramatic, long, voluminous lashes is Rimmel's lycra extender mascara. This mascara by Benefit, "Bad Gal" is my #2 (and current replacement since i can't find that lycra one out here in London currently) and then Lancome's Hypnose mascara is my #3 (knocked down a spot due to major smudging!)

Bad Gal really lets you build and build for that amazing "fake lash" look, without clumping or smearing. and the smudging is minimal (i notice just a tiny amount of specks of black in the corner of my eyes at the end of the day. but not anywhere near as bad as Lancome's smudging).

This is also wayyyy better than MF 2000 calorie mascara, which, for me, gave nothing but clumpy, short lashes.

Bad Gal does offer length as well as volume, but you do have to do several coats to spread the formula around. don't be shy with that big brush---use it!!!

This is sort of a fool-proof mascara. you can really keep adding without saying, "uh-oh, that was one layer too many", which was the case with Lancome's Hypnose.

The other thing that puts it way ahead of Hypnose is the fact that it really lifts your lashes up. it does not curl them, but it does have a good lift so that it holds your curl well. VERY UNLIKE MF2000 calorie, which really weighed down my lashes.

Also, this is a good, rich, dark shade of black (not that gray-black that Bourjois Glamour mascara tries to somehow pass off as black).

Great, great product. I will most definitely buy again (unless of course i finally find Rimmel's lycra mascara which was amazing for building length!)

UPDATE: after 2 weeks of use, this REALLY dried up, not so much that it effected how my lashes look, but it REALLY caused it to smudge and now everytime i wear this, i get raccoon eyes in 3 hours! not cool.... so i took off a star. This is precisely why Rimmel's Lycra Extender mascara was so wonderful! oh well... still a good formula though... just not 5 star worthy.

UPDATE #2: well, it's back up to 5 stars because i switched foundations to a more matte one and now the mascara doesn't smudge under my eyes! I guess my skin needs to be really matte so that the mascara doesn't transfer. Great formula and holds a curl well.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2009 12:15:00 PM More reviews by serrabird

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Another hugely over-hyped Benefit product. Kudos to their marketing genius, they can sell the most mediocre products with really great packaging and cute names. This is such a sub-standard and under-performing mascara that I cannot believe the price they charge in the UK for it. It clumps up, sticks your eyelashes together, the wand is useless and after a few hours you end up with unattractive little black flakes on your cheeks. 2000 Calorie does a much better job for half the price! If you really want to go for a top-end mascara, go for YSL Faux-Cils or Helena Rubinstein's Lash Queen.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2009 6:36:00 AM More reviews by yuphehe

When I got the travel size of this product I hated it, it was dry when i opened it and it did absolutely nothing for the lashes. However, without knowing my bad experience with the product, my friend gave me a full size last Christmas. Having not liked the travel size, I left the product unopened for several months before running out of mascara to use and opened this.
To my surprise, I actually really like this product except that it is not waterproof and so smears on me. The brush looks a lot like DiorShow, and I actually put Diorshow and Badgal on different eyes, and liked the Badgal results better. It really does lengthen and give volume while separating. The only downside is the smearing (its not waterproof).
So for those who used the travel size and did not like it, perhaps its before the travel size mascaras are different from the actual thing.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2009 10:27:00 PM More reviews by Merrydothe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am NOT a fan of this mascara, it is messy, clumpy and the brush is wayyy too big and bulky to do a nice even job. I think this might be one of the first mascaras I have ever thrown away pretty soon after purchasing. If you want a nice big brush mascara go with DiorShow because even that blows this away. I would not buy this again and I would not rec it to anyone. Yuck!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/27/2009 8:03:00 PM More reviews by vianners

I remember buying a tube of Bad Gal Lash back in high school and I HATED it! When I applied my first coat, it lengthened my lashes very nicely, but I couldn't get it to volumize my lashes without clumping or drooping from all the coats of mascara. After a few hours at school, my lashes were droopy and I looked like I'd been crying. The smudging was unbelievable.

I recently decided to give BGL another chance, but thankfully my experience wasn't as bad this time. I curled my eyelashes like crazy before applying, so the curl stayed pretty well throughout the day, which consequently reduced the smudging (yay!). The only downside was that the tube started drying up within a few of weeks. Decent mascara, but definitely not worth the price. Would not repurchase (again).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2009 6:14:00 PM More reviews by maddoc

The bristles really made my lashes look thicker. it didn't lengthen it by much, but it definitely made it thicker. the trick was to patiently put it on, layer after layer, and make sure you don't concentrate only on the middle portion of the eye, and make it even throughout the eye.

the problem i had was that it smudged really badly!! and its so embarrassing. i was out having dinner and by the end of it, i realized that my mascara had smudged and it made me look all tired!! grrr... i may have to figure something out, but till then i will just have to keep looking into mirrors and make sure i always have a q tip on me!!

I definitely would not buy this particular product again, I would probably buy it in waterproof, just cause this one doesn't cut it for me.

edit: i've used this for a while, n lovin it now!!! i alternate between this and my effect liner mascara by bourjois!! preetttttyy!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/23/2009 7:53:00 PM More reviews by yolanda6

I tried the travel size of this product and was not impressed. I was expecting more but was greatly disappointed. Benefit is a cute line, but they need to go back to the drawing board with the mascara.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2009 6:35:00 PM More reviews by stacy2455

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I just love the blue!!! I thought it would be crazy on me but it looked great. Long lasting, minimal flakes at the end of the day. Did make my eyes "pop", which was so fun. Always get compliments when I wear this. Will absolutely continue to buy this!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2009 4:55:00 PM More reviews by missytease

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This mascara was one of the first expensive ones that i've tried. It was okay. Just okay. Not worth the 20 bucks value. I wouldn't get it again. But i did like how blue the color was on my dark lashes.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2009 10:00:00 AM More reviews by ppmint18

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The first thing I'd remember about my first encounter with Benefit was the packaging and the product names which were oh so cute and catchy. I didn't put on any mascara that day because I had the intention of testing out the products and I've heard great reviews about their mascara. When I first tried it, it wasn't that amazing. Turns out, because the wand was a lot bigger than other mascara's I've used, I didn't know how to apply it properly so the SA taught me. I didn't really like the effect at the counter partially due to the sample tube drying up but I really needed one so I bought it anyways along with other products. The more I use it, the more I love it. It's very pricey though compared to the L'oreal Volume Booster that I used before but with the BadGal, I didn't have to apply as many times. Since I have very long lashes already, when I go out, everybody asked if I got extensions or falsies...and when I told them it's natural, they're all in shock. The only con is that it's not waterproof so I add a layer of my cheaper waterproof mascara to coat it because I sure need it in this humid weather. Overall, love it when I have the money to splurge.
I heard great raves about the MAC prep and primer mascara and the Dior Iconic and I so want to get those but my wallet's a little light right now. Another thing, I read on some reviews that you're not supposed to apply it in zig-zag motion but the SA told me if you want to create volume/thickness to do so althought it's easier to clump but hey, I love the thickness and the fact that my eyelashes look like falsies and gives a more dramatic effect.