October 22, 2014 | 1572 users online

Mascara - BeneFit Cosmetics - They're Real

rated 3 of 5 on 1/20/2013 10:24:00 AM More reviews by bnanaphone246

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

i bought the sample size from ulta. the formula looks really nice, no smudging or flaking, and i actually noticed my lashes curling from just the mascara, which ive never experienced from mascaras even when they claimed to curl. i have really long lashes but it made them even longer. i wish it came in brown, because it is really intensely black. i know it was supposed to create a false lash look, but for me it was so intense that i felt like liza minelli. the wear was great but it took a lot more work to remove it at the end of the day, and my lashes felt really dry and brittle once it came off. im trying it over maybelline lash stiletto to see if that makes it easier to remove, and hopefully that works. otherwise ill still keep the brush because its amazing at separating lashes. bottom line- i can see why people love this mascara, it does pretty much everything it claims. im sure if you use the right makeup remover its not such an issue to remove. but probably be prepared to experiment with your cleansing routine.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/20/2013 5:33:00 AM More reviews by justacupoftea

This mascara didn't work for me, I found it made lashes a bit spidery and was stubborn to remove. I really liked the brush though it has a little ball on the end that let's you get the tiny lashes.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2013 3:55:00 PM More reviews by Sarah1325

I bought the sample size (12$) and I love it! The formula is great but it comes out clumpy at the end of the brush. Wayyy better than bad gal lash

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2013 1:57:00 PM More reviews by Hanouna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I know this mascara is very popular, but I am not a fan. It's fairly good when it comes to lengthening and separating, but it didn't create any volume for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/18/2013 1:27:00 PM More reviews by jvdb

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Got this as a promotion from Sephora. The spiky brush makes working on lower lashes impossible and overall I am just not amazed by this product, easily clumps but at least the spiky brush does fix that. Much prefer my maybelline falsies, would never buy this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2013 10:05:00 AM More reviews by secondadonna

Got a mini of this as a gift at Sephora. Normally I wouldn't buy a non-drugstore mascara, but I might have to repurchase They're Real. Many things about it were better than I expected: it really is long-lasting, non-flaky, non-smudgey, and it really does keep the curl -- the first non-waterproof mascara I've tried, high or low end, that did these things.

The funky combination wand -- part Lash-Blast style plasticky spikes, part round bristly bulb -- is interesting and mostly good. The bristly end does help grab little lashes that would otherwise be hard to catch. But it can also grab my inner lid when I'm trying to use the normal wand section. Ouch! An ordinary nylon-bristle curved wand -- like the one with Maybelline Falsies -- does almost as good a job of catching all the lashes without that risk. A curved wand also does at least as good a job of curling; using the bulb end of the They're Real brush doesn't curl so much as point the lashes straight up.

The thing I really like is the formula. Somehow they've replicated the firm, long-wearing feel of a waterproof mascara with the removability of a non-waterproof. That's an excellent balance for everyday wear. I do worry about using this with contact lenses, because inevitably one day I'm going to have to use eye drops and I bet I'll have mascara everywhere. That said, I've worn They're Real on days when I ended up with very watery eyes and didn't notice any bleeding/smudging. So it does stand up pretty well.

It's possible to get a fairly natural look with just one coat, or apply a second for a more dramatic look without much clumping. Any clumps can be removed with the same brush, just wipe off any excess mascara so you don't make matters worse. I do like not needing a separate comb or spooly for cleanup.

4/5 with half a lippie off for not being waterproof, and half off for the cons associated with the wacky applicator. Overall, a really great mascara.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2013 6:52:00 PM More reviews by cgw1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

First of all..why is the brush so damn spiky? Very dangerous. It's so scratchy it hurt me. It lengthened my lashes but separated them a little too much and gave me very little volume (I need volume!!). It also smudged on me which is a big no-no for me. I will stick with Maybelline The Colossal.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/17/2013 3:42:00 PM More reviews by thrrrrob

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

EDIT: I have grown to love this mascara. As with all products, you need multiple tries to find the perfect application method. As it is very clumpy on me, I only need very little (the slightest single coat you can imagine) and it does the job. Again, because I find this clumpy, building it up to achieve the false lash effect is impossible, but it is ideal for every morning when in a rush to sweep it quickly to get natural looking full lashes.

I have so many samples of thins lying around I wish I loved this mascara but sadly it's not for me. This mascara lengthens pretty well but it is also extremely clumpy which I cannot deal with.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2013 1:40:00 PM More reviews by Nessa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love the look of this mascara on, it does not smudge while worn even on my bottom lashes! A bit hard to remove even with waterproof mascara remover though. It took me a few applications to get used to the brush ( I am used to brushes like Bad Gal Mascara or Full n' soft). But overall a very nice mascara@

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2013 1:36:00 PM More reviews by jamster86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really liked nearly everything about this mascara. Reasonable price, lots in the tube. It gives length, volume and lift to your lashes and when I wore it people actually thought I was wearing very natural looking fake lashes because they were so full and seperated.

My only issue is that because of the lengthening and the shape of my eye sockets, the ends of my top lashes touched my lids quite a lot and where this happened i kept getting horrible smudges. I have to say though that I wouldnt let this put other people off, because i guess it depends on the individual. The mascara wasnt in any other way smudgy or flaky and they stayed looking brilliant all day. However, I work long days and for me constantly having to check for dark smudgy lids was just a little bit of a problem so I haven't rebought straight away. I probably will for shorter wear though, for example on weekends when I can check in a mirror more often.

Definitely worth a try, and the brush is brilliant. Almost perfect!