October 31, 2014 | 1620 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2010 4:23:00 PM More reviews by rivera25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I intially thought i was going to hate this foundation. I have combination/oily skin and the word 'glow' when used in mu terms uaually puts me off, im shiny enough!! When the foundations (sheer glow, sheer matte) first came out i purchased sheer matte as i thought it would be better suited for my skin type. I do like it but i was tired of always wearing matte (flat) make up so whilst in a department store recently i asked an mua on the NARS counter to try it on me. I left without buying it as i didn't think it looked all that great and wanted to see it in natural light (you know how some mua's put the wrong shade on you and in natural light you look either orange or ashy!!). I had forgotten i had the foundation on until i caught a my face in the mirror-omg! my skin had never looked so good. I looked healthy (which is hard sometimes when you're pale) and my skin had a satin glow (not ott disco ball glow). I could not believe how good it looked. I had to get it the very next day.

I wear it in shade Mont Blanc (light 2) which matches me perfectly, im nw15/20 depending on foundation and time of year. I find using my fingers to apply it the best way and it looks so much better after a little while. I think thats what put me off in the store, it doesn't look that great as soon as you apply it. Give it a go-Combi/oily ladies it can work on our skin type.

Edit: Still loving the foundation but i now have it in a lighter shade (religious SPF use).in Siberia. I use the loose powder in Snow and my skin looks almost flawless.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2010 1:03:00 PM More reviews by shadowgerl

packaging really has a lot of room for improvement, i always end up pouring out too much and feeling bad about wasting product, especially when its so expensive. i have this in fiji and i think it suits my asian skin fine. the amazing thing is that it is so lightweight; i feel like my pores can actually breathe through this.
if this has spf, it would be perfect!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2010 9:55:00 AM More reviews by littlemissk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I got the color Stromboli and I am an NC30 with MAC foundations. I was a bit hesitant to try this product at first, mainly because a lot of foundations out there have pink undertones to them. I have more of a yellowish undertone to my skin so typically use MAC and Bobbi Brown foundations. However, I was pleasantly surprised that this color turned out to be more yellow; PERFECT for my skin tone! So far, I really like it. It's very light, so you don't feel like you have anything on your face. It has a medium coverage which means that it won't hide acne scars or blemishes but it does even out your skin tone quite well. After it dries, there is a bit of a glowy finish to your face which is also nice.

Now the way I test if the foundation color is right for my skin is by taking a picture of my face with flash. I hate it when it looks like you have a white mask on. This usually happens when the foundation I'm wearing isn't yellow-based. I tried it with this foundation and it was a success! It looked very natural in pictures, like it was my own skin! So I'm very happy with this foundation and I definitely recommend it! Only problem is it doesn't have a pump, which bothers me a bit but regardless of that, I still really like the product!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2010 6:35:00 PM More reviews by mhanna

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love Nars cosmetics so when Nars came out with their new foundations, Nars Sheer Matt and Sheer Glow, I knew I had to try it. I have combination skin and had been using Chanel Pro Lumier in Beige. I really liked the color match but I was getting too much shine and it was breaking down by the end of the day and needed touch ups. I am just too busy at work to futz with my face, so, foundation really has to stay put and look natural. I initially purchased Nars Sheer Matt. I found the coverage too light, almost like a tinted moisturizer, but somehow it accentuated all the lines because it was matt. So, I was disappointed. I then went back and purchased the Sheer Glow after seeing all the reviews. The name is very misleading. You think it is going to be very light coverage (“Sheer”) and very oily (“Glow”) which just would be the opposite of what I need. But, I really wanted to like it, so I jumped in. I used a foundation brush (Shepora’s Professional Foundation Brush) to apply it. A little really goes a long way. I applied a small amount all over (thinking I can build up for greater coverage) it was very bendable, no streaking. I then softly went over my face with my fingers to even out any patches. I step back; look in the mirror, and wow! It really looked great. So, I was pretty excited but still needed to see how it would hold up. Guys, it looks just as great at 6 pm as it did at 6 am! I was so thrilled.

I have been wearing my Sheer Glow exclusively for the past three weeks. It looks great in every light, very natural, it is buildable if you want to have more coverage in the evening but it is the perfect coverage for me during the day- light to medium but enough to even out the skin, but not heavy enough to hide dark blemishes. My color is Syracuse and it is a very good match. I had also tried the lighter color in Barcelona but that was too yellow for my skin tone. The worst thing about this product is the name. I would never have tried a foundation called “Sheer Glow” if not for your trusted reviews. I absolutely love this foundation and will be using it for a very long time. I really recommend you give it a try.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2010 6:54:00 PM More reviews by jungleberry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

It was time for a new foundation so as always I go and browse Sephora and remembered how I saw a blogger's pic of her Nars foundation and looked pretty nice so I picked it up...for a whopping $62 tax incl CAD but for something that goes on your face and for something that expensive it must be good (I thought).
I bought this in Light1 Siberia and I have NC15 yellow toned asian skin. The other shade I was debating was Light3 Gobi but I thought it was a little too dark for me. The biggest qualm about this product is that your skin should have JUST the right amount of moisture on it when you apply this, and if you don't it is super hard to blend and looks blotchy (and I don't have dry skin anywhere on my face). It also doesn't give a 'glow' as much as a matte finish that looks completely 1-dimensional. However, if your skin is too oily or you start secreting oil throughout the day......and who doesn't this thing melts and slides around everywhere and it becomes so apparent you are wearing make-up.
Other cons are the packaging, surprise no pump and the lid gets fingerprints on it really easily like any other Nars packaging, the price, and I've already mentioned the blendability.
Only good things are that it is completely fragrance free and the texture is nice, but for this pricetag I was expecting something better.
Spend your money wisely on something that's actually worth your money.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2010 5:05:00 PM More reviews by swtxos

I have only worn this product for a few days and here are my initial thoughts on the product. I will update this review in a couple of weeks as to if I still like it or not.

1) It's the lightest feeling foundation I've ever worn. Although it's a very liquid foundation, I find it dries fast on the skin so I have to rush to blend it in.

2) My colour in Ceylan is a perfect match for me this winter.

3) There is no pump, what the hell. for $61CAD, that really sucks. You'd expect it to come with a crappy brush or something to compensate.

4) Coverage is medium and semi-matte looking. Isn't that strange for a product coined "glow"? I rather like the coverage and finish; the overall effect is natural. I don't have acne, I just have some skin-discoloration and this evens the skin out nicely.

5) Apparently SG has special ingredients that promises to brighten complexion. I will update on this in a month.

Now the big question: Will I repurchase? I do like this foundation, and I firmly believe the quality is one of the best on the market. If I find I have extra cash in my pocket or if it's a special occasion I'd splurge and repurchase Sheer Glow, but I'm not addicted. I don't think $61CAD is a fair price and I'd much rather look to Lancôme or Estée Lauder for quality and value.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2010 7:57:00 PM More reviews by Twinkly1216

My color: Fiji, my skin type: Normal/dry

I love this foundation, it's like a second skin, invisible and near flawless, pretty awesome coverage. Now I've been burned plenty of times by people who claim a foundation is like a 'second skin', I feel like that term is waay overused. One sephora makeup artist was trying to recommend a foundation to me saying it was her favorite and made you look like you had naturally flawless skin...meanwhile her face looked like she walked into a wall of foundation/makeup. This one (for me anyhow) really gives that second-skin effect.

Now, the reason I gave it 4 lippies instead of 5 is because it requires a little bit of work. When I first bought it and tried it I was SO disappointed. With all the raves on it and the $42 dent it made in my wallet I was expecting miracles. Well, it was kind of hard to blend (which I found odd since it was so watery), made me look kind of oily and it made my skin flake around my forehead, oh..not to mention a bit of caking. Since it was $42 I was determined to try and figure out a way to make it work. I initially applied with my fingers which led to the results listed above, then I decided to try a makeup sponge, and now I have a perfect foundation.

How I apply:

1. Wet the makeup sponge (I actually don't recommend the ELF ones because they're actually a bit rougher than the ones you buy in drugstores imo), squeeze out excess water so that it's damp to the touch but not dripping.
2. Put a layer of moisturizer on the side of the sponge you'll be using, don't rub it in, just apply it to the top, spread it out over the area you'll have foundation. I recommend using a size slightly bigger than pea size.
3. Pour out some foundation on your hand, pour some lotion (about the size of a dime) on another area of your hand.
4. Dab the makeup sponge into the foundation and dab onto your face (forehead, cheeks, chin, nose, wherever). Very lightly blend, don't blend completely and at this point you should still have some foundation left on your hand.
5. Dip the makeup sponge (flat surface you're using to apply the foundation) into the lotion. Not too much, just enough to dab onto the areas of your face you put the foundation on earlier.
6. After the lotion, dip the makeup sponge into more of the foundation. Dab onto the areas you just dabbed the lotion. Blend.
It's important to use a very light hand. That's the purpose of the moisturizer so you can minimize pressure while still getting an even blend. That way you minimize flaky skin and allow for easier blending and minimizes caking as well.

Play around with the amount of moisturizer you need and the amount of foundation you need. I recommend this for people with dry skin who have had the same problems I did. If you have oily skin or are not experiencing these issues of course just use the foundation as is. Hope this helps.

Oh and lasting power, with a little bit of powder (and I emphasize little...I use rice powder) it lasts all day and imo looks better as the day goes on.

**UPDATE**

It's spring now and my skin is much less dry...I am LOVING this foundation. AMAZING dewy look that makes me look like I have absolutely glowing perfect skin. Changing this from 4 lippies to 5.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/21/2010 11:22:00 PM More reviews by grlygrl18

I bought this foundation in Stromboli, because I wanted to change my foundation in the winter. I usually where MAC (NC40). I was very excited thinking it was going to make me glow but instead it did nothing except look shiny and it also looked like a mask when I used a foundation brush to apply. I started to warm it up and apply with my fingers, which worked a lot better but It did not make my skin glow at all. In pictures it made me look pale and I did not have my natural golden skin showing through. I returned it and I am back to using my MAC products!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/21/2010 10:26:00 AM More reviews by chia021

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

After hearing Lollipop26's review on the Nars Sheer Glow, I knew I had to check it out. But unfortunately we don't have a Nars counter in Singapore, so I had to rely on online swatches. I went ahead to get my shade in Ceylan after considering the various colour matches online. For your information, I am a MAC NC25, Shu 774, Lunasol OC2, IPSA 10, and P&J 10. I must say I was pretty nicely matched, maybe if it was slightly darker it would have been perfect. But once blended it looks fine. So I recommend that you go a lighter shade, since you can add bronzer to even out the skin tone.
Okay, on to the product; I found it very lightweight which was nice. It's not cakey, applies well but does accentuate the pores if you don't blend it into the skin. So with that, I found the MAC 109 better than my MAC 187. It was far less streaky and smoothened out my complexion well. It lasts a good numbre of hours for dry skinned ladies. I assume that it wouldn't last very long for oily skin ladies.
The effect is absolutely gorgeous. It made me look so poreless and illuminating. So far, I really like this foundation.
However, I hate the packaging. Not only is it inconvenient to travel, but it's a pain in the ass to close. The cap doesn't fit nicely.
Anyway, it's a great foundation and I wouldn't mind buying another one on my next travels.
More info on my blog here: http://tracysbeautyblogsphere.blogspot.com/2010/01/foundation-basics-nars-sheer-glow-color.html

rated 1 of 5 on 2/20/2010 7:10:00 AM More reviews by LornaRestall

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've tried many foundations over the past few months because i was trying to find the perfect one! it irritates me when i see some people with amazing looking make-up and mine looks rubbish! But anyway, I'm sorry to say but i wasn't impressed with this foundation, it's an improvement on their last foundation which sheer glow replaced because its thicker but i definitely did not think it was worth the money.

At NARS they try to give you the lightest colour foundation possible because they say it looks more natural, but they are wrong! I have quite dry skin, quite pale but i do have a lot of redness in my skin, so using NARS actually made my face too pale because although it matched my neck colour, naturally your face is usually darker than your neck because of the sun and the colour in your cheeks. I went back to the NARS counter and said i wasn't happy with my purchase and she was very helpful and did give me an exchange. She put a darker shade of sheer glow foundation on me to try, but it just looked yellow.

They also advise you to apply it with your fingers instead of a foundation brush, which i found a hassle when i was in a rush because i would have to wash my hands before leaving the house!

Another point is after a few hours the foundation would start to break away from under my eyes and separate, making me look awful!

I didn't find it very moisturizing either, it wasn't as good for dry skin as other brands i've tried have been, and was very hard to apply and blend in! It didn't give sufficient coverage over blemishes or redness either, i had to use a lot of concealer around my nose and tops of my cheeks.

So all in all i hated the fact i'd spent about £33 on this foundation for it to look like i was wearing a cheap foundation. To summarize, it wasn't worth the money, the colour was too pale for me (despite going back twice to ask about a darker colour), it separated after a few hours, and it didn't give enough coverage over blemishes and redness.

However i do think each foundation works differently for different people, the reason i went to NARS is because it has such a good reputation, and a lot of makeup artists use it. To avoid disappointment, i would advise you to try it on before you buy and even ask for a tester size bottle to try for a few days before you commit to buying. I will say that i have tried some of NARS other products and i was very happy with them, which i will do positive reviews on :)