Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder

3.6

Mica, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Isopropyl Linoleate, Synthetic Wax, Polymethyl-silsesquioxane, Water, Zinc Stearate, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Barium Sulfate, Dimethylacrylamide/Acrylic Acid/Polystyrene Ethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Ethoxydiglycol, Sodium Dehydroaceatate, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract (Goji Berry), Trisodium Edta, Peat Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-14, Dimethicone, Gold. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

on 2/24/2011 12:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Grab some popcorn -- this is going to be one of "those" reviews. ;)

I bought this from Sephora out of sheer frustration. I previously used the matte powder by MUFE, but Sephora discontinued it! Long story short, after attempting to call FRANCE to order some more, I resigned myself to the fact that I will just have to find another powder.

I asked the Sephora SA for suggestions for matte powders, and she suggested Halo. We tried it on as a foundation in the lightest shade known to man (per usual), and I was originally not a fan. I then thought about it some more and realized, hey, I usually hate powder foundations, why would I like this one as a foundation? I ended up asking her if we could try it as a powder to go over foundation, and we did. I then LOVED it.

My make up routine goes as follows (up until the point of Halo):
Philosophy's The Present, Smashbox Green Correcting Primer, MUFE Life Concealer, Dior Airflash Foundation in 200, Halo Powder. Just in case you're interested, I finish up my face with NARS Desire Blush, and them MUFE HD Finishing Powder. I end up looking flawless, matte and radiant. Not the kind of matte that looks chalky and flat, but the kind of matte where there's no shine or redness, but the skin still looks healthy. I LOVE it.

I have found that by using a primer and foundation underneath Halo, Halo ends up delivering pretty much everything it promises. Now, onto the issues with the product itself:

[1] I have to disagree with some of the above posters. I think the packaging is phenomenal. I keep it in my make-up box, which is regularly shaken, moved, and occasionally dropped. The push-button to open the not-so-compact "compact" has never broken or screwed up. I've noticed that if I turn the dial about half an inch, it results in the perfect amount of powder for one application. I like the fact that I can shave off just as much as I need for each usage. I have also notice that powder does not "magically" appear. In other words, the dial does not turn itself, resulting in lost powder, which is something I was a little worried about. My biggest issue is the brush. I'm sure it's lovely, sturdy and soft, but it's tiny. I'm talking teensy weensy tiny. Baby buki. I'm not a fan.

[2] I'm not sure what QVC promised about reducing lines and wrinkles, but I don't see this being a result. It doesn't seek out my fine lines like a missile, but it doesn't really cover them either. It just is what it is.

[3] On the same note, I was surprised to find out that this was supposed to be moisturizing. I don't find it to be drying, but I also don't find that it moisturizes my face. It doesn't catch on any dry flecks I might have on my face, but it is definitely no substitute for a good moisturizer. Granted, I have a fairly oily T-zone, so perhaps it just isn't something I would notice.

[4] If the ads are correct and the powder is carved down evenly, then I do have one concern. Does it give you any warning when it's about to run out? I can't provide an answer for this just yet, as I haven't gotten through an entire compact, so I just don't know. But this is a very real concern for me. I tend to keep back-ups for my makeup, especially the kinds in opaque bottles or squirt bottles where you can't tell exactly how much is left. But, at $59 a compact, I can't afford to keep a backup on this law student's shoe-string budget. I will do my best to remember to update this review to let you all know if there is any warning as to when the powder is about to run out.

All in all, though I agree that it would be awesome if there were refills for this compact, I love it the way it is. The baby buki isn't worth the space and I don't find it to be particularly moisturizing, BUT I do find that has excellent coverage (when used over foundation) and it feels smooth and comfortable when on my skin. Regardless of what foundation I pair it with, it leaves my skin looking healthy while reducing shine and redness. I will definitely repurchase, and I would also recommend this to friends.

Love Halo...though I was falling out of love with it after using it for over a year...I forgot what made me love it and so I stopped using it. I began using regular translucent finishing powders to set my makeup. After several weeks I just felt like my skin was missing something, though I wasn't quite sure what. It just looked a little dull. One day I decided to pull out my Halo and try again, and viola! That's what I was missing. It makes my skin just have a beautiful glow, though it is not shimmery at all. It just makes it look healthy and beautiful. It doesn't break me out either and I have sensitive, acne-prone skin. However, I will say that this does not provide much coverage at all and I don't like that they even market it as a foundation because it really is more suitable as a finishing powder unless your skin is completely flawless. Also, there are currently only four color selections, and the shades do run a tad dark. As far as how hydrating it is, I can't say because I have very dry skin (if you have normal skin you may find it hydrating)...but I can say that it doesn't dry out my skin any further, unlike how other setting powders can. If you're looking for a foundation, this is not the best choice, but if you're looking for a setting powder that will give you beautiful, luminous skin then this is a great choice!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

like this powder.... packing and shifter idea is graet.... all by itself i won't cover imperfection, works great over the foundation....will buy it again

This is my HG foundation. I am oilier in the summer with combination dry come winter. When you are asked about your skincare regimen, instead of your MU or foundation..well you just know you have found a good product. I turned to this after trying several DS foundations as well as MUFE HD, Stila 1 step, and BE without much success. This has a gorgeous satin finish that is neither dewy nor totally matte. My skin looks flawless and this is very long lasting. It holds up like a champ in both heat and harsh winter winds. I love that I grate fresh powder each use, it also keeps everything much cleaner! The kabuki that is included is a great brush too, even if it is small. I also have a lot of redness, although not rosacea it is still evident and this covers redness wonderfully!

on 1/12/2011 12:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

I hate this. And it was so unbelievably expensive it hurts because I cant return it. The very first day I used it I broke out, I got an awful case of Crisco face and my face and neck ITCHED. And then my boyfriends faced ITCHED and he whined about me wearing makeup... AGAIN. This stupid powder in no way sets ANYTHING, the formula is not very nice to sensitive skins and it just plain sucks. I got a better HALO effect from a cheap Lorea'l mineral veil.
Also the packaging... Okay I like the sifter idea, but after laying so much dough I expect this powder to look classy. But no, the packaging looks EXACTLY like Elizabeth Arden's mineral foundation. Cheap, ugly, heavy, clunky, unimaginative,... It just looks so cheap, and I hate the uncentered sticker they put on the bottom. Lancome's packaging is uber ugly too, but at least th eproduct doesnt suck. The only good thing about it was the color. After this I dont think il ever purchase ANYTHING from smashbox again. I hate itchy makeup.

on 1/11/2011 6:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Love this powder! Does provide a "glow-y" effect, does not settle or look caked on. I have used this with both Laura Mercier and Jemma Kidd Tinted moisturizers as well as Makeup Forever foundation and it has performed beautifully. My husband even told me I had really beautiful skin which made me feel my opinion and purchase of the product was correct. The color choices can be tricky. I am between fair and light and went with the light color choice rather than the fair. Easy to apply and great packaging. A little on the expensive side, but worth it!

on 12/28/2010 4:32:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I will edit this review when I've had this longer, but I gotta say I'm not a huge fan so far. Luckily I got a sample size to try this. Got it in medium, and feel the color is..weird, kinda orange-y.

I tried this with my usual tm and w/ usual foundation (Stila) and wasn't pleased with the results, as both are 'illuminating' and adding this powder instead of my ususal matte powder results in glitterbomb. Fair enough, I figured, not Halo's fault I like those formulas...so I tried it alone, but didn't like that either, strangely orange, and blotchy so I washed it off. I have warm toned skin, not super dark but with olive undertones and thought the medium would be a good match, but it really wasn't so maybe I should try the light. But overall I'm unimpressed as this product practically promises to cure cancer and as far as I can tell its just a really silky feeling but weirdly orange powder.

I used to use this product, but the price sent me to try BE. I wore BE original powder instead for months until I started to get acne. I hadn't really broken out in a couple years so I was distraught. After some research an ingredient bismuth oxide is the culprit. If you have a similar problem this product can be great for you since it does not have bismuth oxide as most powders do. People always ask what kind of makeup I wear, so it must be good!

on 12/24/2010 3:35:00 AM

The packaging for this product is awesome, I love the twist feature that cuts just the right amount of powder for use. Not on the fault of Smashbox, but I probably chose too dark of a color for my skin tone, even with the help of a makeup advisor. I dont really see it living up to its claims of improving skin texture, and I really wasnt thrilled with the way it applied unevenly making my complexion appear blotchy. Perhaps if this wasnt so expensive and I would be sure i would get a perfect match to my skin tone I would try this again, but at almost $50 it is way too risky to try again.

on 12/22/2010 11:37:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

To me, the performance of Halo is very average, hence the rating....it's not the worst but it's not the best either. And for the price as one of the most expensive powders out there, I expected more...a lot more.

It is actually very similar to BE original - perhaps a tad less 'glowy', but BE coverage is way better. And given that Halo is twice the price of BE (in Canada), I don't see the value / $.

The packaging that eveyone loves it's actually very cumbersome to carry around and the whole 'shaving off fresh powder' is kinda sily - when you use pressed powder you are using 'fresh' powder each time you run your brush over as much as with this Halo packaging, so I don't get what the big deal is - it is fun to play around with it though.

Either way, over $70 (CAD) for Halo ... not worth it... get BE if that's the coverage / look you're after.

As for the extra skin-care benefits that Halo claims... I'm not sure - it will probably take several months to see any effects (and numerous re-purchases of Halo). I will keep using the one I have (Fair), but will not buy again. Sorry Smashbox (love your lip glosses!).

Top Rated Smashbox Products