Smashbox Photo Finish Light

3.4

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Carbomer, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Triethanolamine, Decyl Glucoside, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Oligopeptide-10

on 5/14/2012 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I don't know why but I thought this would be a pump. That being said it's not a lot of bang for your buck (36 dollars US?) I fell in love with the generous sample I got but this is not the same product. Sigh I guess I am paying for the prestige of having a Smashbox product.. I need to do an update after I try it under foundation or alone on my face not just a pea size on the back of my hand...thanks UPS man:-)

on 5/4/2012 2:50:00 PM

An employee at Sephora recommended this primer to me after I told him I have combination skin and wanted something mattifying. I spent $36 on it and I must say I was highly disappointed. I know Smashbox primers have a reputation for causing breakouts but my skin isn't prone to acne so I didn't worry much. After 1 week of use I started to break out along my cheeks and forehead. That isn't the only negative I have for this primer, I didn't notice it help my foundation stay put any longer and I noticed myself getting oily after just an hour or two. I really wanted to like this product but it just wasn't good :/

on 5/3/2012 1:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

This product has always been one that I've wanted to try. I use the Make Up Forever HD in Neutral (which is very light, sort of like a gentle moisturizer), and I really wanted to try a silicone based primer, but I had been hearing that the original photo finish would surely break me out (even though I have pretty resilient skin with new products, I decided to steer clear). The sales associate at Sephora told me if I tried this I would "never want another primer again", and it is light enough that it won't clog my pores like the original. Even though I really wanted to try it, I didn't want to splurge on the full size and have it break me out, so I opted for the smaller size. I have been using it for one week, mainly concentrated on my t-zone then a smaller amount on the rest of my face. I haven't gotten any blemishes, all though I have noticed very tiny clogged pores on my forehead, nose, and chin. I'm afraid if I continue using it, it will continue to block my pores, which sucks because IT IS AN AWESOME PRIMER! It keeps my face on all day :) doesn't really control oil like the MUFE HD primer, but makes my face super soft... so I've opted to only use it before going out instead of my everyday primer for work, mainly because I don't want to spend the money on the full size (way too expensive, Smashbox!) I love it though, it's definitely a great primer.

on 4/20/2012 10:45:00 AM

Bought the sample size. It was a good thing too, broke me out. :(

on 3/30/2012 8:52:00 PM

I wish this product worked for me. I have sensitive combination skin and was looking for something to minimize pores and keep my makeup looking fresh. This keeps my makeup looking good for several hours and has a nice matte finish. It does a decent job of controlling oil, too. It doesn't make my pores disappear, but it does a good job of keeping my makeup from sinking into them.

BUT this stuff makes me break out. I wish I'd realized before I bought the full size bottle. I was really surprised, because the regular Smashbox Photo Finish never broke me out and this stuff is supposed to be better for acne-prone skin. But every time I use this stuff I get several pimples a few days later, even if nothing else about my makeup routine has changed. So, I'll have to keep looking for a primer that works for me.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This product was way to expensive just to make it easier to apply foundation. This didn't make my foundation stay any longer than normal. The only thing it did was make my foundation blend easier than if I didn't buy this over priced goo. Not worth it to me. I have found better more inexpesnive ways to make my foundation easier to apply and last longer. I tried to like this and see a difference everytime I used this product but nothing ever changed and I wll not be buying this ever again.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Good primer I like it! It helps foundation stay on & makes skin feel soft. Helps pretty well with oil control, although since this is my first primer I don't have much to compare it to. Some people said this evened out their skin tone, which it didn't do at all for me as it dried clear, but i wasn't expecting it to do that anyway. It has a kinda weird smell...It kinda smells like elmer's glue. But after it dries, you can't smell it, so it doesn't matter. I do think this is a good product, My only wish is that it did something for my skins Texture...my face still looks sort of crusty after applying foundation, as I have a pretty rough face texture from lots of acne, specifically on my cheeks.

on 3/22/2012 7:58:00 PM

This is my HG. I refuse to wear makeup without it. I love this primer. It makes my face look flawless, even if I wear it alone without any makeup. It feels silky & smooth as soon as I put it on my face. This works probably better than anything I've ever used on my face. This doesn't make me break out, so it's great for sensitive skin. It controls oil VERY well. I was very surprised, because I've never seen another product control oil as well, & for as long as this one does. I put it on in the morning, & by the end of the night my face still looks flawless with no oil. I would definitely reccommend. I love the bottle it comes in. It pumps out easily, no mess and never a hassle to get all the product out. It is expensive, but it lasts me anywhere from 3-5 months & I use it everyday. A little goes a long way, you don't need a lot for it to work. I wish this came in professional sized bottles because I use this everyday, so for me it would be worth it to buy a professional size. Even though this is an expensive habit, I will keep buying this. I can't stray away from it. My makeup does not look the same without it. Definitely worth every penny. Most of my friends & co workers love this as well. But, from reading the other reviews on here, I see that there are many people who this did not work for. I would definitely suggest going & getting a sample of this from Sephora before you spend the money on this. It works differently for everyone, depending on what type of skin you have/type of makeup you use. There are also many different variations of this primer that Smashbox made to match all different skin types (which was well thought out, in my opinion). It shows they're really trying to please all their customers at once.

on 3/13/2012 4:45:00 PM

PROS
I wanted to like this product. It sounded perfect for my sensitive, acne-prone skin.

I loved the texture of the product and look of my skin a few minutes after applying. I like the lightweight plastic tube it comes in!

CONS
Anytime I apply my high-end foundations (Chanel Vitalumiere, Estee Lauder Double Wear Light, MUFE Mat Velvet +, Shiseido Sun Protection Liquid Foundation) on top of this primer I end up with dry patches and a tight feeling across my skin, I have never experienced this when wearing those foundations without this primer. I have also tried skipping any application of light setting powders and this didn't help at all.

I naturally have oily enough skin that foundation tends to seperate a bit after about 5 hrs if I don't wear a primer and setting powder or setting spray. Perhaps the problem is that everything I put on my face now is long-lasting and oil-controlling. Who knows?

What I'm not going to do is buy the full sized version of this primer. I like all of my foundations for different reasons and if they do better without this pricey primer, then I say 'Hooray' to that.

Here's what I wear coverage-wise on a daily basis when there's little humidity and I just sit at a desk for most of the day:
1. ...a variety of primers till I find one I like
2. Vitalumiere Aqua or Shiseido SP Liquid foundation
3. Bobbi B. Stick concealer or Maybelline Dream Lumi Concealer
4.. MUFE Fix and Set spray

I would not suggest this for anyone who already uses a long-lasting or oil-controlling foundation, a foundation with alchohol (sorry Vitalumiere Aqua...you're getting ousted), or a setting spray.

on 2/28/2012 2:05:00 PM

I have never used a foundation primer before. I've heard many raves about this product so I was curious and decided to give it a go. I chose the photo finish light primer as I have very oily skin. I'm not fond of the gluey-ish scent but I was amazed at how the primer mattified my face but didn't look drying. It absorbs into my skin and leaves a nice smooth finish. I didn't notice a difference when I applied it before foundation, however I did notice that it helped my foundation last longer. I'd say after 10hrs (for me) it starts to fade but not dramatically. I usually get shiny/oily after 2hrs after applying foundation but when I used this primer it extended an hr or two. I still have to touch-up but no more than two times which is great because I usually have to touch-up my makeup at least 3-4 times a day which is annoying. Overall, I think this is a great investment if you have very oily skin like I do. It is expensive but at the same time you get what you paid for and it's definitely worth getting if you're looking for a new primer.

Popular Primer/ Correctors