TheBalm Hot Mama

4.5

(from product packaging; note that the ingredients listed by some online sellers are different)--Boron Nitride, Polyethylene, Isoeicosane, Caprylic / Capric Triglyceride, Silica, Polyisobutene, PTFE, Synthetic Wax, Dimethicone, Sodium Dehydroacetate. May contain [ /- Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Carmine (CI 75470), Iron Oxide (CI 77491)]

on 11/2/2010 9:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Lovely product! Yes, it's comparable to Nars Orgasm, though it's by no means a spot on dupe. If you are an avid makeup collector, they're different enough to warrant having both, but at the same time, they're similar enough that you could sub one in for the other if you prefer to keep your cosmetics collection more streamlined. On my NW20 skintone, both products read as "peachy," but where I can see the individual shimmer particles in Orgasm, the shimmer in Hot Mama distributes more evenly and results in more of an overall glow. As well, the shimmer in Orgasm looks pearly or opalescent on me, whereas the shimmer in Hot Mama is clearly golden, which really warms up my skin. The thing that really gets me about Hot Mama, and makes me feel like I'd re-buy this over Orgasm any day, is the texture. This is a powder, but it's so soft and smooth, it almost feels creamy. You barely need to touch your brush to the pan to get good colour payoff. Personally, I love the cardboard packaging, which is surprisingly sturdy! I, personally, could do without the little sleeves that the products come packaged in, but if you leave the items in their sleeves, it does make them less susceptible to damage if you carry them around in your bag. Although TheBalm's products are expensive, you get a ton of product for the money, and PharmaPlus (not affiliated) almost always has a gift with purchase or discount on this brand.

on 11/2/2010 9:13:00 PM

Very pretty blush, I was afraid that it would be way too similar to my NARS Orgasm but it's far peachier, so there is a difference in the two. It provides a very natural colour for my NC30-35 skintone.

Sidenote: All you Canadian girls with a Rexall near you, the Balm is giving away a FREE Hot Mama with any 30$ purchase. I bought Mary Lou-Manizer and got this free and they're beautiful products, although I wouldn't recommend wearing them together since they're both shimmery products. This promo is only going on until the 4th of November so hurry!

on 10/12/2010 5:37:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I love this blush! It is the perfect peachy pink blush with light golden sparkle highlight. Warms the complexion beautifully. Be careful to blow excess off your brush before applying it or it will be too bright. I love the picture on the packaging but am not in love with the magnetized cardboard packaging as it does not seem sturdy enough to travel with... however, one swipe in the AM lasts me all day so there is really no need to carry it a lot.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I've wanted a blush similar to this, MAC Springsheen, or NARS Orgasm for a while. I finally decided to get this one since it is pretty cheap and I've read that it is better than the other mentioned blushes. It is super smooth and pigmented. It adds a perfect glow to my cheeks with just one swipe. I wish a little more of the base color showed up as opposed to the shimmer, but I still really like it.

I included pictures at the top, and will post them here as well.
One picture compares it to an E.L.F. blush and a Wet 'n' Wild one.

*PICTURES*

continued >>

on 7/27/2010 12:19:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Frickin gorgeous. Like others have said, this is very close dupe of NARS Orgasm. This is slightly more peachy, and in my honest opinion, prettier. I like to pair this with Bahama Mama, like Orgasm and Laguna. These two make you look gorgeously summery. Beautiful cardboard packaging. A little on the expensive side though.

Really pretty color, I adore this blush! I wear it everyday and it compliments every makeup look and is very versatile. The main ingredients are also non-comodemic.

on 6/21/2010 1:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This blush is too much shimmery. My face is all shiny after a few dusts. It's good that I tried it at the store so I know it's not going to work for my oily/combo skin.

on 6/13/2010 9:24:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

One of my top blushes. Although I wear it year round, I find it looks best in the summer. It's peach with a gold shimmer to it. I love the packaging too. It has a mirror when you open it and is magnetic, so you can make sure it stays closed.

on 6/13/2010 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

This was a very pretty peachy color and I was so excited to get it..but sadly this was way too shimmery for me, it highlighted the pores on my cheeks, no matter how I tried to buff it out. I hated this and returned it. If you like shimmery blush and have small pores, go for it. I like some shimmer, love orgasm blush, but this was over the top on me.

on 5/18/2010 11:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is everything I wanted Nars Orgasm to be.
Soft, silky, reasonably pigmented (Nars does has more pigment to be fair, but this is no slouch either), applies smoothly and lasts on. It's kind of like a combination blush highlighter, a little reminiscent of Benefit's Coralista, though way more peach and a tad more shimmery - I tend to layer cheek products like mad so this might not show up so well on medium or darker skintones - best used as a highlighter there. Otherwise, it goes on a beautiful corally peach with very fine gold shimmer - you get a definite glow with this and may run the risk of looking a bit shiny if you're too heavy handed.
Lasts about 6 hours on me, but I haven't tried it over a cream base to extend wear yet, so we'll see about that.
It has a slight fragrance, something vaguely aromatherapy-ish, rosewood or geranium maybe, but very faint. The packing is a very study, yet slim cardboard compact, with a cute 50's gal in a red bikini. Has a flip top lid, held closed with a quite powerful magnet. Comes with an identical cardboard sleeve which might be worth stashing if you travel a lot. You get just over 7 grams of product, so they don't skimp on it. Plus it can be used as an eyeshadow (reminds me a lot of Lancome Kitten Heel actually) or layered on lips, so great to have a multipurpose product!
EDIT - I added another lippie, this stuff is awesome! Looks fab as an e/s and I always get compliments when I wear it. Will definitely buy again!
EDIT 2 - I swatched Springsheen at the MAC counter last week and it seems very, very similar. I wasn't able to do a side by side comparison and it was under halogen lighting but they look like pretty close dupes to me. I looked at Orgasm again and it is definitely more pink than Hot Mama. (which is still utterly gorgeous!)
EDIT 3 - Springsheen is actually more of a true orange compared directly with Hot Mama, which has more pink in it (and better pigmentation and more golden shimmer too!)

Top Rated TheBalm Products