October 24, 2014 | 1953 users online

Liquid - Make Up For Ever - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 6/30/2013 3:05:00 PM More reviews by KristyBarrr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was my go to foundation until my face became really try due to acne medication I was surprised. However when I did use it (w. beauty blender ) it gave full coverage and lasted all day for me. And it was definitely MATTE. My only con was that it did tend to get cakey around my nose no matter what kind of primer or moisturizer I used but maybe that's just me. I would suggest this for someone with really oily skin if your skin is dry don't go near it you'll have extreme cake face

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2013 10:35:00 PM More reviews by jackiii18

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My HG foundation! I absolutely love this stuff! I originally tried it because I have very, very fair, cool-toned skin and I was having a difficult time finding a foundation that was light enough for me and not yellow-toned. This stuff matches my fair skin better than any other foundation has and I have tried a ton! It also feels lightweight on the skin while giving considerable coverage (although I wouldn't mind a little more--I'm definitely a full coverage girl). I find that this applies best with the beauty blender, although I've applied with a stippling brush and my fingers and it still looks flawless. Also, I love the packaging! I can't say enough good things about this foundation, I just wish it was a little less pricey! I will continue to repurchase for sure!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/20/2013 11:18:00 AM More reviews by mishhell

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

My skin is oily (but not TOO oily; it's managable), and it's extremely sensitive, which makes it acne-prone at times.

With that said, this foundation is unfortunately NOT for my skin type. I've been using it only 5 days and I've already broken out pretty badly (and I take care of my skin.. always cleanse and moisturize). HOWEVER, I WISHH this didn't make my skin break out, because everything else about it is amazinngggggg! The finish is perfectly matte, and leaves no oily residue. The color perfectly blends with my skin (which is medium-olive toned), and I use number 35. The only down side is that this foundation takes away most of your "natural glow" since it's so matte, and it often makes my face look paler than it really is in pictures. GREAT coverage though.

But I guess I'm gonna have to stick to Smashbox's Healthy FX foundation, since I can rely on having clear skin when I use it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2013 10:21:00 PM More reviews by aminamalika

I love this foundation!! I am a long-time MAC Studio Fix user, but either the formula or my skin has changed because I find wearing it alone makes me somewhat washed out and washy. I tried MUFE's HD foundation for awhile and even though it's raved about, MAT+ is the true winner (at least for me). It is truly matte, goes on like velvet & leaves my skin looking flawless. I mix my shade 80 with my NW50 MAC Studio Fix (which works out because at least Studio Fix has SPF 15) - sometimes applying it with my fingers or my F82 or F80 Sigma brushes and it goes on very well. Even though the packaging is small, there is so much in here - I have had the same one since last year and I wear it at least 3 times a week. Of course, a little goes a long way. It's a staple foundation for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2013 11:00:00 AM More reviews by jennibobenny11

I finally found my perfect match. Wow, this foundation is exactly what it promises (matte, full, beautiful) and it made me a believer. I have tried many many foundations but none of them ever seemed to be the right recipe for my combination skin. I am very fair and get some redness now and then. A few weeks ago I was heading to a wedding and purchased the full size Make Up Forever HD foundation #17 (which was great and perfect for pictures). However the girl at the beauty counter suggested I might also like a sample of the Matte Velvet #20. I finally tired it yesterday and it was absolutely perfect for me.!It covered everything with no concealer, lasted all day (even in the rain) and made my skin glow. I got lots of compliments on how beautiful and rested I looked. I just purchased the full size and am excited to swap between the MUFE HD and the Matte Velvet. Great buy and worth the price!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2013 11:17:00 PM More reviews by cosmic007

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've used this for several days, after reading some great reviews online. I'm glad my Sephora sample is almost running out because I wouldn't want to waste my hard-earned money on this severely over-priced product. I have very oily skin, and with the hot weather approaching, I was hoping for a foundation with some mattifying, staying power. Instead, what I got was a thin, runny foundation that slide off (even with primer). By the end of my work day, when it was 80 degrees outside, it was gone, except for the makeup that stayed in my pores. NOT attractive. This was a big disappointment. Would not recommend at all!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/10/2013 12:59:00 PM More reviews by juelzmain22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Once I run out of this bottle of foundation I will definately not repurchase. I wanted a great foundation for the hot summer months since my skin gets extrememly oily and i look like a little grease monkey. This is for oily skin types and it says its oil controlling. Well its not good enough for me. I got oily after about 3 hours of wear. The shine broke through this foundation and it became transferable to my hands, collar of my shirt (i blend to my neck) and my headgear i have to constantly wear (military enlisted) All around this foundation did not work for me and I wanted it to sooo bad. I originally bought the wrong color and it oxidized horribly and made me look 2 different colors (#80) so I went with #75 and although it was a good match it just doesnt work well with my oily skin on my forehead, cheeks, nose, and chin. My new HG foundation is the covergirl queen 3in1. Now that foundation keeps me matte for a good 6-8 hours in humid conditions. What I wanted this foundation for it did not deliver. Sad I wasted $36 on it. I might return it if I can't get it to work with my boots no 7 shine control primer and the neutrogena shine control powder. Because with my monistat chafing gel primer and my elf pressed powder it still slid around and looked greasy and transfered. Meh, not all high end brands work like they say they do for everybody's skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2013 4:36:00 AM More reviews by Xquizt

My latest HG!

This foundation is so perfect, I could go on about it for days!
In fact, I will!

Some info about my skin before I begin:
-light skin with yellow undertones
-no serious acne problems
-combination skin
-Light 2 in Stila Stay All Day, No.30 (Porcelain) in MUFE Mat Velvet Plus

Coverage: 4.5/5
This foundation is comparable to Kat Von D's Lock-It foundation when it comes to coverage. Mat Velvet is NOT quite as full coverage as the Lock-it, but certainly buildable to borderline medium/heavy coverage and easily hides blemishes, discoloration, under eye bags and small freckles. I don't even have to use concealer for the purple-ish bags under my eyes because this foundation is so easily buildable in the areas I want it to be. The only reason it gets a 4.5/5 is because those who like the heaviest of coverage will not be entirely satisfied with this product. It still manages to look pretty natural.

Color Match: I am a 30 Porcelain in Mat Velvet Plus which is the 4th lightest shade of the line. It is described as a medium tone, but it is definitely a lighter shade. It has beige/yellow undertones that match my light yellow undertones fabulously.
You cannot simply go on a guess with this foundation. Try a tester first before just assuming your shade!

Finish: 5/5
Flawless matte finish. This is the most beautiful matte finish I've found in a foundation to this day. There are no odd sparkles and despite being completely matte, the foundation does not sink into fine lines. Not streaky nor cakey, skin looks baby smooth.

Longevity: 5/5
This foundation always lasts as long as I need it to as long as I top it off with a good setting powder. It survives 8+ hour days at work and school in the middle of a muggy Florida summer. Heck, it even survives the shower until I start to rub it off. Past 6 or 8 hours (depending on what I'm doing/whether I'm indoors or outdoors) my T-zone does need to be repowdered, but the foundation itself does not slide off or crack.

Packaging: 4/5
Mat Velvet comes in a plastic squeeze bottle, which is excellent for both travel purposes and sanitary purposes. It won't break and the cap never comes off accidentally in my makeup bag. The only downside to this is that it can be difficult to get the last remaining drops of foundation out when the product is nearing the bottom, but that's nothing a good few shakes can't fix.

Value: 5/5
I pay $36 per bottle of this foundation and it lasts me a good couple of months. Perfect color match, perfect finish, astounding longevity and a little goes a long way, so it's definitely worth the price to me.

Notes:

-ALWAYS make sure to shake your foundation before using. It took me a while to figure this out.

-This foundation works best for me when I apply with my fingers, but on a friend of mine it only works when applied with a damp sponge. Try different methods if one isn't working for you.

-This product did not cause me to break out whatsoever. Huzzah!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2013 1:42:00 PM More reviews by crystaldw

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this as a sample from sephora in shade#45.its a little bit pinky but not bad.it almost covered my hyper pigmentation on my cheeks.i have never owned or used a "matte" foundation b4 but i didnt find this to be very matte, but that might just be the moistuizer i used..the texture is nice&blends easily, you can slightly feel this sitting on ur skin but not as bad as some ive used.sayed in place all day thru all diffrent weather changes from extreme heat to cool costal drizzel(not very oily, i get a bit glowy with dry spots around my nose)..overall I really like this foundation and its a top contender for my next buy..

rated 1 of 5 on 6/6/2013 8:25:00 AM More reviews by brio815

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Asked for a sample from sephora. The SA gave me a very decent amount. I have seen a beauty guru with red skin & oily skin use this & rave about it. IMO it sucks. My face felt more oily and it felt thick. I could tell I had makeup. My face wasn't any less oily or matte. I was considering purchasing but not anymore. Glad I asked for a sample. Maybe it's a good foundation for winter. Idk. But def not when it's hot out. Or humid. Or warm.