July 24, 2014 | 1761 users online

Cleansers - Mario Badescu - Enzyme Cleansing Gel

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2011 9:34:00 PM More reviews by Angeldoll

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Perfect any time of day cleanser for me. (im sensitive, combo and acne prone) it feels soothing, cleans well and is non-drying. Does not help dry out acne, but definitely is calming and does not aggravate my acne or sensitive skin either. I will definitely re-purchase this! Im also using the seaweed cleansing soap, and I like the enzyme gel better for my combo skin.

UPDATE: A few months later and I cant live without this cleanser, its perfect. Leaves me feeling clean and does not overdry my skin. I have since purchased another bottle. I have also used this on my body with great results.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/16/2011 10:46:00 AM More reviews by DinaC

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I thought this was a good, basic cleanser. It washed off a day's worth of makeup, mascara, foundation, sunscreen, etc. using warm water and a wash cloth. I didn't see any remarkable transformation, i.e. improvement in my hyperpigmentation, reduction in my fine lines and wrinkles, etc. After washing with this product, my skin felt soft and comfortable, not tight or itchy or burning. Pretty good for sensitive skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2011 2:41:00 AM More reviews by losangelesvintage

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Overall Rating: 4.7/5

Product Efficacy: 5/5
Quality: 5/5
Value: 4/5

I can honestly say that this product saved my skin. Last year I was breaking out for the first time in my life from stress caused by a 20-unit semester plus two jobs (probably not the smartest decision I ever made). I'd never had skin problems before and had no idea where to start repairing the damage. After several drugstore products - Neutrogena, Cetaphil, etc. - didn't work, I sent away for the Mario Badescu sample packet, which contained a small vial of this cleanser. LIterally, after four days of using this in conjunction with Mario Badescu's Glycolic Foaming Cleanser and my regular moisturizer, my skin was completely calm. We all know that breakouts aren't the worst thing in the world compared to REAL life problems, but everyone can relate to how icky it feels to have blemishes on the face you present to people every day. It was such a relief to be free of that worry!

This is a gel cleanser, but it's slightly creamy and a little thicker. It's a very thorough cleanser but doesn't strip your skin and leaves your face feeling soft. The fruit enzymes that help prevent acne by polishing away dead skin are very mild, and I've never had a problem with irritation. This is a great everyday cleanser - it does what it's supposed to do, and it does it exceptionally well. I'm not sure I would recommend it for very oily or breakout-prone complexions, which might need a stronger formula, but for slightly oily, normal, dry, and combo skin, the Enzyme Cleansing Gel is a godsend.

The smell is lightly floral, nothing exceptional but not offensive either. Price is $12 for 8 oz. or $20 for 20 oz. My eight oz. bottle lasted a year since so little product is needed. I love Mario Badescu packaging because it's simple and aesthetically pleasing but still functional.

Ingredients: Deionized Water (Aqua),Glycerin,Papaya (Carica Papaya Fruit) Extract,Grapefruit (Citrus Grandis Fruit) Extract,Monomide,Triethanolamine,Methylparaben

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2011 10:02:00 AM More reviews by Andalucian

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've never been one to get overly excited about a cleanser. Philosophy's Purity was always a favorite for that deep-clean feel, but for the most part I've always used basic cleansers I've picked up at the grocery store (generally the Aveeno line, though I've tried several brands). It never would have occurred to me to purchase this, but I received a small bottle as a gift with purchase when I decided to try Mario Badescu's acne products. This ended up being my favorite thing about my order - not because the acne products didn't work as I'd hoped, but because once I started using this cleanser, I no longer needed them. It keeps my skin clean, clear, and fresh, and it's been gentle enough to use with my Clarisonic Mia. I've since purchased the full size bottle, and after several months, I'm still pleased with it. Packaging is very basic but functional - clear plastic bottle that lets you see how much is left and dispense as much (or as little!) product as you like, nothing fancy or upscale to add to the price. It's a bit more expensive than drugstore options, but it's lasted so much longer that overall I've saved money... even moreso when I figure in all the products I no longer need. I definitely think this one is worth trying.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/25/2011 1:41:00 PM More reviews by ineffable

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I had a sample of this forever before I ended up using it, and I loved it right off the bat so I went out and bought the huge 16oz container for about $20, which is a fantastic deal. The smell, oddly enough, reminds me of the conditioner my mother always used so it's comforting to me. (It smells a bit like grapefruit rind.) I like that it doesn't lather up and dry my skin out, I find it cleanses very well for being just a gel. I like to leave it on for a minute or two so that the AHAs can really do their job. I have strayed from this a few times but ended up with very irritated skin an come right back. I'm willing to say that this is my HG face wash! The 16oz bottle will last me forever, about 1/6th of it is gone with two people using it twice a day for four months but I definitely will re-purchase when I run out.

EDIT: I stopped using this and realized it was what was causing my super stripped/irritated skin. No wonder I couldn't even touch my forehead, I switched to Dove Beauty Bar for sensitive skin and my skin is already much less irritated.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2011 8:27:00 PM More reviews by varmintrifle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using this cleanser for over a year now. I used to use acne cleansers as I broke out occasionally around that time of the month, but decided to start using this. It's not the best at removing makeup, and takes a lot of scrubbing because it doesn't lather, but it's really an excellent cleanser that doesn't leave my skin feeling stripped or too red right afterward. It has a gentle exfoliating effect that leaves my skin incredibly smooth.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2011 11:53:00 AM More reviews by untinnu

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This broke me out/made my skin irritated.
I've been breaking out for almost a month now. The first two weeks, I just did my normal routine. Cetaphil/Clarisonic, witch hazel toner, and moisturize with coconut oil, which made my skin a little better. Starting the third week, I decided to try out this cleanser since I got a sample of it from doing their questionaire/survey a while back. Since I started using this, I didn't notice much change to my skin, except that my chin got more oily and there's more white heads. And just yesterday morning, I was washing my face with this cleanser, and noticed how red my face became after washing it off, and I noticed that I was getting tiny red bumps on my temples and between my brows. So I decided not to use this last night and went back to my old routine, and this morning, my skin looked A LOT better, it was no longer red and the bumps are going down.
Now I have a full 16oz. of this cleanser sitting in the cabinet. *sigh* I ended up buying a full size bottle before finishing my sample because it was so cheap on Ebay. This sucks.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/16/2010 9:26:00 AM More reviews by linuxgrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

A bit disappointed with this one. It works as a basic cleanser but isn't anything special. Dries out my face a bit. Won't be repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2010 2:32:00 PM More reviews by savliving

What can I say? I have used this cleanser since I was 18 and I'm now 27. I only ever stray to a sulfur wash sometimes. I love the low amount of ingredients, no foaming, non irritating, and just simple. I use rx products so anything to lighten up what i'm already doing. I have to make sure not to use this in the cold weather, otherwise this cleanser is HG for me. update 9/13/11 I still use this. Even after a 9 month trek of tazorac cream. I also use a milky cleanser, but this is still a staple. Update 11/23/11 My skin has completely rejected this cleanser now. I'm using it as a shave cream and body wash now. I had a really big bottle and gave the rest to a friend, it works great for her!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2010 1:30:00 PM More reviews by rbyars1

I am really diggin this cleanser, super gentle non foaming and removes makeup like nobodies business without irritation (even mascara, not sure about waterproof though). It also has minimal ingredients and no surfectants to dry skin. Smell is hard to describe but I find it pretty faint and non-offensive in my opinion. Will certainly buy again

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No