MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

on 10/1/2014 6:24:00 PM

I love this foundation!

It has taken me a good 5-6 years to find a foundation I like but this is my favourite. It doesn't dry my skin out like other foundations do and it doesn't slide off and look greasy hours later like others can (I team this with the mac studio fix foundation).

The bottles seem small but surprising quite a lot of product In, I'm the uk it's priced at £21.50 so it's not cheap but still fairly affordable and for a good foundation it is worth paying. I can definitely tell this difference when I use this my skin looks almost flawless when I do wear this.

Would I buy it again? 100% yes!

on 9/27/2014 4:40:00 PM

I absolutely love this foundation. I've long struggled with drug store foundations that have never quite matched my skin tone or they've irritated my face. During a trip to Ireland I decided to splurge and pick myself up a bottle of the studio fix fluid in NW20. It goes on smooth and literally lasts the entire day.

on 9/25/2014 10:13:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is my go-to foundation for a night out. I definitely wouldn't wear it everyday because it's a little too heavy for that (at least for my liking since I like looking more natural during the day). Since it is a full coverage foundation, I find that it makes my skin look flawless in photos. It does look a little caked in person, however.

on 9/20/2014 11:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I like this foundation pretty well. I'm pretty pale, but also yellow. (NC20) no drugstore foundations work for me. They're too pink and look like I've rubbed blush all over my face. I have been incorrectly matched as a NW shade, mostly because I'm Caucasian and most people think white=pink undertones. And often times, the person at the counter will match you wrong and try to shame you into buying what they suggested. Don't listen to them. Ask for samples of what they suggested, and what you think and try them both out.

As for actual Studio Fix, I do like this. It can look cakey if you don't blend it well. It makes me look dry sometimes but I do have very dry skin.

on 9/18/2014 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I thank GOD for honest sales reps. I originally purchased this product at Dillard's in the mall. I've tried two different colors, NW48 and 45. The reason for the darker to lighter shade is because the rep was honest enough to tell me that it oxidize, of course I found this out when using the NW48. So, I tried a few shades lighter hoping it would oxizide to a matchable color. To my disappointment, it did not. The coverage was great, but as for supressing oil, I didn't feel as though it held up too well. It's buildable foundation that goes on fairly smooth. Most of all, I didn't feel as though I was wearing make up at all. When I took the foundation back, she asked if I wanted to try another color, but I bowed out gracefully on her offer. I've tried this one, Longwear, and MatchMaster and got the same disappointing results. In fact, I can't remember which one, but one of them made me itch a lot and another heavily transfered. I thought the price was pretty decent ($28) for this partiular one, but after ringing it up, I was told that a pump didn't come with it as asked if I wanted to purchase one for $10 more. Wow! Really? As much as I've heard people rave about Mac foundation, I sorry, but I'm just not a fan.

on 9/12/2014 11:06:00 AM

I'm a bit on the fence with my overall view on this foundation. It's a bit of a love/hate. I absolutely adore the finish of this foundation more than anything. Looks gorgeous on the skin and photographs beautifully. My issue is that I'm pretty sure I get break outs when I wear it. And reading other people sharing the same problem makes me think that I a right. If I were to purchase this again, it would be for occasional use only. Revlon Colorstay is a good dupe/alternative.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I've got this foundation a gift for christmas and was (obviously) very excited to try out my first ever Mac foundation since I've been thrilled with Mac Concealers this far. So I put in on right away and was disappointed. I always thought I was a NW20 in Mac, considering the lady at the counter matched me for NW20 concealers, which have always worked for me perfectly when it comes to colour match. This foundation in NW20 is way too dark and too yellow for me. I was a beginner at this point and I didn't know that a skin with rather red undertones is considered cool - correct me if I'm wrong, still not completely sure I get what Mac is trying to tell me with their colour range - so I probably should've used a NC-shade.

Now on to the foundation itself:
It's a quite thick texture, reminds me of Revlon's Colorstay but it kinda creases after one-two hours. Also it's got that typical Mac foundation smell, which to me smells just like paint. I've never worn it out the house, just for stay-home-days and it's put up okay with my oily/combo skin, but didn't live up to what I'd expected it to be.

If you're not as oily as I am you might wanna give this foundation a try, I wouldn't repurchase it.

on 9/8/2014 10:36:00 AM

I hate this. So. Much. Like, fiery passion hate.

I have sensitive skin, this broke me out and gave me contact dermatitis - a reaction (and I'm used to them) unmatched by any other product I've tried on my skin.

It does NOT look natural. I don't care what anyone says. Your version of 'natural' is not the same as mine. Every guy I know that I've spoken to about girls wearing this foundation agrees - this stuff looks terrible up close. Especially in direct sunlight or under fluorescent lighting, yuck. It looks nice from afar but that's not really the point now, is it kids. I have very high standards for how my foundation looks - and I don't want it to be able to be detected. I want my face to look perfect, without it looking like I obviously have something on. I can achieve this easily with other products - with this, I have no chance in hell.

I hate it so much, I'll never purchase any MAC products again. There are better alternatives elsewhere and I believe their products are over-hyped.

Admittedly when I purchased this foundation, I was looking for one with medium to full coverage and one that was pale enough for my skin. From my experience I have found that it's exceedingly difficult to find suitably matched foundations; high street ones plus even makes like Chanel, all offer colour matches that are far too dark or ones which have a yellow undertone. After reading reviews about this foundation I thought I would give it a go. I would firstly recommend getting colour matched at the store - there's nothing worse than getting home and finding you've got the wrong colour one applied! I was matched to the lightest shade, a miracle in my books that one was pale enough.

I would recommend purchasing the pump as well as that way, it is more hygienic and you do not waste the product. My skin is combination: my nose can sometimes be dry however, often foundations cling to the dry patches and then a few hours after wearing it, powder needs to be applied as my nose becomes very shiny. My skin is also very sensitive which makes a foundation purchase always quite risky. I would recommend using your normal moisteriser and if you're planning for the foundation to last all day to night, I would advise you to use a good and reliable primer as this will help it stay. Once prepped, I put a little bit of foundation on the back of my hand and then used my finger to transfer the foundation in small blobs on my face. I have light freckles spreading over my face however, some areas especially the tops of my cheeks are clustered with quite a few which makes my skin look uneven. I don't want to completely eradicate my freckles, even though they are not necessarily desired from me personally because I do not wish to look like a cakey clown. However, I still would prefer the highest point of coverage to be in this area.

I start applying on my cheeks with gentle small circular motions and then I gently spread out the foundation across my nose and chin before lightly patting it into my skin. By patting it in, the warmth from your finger tips helps to set in the foundation further and get rid of any streaks. The coverage of the foundation is medium but you can layer and it is full. When wearing this foundation, I do not use concealer which is a positive. Straight away you do notice a flawless look to your skin however, setting which powder is a necessity. I have tried using all of MACs powders, including the studio fixed powder however, I found them not to be very effective. Also they made the foundation feel quite heavy to your skin and creases would become apparent which does not bode well to the natural looking finish. Thus I always revert back to my trusty collection 2000 £1.99/£2.99 pressed powder in the lightest colour. You literally need a small dusting off it and then the foundation is set.

Straight away it is evident that this is a high quality foundation and it provides a smooth flawless finish. However, I am not sure if I would purchase again. This is because after a few hours, if you want to seek a matte finish, it is necessary to add powder as otherwise your face becomes quite shiny and sticky. I have tried either medium to full coverage foundations and understandably, it is a rarity to find one which feels light on your skin however, this one didn't for me. By the end of the day, I actually felt quite excited to take it off so my skin could breathe! Plus the day after wearing it, I always have noticed further dryness and more breakouts.

My advise would be as follows; if you are looking for a product in your skin tone, then MAC products are excellent. I would be worried advising if you have problematic skin - my skin genuinely is pretty good however, straight away this product causes issues. If you have scarring, acne, freckles or anything you wish to cover then this product does do the tricks (to a certain degree) however, it does not feel particularly nice on and feels almost like you're wearing a face mask. I live by collection 2000 concealer in the lightest colour - it doesn't last 24 hours probably only up to 12 hours. But it is cheap, cheerful and it does the job and feels light on yet you still get the flawless finish. I now use other foundations to smooth out my skin tone and then concealer is where you target the specific areas - this works better for me. However, I would recommend ALWAYS getting colour tested.

I wasn't sure whether to try this after reading some reviews, but after using for a month can say that it is a good foundation. I hardly notice the smell now and once it has been applied you can't smell anything, it is a medium coverage which can be buildable, but beware when applying more and more it would look 'cakey! and find that it clings to dry areas, so you need to moisturise/prime'. It controls the oil on my forehead for most of the day which is better than any other foundation much longer than any other matte foundation I have tried inc. high end and drugstore (and it has been a few!).

I was colour matched to NW18 which is a little orange-y but can tone this down with my powder. I haven't noticed any breakout from using this and I am quite impressed, will continue repurchasing this foundation.

The only thing that annoys me about this, is that you have to purchase the pump separately which is only £4 but I don't see why they can't just sell it with a pump!