Retin A Micro

3.9

Retin-A Micro (tretinoin gel) microsphere, 0.1% and 0.04% w/w purified water, carbomer 974P (0.04% formulation), carbomer 934P (0.1% formulation), glycerin, disodium EDTA, propylene glycol, sorbic acid, PPG-20 methyl glucose ether distearate, cyclomethicone and dimethicone copolyol, benzyl alcohol, trolamine, and butylated hydroxytoluene.

on 6/3/2010 2:35:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This stuff is awesome! I've been using for over a year and the first few months were awful. I had terrible acne form and my face was falling off but I stuck with it and now I use it every night with a light gel moisturizer. My skin has never looked better and I get compliments on it all the time. Everyone always says my skin glows and it's thanks to this and Exuviance products. It's a little less than $40 with insurance and lasts 5-6 months which is super cheap compared to other less effective products on the market.
I'll probably use this forever!

on 5/22/2010 11:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

I've used this since tenth grade and I'm eighteen now. I broke out in horrible acne in tenth grade due to hormones and I was given pills and this to treat it. When I used it then it took a while to take effect, but this products takes patience. It worked wonders about a month in and got rid of my acne within 5 months. I'll be honest, it's my first and only prescribed acne product (excluding random drugstore finds that barely worked on my severe acne) I've ever used because it works amazingly for me and I always go back to it. I don't know why, but it starts working on the first day and my acne disappears in a matter of weeks. At first my skin was dry and started to peel just like the pamplet that came with it said. I avoided wearing makeup and a good moisturizer and SUN SCREEN (IMPORTANT) solved this problem during the day. As most people know, RAM does cause your skin to be extremely sensitive to the sun so I never skipped a day of sunscreen. The price is alright if covered by insurance, but if not, it is really pricey. And you seriously do only need a pea size amount for your entire face. Anymore and you're just wasting product that may have cost you a ton. When given the time to work, it worked amazingly for me and I still use it as a spot treatment for the occasional pimple I get.
UPDATE: I recently just got TERRIBLE acne on my forehead. I'm using this again for about a month and my skin has already started flaking. I put RAM on other areas of my face (cheeks, chin) and I'm currently in the purging stage ugh. At least I know it's working. I'll keep updating.

on 5/20/2010 8:14:00 AM

used this successfully when I was younger, at first with an oral antibiotic, then alone - and my skin looked great! went off it before I had kids - with both kids, when I stopped nursing I got TERRIBLE adult acne - much worse than anything I had as a teenager or in my 20's. Have been using Retin-A micro .04% again for about 4 weeks, and it isn't really working. I don't think it is effective for hormonal acne. I am going to try it in conjunction with Yasmin birth control to see if that will work.

I first started using retin a micro about 3 months ago (my derm suggested Purpose Facial wash with it and told me not to use moisterizer at all.) after a few weeks my skin was burning so bad I missed about two days of school from the dryness. So I stopped and my skin became bad again. I got away from it until about a month ago. I now use a pea size all over my face everynight, along with my Purpose facial wash every morning and night. I only use moisterizer ever 2 to 3 days. Im proud to say I'm have AWESOME results. :D
My face looks so great, I'm not self concious when Im out now (becuase I dont wear any makeup) so I actually keep my head up when I'm walking instead of averting it to the ground. My confidence has sky rocketed as well, I'm finally able to have fun and get closer to certain people ;D I'm so going to enjoy my next two years in high school now instead of dreading them

please if your going to try this and your derm says no moisterizer I would still recomened you do use just a little every few days unless you want to end up wih horrible dry uncomfortable skin!! also you have to give the product a full month to see really really good results! promise :)

on 5/12/2010 6:47:00 PM

I was using Retin-A Micro .04% for a little over a year. I had horrible acne - cysts, blackheads, whiteheads - you name it, I had it on my face. I used Retin-A Micro with both an antibiotic and Benzyol Peroxide Acne Wash. At first I had purging, which I didn't really mind since my face was already covered in bumps. Over the months, my face started clearing up... slowly but surely. I then had the perfect face, with NO trace that I had such bad acne! I did get a few zit here and there, but I finally felt like I had one of those "normal faces" (:

Those are the ONLY reasons I gave it two lippies. I kept using Retin-A Micro, even though I felt like my battle with acne was over with. I then started noticing small dents in my face, but I convinced myself they were there before but I hadn't noticed them. I started getting more and more as days went by. I went to several dermatologists, and they all told me they were acne scars. How did I get acne scars when I had no acne?! I asked if Retin-A Micro could be causing them, but I got all "no"s, and that Retin-A Micro can actually help the scars. Following medical advice, I kept using Retin-A Micro. And I kept getting more and more holes in my face. I finally decided to stop the use. And the holes stopped coming. Coincidence? I think not. Now I'm left with a bunch of scars, which makes my face look uneven and horrible. I cry about them everyday. Now my dermatologist is trying to talk me into laser resurfacing - $2,000+. I would rather have a face full of acne, because acne goes away. Scars do not.

I searched and searched online if Retin-A Micro could cause scars. I found threads/forums with other people claiming it did. I wish I knew this before. My face is ruined. I'm one of those few unlucky people that had a bad experience with Retin-A Micro. Please proceed with caution while on this medicine.

on 5/1/2010 8:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I have been using Retin-A Micro %.4 for a few years. It is the ONLY product that controls my cystic acne, besides Accutane, which I've taken 3 times.

Retin-A users- 2 VERY important things to remember: *use a PEA-sized amount. Not a glob, not dime-sized or anything else overzealous.

*Make sure your face is not wet or even damp before applying, or will exaccerbate irritation.

Your skin will build up tolerance for this product, promise!

The genius of Retin-A? It's the ONLY prescription (or non-prescription) product currently available that actually diminishes lines/wrinkles (doesn't happen overnight though, you're got to be diligent and patient) AND prevent acne.

The best thing going.

horrible. red . flaking. made skin horrible.

on 4/28/2010 3:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

started using this every other day since 4/15/2009 for cystic acne. the first week i got two pimples on my upper lip. last week it was HORRIBLE. two big cystic ones on my left cheek, one on my right cheek, two on my chin, my forehead...i was getting it in places i never had before! but i kept using it because of the "purge" that everyone was talking about. i didnt experience any burning until last night (and even then, only slight sting) and only just a tiny bit of flaking underneath my nose. i am using the .04% version. i woke up this morning and it finally looks like my pimples are flattening out and healing. i hope the worst is over because it is just seriously stupid to have a breakout like that. i was using the renova the first week until i did some googling and learned that renova was og invented for people with dry skin (thus the creme base), so i quickly switched to the gel. i will update since its only been two weeks. the rest of my skin seems to be smoother though...!
UPDATE 05/05/10: this stuff is WORKING! all my cystic acne has flattened out and are fading, if i have a tiny pimple, i dab a little on and it dries it out super quick and its already flaking the next day. i am no longer peeling and no stinging. i think my next step is going to be, using it EVERY day, waiting two weeks and then stepping it up to the .1% every other day. RETIN A MICRO is great!!! havent bought the full tube yet because im waiting to see which strength i will need (0.04 vs .1). i will update the pricing via insurance.
UPDATE 06/14/10: ok i cant live without this stuff. seriously, it has really helped the cystic bumps all along my hairline. although i still get one or two bumps on my forehead, its just that, one or two bumps. i tried to use it every day but it was just too strong. i am using .04 every other day and its just great. when i have a pimple though, i spot treat with the retin a micro every day until its gone. i purchased the pump but havent used it yet because i am still going through my samples. i e now know that it was the Renova that made me break out like horrible, so basically, i didnt have any purging with Retin A Micro. good stuff! it was $25.00 through insurance.
UPDATE 05/26/10: I only use my .04 once a week now, every sunday. i never needed to step up to .1 because this was strong enough! i had to back down from every other day because my skin was so dry it was flaking. i use it every sunday and its just right. i heard they came out with a lower dosage so im going to try that when i run out of the .04. has transformed my face and i love it :)

on 4/22/2010 11:03:00 PM

I use this for acne & this is a good product. It is by no means a quick fix and its going to make the acne (whiteheads, blackheads, cysts) even worse before it can make it better.Your skin will peel and flake like crazy, but be oily at the same time. It needs time to work. I used the .1% for two years, but I stopped using it about a year ago because it seemed to only be making my acne worse. However, DuAc stopped working and I had to go back to something, so my derm gave me the .04%. I've been using it everyday for 3 weeks now and its clearing up my acne. The whole process takes at least 8 weeks, so I'll update. Its really hard to find products that don't sting, but eventually the burning stops. If youre having problems finding products to use whiel dealing with the stinging, here's the best ive found:

Clinque Foaming Face Wash
Cetaphil
&
Clinque's DDML (its not oil free and has no SPF, but it does feel help when the flaking is at its worst)
Purpose Lotion (has an SPF 15 and its oil free)

on 4/16/2010 8:54:00 PM

When I was first starting out with retinoids, I tried this, decided I didn't like it, and went to the generic gel. I thought it was too strong and irritating for my skin, but am now convinced that the issue was the chemical sunscreens I was trying to use. I went back to this about a year ago, and have been able to tolerate it well.

I'm using the .04% strength, and although I have been breaking out lately due to stopping birth control pills, this has allowed the zits I do have to clear pretty quickly. I think I'm rounding a corner on the hormonal craziness, as my skin has started to go back to normal. I like the way this makes my skin look, and I get mistaken for being younger than I actually am all the time (sunscreen helps too). Right now my insurance still covers it, and when it stops I still plan to keep using it.

Popular Treatments (Face)