December 18, 2014 | 1392 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A Micro

rated 2 of 5 on 5/20/2010 8:14:00 AM More reviews by acleen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

used this successfully when I was younger, at first with an oral antibiotic, then alone - and my skin looked great! went off it before I had kids - with both kids, when I stopped nursing I got TERRIBLE adult acne - much worse than anything I had as a teenager or in my 20's. Have been using Retin-A micro .04% again for about 4 weeks, and it isn't really working. I don't think it is effective for hormonal acne. I am going to try it in conjunction with Yasmin birth control to see if that will work.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2010 9:02:00 PM More reviews by VanillaTwilight94

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I first started using retin a micro about 3 months ago (my derm suggested Purpose Facial wash with it and told me not to use moisterizer at all.) after a few weeks my skin was burning so bad I missed about two days of school from the dryness. So I stopped and my skin became bad again. I got away from it until about a month ago. I now use a pea size all over my face everynight, along with my Purpose facial wash every morning and night. I only use moisterizer ever 2 to 3 days. Im proud to say I'm have AWESOME results. :D
My face looks so great, I'm not self concious when Im out now (becuase I dont wear any makeup) so I actually keep my head up when I'm walking instead of averting it to the ground. My confidence has sky rocketed as well, I'm finally able to have fun and get closer to certain people ;D I'm so going to enjoy my next two years in high school now instead of dreading them

please if your going to try this and your derm says no moisterizer I would still recomened you do use just a little every few days unless you want to end up wih horrible dry uncomfortable skin!! also you have to give the product a full month to see really really good results! promise :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/12/2010 6:47:00 PM More reviews by SapphireLily

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was using Retin-A Micro .04% for a little over a year. I had horrible acne - cysts, blackheads, whiteheads - you name it, I had it on my face. I used Retin-A Micro with both an antibiotic and Benzyol Peroxide Acne Wash. At first I had purging, which I didn't really mind since my face was already covered in bumps. Over the months, my face started clearing up... slowly but surely. I then had the perfect face, with NO trace that I had such bad acne! I did get a few zit here and there, but I finally felt like I had one of those "normal faces" (:

Those are the ONLY reasons I gave it two lippies. I kept using Retin-A Micro, even though I felt like my battle with acne was over with. I then started noticing small dents in my face, but I convinced myself they were there before but I hadn't noticed them. I started getting more and more as days went by. I went to several dermatologists, and they all told me they were acne scars. How did I get acne scars when I had no acne?! I asked if Retin-A Micro could be causing them, but I got all "no"s, and that Retin-A Micro can actually help the scars. Following medical advice, I kept using Retin-A Micro. And I kept getting more and more holes in my face. I finally decided to stop the use. And the holes stopped coming. Coincidence? I think not. Now I'm left with a bunch of scars, which makes my face look uneven and horrible. I cry about them everyday. Now my dermatologist is trying to talk me into laser resurfacing - $2,000+. I would rather have a face full of acne, because acne goes away. Scars do not.

I searched and searched online if Retin-A Micro could cause scars. I found threads/forums with other people claiming it did. I wish I knew this before. My face is ruined. I'm one of those few unlucky people that had a bad experience with Retin-A Micro. Please proceed with caution while on this medicine.

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2010 8:25:00 PM More reviews by Popsi

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using Retin-A Micro %.4 for a few years. It is the ONLY product that controls my cystic acne, besides Accutane, which I've taken 3 times.

Retin-A users- 2 VERY important things to remember: *use a PEA-sized amount. Not a glob, not dime-sized or anything else overzealous.

*Make sure your face is not wet or even damp before applying, or will exaccerbate irritation.

Your skin will build up tolerance for this product, promise!

The genius of Retin-A? It's the ONLY prescription (or non-prescription) product currently available that actually diminishes lines/wrinkles (doesn't happen overnight though, you're got to be diligent and patient) AND prevent acne.

The best thing going.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/1/2010 5:43:00 PM More reviews by ilovemeandmelovesi

horrible. red . flaking. made skin horrible.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2010 3:25:00 PM More reviews by ltgee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

started using this every other day since 4/15/2009 for cystic acne. the first week i got two pimples on my upper lip. last week it was HORRIBLE. two big cystic ones on my left cheek, one on my right cheek, two on my chin, my forehead...i was getting it in places i never had before! but i kept using it because of the "purge" that everyone was talking about. i didnt experience any burning until last night (and even then, only slight sting) and only just a tiny bit of flaking underneath my nose. i am using the .04% version. i woke up this morning and it finally looks like my pimples are flattening out and healing. i hope the worst is over because it is just seriously stupid to have a breakout like that. i was using the renova the first week until i did some googling and learned that renova was og invented for people with dry skin (thus the creme base), so i quickly switched to the gel. i will update since its only been two weeks. the rest of my skin seems to be smoother though...!
UPDATE 05/05/10: this stuff is WORKING! all my cystic acne has flattened out and are fading, if i have a tiny pimple, i dab a little on and it dries it out super quick and its already flaking the next day. i am no longer peeling and no stinging. i think my next step is going to be, using it EVERY day, waiting two weeks and then stepping it up to the .1% every other day. RETIN A MICRO is great!!! havent bought the full tube yet because im waiting to see which strength i will need (0.04 vs .1). i will update the pricing via insurance.
UPDATE 06/14/10: ok i cant live without this stuff. seriously, it has really helped the cystic bumps all along my hairline. although i still get one or two bumps on my forehead, its just that, one or two bumps. i tried to use it every day but it was just too strong. i am using .04 every other day and its just great. when i have a pimple though, i spot treat with the retin a micro every day until its gone. i purchased the pump but havent used it yet because i am still going through my samples. i e now know that it was the Renova that made me break out like horrible, so basically, i didnt have any purging with Retin A Micro. good stuff! it was $25.00 through insurance.
UPDATE 05/26/10: I only use my .04 once a week now, every sunday. i never needed to step up to .1 because this was strong enough! i had to back down from every other day because my skin was so dry it was flaking. i use it every sunday and its just right. i heard they came out with a lower dosage so im going to try that when i run out of the .04. has transformed my face and i love it :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2010 11:03:00 PM More reviews by weeks919

I use this for acne & this is a good product. It is by no means a quick fix and its going to make the acne (whiteheads, blackheads, cysts) even worse before it can make it better.Your skin will peel and flake like crazy, but be oily at the same time. It needs time to work. I used the .1% for two years, but I stopped using it about a year ago because it seemed to only be making my acne worse. However, DuAc stopped working and I had to go back to something, so my derm gave me the .04%. I've been using it everyday for 3 weeks now and its clearing up my acne. The whole process takes at least 8 weeks, so I'll update. Its really hard to find products that don't sting, but eventually the burning stops. If youre having problems finding products to use whiel dealing with the stinging, here's the best ive found:

Clinque Foaming Face Wash
Cetaphil
&
Clinque's DDML (its not oil free and has no SPF, but it does feel help when the flaking is at its worst)
Purpose Lotion (has an SPF 15 and its oil free)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2010 8:54:00 PM More reviews by hiddencat2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

When I was first starting out with retinoids, I tried this, decided I didn't like it, and went to the generic gel. I thought it was too strong and irritating for my skin, but am now convinced that the issue was the chemical sunscreens I was trying to use. I went back to this about a year ago, and have been able to tolerate it well.

I'm using the .04% strength, and although I have been breaking out lately due to stopping birth control pills, this has allowed the zits I do have to clear pretty quickly. I think I'm rounding a corner on the hormonal craziness, as my skin has started to go back to normal. I like the way this makes my skin look, and I get mistaken for being younger than I actually am all the time (sunscreen helps too). Right now my insurance still covers it, and when it stops I still plan to keep using it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2010 1:48:00 PM More reviews by nicesmile

i'm not currently on retin-a but i've been battling acne since i was 11 and i'm now 31. this is the only thing that has ever and i mean ever cleared up my face. yes, you purge and peel but the results are worth it. i use other products to keep my face under control (not clear though, i don't think i've seen totally clear skin since i was a baby!) but when i'm having a bad breakout and i can tell nothing will help, even splashing water on my face will a pimple, i know it's time for me to get some retin-a.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2010 4:21:00 AM More reviews by hghaus

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is supposed to make your skin peel and get flaky, but you should not let it peel off your skin's mantle -- the natural barrier of oils on your skin that prevents infection and keeps your skin thick/supple. I used this a few years ago but I made the mistake of using it everynight until my skin was raw, red, and in pain. I broke out miserably and really damaged my skin because the protective barrier was gone (not to mention, I was also using Proactive cleanser which is horrible for your skin. I switched to Dr. Hauschka to repair my skin which it did beautifully but then went off of it becauese it broke me out in the long-run).

Years later, I now have a lot of melasma and just got both bright red and brown scars from a Jessner's peel went bad. Nothing was working and Obagi was breaking me out so I started using this and after 2 weeks, I see a big difference in my scars/hypermigmentation. However, I use it until I start peeling and feel some slight stinging, then I immediately give my skin a break and use just Jurlique Balancing Face Oil which is incredible. Once my skin bounces back, I start using the RAM again. This is the only thing that works but I use it with mild natural cleanser and a strong, physical sunblock -- Sumbody Charcoal Cleanser and Mustela SPF 55. Both are clean, pretty natural products.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No