April 18, 2014 | 845 users online

Treatments - Retin A Micro

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2010 11:03:00 PM More reviews by weeks919

I use this for acne & this is a good product. It is by no means a quick fix and its going to make the acne (whiteheads, blackheads, cysts) even worse before it can make it better.Your skin will peel and flake like crazy, but be oily at the same time. It needs time to work. I used the .1% for two years, but I stopped using it about a year ago because it seemed to only be making my acne worse. However, DuAc stopped working and I had to go back to something, so my derm gave me the .04%. I've been using it everyday for 3 weeks now and its clearing up my acne. The whole process takes at least 8 weeks, so I'll update. Its really hard to find products that don't sting, but eventually the burning stops. If youre having problems finding products to use whiel dealing with the stinging, here's the best ive found:

Clinque Foaming Face Wash
Cetaphil
&
Clinque's DDML (its not oil free and has no SPF, but it does feel help when the flaking is at its worst)
Purpose Lotion (has an SPF 15 and its oil free)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2010 8:54:00 PM More reviews by hiddencat2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

When I was first starting out with retinoids, I tried this, decided I didn't like it, and went to the generic gel. I thought it was too strong and irritating for my skin, but am now convinced that the issue was the chemical sunscreens I was trying to use. I went back to this about a year ago, and have been able to tolerate it well.

I'm using the .04% strength, and although I have been breaking out lately due to stopping birth control pills, this has allowed the zits I do have to clear pretty quickly. I think I'm rounding a corner on the hormonal craziness, as my skin has started to go back to normal. I like the way this makes my skin look, and I get mistaken for being younger than I actually am all the time (sunscreen helps too). Right now my insurance still covers it, and when it stops I still plan to keep using it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2010 1:48:00 PM More reviews by nicesmile

i'm not currently on retin-a but i've been battling acne since i was 11 and i'm now 31. this is the only thing that has ever and i mean ever cleared up my face. yes, you purge and peel but the results are worth it. i use other products to keep my face under control (not clear though, i don't think i've seen totally clear skin since i was a baby!) but when i'm having a bad breakout and i can tell nothing will help, even splashing water on my face will a pimple, i know it's time for me to get some retin-a.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2010 4:21:00 AM More reviews by hghaus

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is supposed to make your skin peel and get flaky, but you should not let it peel off your skin's mantle -- the natural barrier of oils on your skin that prevents infection and keeps your skin thick/supple. I used this a few years ago but I made the mistake of using it everynight until my skin was raw, red, and in pain. I broke out miserably and really damaged my skin because the protective barrier was gone (not to mention, I was also using Proactive cleanser which is horrible for your skin. I switched to Dr. Hauschka to repair my skin which it did beautifully but then went off of it becauese it broke me out in the long-run).

Years later, I now have a lot of melasma and just got both bright red and brown scars from a Jessner's peel went bad. Nothing was working and Obagi was breaking me out so I started using this and after 2 weeks, I see a big difference in my scars/hypermigmentation. However, I use it until I start peeling and feel some slight stinging, then I immediately give my skin a break and use just Jurlique Balancing Face Oil which is incredible. Once my skin bounces back, I start using the RAM again. This is the only thing that works but I use it with mild natural cleanser and a strong, physical sunblock -- Sumbody Charcoal Cleanser and Mustela SPF 55. Both are clean, pretty natural products.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/19/2010 7:49:00 AM More reviews by socalwahine

Sigh. I have lost another battle with acne. My derm prescribed this for my hormonal acne. I thought the product would help clear my skin as I didn't experience any peeling and only slight irritation. I could feel that skin on certain parts of my face were smooth, but what good is smooth skin when there are still breakouts in other places?

I used the prodcut for 3X a week for ten weeks. I was slightly irritated the first two weeks and had the initial breakout. A bad initial breakout. But I also saw smooth skin on my nose and cheeks. But the breakouts on my chin, around my mouth, and necck NEVER stopped. It seemed that each round of breakouts was more painful and red than the last round.

I finally stopped at the 12 week point and have not used the product since.

PROS: covered by insurance so affordable, smooth skin
CONS: initial breakout (or in my case, continuous breakout), never cleared acne

rated 2 of 5 on 2/19/2010 11:10:00 AM More reviews by fionarocks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really gave this a chance, but it didn't work for me. Although I used it consistently for nine weeks, the only thing that resulted was further breakouts and incredibly, agonizingly-painful, flaky, dry skin. Also, my face was red all the time. It actually hurt to move my face. I think this would work for people with less sensitive skin, but I just couldn't handle it, despite frequent exfoliation and moisturizing. I wanted it to work, but I noticed my acne flared up more, even though this is one of the side effects, it should not have lasted this long. My roommate said she noticed what it was doing to my skin and that it actually exacerbated the problem. Ultimately, I decided to go back to the basics. Since I have dry, sensitive skin, I washed it once a day with Dove. I exfoliated with a mixture of sugar and Cetaphil and did nightly facials with a mix of honey and tea leaves. My skin improved in less than a week, and now my skin is pretty clear. I'll keep the RAM on hand for spot-treatment if I get desperate, but I'm convinced this is not the stuff for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/16/2010 10:48:00 PM More reviews by miyouki

Ok~ this is not my full review yet since this is only my 2nd week of using RAM 0.04%.. so I'm giving it 3 lippies for the initial breakout stage and peeling... I have sufered from acne since 15 (im 21 right now) and I usually get the huge painful cystic acnes.. and my skin was getting clear for about 3 months. and all of a sudden I started getting horrible breakouts in places I never had acnes before, so I went to my doc and she prescribed me this, It costed me CAD~48 ish w/o insurance. First week was the worst.. I broke out more than ever.. and had horrible redness and peeling.. I didn't even want to go out anymore.. and now .. the 2nd week.. my peeling got ALOT better.. but still suffering from massive breakout especially on my chin and forhead. but I did notice that my pores were smaller than be4 i started using this and the acne-free part of my face looks glowy and brighter.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/18/2010 5:44:00 PM More reviews by juujuu

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

My derm prescribed this to me because the Differan wasn't working. I have had acne prone skin since I was a teenager and it usually gets worse that time of the month. The first 2 weeks I used it my face broke out and then for the next month my skin looked great but as I continued to use the product it stopped working and I went back to getting more breakouts. For me Burts Bees Acne stick works better.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2010 12:15:00 PM More reviews by JeanineH

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Let's start by saying that I have suffered with severe acne for years, and I've tried almost everything out there with no luck. I am allergic to Benzoyl Peroxide, so finding the perfect product for me (that works) is a very hard job. My doctor calls me a "tough case". Anyway, it's been about a month of using Retin A Micro 0.1% and since I waited it out I am very pleased. In the beginning I was getting really frustrated because my skin first broke out a lot more, and was red, irritated and very dry. I had to use an ice pack sometimes to stop my face from feeling so bad. After those effects started to diminish, my face started to peel a lot. But, that will subside a lot after about a week or so. Now where I'm at currently, I have NO pimples. It's an absolute miracle. I have tried it all and nothing has been this effective for me. All I do is apply a thin layer at bedtime, and in the morning and at night I wash with a soap free cleanser. Moisturizer (noncomedogenic) was a lifesaver for me when I was dry. But now since my skin has adjusted, I hardly peel anymore and my skin texture has dramatically improved. The only thing left on my face to take care of is some acne scarring and redness, but this is slowly but surely going away with the regular application of Retin A Micro. I don't like the squeeze tube because it often oozes if I press too hard, so next time I'll probably get the pump. But I have to say, this is great stuff.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/6/2010 11:11:00 PM More reviews by rainrain826

This stuff made me break out, but I have sensitive skin. If you're not going to be consistent with the usage though, you're skill will be inconsistently breaking out and being clear, depending on this product's usage. This stuff is strong though, a little goes a long way. Would not recommend using too much of it, skin I had a major skin reaction and had to go to the Dermatologist, who prescribed Protopic, which broke my veins out. have tried using it for wrinkles on the knees. If you want something less strong but still effective, try Differin, or clindamycin with benzyl peroxide.