August 29, 2014 | 1726 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2010 7:16:00 PM More reviews by dancer156

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I just don't think mineral makeup and my skin mesh well. While this was a good foundation (out of all the loose powder foundations I have tried), it still did NOT provide good coverage for my acne (even with their concealer) and did NOT help with oil (even with their balancing primer powder).
After a few hours, I noticed my T-zone was extremely oily, my cheeks had dry patches on them, and the fine lines on my forehead were much more accented.
If mineral makeup works well with your skin, I would recommend this. But if you're looking for full coverage, go with a liquid foundation.
****UPDATE: *****
If you are looking for a wonderful coverage foundation that won't make you greasy or cause breakouts, I recommend Gabriel Cosmetics-- Liquid Foundation and Dual Powder! My new favorites!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2010 1:36:00 PM More reviews by petrina_678

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Two months back i got the samples. they have lasted me this long, and i still have more ( i got about 6 shades) used them almost everyday.
Bonus point for the cute sample packaging, even though they didnt have a sifter which would have been more useful. came with freebies and badge cute!

Lets talk about shade selections:
Now firstly its good they have a wide range of shades but i feel like their shades lack depth , like their warms and golden are really yellow, but their olive is slightly too cool.
They need a wamer neutral.

Im about Nc 20-25 , i've found my perfect skin match in EDM almond light , that matches me so spot on. In alima the goldens are WAY too gold/yellow for me.

The warms are still noticeably yellow for me , i tried warm2 and that was the wrong undertone but the right lightness.

Olive2 is too pinkish for me, its called olive but i would say this is a more cool neutral rather than a real olive. If you are used to EDM's olives which are a yellow/olive based neutral, alima's are nothing like that.

beige 1 is even more cool toned than the warms . I can pull this off though . since its slightly more neutral than the warms .

Olive 0 is closer to my skin tone, only that its a tad too light and still a tad ashy on my skin since it gives me a non-obvious pinkish cast.
I've found my best match in 75% olive 0 and 25% golden 2 .

lets talk about coverage now:
This is one of the heavier coverage mineral's i've tried. and i like it that way. Application makes a difference too, you can try applying it more sheerly.
I like applying this wet (using a wet sponge or kabuki ) and then finish of by spritzing my face.

It gives a mostly matte finish,i woulds say that its more matte than semi-matte that the name implies , its more matte then say EDM's matte.
I like its very polished matte finish. But it also feels very very very slightly heavier on the skin than any other minerals i've tried, i doubt you will notice .

It gives me the kind of coverage that i can achieve with liquid foundation . I apply with NO base, and no finishing power. i love how it holds up and looks on its own.

Its finely milled .and has an almost creamy sink into your skin feel.

how does it wear? :

SPECTACULAR ! it stays on forever. I live in singapore , hot humid all year, and its common to spend the day walking under the sun and deal with perspiring.

I wear it up to 11 hours a day, and it hold up with no touch ups and no blotting. keep in mind im really oily. But yeah i get lazy and dont blot. but when i do it looks amazing all day.

I like how it looks great, gives you the flawless skin look, feels way lighter than traditional liquids and powders, and holds up on my skin better than:

EMD, silk naturals, aromaleigh .

those did not handle my oily skin and the heat well .

OVERALL :

love the coverage, best yet. Great finish , blends into your skin does not look like you are "wearing a ton of makeup" . amazing staying power.

i would love if they had truly olive shades, and less "flat" shades but at least they have the shade mixing option which is what i will use.

so YES i see this a being me go-to every day foundation for a long time . im so in love. i apply it with a heavier hand for events and it looks ok even in flash photography , at least in my experience .
you have got to try this!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2010 5:10:00 PM More reviews by TheReviewLady

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

The photos in this listing got me to try it back in 2007, when I desperately wanted to jump on the mineral/"natural"/organic/free range (just kidding, it's makeup not chickens) cosmetics band wagon. I thought I looked great for about three weeks... even though the Alima Foundation did not ever stay on my face for long... even if I mixed it into my sunscreen to make a tinted moisturiser and then used a setting powder on top. I always ended up looking glossy and felt oily. And the last straw was when my skin started itching and burning and eventually I broke out in little bumps whenever I used it. I was using an oil-based pre-cleane to remove the makeup, so I think I reacted to it because I was sensitive to the high mica content. Mineral makeup is, I think, for resistant skin types. Looking at the photos of happy, glowing, perfect-skinned people in this listing make me want to try this foundation again... but I know better than to do that and while I may not have resistant skin, Alima gave me a resistant attitute towards ALL mineral makeup -- I'm just that frightened of it. Now on the other hand, Alima makeup brushes are nice quality.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2010 5:36:00 PM More reviews by c2yoshi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

After reading all the shining reviews on the Alima foundation, I was looking forward to trying it out! I had ordered 4 samples and narrowed my choice to Warm 3. The color was just about an absolute match for my Asian skin tone! The coverage is great: able to cover most minor to medium imperfections with one application and the texture is very creamy. It also lasts all day on my oily skin, which is a big plus. They have so many shades to choose from, you're bound to find one that's a match; it's a bit daunting at first, but you'll quickly pick up on how to find your shade, plus they also have a makeup artist you can e-mail if you have any questions.

My biggest complaint however was that it always applied terribly onto my nose; it always looked cakey and uneven, no matter what I tried (moisturizer, primer, etc) to help even it out better. It would look lovely on the rest of my face, but it looked TERRIBLE on my nose. It also didn't do anything to help absorb oil, but I've pretty much settled on the idea that nothing will work (except MAC Blot Powder, and even that only lasts 2-3 hours). So I'd give this a 3.5 but I always round up so it gets a 4. It's still a much better mineral foundation than Bare Minerals (that stuff made my face SUPER oily) so I still recommend giving this a shot if you're looking for a good quality mineral foundation to use.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/30/2010 3:37:00 AM More reviews by abbbetty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

this product good for my skin!LOVE~~~~~~~~~~~~

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2010 4:19:00 PM More reviews by restinginlove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

the only other mineral makeup I've tried is Everyday Minerals and Alima blows them out of the water. for some reason EDM never made me itch, though, and Alima does. however, it doesn't make me break out and looks creamy and natural when applied wet or dry (I've been spraying my kabuki brush with mark's mist opportunity now before picking up the powder and applying as I've read some experts think breathing in mineral makeup can hurt one's lungs over time.) there are SO MANY shades and if you send a message to "ask the artist" with a foundation that matches you, they give helpful suggestions as to which shades to try. love that. as a whole, this company is great to its customers and they even give extra samples when purchasing $1.50 samples.

downsides--powder all over my bathroom counter! but I have always had that problem with loose powder. I wish they had a pressed powder version. I know sephora does and it has great reviews so I may try that next as I never haul a kabuki brush and jar of MMU in my purse for touch ups. for some reason I can't get this or any other MMU to not fade after a few hours--dry, wet, over moisturizer and/or primer, setting with rimmel's mattify powder, spraying with mist opportunity to set, nothing seems to keep it there! but it's not melting off, it's just not there. there's gotta be some way to keep it on! still my HG for now and I will definitely be repurchasing.

EDIT: I can't make this or any other MMU look not-powdery on me, so I no longer use this but I think it's more of a user error and my skin + this type of makeup thing than anything having to do with product performance, so I'm leaving my ratings the same :)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2010 7:46:00 PM More reviews by CathySinMN

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Great color selection! I emailed their makeup artists who helped me find 4 colors that might work for me. Two of the three were very close matches, but one was dead on! The foundation worked great and stayed on all day. Will definitely buy again!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2010 2:43:00 AM More reviews by xliu4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

After using this on and off for a good 3 months, I am certain that I could write a fair review. The conclusion is: I love this mineral foundation!!

Customer service was excellent in answering questions, suggesting shades. I bought a few shades in sample jars to try out. With over 60 shades it's hard NOT to find the one that matches you. I am not even 1/4 on the sample jar ($1.5). Crazy, in a good way.

This foundation applies very smoothly, I apply 2-3 coats on, and then plus the green mineral concealer on my cheeks without looking cakey at all. It looks so natural as if I don't have any makeup on! It stays put the whole day, doesn't oxidizes (meaning it doesn't turn orange). Overall, very satisfied with this and will be buying the full size jar once this sample jar is gone.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2010 11:27:00 AM More reviews by becky129

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Edit 11/10/2010: Still loving this and on my 2nd order. I am custom blend 50/50 Beige1/Beige2 in winter. Love that you can blend shades.

First, a little about me. I have acne-prone, combination skin (oily T-zone). Fair but not pale neutral tone. I have been trying for some time to find my HG MMU because I believe it is better for my skin the liquid.

I have tried: Bare Minerals (Fairly Light -shiny and itchy), PUR Mineral (Light - itchy), Everyday Minerals (no good color match (it oxidized) and had a shiny face after a few hours), and now Alima Pure... and I've found my HG!

This makeup does not look powdery on my skin, just silky smooth with good coverage. I was telling a friend how much I like it, and she couldn't believe it was a powder because it gave a soft glow with good coverage (but not shiny).

I use a concealer brush to spot conceal my acne spots first, then apply all over using an EcoTools Kabuki. For under-eye concealer, I dab a cheap eye cream on my finger and then dip my finger into the powder. It spreads easily on my under eye area leaving it concealed but moisturized. And because I'm using the same shade, it blends perfectly. No raccoon eyes!

The color scheme is amazing, and yet quite simple. No funky names or confusing website, just 6 categories of undertone, each with a ranking of 0-9, with 0 a near white level and 9 for the darkest of dark skin.

Cool - very pink
Neutral - neutral but definitely on the cool side
Beige - this is what I would consider a TRUE neutral. Cool tones are too cool for me, and warm tones too warm, and I am a perfect match for B2, possibly B1 in winter.
Warm - Neutral but leaning yellow/warm
Golden and Olive - I have not tried so can't comment.

I found my perfect match by using the 'find your shade' guide to narrow it down, and then ordering $1.50 samples of a few different ones. Each sample lasts me close to a week - very generous. They also throw in additional freebie samples of blush and eyeshadow that go well with the shades you are ordering. I found my HG blush - Carnation through one of the freebie samples.

I have been using samples for 3 weeks now, and have not had any itch/reaction/breakout. In fact, my face seems to be clearing up. My skin feels like it can 'breathe' when I wear this makeup. The only ingredients are Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Mica, and possibly Iron Oxides.

To top off all the positives, their customer service is the best I've ever encountered. Shipping is fast, and I get a handwritten "Thank you, Becky" with each order. Alima Pure is a green company, and they will recycle your used containers. You mail in 5 full size containers in paper packaging (so they can recycle the containers AND the packaging) and they send you a discount code for a free eye shadow. How awesome is that!

Obviously from my rave, I will be buying this again. :) Thank you to the MUA'ers who came before me to recommend this. I would have never found this company without them.

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/7/2010 11:22:00 PM More reviews by rxqueen011

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I REALLY love this foundation, except for the fact that I want to scratch my face off after applying it because it's itching like crazy. Sucks for me that I'm mica-sensitive. Otherwise it would be my HG. It controls oilies very well and looks GREAT! Nice coverage, very smooth looking with aloe as a primer/moisturizer. It is too matte for me, but I just spray with some thermal water and buff with a kabuki. Problem solved! Nice range of colors, cheap samples, fast shipping. Overall, wonderful company and product. Just wish it worked for me.