Sugar

Sugar

on 8/28/2009 11:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I adore sugar! I love using it for a scrub on my face, lips and rough areas on my body like my knees and elbows. I honestly feel bad for each time I purchased St.Ives apricot scrub. I personally like taking some sugar, putting it in a tiny container and just adding a few drops of water- I make it into a paste. Another popular way is add EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) but I find that this leaves sort of a gross residue when using it on my face....I do like to add EVOO in my sugar if I'm using it on my body though- Anywho I find that using sugar as a face scrub really exfoliates dead skin away instantly and feels quite refreshing, & it does not leave your face feeling red or raw. I scrub my face every few days or if it feels dull. Seriously you have to try this if you want a great, cheap scrub! it will work great. I also love using this on my lips. I often get dry lips that peel and this buffs away the dead skin instantly and leaves me lips smooth for a few days. This is the best stuff!

on 8/27/2009 1:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

A cheap alternative towards exfoliating your skin. Leaves skin smooth and soft. Does not leave skin red or raw-looking. A great component for a DIY mask.

on 8/24/2009 7:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Cheap and very effective. I used a little with some of my African black soap for a facial scrub and it worked up into a nice creamy exfoliator that worked out great. I massaged my face gently in circular motions until the granules were almost dissolved (less than a minute) and then rinsed off. Skin was smooth and soft with great exfoliation. No irritations. I also used some with a mixture of oils to scrub my legs while in the shower. Legs came out smooth, soft and hydrated (didn't have to use lotion). I think this would work well for anyone, just remember to massage gently in circular motions. I will definitely do this again. :)

on 6/8/2009 2:46:00 PM

Ah, the sugar scrub: scourge of dirty knees after self-tanning, enemy of rough elbows, sworn foe of rough skin! What more to add after all these glowing reviews? Mixing with EVOO softens the scrub and moisturizes your skin - a great step while you're the shower, easy to rinse and I like that a bit of the EVOO stays behind (minus that delightful salad-dressing scent) making skin really smooth!
Now for some bubble bursting. Not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but dissolving sugar in water DOES NOT produce glycolic acid or any other type of acid! Sugar is a very long change of sucrose molecules and that chain is broken when sugar is dissolved in water. This gives you a bunch of sucrose molecules which is very different from glycolic acid molecules (oh, the joys of Wikipedia research...).
You can ISOLATE (through a chemical process, NOT dissolving) glycolic acid from sugar, but good luck accomplishing that in your shower.
So yep, great MANUAL scrub, a bit rough, but makes your body super smooth and ready to soak up moisturizer, and a must for a smooth self-tan! But if you want a chemical, acid exfoliant, go for something like the Alpha-Hydrox or Paula B's products that actually contain chemical acids at the right Ph : )

on 5/31/2009 12:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

EVOO + Sugar

I combine the two, and add more EVOO if I don't want it to be as harsh. I rub this mixture on my dry face very gently (including lips). I then splash water on my face to dissolve away the sugar. Next I use a cleanser to remove some of the excess oil, which results in ultra moisturized and smooth skin.

I only do this once or twice a week!

on 3/19/2009 1:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Well, there is not much to add to the reviews below except that pure sugar scrub is fantastic! I usually just splash my face, wipe my hands from excess water and then grab about 1 tsp. of pure white sugar and slowly scrub. Once this turns into a serum-like consistency on my face, I leave it on for 10 minutes or so, as that's when the natural glycolic acids from the sugar work on your skin to exfoliate further. After about 10 minutes I wash my face and apply a moisturizer. I have a normal/combo skin and use it on my face every second day. The key here is to remember to use an "agent" that will eventually dissolve the crystals, because that's when the glycolic acid starts to work. For this reason, I use it just with a plain water. My skin looks just absolutely fantastic since I started using this!

on 3/19/2009 7:14:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have used this for years but the biggest thing to remember is to use COLD water! (Add it to the sugar slowly) I sometimes even run an ice cube over my face before I exfoliate. It's refreshing and as much as I love a cheap scrub I don't want sugar water in my pores!

on 3/12/2009 4:28:00 PM

This does a wonderful, wonderful job of exfoliation. Love that I can use it on my lips in the shower, too. I break out in places that I usually don't when I use this, however, so I'll probably go back to my old scrub. Great if you're not acne prone like me! I'll still use it on my legs and such.

Raw sugar + maple syrup + strong green tea = cheap and very effective body scrub! I also add a few drops of orange or lavender essential oil or vanilla extract for a more fragrant shower experience. EVOO is also good in this if you want a more moisturizing scrub.
I prefer raw sugar simply because white sugar melts too fast, as noted below. I don't use this scrub on my face since it's a bit too exfoliating.
It's important to keep the consistency thick, so don't have too much tea in it.

It's quite easy and fun to make when I feel like experimenting in the kitchen.

on 3/5/2009 2:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I love homemade beauty solutions. I recently bought Noxema Daily Exfoliating Scrub and was disappointed when I realized it's more like a cleanser with a couple "microbeads" in it. When someone had recommended putting sugar in a scrub to make it grittier, I ran to the kitchen to try it. It worked very well when I combined the two. My skin felt a lot smoother and I didn't notice any breakouts from using the sugar. I took off a lippie for two reasons. The sugar dissolves quickly, so you have to keep adding more while washing your face. Also, you MUST rinse all of it off. I would recommend using it while in the shower. If you can't rinse it all out, the sugar dissolves into your hair and causes it to be a sticky mess.