September 18, 2014 | 1845 users online

Powder - Everyday Minerals - Semi-Matte Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2010 9:57:00 PM More reviews by princessshar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am a huge fan of Everyday Minerals makeup, mainly because of the all natural ingredients, the 'no makeup' feel you get after application, and the amazingly cheap price for a good quality product. The foundations come in different finishes - semi matte is my favorite, because it provides buildable coverage, has a slight sparkle for a dewy look, but not too much, and its good for my combination skin. The makeup is good quality (very finely milled), and I found my absolute perfect shade in olive-golden medium. I couldn't ask for better. This foundation never breaks me out, and thats very important to me. It also lasts all day.

Cons: skin has to be well moisturized and scrubbed before use otherwise it will excentuate dry spots and doesn't stick to skin as well. Also for some who require quite a bit of coverage this isn't the best formulation - intensive formula is for you.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2010 9:00:00 PM More reviews by tatsudoshi65

I purchased Everyday Minerals because I heard good things about them and they are so much less expensive than many other brands. I loved the pricing and I loved that on the website you can order 5 samples for free to find your perfect match! This helped me out SO much, I found my shade easily. The color matches my skin perfectly and looks natural on. It has nice coverage; I am acne and it covers the redness very well and doesn't feel heavy. I really have no complaints other than it may have broke me out. I can't be sure because I'm always changing products and trying new things, but the only reason I think it may be the make up is that when I am having a fairly good 'skin day' and I wear it I always end up with a couple new blemishes at the end of the day.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2010 4:19:00 PM More reviews by evolxlove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been mixing the Fairly Light shade with my BE foundation recently, and I've found my skin is less oily looking throughout my t-zone versus just using BE on its own. I like the coverage I get with BE, but I haven't used EM by itself yet, so I don't know how well it's going to camouflage acne scars. I also have this formulation in the shades Light and Golden Fair. I really like that the powder is creamy and blends nicely to cover redness. I might just buy a full size EM foundation and replace the BE if I decide I like it better on its own, but for now I like the effects I'm getting from mixing it with BE. The formulation seems to clump together a little bit when you tap it out, but I suppose if it weren't for the moisture in this product it wouldn't work as well.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2010 2:16:00 PM More reviews by violet999mimzy

I really like this foundation so so much i have oily skin and this foundation helps a bit i mean i do still have to blot every hour or so but after i blot it looks fine it doesnt last all day but long enough that by the time i go home from school it still looks decent =) i also use the mint concealer (sample size) and it lasts me about the same time as the foundation (big jar)
and it covers really really (i have acne and alot of red acne marks) and you cant even tell. alot of people are surprised that i wear make up because it looks so natural (well when i dont have that bad of a breakout) lol

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2010 2:20:00 PM More reviews by wiseowl

This is the best, most natural color match I've ever had for my fair skin when it comes to foundation. Got this in fair. No harmful ingredients that might irritate my mild rosacea. I was worried that semi-matte might be too irridescent or too heavy looking, the two flaws I've seen in mineral makeup brands, but it's a very natural looking formulation that isn't too heavy looking or irridescent. And, in the very distant future when I run out of this, I will buy more.
So, why the score of three? Like all of EM products, it doesn't stay all in place the whole day through, not my whole face, just the few oily spots I have. Given that this is winter, I can only imagine what this problem will be like in warm weather here in the Southern part of the US. Because of this problem, I tend to just use the pink pick me up and some natural reflections powder for everyday stuff--the pick me up has the same problem, but being lighter in coloring, the problem isn't as noticeable as with the foundation. And of course, with all EM products, they really need to work on packaging--a good portion of the time I spend applying any EM product is spent trying to get out enough product without making a big mess and wasting product rather the actual putting it on my face. As I've said of all EM products, I really think they should develop purse-friendly pressed versions to do touch ups to deal with the melt problem in oily spots.
But even with these problems, I have to say EM is really great at formulating natural looking shades.
If you're a fair skinned woman with cool undertones with a bit of redness who wants a very natural look, I'd recommend the pink pick me up. But if you're that skin type and you want more coverage than redness neutralizing, yes, this foundation is great in terms of color match, just be prepared for possible melting in your oily spots. Though to be fair, I've noticed this issue with all foundations with all brands: you seem to have to choose between it looking natural or lasting all day.
Update: I've switched the would you buy this again rating to No, but am keeping the overall rating the same. While they haven't done anything to this product, I've found EM has discontinued other products of theirs that I relied on and I don't want to use a brand that might discontinue something. Also, since using Avene cleanser and moisturizer, I've found I need to less coverage and use the EM finishing powder only along my t-zone instead of using this foundation. So, when I use up my EM stuff, I'm going to switch to Alima or Jane Iredale for my light coverage needs. (I already use and love RMS concealer for the undereye area and LOVE it.)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2010 11:16:00 AM More reviews by suzyqz1970

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Now this is a mineral makeup I can work with! It's missing the shine I always got from Bare Minerals. It may be an inferior product to some people but I feel like I can control the application of this much better. I can keep adding layers and not look "cakey". Getting the right color is a bit of a trick. For reference, I'm NC25 in Mac's Studio Fix and I have found that EM Light Neutral and Light Medium. Both work very well for me as they have both yellow and pink undertones. I've even checked the color in natural light and it's pretty darn close to my skin tone. I apply it with a large kabuki brush similar to how you are supposed to apply Bare Minerals. I do apply it over a light moisturizer and primer. I like it! EM has restored my faith in mineral makeup!!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2009 11:24:00 AM More reviews by yunnyunn

In the past, I had tried mineral foundation from BE, Laura Mercier, Clinique, Prescriptives, & Estee Lauder. Most of them are either too shinny (BE) or too heavy (LM), or it doesn't cover well (Clinique). So far, Everyday Minerals is the best brand I had tried. Yes, it is a huge hassle to figure out the right shade since you can only view the shades online. Honestly, it's a pure guessing game. But thank to their free samples and sample size foundation only costs $2.50. And the shipping fee is totally reasonable, ranging from $2 - $3, depends on the size of the order of course. Thank God I didn't give up on trying difference shades. Finally I figured the "Light" shade in the Golden family is the perfect fit for my NC25-NC30 skin tone. It has just enough yellow for my light Asian skin.

The following is a comparison of a few shades I'd tried:
Light - It's slight yellow, for light skin
Light Almond - Very pale yellow, has no pink at all, too light for me
Light Martian - Also yellow, just slightly darker than Light, I can use it too
Buttered Tan - This is slightly dark for me, probably for NC35 skin, may be I can use this in summer
Winged Butter - This is pure yellow, even a bit too yellow for my Asian skin, and just slightly too dark
Light Neutral - Has a little pink in it for light skin

As far as coverage, I tried the intensive version, but I found that slightly too much coverage for me. I have OK good skin, with 2 aged spots and couple acne scars from using GA cream foundation (talk about a horrible experience)... Anyway, I use EM's flat top brush to apply the semi-matte foundation, which it gives dimension to my face, yet not glowy looking at all. My face products enough oil to make me looking glowy around mid-day, even during winter months. For my t-zone, I use the matte version. Though it still doesn't keep my oily t-zone in check using the matte version, I still need to blot my nose every few hours only when I'm in the office. When I'm outside (right now it's winter), my face feels totally comfortable using the semi-matte version for the whole face without needing to blot. The coverage for this foundation is awesome!!!! I don't even need to use concealer. I use the BE max coverage brush to apply the foundation (I usually use the semi-matte version as concealer too, so it's not too cakey) to my dark circles, age & acne spots. Wa la!!! Max coverage that doesn't smear off! I can't believe it. My skin is looking flawless without the makeup look. I would highly recommend this foundation to everyone.

One thing worth mentioning though, this applies to when using any type of mineral foundation, try not to breathe when applying the foundation. I believe there're particles in the foundation that's not very good for our health.

Edit (after a month): While the coverage is still awesome everywhere on my face except my nose. The oiliness is uncontrollable no matter what I do. I am not giving up this mu yet only because it really does create a flawless look for me and the long lasting capability. I just need to blot more during the day. With other foundation, on a normal 12 hours work day, I blot once in the morning, then use Maybelline Dream Matte during lunch, then blot one more in the afternoon. With this mu however, I have to blot 2-3 times in the morning alone, another 2 times in the afternoon. Also I have to use the Dream Matte more often. I think this mu is best for normal to dry skin, 'cause my cheek where is normal not oily at all, this mu is looking perfect all day for 10+ hours.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/10/2009 4:09:00 AM More reviews by serenalol

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I had used EM for a few months and went to try other products. But recently I go back to EM. It's light weight and it makes my skin breath. It does not harm my skin. People mention about the staying power. Well, it does not stay all day on my combination oily skin, and it does turn darker or is oxidized hours after. I don't care. My skin turns darker in the afternoon anyway (I don't know why). The price trumps every cons. It's a great product for $12 (so sad the price goes up). Btw, I am asian and Fairly light neutra l-buff base is a perfect match for me. Semi-matte formula gives me slightly dewy skin without greasy looking, and the soft-focus effect perfects my skin. Looks great in person and on photos. Very natural.
The coverage depends on the type of blush that you use.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/9/2009 7:42:00 AM More reviews by Yukita

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have tried all the different formulas offered by EDM. They all have their pros and Cons.
For reference. I have mostly balanced skin, sometimes oily-er sometimes dryer but in general pretty easy to take care of.

In general, all the formulas are not long-wearing. You will have to re-apply around lunch time. And you should also consider a ’touch-up’ around mid-morning because the foundation starts to fall-off around that time and you can see it separating on the face. Just a quick once over might fix this for a few hours until it starts to happen again... :(
Also, with every formula, it is quite easy to go overboard and get the cakey look, and this line between enough and too much is very small. In this way the makeup is not all that buildable. If you want a bit more coverage and you added another layer, that could be the layer that makes the cake! This will further highlight any lines in your face, as well as settle into the pores, large or small.
MMU foundation looks horrible with cakey so be sure to apply with a light hand.
This leads me to my next point. It didn’t really seem to matter what I did, I could not get the foundation (and concealers) to not settle in my lines and pores. I tried absolutely everything recommended on the (now removed) forum. I used a fixing spray, glycerine water, different routines, different formulas, different finishing powders, it just didn’t get better. I actually had resigned myself to the fact that all MMU would forever make me look older. I started using the foundation much more sparingly, only where absolutely necessary, and I even started non-foundation days, wearing only (non-EDM) blusher or bronzer. This looked 100x better but I just always hoped against hope that somehow the foundation might work for me one day. Sadly, this day never arrived.
I am so thankful that I saw a recommendation for Silk Natural foundation (on the EDM forum funnily enough – this is probably why they took the forum down, they knew their foundations were lack lustre and couldn’t compete in the real world!). Don’t believe all the hype. I am certainly not saying SN will work for you, but I am saying that there are other companies that you should try (they all offer reasonable samples) before you commit to getting full size foundations from EDM (or any one company actually).
This review is true for all the formula’s EDM has to offer. Some will be even more cakey than others, depending perhaps on your skin (and one formula might work better than another for you, but for me, I couldn’t get any of them to work...), but you can be guaranteed that those little lines you never knew you had will appear, and your pores, even if you are lucky enough to have small ones, will now be pronounced.
You’d be much better off not using any foundation than to use EDM ones.
Sorry, I did say I’d give a pro….I think they can be used to make soaps, maybe candles… or some such thing….
My marking:
Overall Rating: 1 – see above
Price: 5 – expensive, because you will end up getting something you cannot use without looking like a cakey mess. This makes it expensive in my mind because it is wasted money. Also, their ingredients are not particularly of high quality (hence the cakiness – there is a major difference in quality in MMU – go on a try other companies and you will be so surprised that EDM uses such low quality for all their makeup, not only foundation) Although you might be surprised to know that in a full size foundation you are only getting less than 1 tablespoon, This is much less than what Bare Escentuals offers in their full size foundations in fact, 2 EDM full size foundations = 1 BE foundation, and this is the same in price. Unless you are ordering enough to avail of the discount, your two FS EDM will cost the same as on BE and you will have the exact same amount of foundation. This is another reason that they are not so cheap as people believe. Don’t be deceived! Do your homework and don't even believe me! Go look for yourself!
Packaging: 3. Mostly neutral. Their foundation have pretty good packaging. But that doesn’t negate all the other problems.

I am glad I emptied all my foundations, dumped them down the toilets. I now have the jars for other MMU!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/9/2009 6:50:00 AM More reviews by quaffy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

EDIT: I can no longer patronise EDM. This company is so different from what it used to be. They frequently change ingredients without changing their labels, and then avoid direct questions about the matter. They choose to ignore or snark customers who have concerns about contaminated or underfilled products. Their attitude comes from the belief that their customers are easily replaced. Overall, bad business practices that should not be rewarded with loyalty.

ORIGINAL POST: I really liked the finish of this foundation when first applied, but it doesn't have good lasting power. It makes my face look really oily after a couple of hours, regardless of any primer or finishing powder. I also suspect that it gives me whiteheads if I wear it for the whole day.

The best thing about it is the range of shades, although it looks like several of the olive bases are about to be discontinued.

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No