MAC Skinfinish-Stereo Rose

4.3

on 7/9/2010 1:35:00 PM

After missing out on Stereo Rose the first time and with all the hype that Marine Life and Ripe Peach got, I made sure to get my hands on this baby this time around. I have to say, I think this product lives up to the hype, although I do wish MAC would just make it permanent because it's very popular and IMO a universally flattering shade of rose/coral/pink that can be used lightly as a highlighter or as a blush with heavier application.

In the pan, SR is a beautiful, shimmery bright coral-red color with very little bronze veining. I think the color in the pan is very unique--it has a glowly effect just in the pan! It looks very bright.

I applied this two ways, lightly with a skunk brush and more heavily with a normal powder/blush brush. Applied lightly, SR give a nice light coral/pink with definite shimmer. I don't now if this would be good right on the skin if you have oily/combo skin and large pores. I got around this issue by using a primer that reduces the appearance of pores. Applied more heavily, SR gives a very pretty coral/rose hue that also definitely has shimmer. However, I have to say that the shimmer is a lot nicer than a lot of other MSFs because it's not definitively gold or silver, but more of a skin-toned shimmer. Therefore, it doesn't look too cool or too warm, but just that your skin has some sheen. You definitely don't need to use a highlighter if you are using this product as a blusher. I really love the color of this as a blush, it's just lovely. It provides a nice subtle glow and highlights your cheeks in such a way that looks like you've contoured your face, because there are also darker rosier undertones.

One downside is that I've noticed it does not last very long at all, even with primer. You might need to layer this on top of a lightly pigmented cream blush to provide something for SR to stick to.

Overall, I'm glad I got SR. It's very very pretty, easy to use and looks great on my skin tone (i'm NC20-25 for reference), and I'd definitely buy it again. It's too bad it's so LE, as I probably don't love it SO much that I would try this hard again to get it, but I'll be sad when I use it up! MAC if you're reading this please make this permanent!

on 7/9/2010 12:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I absolutely adore Stereo Rose. I missed it on its first go 'round, so I made sure to get it this time. I was out of town on the release day(7/8/10) - gasp! - but was lucky enough to get the last one of three at my local counter after all the other MACs anywhere near me in Philadelphia/South Jersey sold out. It's a gorgeous corally color with a sheen, and looks great on my NC20 skin. I have a bit of a tan now, and it still looks wonderful and natural, and so summery. I use a very soft fan brush from Sephora to apply it (the one with the pink handle from the IT collection) and it gives just the right amount, and I can still build it without looking like a clown. I think it is definitely worth the $28USD since the pan is so large, and so little product is needed to achieve a great look. I have had other MSFs for years without nearly coming to the pan, but if I ever run low on this when it is next repromoted, I will be sure to snag it!

on 7/9/2010 7:34:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

The color is a really pretty peachy coral color and it adds a nice sheen to the skin and it's not glittery. I couldn't use this as a highlighter because it is a deeper kind of color. The only reason I didn't give this product 5 stars is because of the price. I'm pretty sure the price has been increased and without any kind of announcement, which I think is shady. Other than that, a nice color but probably easily matched with a peach blush.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

PREMISE: *Sigh* You know, I really got to stop watching YouTube. It makes me want things that I might otherwise pass on. (Again, read my Flurry of Fun review.) The sad part is that in my "real" life, I rarely succumb to peer pressure and yet, when it comes to makeup, I can't seem to stop myself from jumping on the bandwagon. PRODUCT REVIEW: It's coral. I like coral. I don't love coral, though. So why the hell did I pay $28 for something I just "like"? It's pretty, but in some light it reminds me of mineralized version Marine Life sans the gold overspray (and oh how I loath Marine Life). When the MA put SR on my freckled cheeks, it looked nice, but nothing special. I have other blushes that I adore more than this. (And it doesn't appear to be anything that couldn't be duped with a mineralized blush and highlighter.) ANALYSIS: So why did I buy it if it's just ok? It's that whole "limited edition" factor. I had the same conversation I had with myself when I saw the Alice in Wonderland BOS at Sephora. "Everyone wants this so it must be great. It's so limited, I am gonna be kicking myself in butt if I don't get it now." All of sudden, the "okay" looking coral blush became a "must have." PROFOUND QUESTION: With that said, I don't want to return this because I am not sure what MAC does with returned products, and I would hate to see such a desired item end up in the dump. (This riddle is much like that of socks in the dryer: Does anyone know where returned MAC products go?) ACTION PLAN: I am gonna put this up for swap and see if I can get hard to find items on my wishlist. If in a few months I don't swap for this for something I adore, I will use it. Stereo Rose is not horrible, just not wonderful. BOTTOM LINE: Dear Stereo Rose, I was in lust with you earlier today. You gave me heart palputations and flushed cheeks. What more could a girl ask for? Those moments of passion have proved to be fleeting, as lust often is. Stereo Rose, my little coral butterfly, I am going to send you out into the world in the hopes that you find someone to love you the way I can't. And if in the end, you remain with me, then I guess it was meant to be....Not to ruin the poetry of this moment, but I have to make this clear: If you do stick around, Stereo Rose, don't be mad if Light Flush gets a lot more action than you do! :)

on 7/9/2010 1:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

I wasn't sure how this one would show up on my NC50 skin, but I am glad I lucked out and got this one. I love the way it imparts a nice glow on my face. I can see this lasting for a long time, because it doesn't take much. I'm sure this will look nice layered with other blushes well.

on 7/9/2010 1:06:00 AM

I don't get what the hype is with this, and honestly after trying it, it is not suitable for my fair complexion. I don't know why so many people are going crazy over this because it seems too dark for a lot of people. Even the MAC SA counter thought so. The actual product is pretty, and if I had medium to dark skin, I could totally see trying to obtain one. But on me, it was very dirty and brown. I prefer Petticoat better!

Funny story.... the MAC SA said that this morning, there were 3 ladies waiting when the counter opened. They all wanted Stereo Rose. Well, they only got in 2. That SUCKS for the 3rd lady.

on 7/9/2010 12:24:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Not sure about the hype, I guess its probably because this is the first re-release of this MSF.

It was sold out in the MAC near my house but I asked the MAC lady to show me the tester so I can take a look. It was really pretty coral orange color in the pan and I like the look of it. I then swatched it but found out it was really frosty to a point that might look off as a blush if you need to build up the color with more than 2 swipes, but it was also clearly too dark as a highlighter. Maybe it would be perfect for a fair skinned lady, but for me I still prefer a less frosty blush. Colorwise, I'm pretty sure you can find a similar coral blush somewhere and just jazzed it up with some highlighter.

on 7/9/2010 12:23:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Do I like this? Yes. Do I love it? Eh...Do I get the hype? Maybe. Overall on my NC30 skin this is a pretty coralish blush though it is a lil frosty for my taste. I would say for a coral blush I prefer springsheen, coralista, or hipness to this. I think its worth $28 but not the money its going for on Ebay. Not HG status IMO

on 7/9/2010 12:04:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I called my counter the morining it released at 11:15am and had this put on hold, and it was the LAST one! There was sooo much hype, I just had to see for myself. On me it is beautiful! I am always searching for the perfect coral/peach blush and this one fits perfectly! On me I see no pink at all. It is golden peachy coral. It is not overly frosty either. By itself it is more than a highlight and it gives a decent amount of color. I tried it on top of Milani Mai Tai blush and it is perfect! So happy I was able to get this one! I am MAC NW 45 for reference.

on 7/8/2010 11:23:00 PM

is it worth the hype? probably not, but do I like it ? oh yes I do. At first I thought it might be too pink for me which eh, I don't like but it's actually a bit more coral-y than pink. it does apply nice, it's not incredibly shimmery so yeah, it's good, it's pretty. If it had been more than $28 I'm not sure I would have bought it though. Will I purchase it again? I think this will last me for a while before I hit pan so if it gets re promoted and I feel like I'm running out I probably will.

Video Reviews & Tutorials