August 22, 2014 | 1683 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Smashbox - Photo Finish Primer

rated 2 of 5 on 4/12/2013 12:32:00 PM More reviews by aobheall

I've never put this on my face so I can't vouch for any pore minimising effect or oil control but all I did was swatch it on the back of my hand and 4 hours later I had pimples. On my hand. For the first time ever. Definitely not something I'll waste so much money on period.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/9/2013 11:21:00 PM More reviews by kaicg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm not a fan of Smashbox primers, I've tried many including this and they never seem to do anything or they make my skin worse (and I don't have terribly reactive skin to begin with). I also dislike the texture and feeling of it when it's on my skin. Especially for the cost ($45+ CAD) I expect better. Smashbox has some nice products, but I find most stuff over-hyped and overpriced.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/8/2013 11:41:00 PM More reviews by tinadang14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this product. I get oily in my T-zone throughout the day & this kept it under control. Used it for about a year but it's so pricey I had to find a cheaper substitute. I have found is the Revlon PhotoReady Primer. It's not as great & you will have to blot but it's 1/3 of the price.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/8/2013 9:23:00 PM More reviews by GrandPriestess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use a face primer for a few reasons. First being, I have pretty oily skin and need some hep with keeping my face makeup on, matte and flawless all day. Secondly, If I noticed if I don't use one, I tend to break out more from any foundation that I use. Speaking of which, this primer has not caused any breakouts for me at all.
A lot of the reviews for this deterred me from buying this primer for a very long time. Ulta had a Smashbox primer trio on sale and I had a coupon, so I said..."Screw It, I can always return it. " and bought it.
There is no way in hell I'm returning it.
I am so blown away at how well this works for me. I actually went without powder today...I have oily skin people...That's normally a BIG no-no.
Yes, it's a little on the expensive side. But so its the Tarte Poreless (also a silicone base) one that I have been using and loving. This really makes everything about my foundation better. My texture is DEFINITELY more even and smooth. Also, I use less foundation because it holds the pigment of the product better. And the rest of my makeup on top lasted a lot longer as well...IE Blush/Bronzer etc.
I cant believe I was missing out on such a great product. I'm in love. =)

rated 2 of 5 on 4/6/2013 7:26:00 AM More reviews by susieglass

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This feels nice on, and left a velvety finish, but it made my foundation cling around my eyebrows and the corners of my nose, and I needed to reapply makeup throughout the day as normal anyway.

For me, it served no function other than feeling quite nice.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/27/2013 10:53:00 PM More reviews by DominicMasters

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have oily/combination skin and so wasn't expecting amazing things from this primer as my skin tends not to like the more powdery, silky primers like this, Too Faced Primed and Poreless and MAC Matte creme. Still, I thought I'd give it a try as I got a free sample with an order of other Smashbox products.

I hate it. As much as it isn't marketed as a mattifying primer exactly, you wouldn't expect an oil-free primer to turn you into a hideous greasy mess quite as quickly as this one managed to do to me. I've used it with a few different foundations and it even managed to make Revlon Colorstay for Oily/Combo skin melt off which is a pretty impressive feat. I don't completely love Colorstay but it certainly doesn't give up without a fight when I've used other primers, and this one managed to have it sliding off my nose within an hour.

I didn't find that it smoothed out pores or fine lines, or that it even made foundation go on particularly well either. Really not great for my skin at all.

I'm not surprised that it didn't work for me, but I certainly didn't expect it to be quite that bad. Would definitely not repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/22/2013 12:46:00 PM More reviews by selmahellum

I really love this product.I have the regular, clear silicone-based one. It smoothens my skin, mattifyes and keeps the oil in check. It really does make a huge difference to how my foundation looks, i find that it removes the sort of "layer/mask" look it can have if you wear foundation without primer. I like the packaging a lot, its easy to work with, hygenic, allows control of how much product you want, and it's easy to get every last drop of product out. Yes, it is kims of pricy but hey, you get what you pay for, none of the cheaper primers i've tried ever did the trick for me.I also love how long it lasts, didn't have to repurchase before six months after buying my first one. I think the fact that it lasts that long justifies how pricy it is, seeing how you won't have to buy it very often. It never breaks me out, even though my skin is very prone to acne and blackheads. My only "complaint" is that the second tube i bought had a different, more thin and watery consistancy than the first one. I don't know if it was just something wrong with my tube, though. It didn't make a big difference at all, it still is my holy grail primer and i love it and use it every day, but i did feel like it was less mattifying and less heavy covering, which is why i gave it 4 (look at it as a 4,5 :) ) star-rating. I would really reccommend trying this out if you're looking for a new primer.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2013 2:52:00 PM More reviews by nic17ola

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Been using this primer for about 3 years now, absolutely love it, feels like silk when you apply it to your face and makes your foundation glide onto your face, wouldn't be without this :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2013 8:44:00 AM More reviews by morphinization

It seems most silicone-based primers get hate due to the fact that they have silicones. I, for one, love silicone primers. I love how they just glide over the skin and mattify oily/combo skin, and manage to make make-up last longer (combined with a translucent powder). This product does what it's supposed to do and it doesn't break me out. I also found the consistency to be a little thicker and less-runny compared to MUFE's, which I didn't like at all. I also love the fact that this primer is paraben-free. Just goes to show that primers are really all about personal preferences! To anybody considering buying a primer I would just say to ask for testers of various primers and see how they feel on your skin and choose whichever one you think feels best!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2013 8:20:00 PM More reviews by crickett85

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I like Smashbox Photo Finish Primer. Like, not love. It glides on smoothly, does not make my dry skin stand out, has good lasting ability.
I still have to put moisturizer under it. I have very dry skin, I have to put moisturizer on under everything so that is not a big deal. So I wash my face, apply a thin layer of L'Oreal Age Perfect Golden Balm and (if a really dry spell or really cold outside and I'm going out) then a small amount of (high glycerin which is also your primary ingredient in Algenist) Avon Moisture Therapy Hand Cream (yes, to my face).

Now I apply the Smashbox primer. It goes on smoothly and wears well. For hours. I can apply Tarte 12-hour BB Tinted Primer and it wears well. Only the Tarte wears even better over MUFE HD primer and it does not feel like rubber on my face. Smashbox DOES feel like rubber on my face. An odd rubbery feeling. That is what I deducted 1 lippie for.

So I can wear Smashbox. But I prefer MUFE HD Primer if wearing Tarte or something sheer. And, I prefer MISSHA M BB Boomer if wearing a Korean BB cream because it also does not leave me with the rubbery feel, costs less and (yes it has that light "glow") the "glow" to MISSHA M BB Boomer is not a problem if you are as "Twilight" white as I am anyway.

So 4 lippies for hours of wearability in a variety of weather conditions, ability to make face appear flawless when applied under Tarte 12-hour BB or regular foundation and not making my very dry skin look like one of those faces on Mt. Rushmore. 1 lippie off for making my face feel rubbery and, I think; thus probably being somewhat comedogenic if worn for a prolonged period of time.

Kind of expensive at $34 for a 1 ounce tube at Sephora. But worth trying in Try it kit size, sample or Travel or GWP size to see if it works for you.