September 23, 2014 | 1881 users online

Pressed Powders - E.L.F. - Clarifying Pressed Powder

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 3/25/2010 8:22:00 PM More reviews by Silrayan

Admittedly I'm pretty pale, but even the lightest shade was waaaay too dark and orange. I sometimes use it as eyeshadow, though. I'd consider buying it again (to keep in my purse for touchups) if they had a true-pale color.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2010 5:47:00 AM More reviews by AmazinglyUnamazing

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I remember trying this powder about two years ago in Tone 2, now known as Honey. I was pretty ecstatic to find a pressed powder that was only one dollar. So I bought it, tried it, and was disappointed. It made me look orange, like I had a fake tan. Ew.

So later I decided to give this powder another try, but in a lighter shade, Tone 1 or Apricot Beige. This time it was perfect. I used a brush to apply it, which gave it a more natural appearance. It controls oil fairly well, but what's ironic is the fact that it contains mineral oil and it is rather high on the ingredient list. Funny, this is a clarifying pressed powder filled with beneficial ingredients? Reading the ingredients label, I could see that it was pure bs. I could have sued them for false advertisement. But I didn't especially since this powder looked amazing.

Other than that, overall I would rate this a four. Nice coverage, can't really feel it on my skin, didn't accentuate my pores, didn't break out from it. Except I despise that there is fragrance and mineral oil in this. Also there is nothing beneficial in it for your skin. But it's cheap, it works, can't complain much there. The packaging is simple, a cheap plastic container with no mirror. I have no problem with that, never experienced it breaking. I prefer its simple package design, I'd rather pay for the product, instead of paying a ridiculous high price for fancy packaging and getting a crappy product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2010 5:07:00 AM More reviews by satinsheets

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm quite pleased with this brand so far. I have this in Light Beige shade, which is an almost exact shade match for me. I wear mineral makeup but late in the afternoon, my face gets shiny, oily and not so cute. This is a wonderful touch up powder, that controls shine, but still somehow manages to let your skin have a glow, instead of looking masky. I don't know about the "clarifying" benefits but I will see if it helps in that regard. So far I'm happy with this powder, compact is dinky and cheap looking, but at least it's small and can fit in your pocket easily!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2010 2:25:00 AM More reviews by shinewin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This pressed powder is ok. Not the best i had used, but you can't blame it for it's price. Very affordable.
My skin reacts to it every time i try to put it on. I wont be getting this now more. As far as the oil control goes, it very good. It eliminates shine right away, but ti also fades away fast. I think the formula for this powder is too thin or something. It's goes on light, but fades quickly away, maybe last 1 to 3 hours depending if you are moving around or not. I have very oily skin so it didn't work too great with my skins.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/22/2010 5:22:00 PM More reviews by VickyS169318

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

im fair and i use the all over cover stick in fair which is perfect, so i bought this powder in fair thinking it will be a similar colour. As soon as i saw the powder i knew it was too dark. I tried it anyway and it's so dark on me i actually use it as a bronzer :') believe it or not.
so if you are fair don't bother buying it.
I cant comment on its effectiveness as a powder because i can't use it as its too dark. :(
oh well, it only cost 1.50 so it's not that dissapointing. Im waiting for the elf studio high definition powder to become available online as it is transparent.
packaging is good.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2009 2:09:00 PM More reviews by funkameleon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

The packaging is totally cheap, but I LOVE THIS POWDER!!! I have several back-ups in my makeup kit. This is one of the few powders I have found that doesn't give me a "powdery" look. It also covers very well and evens out redness in my cheeks. I use Tone 1 and it works wonders on my skin!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/13/2009 1:49:00 PM More reviews by mirandaugh

I've noticed that ELF recently added more color options for this particular product. I'm quite fair and the Tone 1 (now simply called "apricot beige") was too dark for me. There are now 3 more options, one being ivory. It's finally light enough for me. This product is certainly not the best powder out there but in a pinch it will do, and for a dollar it's not like you're losing out on a ton of money. I suggest that any fair skinned girls who tried Tone 1 initially and found it too dark might want to try purchasing one of the new color options and see if it suits their skin tone better. Also, apply it with a brush, not the puff it comes with - the color goes on yellowy/unnatural with the puff, but dusting it on with a brush works very well.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/6/2009 6:14:00 AM More reviews by bobbob616

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this because it was cheap for a foundation (R35 in South Africa, about US$4.6). I intended to use it as a contouring powder. I am a NC 25 and I use E.L.F. Tone 2 for contouring. It's actually quite good. It doesn't break me out and has staying power and completely easily blendable.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/6/2009 4:32:00 PM More reviews by Cowansrus

I tried this product out for like a week in Tone 1 and 2. I am pretty tan so I thought it was kind of weird the colors were so dark. I wanted to give it enough of a chance before I wrote it off but it does look cakey and orange on my skin. I thought it didn't until I started checking my make up after a few hours of having it on or looking at pictures of myself where my face looks orange and the rest of me white. The packaging also sucks!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/4/2009 12:14:00 PM More reviews by mistyrioux

I am very fair and bought the "Tone 1" thinking it might be too pale. My concern was unfounded, as the shade that arrived is a very warm medium apricot.
The powder is packed hard, and looks grainy. It doesn't gather on the puff without a lot of pressure. When using a brush, most of the powder ended up on the edges of the pan, not the bristles.
Once on, it adds a definite orange cast. Put all over my face, I looked like a little girl playing with her mother's self tanner. If it was a browner tone, I'd suggest it could be used as a bronzer.
As it is, I generally only use powder on my t-zone, which is impossible with this product, as it looked like I had orange stripes on my face. I can't use it as an "emergency" powder, and I certainly wouldn't give this colour to a little girl to play with - she'd look ridiculous.
On the plus side, the price is right,and the packaging is cute and consistent with the brand's other products. It's not the most secure compact, but it's never popped open on me either.
As for the promised scent, I didn't really notice.